Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

my entire family is pretty chill about me liking ponies. My mom even got me some mlp toys for christmas. My friends on the other hand are a bit less tolerant. Most don't give a shit but some constantly make fun of me for it. I'm a pretty carefree person so I don't care much though.

I consider myself lucky, you could say (considering other people's stories, that makes me a bit sad because of what I have XC). When i showed my parents, they were quite okay, and were all "For real?" when I told them about some intresting facts, and my dad even likes some songs some brony musicians have done, which to me is just great. My sister is also okay. I have only told two people outside my family, one who is now a brony, and the other that is cool and laughs at some of the parodies we bronies do. There's also my cousin from Peru (I'm half-Argentinian, half-Peruvian), who also likes the show, and given she's also a Doctor Who fan, she always laughs whenever somehting combined happens. I haven't told my other friends but because I'm scared, which truthfully speaking, I shouldn't...but...).

You guys make it sound like being a brony is some sort of freak cult that people will care tremendously about. That said, my parents don't give a crap about MLP or the ninety-seven other TV-shows I watch. My brother seems to think it's a bit weird, but he's 13, so yeah.

I think if anyone actually has so medieval parents that they care about what you watch, you should just not bring it up again. It's not something they need to know, in most cases at least. Trying to teach them why you like the show etc makes you look so serious about it they're more likely to be weirded out by that than your like for the show, I promise you.

It's not that we make it a weird-cult or something. It's that others CAN think the same thing, and that's what scares us. Other shouldn't give a damn if they don't like it? Sure, but how many times does that happen? I can agree on the other thing though. Whenever you're defending a position so hard, it always makes you look more suspicious or weird, according to the situation, and this is no different. Say you like it, see how they react. If good, great! If now bronies, EXCELLENT! If don't but cool, okay. If don't and don't give a damn, okay. If now a hater, don't feed the parasprites. That's all I think needs to be said.
  • Brohoof 1

My mom found out on my birthday when she asked what I wanted and showed here a Rainbow Dash shirt online. She asked me what show it's from, I told her My Little Pony. She was totally cool with it and even jokes with me about it from time to time. My dad was a lot more cool with it then I thought, he found out when we went to Toys R Us to get some of the blind bags. I'll admit I was a bit bashful telling him that I came to buy My Little Pony toys, but he's a advit toy collector so I guess that's way he understands. My second eldest sister, I'm the youngest, doesn't really care. She probably is greatful that I am a brony since the show seems to keep my niece still long enough for her to get things done. My eldest sister seems like she doesn't care either but she does bust my chops by asking if I'm gay. My brother doesn't know since I really don't see him since he lives in Portland.

As for my friends, for the non Brony ones it was a bit hard for them to adjust, but this only because they thought I was one of those fans that try to shove MLP down their throughts and bug them to watch the show. They got used to it and now it's back to the way it was before.

I used to like MLP during G1 when I was younger, so when I told my parents I liked FiM, they were just like, "oh, you like My Little Pony again? That's cool." They think the whole brony phenomenon is very interesting/cool. My friends mostly have pretty nerdy interests, so they really don't care either. In my circle, it's actually kind of cool to like things that most would consider "nerdy." :)

ETA - I have converted my sister into a brony/pegasister, though. She wasn't convinced at first, but "Party of One" really won her over.

Edited by Carolina

Nobody knows I'm a brony. Or at least I hope not.

I would like to keep it that way.... if I came out of the Pony Closet I'd be ripped for years.

short answer: they don't care.

long answer: they REEEEAAAAAALLLLLY don't care. why should they? i've been an oddball my whole life, and it hasn't made them anymore judging towards who i am as a person. why should me liking this cartoon make their stance anymore different towards me?

My family and friends just laughed. Not an insulting laugh, it was a "Oooooh now I get it." laugh. Me and my friends just joke around about it. My family doesn't care. My mom will watch the show with me, she likes it a tad.

I never will tell my parents. My dad would most likely consider me entirely homo, which I think he thinks I already am. And my mom would just think it is stupid. My brother knows, and he's made fun of me for it but at least doesn't bother telling my parents. I've only told a few of my friends about it, those I know wouldn't mind or would even accept it and some are bronies themselves and they're happy for me.

• 1 month later...

i've been a brony for about.....6 months now and i was wondering how have other bronies friends react to them being a brony? my friends werent very positive about it but they are now alright with me being one, as long as i dont shove it down there throats like religion or something and i even made some of them like the show too! :D so i was wondering, how did YOUR friends react to YOU becoming a brony?

• Brohoof 2

Honestly I got questions like this: "Are you gay?" "Do you collect them?" I also got some negative feedback: "Your so gay." "Ponies are for little girls dumbass!" Lulz haters gonna hate though. :3

Edited by I Sarcasm I
  • Brohoof 3

i didnt tell anyone i was a brony since i knew of all the harsh comments i would get from people but then i heard this song, this one particular song that made me realise, it ok for me to be a brony and no one can tell me different! song: Great to be different by puttrustinfate, give it a listen while your at it! :)

Myy two friends were like: "How can you watch that, it's girly and all?" and "I'd never watch a show like that." but they were neutral towards the show.

They both decided to watch an episode. One of them is now a proud Brony and the other said the show was cool but it wasn't his style. Still, he watches pony related stuff with us.

Well, I can say it went pretty well.

Edited by Lonewolf
  • Brohoof 3

Well. My 2 friends didn't react very well. They where like how can you watch that shitty stuff!? They keep annoying me with saying it's for 5 year old girls and stuff. I mean, they won't even give it a chance! It's so sad that just cause of it's a cartoon with ponies and stuff it's seen as a little kids show. I just dont understand the reason why people act like this too it? I mean if i would get them to see 1 single episode they would be totally seduced.

Well i didn't tell my friends at first. Cause i was bullied in my last school and i knew it could have consequenses.

But when i finally told them it felt really good actually.

When i saw Stetson Wets post on this thread i instantly started listening to the song and now i understand that being a brony is something to be proud of and not something to hide for your friends.

Edited by Rain Dance
  • Brohoof 2

They didn't know what a Brony was. I still don't think they really know what a Brony is. They thought it wad odd that I liked a show called "My Little Pony," that certainly struck them as being a little suspicious, but it was left at that.

So, I guess their reaction was no reaction. :)

I told my friends straight up and most of them found nothing wrong with it. Some of them were Bronies even before me anyways, so I guess they were glad for me for finally playing for their team.

If a friend is gonna judge you based on some television show, then they are the ones with issues.

• Brohoof 3

If a friend is gonna judge you based on some television show, then they are the ones with issues.

I agree totally. The friends that judge you based on a TV Show have real problems and that mean that they are just afraid off acting childish. As the most off the people that is like that (Judging people based on a TV Show) Just wanna act like grown-ups and is afraid of that they are gonna look like kids in front of their friends so they will be acting really mean when they are with friends but when they are with only you they'll probably be nice to you.

@@Stetson West, I've been a brony for 10 months now, but I didn't tell any of my friends before January.

When I told them they had no idea what a brony was so I explained everything too. They thought it was weird and didn't want to talk about it at all, but after a while they were okay with it. I used to watch episodes in my school and after some month or two 3 of them were already bronies themselves after hating, haha!

Now in my new school it was even better. Two people in my new class were bronies when we started and when me and another dude told some people we love mlp more and more started to watch it now half my class likes mlp, lol.

• Brohoof 2

Well I've never told anyone as of yet. Just talk on the forums. I'm pretty shy and I don't have a ton of friends or anything so its not like I'm going to be the kind of person to openly exclaim it.

So yeah nobody even my family knows as of yet.

• Brohoof 1

I've only told one of my friends that I'm a "brony". And I was very stressed about the whole thing. I was just building it up in my head that it would possibly be this friendship destroying force and would cause him to shun me. I finally worked up the nerve.

"I like poniez..."

"you watched the show?"

"I would assume that's what 'I like poniez' meant. So?"

"So what? Let's play Worms 2 already."

And in that moment, I can't lie. The conversation was kind of a let down. I'm glad he just instantly accepted it and all, but I kinda feel a little cheated.