Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Question for drivers] do you drive stick or automatic?

Motion Spark

what do you drive?  

55 users have voted

1. 1. choose

• automatic
    • manual

so I'm just curious what kind of cars the users on this forum drives

What do you drive?

manual or sticks

What are your thoughts on automatic?

it was kind of hard to get used to it XD. specially because I was looking for the clutch when I try to brake XD ...but it's really easy.

What are your thoughts on manual?

for some reason I feel like these cars are made for badasses. I am one of them ;)

If you drive manual, what is the gear that you use or like the most?

I use 3rd the most because it's not too fast not too slow, it's perfect

your general opinion about the thread

For me it was really hard to learn how to drive manual cars, I even hit my mom car in the back with an hydrant when I was learning, because the car was on a not so spiked hill, and the car moved back :/

Hills were the thing that I was the most afraid of, because I was scared that I would hit the car that was behind me. But now I mastered 95% driving on hills! :lol:

Edited by Motion Spark
  • Brohoof 1

What do you drive?

Automatic, because I never learned stick.

It's easy. You just... drive.

Never done it. I hear they get better mileage or something, and I'd like to learn just so I can do it if I need to.

n/a

Umm... It's worth posting in?

Stick?

Posted Image

I was always raised as an automatic driver, and I think that's for the best lol. I have never driven a stick automobile and I probably shouldn't, consider I'm kind of shaky enough driving automatic in a rusty old Dodge Dorango haha.

I once almost caused an accident on the freeway because I merged into a lane WHILE SLOWING DOWN. Yeeeaaahhhh, as you can imagine, that was not the best idea in the world. :P

I drive an automatic, though I can do both.

I hear they get better mileage or something, and I'd like to learn just so I can do it if I need to.

They're also less expensive, usually, and less prone to breaking. You can run a stick shift into the dirt and she'll still go.

• Brohoof 1

What do you drive?

Automatic now, but I learned on Manual and my first car was one.

It works, but is a little boring.

I miss it a little, I think my next car needs to be a manual again.

Don't have one now, but when I did the car was mostly used for driving around town, so spent most of the time in 2nd or 3rd

well....it exists...so..........yea

What do you drive?

Automatic

Its what I learned to drive with. Its easy to get used to.

I can't drive them very well, but they do tend to run better than autos, and feel a lot nicer too.

N/A

Ironically enough, the first car that I owned was a stickshift. It was a 1992 Chevy (I forget the make). It had to be registered in my dad's name though because I didn't have my license yet. Only $200, the guy bought it from a friend, couldn't drive it, and then sold it off to us! Right now, I'm leasing a 1999 Ford Ranger, at a Buy here, Pay here place.

I got my license when I was 19. I failed my first test with Parallel Parking, I was driving my dad's Buick Rondevouz. The second time, I passed with flying colors, but was driving my dad's 1989 S-10 truck. Man did I love that thing. It was a shame when it got sideswiped by some elderly lady in New Jersey, it did enough damage that it wasn't worth it to fix it.

What do you drive?

MANUEL! (Stickshifts for life)

What are my thoughts on Automatic? The only thing they are good for is stop and go traffic!

It gives you more control of your own car, AND they are better on gas mileage than automatics, as long as you don't have a lead foot! Manual cars are Superior.

It various due to mountainous terrain. But on the highways, I stay in 5th a lot (5 gears total). Under hard mountainous driving, second gear is my torque gear, and 3rd is what I use for more speed.

It's a good thread! Stickshifts are still easy to find. But the drivers who know how to drive a stick are getting more rare.

Time for the Meme's:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Steel Matt
  • Brohoof 3

@@Steel Matt, you are a freaking badass man! you know what i'm talking about, if I'm going to get cars in the future they have to be manual, it's the way it must be done...however I rarely use 5th gear, very rarely.

brohoof man!

/)*

Edited by Motion Spark
  • Brohoof 1

What do you drive?

Automatic.

Hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it, haaaaaaaaaaaaate it. So boring and crappy. Whats that? You want to go faster? Well sure, just let me take forever dropping into gear and then literally dropping into gear to the point where all I can imagine is chips of metal comming off of the gears. They don't last as long as a standard either even with proper care.

So much fuzzing better. So much more control, better mileage and no need to change a transmission filter every 15k or so (I think, don't quote me on that). Better response too and at least the illusion of more power. I also find them to be a smoother ride provided you know what you're doing.

Third. The car I had before my current which was standard would be between 3600 and 4k RPM at 50 in third, making it perfect for acceleration.

Excellent thread. We need more standard cars out there as they're just better in every way. People like to complain about traffic and how manual sucks in it but I didn't mind it at all knowing that I was saving gas.

Edit: You also gotta check the fluid on the occasion an automatic. Personally I find that annoying as I've yet to own a car where the dipstick for it is in any accesible location but thats just me.

Edited by A Blithering Div
  • Brohoof 1

Well normally automatic, but i learned the most annoying form of stick out there... Double clutch...

if you know what i'm talking about... you're educated in automobiles, and second, you're a boss...

and third, you're driving something from the 60's or older.

I drive an automatic. I'd like to learn how to drive a stick, but I think it may be in everyone's best interest and safety if I didn't. I'm already a little racecar driver. Add in a stick shift and I will swear that I have played a part as a background racer in any Fast and the Furious.

What do you drive?

Stick

I wiill end up cursing and possibly hitting the car if it's an automatic. Can't stand them; I hate that I can't choose what gear I want to be in. Dammit, if I want to be in 3rd at 75 MPH, I want nothing standing in my way. :angry:

Love it. I feel so much more connected with the car, so much more in control, and it gives me something to do while driving. I love the feel of using the clutch and shifting the gears. Nothing like it.

Second is some great get up and go, but I tend to be in the highest gear possible when I'm cruising to save gas.

Glad you posted it, so I could preach my love of standard. :P

• Brohoof 2

I drive an automatic. I'd like to learn how to drive a stick, but I think it may be in everyone's best interest and safety if I didn't. I'm already a little racecar driver. Add in a stick shift and I will swear that I have played a part as a background racer in any Fast and the Furious.

oh my goodness, you are complete mess :lol: , out of curiosity, have you ever drove manual? what it was your experience with it... mine was really funny XD

oh my goodness, you are complete mess :lol: , out of curiosity, have you ever drove manual? what it was your experience with it... mine was really funny XD

lol I have not ever driven one. And I fear the day that someone actually lets me drive theirs for practice.

I just hope they're prepared to lose a car that day. Cause I know Imma grind the everloving crap outta the gears! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

What do you drive?

1986 Porsche 944 Stick

Automatics are easy to drive, but they get boring quickly.

I love Manual, I learned really fast how to drive a manual and I like the better sence of control and power you feel from the car.

3rd

It's nice to see others that like Manual cars, all my friends say Automatics are better because you can control the car without thinking so much, and they say they shift faster (wich is true in some cases, but with a manual you control when you shift and you only get a 10% power loss from the engine to the tires instead of the 15% power loss from an automatic transmision)

Edited by SXCJ40

Well, I drive an automatic, I haven't learned stick...yet. It probably would be a good idea to learn it, in case I ever need to drive one in the future, but I prefer automatics.

I'm not legitimate to drive a car in the first place, so i shouldn't be able to answer anyway, i'm 20, soon 21 and manual cover most cars here in Sweden. The reason why i'm not motiviated enough to get a driver license is that the public transport here is vast and reasonably priced. The need for it is low, except for jobs.

• Brohoof 1

What do you drive?

manual or stick-shift

I have a 1985 toyota corolla gts hatchback. love of my life.

i admit they are handy in the mountains, or in town. constantly changing gears gets old sometimes. its awkward stomping into the nothing and looking for the clutch, or nearly ripping the PRNDL stick out of gear due to muscle memory haha. an automatic is more expensive to fix if it gives out, and i dont think you can push start them like you can a stick if you need to :3

i was scared to learn at first; i'm really scatterbrained and it just seemed like an accident waiting to happen. it seemed like a lot to keep track of.. listen to the motor, watch your RPMs, ease off the clutch but dont ride it, stalling out. ugh. but i LOVED my first car (still drive her <3) and so i sucked it up and made my little brother teach me. i have a hydraulic clutch and a synchronizer so it was very forgiving. my mothers bronco? POS cable clutch from HEEELLLLLL.

3rd is nice for around town, but 5th is my gas saver <3

amusing factiod.

Edited by SweetJeans88

What do you drive?

manual

It can be difficult to get used to after driving manual

I feel that Manual makes driving seem more fun, your actually doing somthing different everytime and you have more control.

I use 3rd the most when i am sticking to the rules *cough* besides that 5th gear is my gear of choice.

This thread shows that there are many of us out their with different skills in driving. some like to tak it slow like fluttershy, some fast like rainbow dash and some just indifferent like applejack :D. I for one am getting a holden gts that is cyan in color and i'm gonna put my jade cutie mark on the side with RD's cutiemark for the emblems.

What do you drive?

I sadly drive a stick...

I LOVE automatic cars... Manual is just awful

No... just... no

I use 3rd the most, just because it's the perfect gear...

your general opinion about the thread?

I personally love automatic cars... I was forced to learn how to drive manual... I really dislike it... Automatic cars are more my speed.

What do you drive?

'11 Camaro SS- L99 (Automatic)

fun to drive, though having paddle shifters and a tune took away the most of the sluggish feel behind the automatic.

Also fun to drive, but require more attention than automatics. Can be annoying in city driving due to constant down and up shifting.

I don't drive a full manual, but during "manual driving" I keep it around 3 or 4

sometimes though, I'll keep it in 2nd just for the fun

interesting because we get to see what people drive as far as stick/auto

What do you drive?

A automatic Jeep liberty 2004

I think they are a TON easier to use than a stick, and less of a hassle so you can focus more on driving.

Even though they can make you feel more "Badass" while you drive, but they are a pain TO drive and hell if your in traffic IMO.

I would say around 3 or 4. Though I barely ever drive a manual.

Your general opinion about the thread?

I am stuck with automatics, I don't ever see me making a huge switch to manuals.

What do you drive?

An automatic 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

It does everything for me. Put it in drive or reverse and go. No thought required.

It's not bad and I'd really like to be able to drive it but... I got bad coordination. >_>

It's... a thread? xD