Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

So i was curious how many of you have told your parents you are a Brony and what do they think of that? if you haven't told them do you think you will. and same question with friends and people at school. thanks!

and me all my friends know and they are turning into bronies now to except for a few who refuse to watch it but oh well. and my parents just think its just a weird internet thing i dont think they realize i watch it on tv =D

• Brohoof 3

My parents kinda make fun of me. They giggle everytime I mention anything about ponies and mock me with it at every possible oportunity.

But I don't really care. I am who I am. A furry, a brony, a person.

Also I think that people mocking others for reasons such as watching My Little Pony should atleast try to watch it themselves so they have something to judge by.

Edited by Lamii
  • Brohoof 6

Neither of my parents know (maybe), and I don't intend for either to find out. My dad knowing would likely cause nothing but problems for me, as he tends to not be undertanding of other peoples tastes if they do not match his own. Coupled with the fact that he has Bipolar Disorder would just make the whole situation much worse than it would need to be. My mom, however, wouldn't care one bit that I am a Brony. The only problem with that is she would inevitibly tell my dad, which brings us back to point one.

There is a possibility that my dad has stumbled upon my Broniness by abusing the privacy of my cell phone while I was sleeping. (I know for a fact he did, cause he certainly didn't do a good job of covering his tracks) In which case he either truly doesn't care that I like ponies, or he is following my every move on this site and is likely going to read this post at some point. I quite honestly don't care though. I just wish that if he is stalking my account here, that he would just "confront" me about it and hopefully be understanding about something in my life for once. It's not like enjoying a show about ponies is anything to be ashamed of, I just don't want a nuclear explosion to go off just because I do.

• Brohoof 5

Neither of my parents know (maybe), and I don't intend for either to find out. My dad knowing would likely cause nothing but problems for me, as he tends to not be undertanding of other peoples tastes if they do not match his own. Coupled with the fact that he has Bipolar Disorder would just make the whole situation much worse than it would need to be. My mom, however, wouldn't care one bit that I am a Brony. The only problem with that is she would inevitibly tell my dad, which brings us back to point one.

There is a possibility that my dad has stumbled upon my Broniness by abusing the privacy of my cell phone while I was sleeping. (I know for a fact he did, cause he certainly didn't do a good job of covering his tracks) In which case he either truly doesn't care that I like ponies, or he is following my every move on this site and is likely going to read this post at some point. I quite honestly don't care though. I just wish that if he is stalking my account here, that he would just "confront" me about it and hopefully be understanding about something in my life for once. It's not like enjoying a show about ponies is anything to be ashamed of, I just don't want a nuclear explosion to go off just because I do.

Wow your story pretty accurately describes mine!

Except that my mom knows (she paid for my Brony shirt at Hot Topic) but didn't really give it a second thought as anything serious so my dad is none the wiser! My dad isn't bipolar though so I guess that's a plus, but he is VERY intolerant when it comes to those who contradict his conservative catholic beliefs! (He once threatened to kill me and himself if I were gay... good thing I'm not but that's a horrible thing to say to your child!) Though ponies don't exactly contradict his beliefs I suppose, but I'm sure he wouldn't have a positive reaction.

Shame that people around me don't quite understand me. I've only had one positive response in my life when it comes to being a Brony. My mom and little sisters kind of shrugged it off (though one of them expressed interest in watching it so I'll link her the YouTube vids). Two of my friends who know make fun of me for it which is annoying but i don't really care.

But yeah that leaves only one positive response and that would be a friend of mine who saw me defending Bronies on Facebook and said it was cool! :D

They don't know. And they never will know.

It's not really ponies specifically that I'm embarrassed about. I don't really care and I often blurt it out to non-parental people. It's made easier by the fact that I'm female, which makes it seem a lot less weird. It's just that my parents, particularly my father, often dismiss the fantastical things I like as nonsense.

They'd just not stop ribbing me about liking "monsters" (since to them, the ponies would not look cute, but look like monsters. They wouldn't even understand what they are by looking at them. They feel the same way about Pokémon, which is a similar interest that they know about and my dad disapproves of because he thinks it "puts things in my head") and my dad in particular would tell me that I need to stop liking magical things and to get a grip on reality. My dad thinks that liking stuff like that are the cause of depression and making you mentally nuts.

If you read Harry Potter, think the Dursleys. They're like that.

Yes, I know, it doesn't make sense. I'm so used to irrationality and nonsense from my parents that I don't particularly care or am bothered by it anymore.

Although my mom would probably care a lot less. But I'd still be bothered by her about it, in a teasing way that I don't really want. I might show her the ponies I've drawn, but eh, only if I'm in that weird random mood where I feel like blurting out stuff.

My sister is the only family member who knows. She doesn't particularly care, and thinks the ponies look cute even though she doesn't watch them. In fact, she likes it when I draw her as a pony. Apparently, she enjoys the ponysona I created for her.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 1

My Parents are cool and don't care about anything I do. Now not the 'whatever' kind of care but the 'you do what you want to do' kind of care. So me being a brony only got a chuckle out of my Step Father but that was it, no comment about the Twilight Sparkle Figurine on my speaker ( She is beautiful <3 ) or the backgrounds I had on my Desktop.

They were a little shocked a first since I came out of the brony closet by buying a Rainbow Dash brushable toy but they've accepted it and think it's fine. I showed my mom the first bit of Hearths Warming Eve and she didn't seem to like it much, she just gave me the "are you being serious" face XD

My Dad usually mocks me on it and makes fun of me (in a sarcastic way) and Mom finds it fascinating and weird all at the same time. She says my eyes sparkle when I talk about ponies every time! :P

They know about my ponyness but not my bronyness if that makes sense. They have no knowledge of this site or the unsual fanbase.

This is accurate to me as well. They'd probably think I was really stupid if they new how much time I spend here doing stuff with the fanbase :/

My Mum doesn't really care but she probably doesn't know how big a part it plays in my life.

My Dad doesn't know but I don't try to hide it so he'll probably find out soon. I doubt he'll do more than mock me a bit.

As for my friends, they all know, most of them hate it but don't hold anything against me for it.

My dad still teases me jokingly from time to time but he knows now about the whole brony thing and why people like it. I've actually gotten my mom and sister to start watching it now so WINNING! :D