Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

If liking a cartoon has impacted your life more than your sexuality or religion then I am concerned for you.

That's the problem. Sometimes it IS that case, but it is because of your environment, and therefore I am concerned of the people in your environment that make a big deal out of it :c

That's the problem. Sometimes it IS that case, but it is because of your environment, and therefore I am concerned of the people in your environment that make a big deal out of it :c

My life was changed a lot more by my sexuality than any cartoon I've ever watched. I didn't learn anything from watching MLP because I already knew this stuff.

well I haven't told my parents Im not really for that

My sister knows and totally fine with that

my brother also knows and he doesn't like the idea he's ashamed to be seen with me

A few of my friends and they are okay with but im scared to tell the rest of my friends

• Brohoof 1

I've found that the more people I tell the more easy it gets, and the more I realize the people who really care about me are more accepting of me than I thought. And the few people who are not don't matter as much as the amount of people who are.

• 1 month later...

My parents don't know but my friends do and they're completely fine with it in fact most of them are bronies themselves. But i'm still a bit scared of telling my parents because my dad already makes fun of me so that would most likely just make it worse, my mom however I'm not to afraid of telling her but she might tell my dad so yeah.

(edited)

None of my friends or family know that I'm a brony.  Despite this, I like to imagine what they'd think:

• Mother: Would probably be fine with it.
  • Father: May not be too supportive of it, but he'd put up with it.  He may or may not think it's gay.
  • Most of my friends: Would be shocked at first (I was and currently pretend to be an anti-brony), but would probably be ok with it.
  • Other friend #1: This one could be a closet brony, so anything could happen.
  • Other friend #2: May think I'm gay and cease contact with me.
  • Other students: Would think I'm a loser or gay (which is true of most bronies at my school)
  • Bronies at my school: Would try to be my friend
  • Extended family (mother's side): Would put up with it, and a few may become bronies themselves
  • Extended family (father's side): May think I'm gay
  • Teachers: Would completely ignore it

Of course, these effects would vary depending on how big of a deal I made it.  I may be back here with actual results in a couple months.

Edited by StarSwirlTheBearded

I don't have any rl friends, other than one friend who moved to Florida. He's chill about it, he doesn't watch it, and probably never will, but he said the show sounds cool. I live in a group home and I told some of the staff members about my interest, only 1-2 of them show any interest in it. Beyond those few staff members, a couple of other staff members who no longer work for the agency, my family, my tulpa, and my online friends, I don't need any more friends. I know it sounds cold, but honestly, all I would need is my tulpa, period, and I would still be pretty happy. Although I guess it would be unhealthy for both me and my tulpa to rely entirely on my tulpa for companionship, and she might end up wanting to talk to other people besides myself too (I know a lot of tulpae can be extroverts)

Pretty much everyone I've told has been okay with it. A few have given me strange looks but in the long run it hasn't ruined any friendships or made the relationship I have with my family awkward or anything. 

My mom sincerely thought I was gay. x)

I got her to watch an episode (Canterlot Wedding, with the badass fight scene), and she agreed it's not at all overly-girly.

She likes to embarrass me in public though...and I'm very easily embarrassed. x)

My friend thought I was gay to, but I told him about Flutters and promptly assimilated his a$$. B)

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

My friends kind of make fun of me, while my parents are completely ok. My dad is a little like ''What?" But my mom is like "awwww it's cute!" And my friends..... Only a few tease me (including my crush that teases me)

My parents were concerned for my mental health until the first psychiatrist visit when she told them I was completely fine  :lol:

My friends teased me at first but now don't mind it. They say it fits my friendly/unique personality

To be honest I told them and yea they saw me watch the show but to be honest who cares what other people think . As my wife luna says keep calm and watch my little pony.

(edited)

my Mother thought I was gay, now I could care less what she is doing (she saw my Fluttershy poster in my room)

my sister laughed at me, Now she is a Pegasister (she saw me watch MLP)

my Father thought I was kidding, Now he accepts me for who I am (he saw my Fluttershy sticker on my Xbox)

my Step mom knew I wasn't kidding, she accepts me (I admit it to her)

my older sister didn't seem to like the fact, then she got over it (I admit it to her)

my brother in law accepted me, he still does (I admit it to him)

my bestfriend converted me, he became a non-brony so i converted him back (he converted me)

my closest online friend was an Anti-Brony, I converted him to a Brony (I admit it to him)

Edited by PonygamesFluttershy

• 6 months later...

My friends were pretty chill with it, they thought it was cool! My family however, haven't really said anything. When I talk about it I get funny looks though :(

My friends were pretty chill with it, they thought it was cool! My family however, haven't really said anything. When I talk about it I get funny looks though :(

My grandparents joke about it every now and then, but they accept me and even buy me MLP merch. My parents don't really care, but my mom thought it was weird at first. Most of my friends at school think I'm pretty weird for being a brony, and none of them really get it. One of my friends is a pegasister though, although she's not as into it as I am. My girlfriend is a pegasister as well, but she isn't as into the show either. She's just a casual viewer. My current English teacher thinks it's pretty cool. My Biology teacher from last year jokes about it in a friendly way, and so does my youth group leader. Those two aren't jerks about it, though, so I'm fine with it.

Edited by MechanicalDoom

My mother says her favourite is Rainbow Dash, and that the show is surprisingly popular among lots of people. 

Pfft! Who am I to argue with that?!  :lol:

Mostly everyone else doesn't really care, However I don't exactly go around advertising it, after all it isn't really anyone's business. 

That said, it's probably a bit different compared to say if I was still in high school or something.  :P

I certainly haven't lost any friends over it, and I've even found out a couple of my friends from high school were bronies themselves!  :umad:

When I told Mom I was watching MLP on my laptop... well, she was confused for the obvious reasons ("My Little Pony, really?"). She was curious as to why I liked it, watch a few episodes with me and now Pinkie Pie's her favorite pony. My father doesn't really seem to care either way, just chalks it up to the two of us being strange as per usual. I managed to rope my friends into watching an episode, and a couple of them liked it. Never seems to come up in conversation though, which I'll admit is strange, but I still catch one or two of them reading a fic when we're at D&D. All in all, a surprisingly positive response.

My Mum just laughed and giggled at me she still does but she has watched a few episodes and was enticed by them, though she doesn't know about the Brony fandom......yet. I mainly buy the MLP comics and vinyl's so she understands it's not just a 'girls' show anymore.

My parents are always looking through my collection of Blind Bags, they actually think it's pretty cool. I recently bought a G1 Fizzy which is quite bad condition and I want to bring it back to good condition as a little project and dad has offered to help!

So yeah luckily they're quite cool with it. And my mum was like "there are worse things you could be doing with your time!"

• 2 weeks later...

I am to scarred to tell anyone about how I feel about ponies.  I don't really have a good relationship with my family and I only have one friend who likes ponies.  However... I know my husband likes mlp but we don't talk to each other about it... I feel like he is really ashamed of me... I just hope that things change one day...

• 4 weeks later...