Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

Well.......  my mom said I was retarded for liking the show and my step father said wow are you a faggot or something now? Yeah they did not so much care about it but their comments were not exactly welcoming. I find it hard at times to wear mlp related clothing at times in public still... I have worn some of the shirts I have but only on certain occasions if I am with a friend or something. I live in the deep south of NC and people down here really frown upon people liking such things and people tend to go overboard with their reactions down here...

2 friends of mine told me to watch it. I told my mom about it, then I watched it. Then I watched a few episodes with my grandma, she saw how I liked it but she was more into spongebob. a bit later me and my biological father are in the drive thru of mcdonalds and he makes a joke asking if I'd like one of the MLP toys they had at the time, and I surprised him by saying sure since I'm a fan of the show. We talked a little about it and he saw why I liked it. Then I watched it with siblings and told other friends to watch it at least once. one friend of mine in particular called me a fag over it but this was one of our many insults we constantly threw at each other since we are offensive. I chased him and smacked him in the head. Later i smashed an orange on his head XD. Our daily routine practically. He likes the video came based art and some of the crossovers but other wise couldn't care less. So we're respective of each other (for the most part) on things we like. My dad and cousins found out eventually, they don't care. My siblings love the show, unfortunately my step sister likes it for the wrong reasons half the time and we have long discussions of me explaining every god damn detail so she knows what's going on about everything.

• Brohoof 1

I dont remember if I commented in here before or not, so I'll just post again.

My family knows I like the show. It's not an obsession of mine though so they don't find it strange. My appreciation is passionate but not obviously so, which means I skate by with no scratches.

My mom says she doesn't understand why people like the show, and my dad just jokes around over it, but neither of them care about it. I have a build-a-bear Fluttershy on my shelf and I haven't gotten any flak for it.

My mum was pretty chill about it, she just said that's alright. So I'm happy. I haven't told my friends though, because I know I will get called gay because are stupid society makes everyone gay for liking one thing.

• Brohoof 1

My mom knows and she accepts me anyway, but I could never tell my dad because he would take it the wrong way and think I'm a girl or a homosexual for liking ponies :/ Some of my friends know I'm a brony and they don't care if I am.

Dont be, your dad cant tell you what you can and cant watch, and if he does, tell him that he is more of a girl for not accepting you.

• Brohoof 1

My military cousin: I will never see you the same way again.

One of my closest friends: *fake Hispanic accent to show he's joking*  Stupiiiiid

My real dad: Maybe you could show me an episode later on.

My mom: What would your friends say? You know what, no, you don't like my little pony.

My step dad:(doesn't know)

My other friend: don't be nervous. My little pony can be awesome when you're high! XD

Yeah, those are all the reactions I could think of, and I only care for the funny or good reactions.

Edited by Ermac of many souls

Well.......  my mom said I was retarded for liking the show and my step father said wow are you a faggot or something now? Yeah they did not so much care about it but their comments were not exactly welcoming. I find it hard at times to wear mlp related clothing at times in public still... I have worn some of the shirts I have but only on certain occasions if I am with a friend or something. I live in the deep south of NC and people down here really frown upon people liking such things and people tend to go overboard with their reactions down here...

I can kinda sympathize with you on that location part of your post...

My family and most of my friends accept it, but if I still lived in the city like I used to, I would've probably gotten torn apart for walking around with pony stuff on.

My best friend's reaction :

My Mom was like, whatever and has been supportive of my addiction totally healthy habit.

My Dad was pretty weirded out at first, but he doesn't really care anymore.

My brothers don't know, but if they did they would probably make fun of me and call me gay.  

and My sister is cool with it, she even got me some plushies for christmas 

• 4 weeks later...

only my dad, mom , sister  and some of my friends that i used to go to school with know about me being a brony. I haven't told anybody else (I'm affraid some of my classmates will call me a homosexual :( even though i'm not.).

My mum was pretty chill about it, she just said that's alright. So I'm happy. I haven't told my friends though, because I know I will get called gay because are stupid society makes everyone gay for liking one thing.

Same problem here. Why do schools nowadays assume kids are gay based on what they like. I guess we are both closet bronys

• Brohoof 1

Parents: Nice work son! You found an awesome TV Show to watch! Let us watch it too!

*After dad sees it, he giggles but finds it cute*

*After mom sees it, she appreciates the show*

Friends:

Pam: "Paul... I am now addicted to the show."

Jess: "Paul... I watched MLP over Christmas and now I'm a fan! I even bought you a Fluttershy plushie!"

Michael: "Paul... nice Derpy avatar."

*Eventually admits to bronyhood since high-school*

*Cue success kid*

• Brohoof 2

:muffins:

I think you are who you are and you shouldn't be ashamed because of that. I do have friends that hate my little pony, but I have friends that do like it too~

signed       Flitterharp

Edited by fliterharp

My parents found out through my wristbands arriving, my dad honestly thought i joined the rainbow coalition because of rainbow dash... I eventually explained it to him and now hes cool with it lol. 

@@Wayzer,

i tried this shit with my parents, i replace the google logo with an Octavia one, it is really easy on fireofx, just install a plugin, and i let them the pc, my dad saw the octavia doodle logo

http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/google/my%20little%20pony

"isn't that a pony of yout stupid cartoon?"

me:"eyup, see? it is famous"

dad:"i see.. well i don't care, just pass those exams and stop spending your time on forums.. damn it buy a game insted! go out! gt drunk! smoke! do drugs! be normal like other guys of your age for the love of god!

my mother caughting me AGAIN doing art

"what is that?"

me:"aw nothing, i got asked to make a website for a friend for his lil brother"

mum:" at least you are able to draw not only tanks, planes and opened people... go back to study"

brother: "mum dad! he is watching ponies again!"

*after a while*

"what is tha name of that pone?"

friends.... "ponies? sorry pal i was too drunk i can't remember.."

so that it is.... they know somehow, but they pretend they don't know, they only get mad if i spend too much time on the pc...

Edited by Doc. Volt
  • Brohoof 1

my parents or my whole family in particular wont give a flying dam tho but if i was a boy and i tell them i'm a bronie

gosh i'l just be called gay by my entire family that knows 

anyways i think one time i was talking about ponies this guy was like "hah your gay" i looked at him with a blank expression then i said "your calling a female gay you stupid idiot" the guy didn't answer he just slowly walked away but i know he felt emberasshed by saying it.

@@Wayzer,

i tried this shit with my parents, i replace the google logo with an Octavia one, it is really easy on fireofx, just install a plugin, and i let them the pc, my dad saw the octavia doodle logo

http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/google/my%20little%20pony

"isn't that a pony of yout stupid cartoon?"

me:"eyup, see? it is famous"

dad:"i see.. well i don't care, just pass those exams and stop spending your time on forums.. damn it buy a game insted! go out! gt drunk! smoke! do drugs! be normal like other guys of your age for the love of god!

my mother caughting me AGAIN doing art

"what is that?"

me:"aw nothing, i got asked to make a website for a friend for his lil brother"

mum:" at least you are able to draw not only tanks, planes and opened people... go back to study"

brother: "mum dad! he is watching ponies again!"

*after a while*

"what is tha name of that pone?"

friends.... "ponies? sorry pal i was too drunk i can't remember.."

so that it is.... they know somehow, but they pretend they don't know, they only get mad if i spend too much time on the pc...

i must say your parents and friends are assholes if your dad actually told you to do drugs. i'm just saying bro 

@,

it is called "irony", we have lot of it here.. he meant that i should just be "normal" being ironic on "normal modern peoples", and if i did drug, my parents would have probably killed me now (and they have all the reasons to do that)

edited to explain better.

Edited by Doc. Volt

My one best friend is a fan

and my other friend makes light fun of me

due to it but its in good humor and i use

my fandom of the show to talk to some

of the customers who come through my

line and make a connection  with em.

only my dad, mom , sister  and some of my friends that i used to go to school with know about me being a brony. I haven't told anybody else (I'm affraid some of my classmates will call me a homosexual :( even though i'm not.).

Same problem here. Why do schools nowadays assume kids are gay based on what they like. I guess we are both closet bronys

Yep, I guess we are, that makes me happy though someones in the same situation :D

• Brohoof 3

wow when did this old thing get bumped..

Anyways, I've says this somewhere else but when they first found out about it, both of my parents were very confused and didn't really get it. After I explained my mother thought it was cool but my father was not a big fan of the whole thing. My friends was mostly like "really?! .-. idontknowyouanymore" but nothing too serious.

And after I had been a brony for a long time my friends didn't care anymore they still like me :P Neither of my parents care either, though my father keeps making these silly jokes like saying I love horses .__.

Then again... We have the very awkward moment that happened recently *cough* computerfrozewhenihadcopinfullscreenandmomwalkedin *cough* so I'm not sure what my mother thinks now =s

• Brohoof 2

I'm a girl, and i've always been known for liking cutesy things and cartoons.

So I didn't even really need to tell them about it, they already knew from the beginning since i never made much attempt to hide it my love for ponies.

However, my parents do think I'm immature for my age :/

Heck, maybe they're right. Or maybe i'm immature in some ways, and more mature in others. Atleast i don't start screaming at them when i'm mad, like they often do.

Being totally open about it is pretty nice though. My sister knows i love the show and bought me a huge-ass MLP mug to drink out of and some blind bag ponies (i got a neon granny smith ;P), and a rainbow dash beanie baby over various occaions. I also love to watch the episodes on the big tv in HD.

Edited by crazitaco

Just about everyone knows now, or at least I think. Most people laugh about it, and some think it's rather interesting. One of my old friends, though made a big deal out of it. He says that makes me "more gay". Wow... But not as bad as the claim that "I have autism."