Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Question for drivers] do you drive stick or automatic?

Motion Spark

what do you drive?  

55 users have voted

1. 1. choose

• automatic
    • manual

What do you drive?

Stick shift!!! 5 Speed all day! well all my cars have been manual most favorite where my 318i BMW and my 87 MK3 Supra god i love turbo's currently looking for another BMW

What are your thoughts on automatic?

i hate it cause, well it is an abomination it should of never been made if you couldn't drive stick you shouldnt of been driving at all just my thoughts and you get better gas mileage while driving Stick! honestly people who drive automatics cause more accidents i think cause they have to worry and pay attention to less things while driving... since they dont have to manually changes gears...

What are your thoughts on manual?

cars where meant to be driven by a Stick shift, anything other then that is wrong lol in my thoughts hahaha i mean when you drive stick you really feel in control of he car! have you ever pop'd the clutch slammed on the brake and burn'd out? no do it! every double Clutch and Brake boost? its the feeling of being alive!!

If you drive manual, what is the gear that you use or like the most?

5th i love over drive cause i know im going fast enough to coast... but also that if needed to i can drop into 3rd gear also more tire smoke!!!

your general opinion about the thread

thread is good never thought id see this on here though hahaha needs more Manual Car drivers though...

Edited by Charming Knight

What do you drive?

Automatic. I never learned to drive stick. It's not that I didn't want to, but both of the cars we have at home are automatic so...

It's easy, you don't really have to bother about anything. I like it.

Like I said, I never drove stick, but I'd like to learn it someday. I don't really see any advantages of driving manual though. There's always the possibility of the engine stalling and that just seems annoying. But apparently it's more fun to drive, or so I've heard. I guess it's more badass too.

I do not drive manual

It's.. good I guess. There's not that much to discuss, but I guess it's pretty interesting. It's nice that you included a poll so that we can see how many people prefer automatic and manual.

Edited by Marshmallow

• 2 years later...

Mine's automatic since most modern cars are. I drive a sports car but the shift is in between the driver's and passenger's seat. I'll never give up my car, I can switch to drive or reverse very quickly with it.

I drive an automatic because I haven't learned stick yet. But, I do want to learn one day. The only manual car we have is my dad's truck and I'm too small to drive it. My friend offered to teach me in her car, but I have another problem. I can't drive for crap with just the left hand (I'm American) so in order for me to drive stick, I need a European car, because I'm great at driving with the right hand! It's weird.

What do you drive?

I drive a 2009 Kia Spectra. I live that KDM life yo. It has a 4-speed slushbox

They're becoming more efficient than they ever were before, so having an auto doesn't automatically ruin the car. Sure, there are those "manual 4 lyfe" types, but they need to get with the program. Sometimes, I want to control the gears, sometimes I just want to drive to work or the store.

I can't explain it, but driving a car that requires that you change the gears (whether it be an h-pattern, sequential, or paddles, 2 pedals or 3) is just plain cooler.

Since my car is auto (boo), it just does what it does whenever it feels like it. But...

I don't have a "favorite" gear, I just use which one I need.

Your general opinion about the thread.

7.3/10 It's alright.

Edited by Azure Flare

What do you drive?

I drive a Mazda 2 with a manual gear box

They seem to make the decision about gear changes for you and don't allow for full use of the cars power when you want it. Certainly not the type of gearbox you want in a car if your an enthusiast driver

The best way of changing gear if your an enthusiast driver such as myself

I'm gonna say second: there's a road after some traffic lights near my house and the speed limit if 40mph. I love to stick my foot down in second but don't change until it hits 40 in second then jump from 2nd into 4th. The rev counter goes up and you can feel the acceleration and it makes more noise and it's fun 

It's ok :)

I drive a manual 2005 Suzuki Ignis. My licence holds up for both, and while it may be easier to drive auto, keeping your mind sharp in order for effectively changing your gears can help build you up into a better driver. Plus, depending on which car model you're using, Manual saves up gas, so it's also something.

Edit: I probably should have added that i prefer 3rd gear. It has a nice pace to it, and you can manage it in most urban areas (Maybe not in smaller streets).

Edited by Sleepwalker
  • Brohoof 1

Mine's automatic since most modern cars are. I drive a sports car but the shift is in between the driver's and passenger's seat. I'll never give up my car, I can switch to drive or reverse very quickly with it.

If it's an automatic, it's not a sports car.

If it moves, I can drive it.

Right now I'm looking at tradeing in my current Freightshaker for a Kenworth W900 with a 550 CAT and an 18 speed EF manual.

What do you drive?

I drive a Mazda 2 with a manual gear box

They seem to make the decision about gear changes for you and don't allow for full use of the cars power when you want it. Certainly not the type of gearbox you want in a car if your an enthusiast driver

The best way of changing gear if your an enthusiast driver such as myself

I'm gonna say second: there's a road after some traffic lights near my house and the speed limit if 40mph. I love to stick my foot down in second but don't change until it hits 40 in second then jump from 2nd into 4th. The rev counter goes up and you can feel the acceleration and it makes more noise and it's fun

It's ok :)

I had a friend of mine, a long time ago. He had a Mazda RX7 with The rotary eng and a 4 speed manual

I loved to come to a stop by dropping from 4th to 1st while pulling the manual rear break lever (the e-break)

Called it his air craft carrier stop lol

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 2

What do you drive?
'97 Dodge Intrepid (automatic)

Very easy. I don't need to learn anything hard.

It seems really fun, but it would be a little tough to try out. That said, I would love to learn it.

n/a

It's a thread, imho.

Edited by Gernia

What do you drive?
Manual.

I don't have a problem with it; you just drive.

I prefer manual over automatic. I'm better at it, it's more fun, and you get more control over the car.

I like fifth; it keeps thing simple.

It's a nice thread? I like the words... :derp:

What do you drive?

Manual.

What are your thoughts on automatics?

I used to hate them with a passion, now I just generally dislike them.  There are some cars where it's well suited, but I can't think of many cars where I'd actually prefer an auto to a manual. Most of the dislike stems from the fact that in America, only about seven people in the whole country can actually be bothered to change their own gears. This makes finding a car more difficult, and it means no one can drive your car (although that can also be a benefit). I also don't like that they're making a proper manual more endangered with each year (especially automated manuals).

Which gear do you use the most?

Sixth. I occasionally drop into fourth for a little extra go, but it's still got enough torque to pull decently in top gear. It's also better on gas (mine gets horrible mileage for a 2.0L hatchback, and is premium only).

What do you drive?

A base model 2011 kia soul 5-speed manual

Meh, I feel really outta place when I have to drive an automatic. I always find myself holding onto the shifter, one handed driving ftw lol

and not having control over my rpm's even if the car has a slap-shift, its just not the same...

What are your thoughts on manuals?

I absolutely love manual cars, topping my car out getting onto the freeway always makes my day. that and turning traction control off.... (just for the record, its a front wheel drive car) so having a bit of fun from time to time is nice, and of course I keep it safe at all times.

If you drive manual, What is the gear you use or like the most?

definitely a toss between 2nd and 3rd when im getting on the freeway. more acceleration = more smiles. Unless you get stuck behind the people that go 55 until they merge.....

Your general opinion about the thread?

Nothing out of the ordinary, nice to see that manuals are still going strong :3

What do you drive?

A manual 2002 Seat Ibiza.

They're convenient, i guess. I don't know really, i've never driven an automatic myself, i'd probably end up slamming on the brakes thinking it's the clutch far too many times.

What are your thoughts on manuals?

I like manual cars. I like being in control over everything my car does, shifting included. Sure, it's not the best in city driving, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be IMO. Manuals are pretty much the "default" in Finland, although i think recently people have started to shift (hehe) more towards automatic cars.

If you drive manual, What is the gear you use or like the most?

I probably use 5th most, i live in a rural area so most of my driving is done at speeds of 80 - 100 km/h.

my brothers Drives manual. So I put that down xD.

He says when you have automatic it's harder because you can't change the gear, cause some other stuff I forgot. XD

What do you drive?
I drive with a manual

Never  driven one before. I am too used to manual to drive any other way.

I love using manuals.

Since my city has a lot of long streets, I mainly use third gear.

Took me a bit of practise to try and not look down when changing gears. But when I got used to it, I was so easy.

• 4 years later...

What do you drive?

My main car has manual transmission, backup car has automatic. I prefer manual.

It's convenient, as long as everything works perfectly, like most automatic things. But if the engine is acting up or whatever, then automatic transmission makes it worse. 

Manual transmission gives better control over the engine, especially if the engine is not working perfectly. Also, manual transmission allows me to push-start the car if I need to.

In the city it's usually third or fourth, on the highway it;s fourth (since my car does not have a fifth gear).

I learned to drive on a manual transmission and relatively recently started to drive the automatic (because I needed to use the backup car for a while). In my country, if you take the exam in a car with manual transmission, you can then drive either, but if you take the exam in a car with an automatic transmission, then you can only drive cars with automatic transmission, so the vast majority of people learn to drive and take the exam with the manual transmission.

I am getting my license next year (they cost like 3k to get here including all lessons and so far we only needed one driver in the family lmao) but most people I know drive stick. Including my wife. And everybody learns manual in driving school .. if you choose to switch to automatic later it's your choice. But I personally will stick to manual. 

Thinking of it I only know two people who drive/drove automatic.. one lives in the capital where he has to do a lot of stop & go.. and the other one is my aunt who had auto for only a few years. She HATED it. Said she felt "put under tutelage" with auto lol.