Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

A couple friends give me a pretty hard time because of it. My mom originally thought I was gay, then put it on the same level as Barney and Telletubbies, but figured it was fine after a little while and just accepted it. My dad didn't mind at all, just kind of rolled his eyes at my first pony shirt

My dad hardly knows what's going on. My brother couldn't care less and my mom knows about it doesn't care that I spent money on pony merc and no one has asked any questions. I was embarrassed to come out but happy with the outcome

Well my dad will know soon, since I'm buying a doctor whooves toy. Here's how I think it'll go down

Dad: What did ya get?

Me: This *shows doctor whooves toy in all its glory

Dad: Whats that?

Me: Just a my little pony toy.

Dad: So your into ponies now?

Me: Ya.

Dad: Well that's weird. Anyways, I gotta go pee, PRINCESS!

Me: FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Edited by Redhawk915
  • Brohoof 1

I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if my parents or friends found out. My mom would probably become extremely concerned and think there was something wrong with me. She'd do a lot of research, find out about clop, then completely ban me from watching the show. My step dad would shun me for the rest of my life. I know he hates people like us; it wouldn't end well. My one friend would never let me hear the end of it, and then drop our friendship after a while. My other friend would make fun of me for a while, but would let it go eventually.

So to some it up, I'm never telling anybody.

I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if my parents or friends found out. My mom would probably become extremely concerned and think there was something wrong with me. She'd do a lot of research, find out about clop, then completely ban me from watching the show. My step dad would shun me for the rest of my life. I know he hates people like us; it wouldn't end well. My one friend would never let me hear the end of it, and then drop our friendship after a while. My other friend would make fun of me for a while, but would let it go eventually.

So to some it up, I'm never telling anybody.

Wow, rough. My mom just said "ok......So?" And as you may have read my dad doesn't know yet.

My parents where really cool with it. My father has nothing against it and my mother actually watched a few episodes. She likes Pinkie Pie. :)

• Brohoof 1

I told my friend before high school started what I had done that summer... "Shooting a shotgun, doing archery, climbing a 50-foot rock wall, riding a 300+ foot rollercoaster, going fishing, climbing a cliff, leaving the country, driving a car, driving an ATV, lighting explosives, jumping off a cliff, and marathoning My Little Pony."

He then went "Damn it I told you not to be a brony!" But it was a joking kinda way.  :lol: 

• Brohoof 1

My mom was weirded out at first, but she learned to accept it. My step dad does as well and he makes harmless jokes like calling me pony boy or whatever. I don't mind that. My grandparents didn't care at all, and they actually buy me pony merch from time to time. My "friends" don't really accept me for it at all. They make fun of me for liking it. They'll ask questions like "Why do you like that show?" I'll tell them that it has good writing, good characterization, etc. but they make fun of me for saying that too. It annoys me a little. The show is pretty good. I usually keep it out of discussions.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Brother asked why I had become a brony but after that could care less. Mom figured it out as I hinted a little and went through her to buy some pony Merch but she doesnt care and my dad doesn't know he thinks it's pokemon. Friends are like wtf really? Others are geeky like me and understand. No bad reactions although when I have bought Merch people are extremely weirded out

Edited by alpinefroggy

(edited)

I never meant for my parents to find out about it, but they did...I never bring it up, but my brother found me looking at ponies once though and immediately told them. My brothers and dad constantly mock me for being a pegasister, they think all the stereotypes about bronies being creepy are true and refuse to try to understand it. They always bring it up first just to make fun of me for it, but I don't really care. My mom has been more understanding. She asked about it and after I kind of explained what bronies were and a little about the show, she's okay with it and even said she wants to watch an episode with me.

My friends don't know.

Edited by Emerald Star

Everyone knows I'm a brony, no one cares about it. My friends like to screw me over with it and my girlfriend just shakes her head and sighs, but they don't mind that I like the show.

I guess my parent's main reaction was: "...seriously? My Little Pony? Gaaaaaaaaaaaay!" (Some context here: my stepdad and I have a habit of calling each other gay. Neither of us mean anything by it and we're certainly not homophobic)

My girlfriend's reaction was just "...right...", with one of those expressions that just say, "Oh god why". She doesn't have any problems with it, though.

My friends just reacted with "Hah, gaaaaaaay!" and one of them has taken to calling me Princess Twilight Sparkle, but I'm fine with that, really.

(edited)

Well, before ponies, I already liked stuff like Pokémon so I think that made it easier. They don't understand it, but they accept it. They also buy me pony merch when I have birthday, name day or at Christmas so yeah :D

Edited by Elchar

• 9 months later...

When I wasn't in the closet, I just constantly told everyone. I told my parents, and from what I remember, my mother I'm sure just found it cute. I think my dad had an ”Uh.. OK..?" reaction. My friend thought a little weird about it, but didn't mind. However with all the reactions I got from many people, I decided to start to hide it.

My parents don't know about it, and I have no intention of telling them. I haven't had any friends for over a decade now, so that's not even something I have to worry about.

My sister is the only person who actually knows. When I told her I've been watching the show, all she said was, "That's a sign you're coming apart". She's never said anything else negative about it, but I can sense that she's a bit uncomfortable with it. For that reason, I don't talk about it much.

My parents ultimately knew right from the start. They were the ones who first bought me Rainbow Dash as Build-a-Bear for my birthday, and while I was recovering from an ACL repair, my dad even watched for first episodes with me. They don't mind at all.

With my friends, it's about the same. I have one friend who sort of got excited when she saw me watching Rarity Takes Manehattan, and another friend whom I hadn't seen in a while was excited when he saw my Twilight plush. One friend doesn't bring it up and has never watched the show, although I showed her the part of Slice of Life with Gummy and she laughed a bit. She lets me talk about it occasionally, and I do my best not to pester her with it.

And one time when I was at a children's museum for my niece's first birthday a brony actually came up to me and said he loved my shirt with best pony on it (Twilight Sparkle). I haven't met a single person who hates me for watching ponies.

Edited by PhotoEquestria

hmm.

My friends are all open minded gamers (well most) although none are bronies/ pegasisters but they are ok with it, annoyed when I try to push anything MLP related there way but that is just me now and they accept that.

My family was another kettle of fish, my mother was first confused but now she's fine with it, just me becoming something else growing was you will, dad oh dad he thought I was gay! He's very old school so a girl's show for a 21 year old guy, his gay alarm went off. But he too has since come around both of them now accept it like me being a gamer or paintball enthusiast. 

Both my parents know, and they're fine with it. In fact, my mom said she likes Pinkie Pie, and my dad once said that the songs from MLP are up there with those from Phineas and Ferb (he really likes the songs on that show) for the best songs on a TV show.

I don't live at home anymore, but when I first started watching the show, I did. I don't even remember how the conversation with my mom went. She is neutral toward it, really. My parents have not been involved in my personal life since about high school, anyway.

My step father was more confused than anything else, heh. I'll never forget the time my brother and I were watching it out in the open and he walked by. He said, "What is that, Rainbow Brite?" Even I'm not old enough to get that, heh.

My friends at the time were neutral to supportive. Nowadays, the people around me will sometimes watch it with me, particularly the Equestria Girls movies, when they're bored or have nothing better to do. So I've been pretty fortunate in that regard.