Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

Ahah my whole family thought I was extremely childish, even though everything else I do already seems childish. D:   And they won't let me buy an MLP toy. Lololl. My boyfriend doesn't really wanna watch the show with me. xD  Wish he was a brony too. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get him to watch eventually. ;D   Which is weird, 'cause he got a brony shirt and all. And his family jokes about him being a brony, WHEN HE'S REALLY NOT! Whutisthis.

• Brohoof 1

When I'd mentioned MLP around them, and my gigantic love for it, I think they thought I was kidding. But of course, at the point where they realized I was serious, they didn't care much. In front of me at least.... Still, they didn't pull any "ERMAGERD YA GAY" crap on me, so I don't think they are gonna deprive me of my deceptively girly interests.

As for friends, when I spoke to them, most of them just kinda laughed and said "No, I'm not gonna watch my little pony, that's for kids." Still, they haven't turned their backs and shunned me for it, which is good.

Edited by Leatherbehlt

My  friends don't care  nor

does my mom,  I've been

into the nerd life of things

and they leave me alone on it

if anything.   Personal,  I don't

care who knows and ppl will

always have a hater in their life

based on something.

My friends joke about it and yell at me if I talk about it at school my mom doesn't care and my dad thinks I only like it because of the earth ponies because I have 3 but that's not it at all it's like no one understood until now thanks guys.

Most of my friends don't know except for my best friend. He's okay with it but thinks the fandom stems from people wanting to be part of a fandom and not the actual show dry.png . I'm 100% positive my mom doesn't know but my Dad is a different story. A few days after i started watching MLP he randomly started singing out the first part of the theme song. He also said EEEYUP a few times just like big mac does so i really don't know if he knows or not.If he does though it means i have 1 parent who doesnt care about me being a bronylaugh.png .                                                              

No one cares, really. My friends are mostly bronies as well, so I've got their support. Mom thinks it's kinda cute, and both she and my dad support whatever I chose to do with logical limits (i.e., illegal, downright stupid, etc.). I've not gotten any flak for it, and likely never will from them.

My mom is the only one who knows, I think. She doesn't care though, if anything she thinks its funny tongue.png . My parents know I love animated stuff, and a while ago my mom told me she thinks its nice that I like shows like MLP. My dad might know, but hasn't said anything.

My family is really close, so they're supportive of my interests. My friends don't know, but I won't force it into a conversation. If it comes up I'll deal with it then. 

I've told my friends and my parents obviously know. Nobody really cares. People are like "oh you watch that show? Ok whatevs" or "oh hey I watch that too". I've never been put down for liking pony. Or maybe I have, but I just haven't noticed.

My friends know I like ponies they seemed alright about it as for my parent's I haven't really said anything . I think they'd be ok with it though If I told them :).

My parents don't care. They know I'm eccentric with different, often obscure tastes, so it wasn't really a big deal. My sister likes the show, but thought I was lame for liking it though.

Some of my friends thought it was incredibly strange, and made fun of the fact I like MLP for a while, and others were just like "whatever", so it wasn't really a big deal for me. 

My friends don't care at all, and one of them is a brony so no problem there :P I'm not boasting it in school though just because there are some very closed minded people in high school. However I know a couple of people have picked up I'm a brony but luckily they're the open minded ones so they don't care and they respect my privacy.

As for parents my mum knows about bronies claiming they are "mentally disturbed sex offenders". So surprisingly I've not told her. I wouldn't mind telling my dad however it would just get passed on to my mum either way so I'm keeping that a secret. :P

Nobody in my house really updates there knowledge of the real world. My brother's an idiot and my mom is just plain ignorant. So it's like they even know what a brony is.

But I did however explain to my brother what I was watching on T.V one day. He didn't seem to make a big deal out of it, which is a surprise because he tries to be all macho and tough all the time. He thinks he's my male role model when clearly he doesn't know a thing about me or my interests. In fact he's pretty much a loser :P

Only my friends get on my case for it. But I let it pass, just because there not the most serious people on earth, and don't take anything to extremes.  The worst would have to be when I was walking down the hall and they all sang in unison the MLP theme song. But over the years I have learned to laugh at my self, instead of taking things to heart all of the time. So I sang along with em :3

My mom was weirded out at first when I started getting into it, but she adjusted pretty quickly. She likes seeing how giddy ah get when she gets me new merch. She works at Walmart doing stock, so she keeps an eye out for me. (mostly in the section she works in, which is all the cosmetics and toiletries like shampoo) When I found out the band-aids were there that I'd been looking for for months, I jumped all through the store!

Anyway, she's pretty chill with it now. She's just glad to see ah have something I really enjoy that helps keep me happy. Ah've had a lot of problems in the past, and ah'm on medication now but it can only help so much.. My sister recognizes most of the characters, even though she isn't really into it. But she respects my love for it, and she's always helping my mom out when getting me merch. My sister remembers which characters are my favourites, and which ones I don't like.

My brother doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. My boyfriend thinks I'm silly, but then he realizes that he collects just as much, if not more, Power Rangers and horror stuff as I do ponies. He's gotten to respect it, and supports me with all my pony items that I make. Same goes for my mom and sister. My sister even drew me a huge anthro Applejack!

I don't have too many friends, but most of the ones I have were bronies before me. In fact, it's because of ponies that I've gained a lot of friends, including my best friend!

My mom and sister still mention how pink the bookshelf in the living room looks though... It's the only place I can put my collection without worrying about any of our cats getting to them. Plus I sleep on the couch downstairs, since I opted out of my bedroom for a couple of different reasons. Main thing now is that my dad lives up there (my parents are kinda separated right now) and so ah have to have someplace to put 'em all.

My mom was also weirded out when she found out I ENJOYED watching MLP, but she's cool with it. You got it lucky because there are people supporting you. Plus, ya gotta mention the stereotypes.

My parents both found out due to a Facebook comment I'd made (they read everything I post). After that, they didn't accept it. My mom was actually a bit better about it than my dad, but he was so adamant about me not being a Brony, that I just stopped saying anything about it around them. To be fair though, I did ask for a Fluttershy plush, which I guess pushed him overboard, to the point where he told me to never associate myself with Bronies again.

As for my friends, 90% of them think I'm weird for it and refuse to give it a chance. Then there's the 7% that are nuetral to it and the 3% that are actually Bronies (because of me). I can't stand the fact that I have to keep quiet about it, especially considering they never shut up about their obsession over Dr. Who. Bring up MLP, though, and you get shunned.

I do find it unfair to shun a fandom. Sure, not everyone may be accepting of it, but no need to shun it. I do think that parents should keep off of facebook because of privacy. I also want a Fluttershy plushie so I can non-sexually sleep with her.

Ahah my whole family thought I was extremely childish, even though everything else I do already seems childish. D:   And they won't let me buy an MLP toy. Lololl. My boyfriend doesn't really wanna watch the show with me. xD  Wish he was a brony too. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get him to watch eventually. ;D   Which is weird, 'cause he got a brony shirt and all. And his family jokes about him being a brony, WHEN HE'S REALLY NOT! Whutisthis.

Bro, you got no idea. It seemed like the ultimate betrayal for me, with my mom AND my dad judging the fandom. Now they're cool with it. Seems like your boyfriend has a...contradictory public appearance. I think your boyfriend is more of "Afraid" than "Not a Brony" at this point.

When I'd mentioned MLP around them, and my gigantic love for it, I think they thought I was kidding. But of course, at the point where they realized I was serious, they didn't care much. In front of me at least.... Still, they didn't pull any "ERMAGERD YA GAY" crap on me, so I don't think they are gonna deprive me of my deceptively girly interests.

As for friends, when I spoke to them, most of them just kinda laughed and said "No, I'm not gonna watch my little pony, that's for kids." Still, they haven't turned their backs and shunned me for it, which is good.

Yeah....my sister thought I was kidding when I said "I like MLP" but she's cool. In fact, she watches it now because of me. She didn't pull any of that crap because she's my sister. She didn't think it was girly or all that because she recognizes that there is a following cult. 

My parents dont know i am a brony but if they ever find out i am screwed i have three friends who are bronies and we get a lot of crap from our friends who dont agree with it

DUDE. GET. THE. WORD. OUT. No need to be hiding. It's who you are. People shouldn't tell you what YOU should be. Who the hell cares if you watch MLP? Sure, you'll get crap for it, but you'll get crap for everything in life. All my friends at one point disowned me....for 30 seconds and got over it. What's the worst thing that can happen? Your friends like you for who you are. If the leave, so be it. That just means they can't appreciate you enough.

Most of my friends don't know except for my best friend. He's okay with it but thinks the fandom stems from people wanting to be part of a fandom and not the actual show img-1375332-1-dry.png . I'm 100% positive my mom doesn't know but my Dad is a different story. A few days after i started watching MLP he randomly started singing out the first part of the theme song. He also said EEEYUP a few times just like big mac does so i really don't know if he knows or not.If he does though it means i have 1 parent who doesnt care about me being a bronyimg-1375332-2-laugh.png .                                                              

Get the buckin' word out. Just tell your mom. Your dad is going to say it eventually. My dad is....also kind of a brony, but more of curious. See this thread for the rest because I got no time to type it again: 

http://mlpforums.com/topic/40238-is-my-dad-becoming-a-brony/ My dad has not really shown any change, but does appreciate the show.

My mom is the only one who knows, I think. She doesn't care though, if anything she thinks its funny img-1375873-1-tongue.png . My parents know I love animated stuff, and a while ago my mom told me she thinks its nice that I like shows like MLP. My dad might know, but hasn't said anything.

My family is really close, so they're supportive of my interests. My friends don't know, but I won't force it into a conversation. If it comes up I'll deal with it then. 

Funny? That's the first time I know that. Tell your friends. They will lose all respect for you...for the next few moments, and then they all love you again.

Nobody in my house really updates there knowledge of the real world. My brother's an idiot and my mom is just plain ignorant. So it's like they even know what a brony is.

But I did however explain to my brother what I was watching on T.V one day. He didn't seem to make a big deal out of it, which is a surprise because he tries to be all macho and tough all the time. He thinks he's my male role model when clearly he doesn't know a thing about me or my interests. In fact he's pretty much a loser tongue.png

Only my friends get on my case for it. But I let it pass, just because there not the most serious people on earth, and don't take anything to extremes.  The worst would have to be when I was walking down the hall and they all sang in unison the MLP theme song. But over the years I have learned to laugh at my self, instead of taking things to heart all of the time. So I sang along with em :3

Mom? Ignorant? Hello, bro. Sure, we are not the most serious group of people in the world, but we take stuff seriously, no?

Mom? Ignorant? Hello, bro. Sure, we are not the most serious group of people in the world, but we take stuff seriously, no?

Ignorant is actually putting it the nice way lol. She borders on racist sometimes :S and she's definitely a homophobe.

And my only brony friends are on the internet. Everyone else I know IRL is either clueless as to what a brony is, doesn't care, or absolutely hate them. My friends at school and work are the jokers who spout humor like broken faucets. Everyone else around here seems to be very aggressive :S I have no clue why, but it's true. 

Still, out-of-the-closet brony is what I am. I have the right as a free thinker to enjoy whatever I please.some one doesnt like it? Oh well, I just feel sorry for em. It must be hell worrying about what peoples likes and dislikes are all the time. Or atleast arbitrary, irrelevent ones, like my interest for ponies xD.

Funny story, actually: Shortly after I started watching the show, I went out to dinner with my entire family and some friends of the family, and I made some kind of offhand insult to my sister comparing her to a retarded pony. Wouldn't you know it, my mom's ears perked up at the word 'pony' and she brought up bronies, explaining "They're grown men who watch the show My Little Pony, apparently it's some huge culture now. Isn't that weird?" to which everyone else chimed in to affirm...and I just sat there, smiling as guiltlessly as I could manage. I can hardly think of another moment in life where I've felt so thoroughly awkward. Of course, I'm sure they'd change their tune real quick if I were to tell them I was a brony, since my parents support me in everything (plus, they've always known and embraced the depths of my weirdness), but after that display, I don't think I'd even WANT to tell them.  dry.png

I also casually mentioned it to one of my good friends, and he kind of just laughed and shrugged it off before we continued on talking about other things. I get the impression that one's bronyhood is an easier thing to tell a friend than one's family, but I guess everyone reacts differently to different things.

Edited by Lowline

Get the buckin' word out. Just tell your mom. Your dad is going to say it eventually. My dad is....also kind of a brony, but more of curious. See this thread for the rest because I got no time to type it again:  http://mlpforums.com...coming-a-brony/ My dad has not really shown any change, but does appreciate the show.

I was planning on kinda bringing it out into the open when i came out of the closet to them. I figured getting everything off my chest at once would cut down on the amount of questioning overtime. 

• Brohoof 1

I also want a Fluttershy plushie so I can non-sexually sleep with her.

I know, right? Hey, just be glad you can get one, I'm still back here trying to convert what few friends will give the show a chance (currently I have one person I'm trying for, one whom my parents have a high opinion of).

• Brohoof 1

Welp, I'm a girl, so my parents didn't think it was too weird when I started drawing cutsie little ponys for fun. Then, I started talking about it to my friend, who is totally understanding and loves to cosplay as well, though she's not really into MLP. Finally, I asked my parents if I could cosplay at a con with her as Fluttershy; by then they could tell I was really into it.

My parents truly don't care and as long as I'm happy they're happy. I still haven't really come out and told anyone else about MLP though because I don't want people to get the wrong idea about me, ya know? Ponys are cool and shouldn't be judged dry.png

My family doesn't really get too concerned, since I'm the borderline lunatic of the family.  I mean, I did spend all of 1st grade telling everyone that I was actually from Mars, so liking a kids cartoon about talking ponies is pretty mild in comparison.

My mom doesn't exactly know I'm a brony, my aunt knows and doesn't care, my cousin laughs at the fact that I'm a brony, and the only friends I've told are either also bronies or are ok with it(in fact one thinks its adorable). People I can never tell, my brothers. They can NEVER know. I grew up with them shaping me into a "man." So if they were to hear that I like ponies they'd go nuts. But the people I told were like WHAT?! If you ever met me in real life you'd say it was extremely ironic. The way I act/think contradicts the usual brony(nice/tolerant/etc.). So yeah, there you go.

I haven't told my parents because it's not really that important. I might as well be telling my dad "I'm watching teh news!" the reply would likely be "who the hell cares?". As for my friends, most of them know I'm a brony and a few are either bronies or looking to join the herd.

I know, right? Hey, just be glad you can get one, I'm still back here trying to convert what few friends will give the show a chance (currently I have one person I'm trying for, one whom my parents have a high opinion of).

those are still around? Internet time! I gotta get myself one...Good luck on your convert! I'll hunt down Futtershy...ya know, "hunt" :)

• Brohoof 1