Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Energy drinks may be harmful to your health.

Rudehamster

I never used to drink caffeine before college, but ever since starting, and spending many sleepless nights studying/doing all the group homework alone, I have found myself addicted to caffeine. Now, when I started drinking the stuff, it was a just a small can of coke, or a mountain dew once and a while, but eventually I found myself struggling to concentrate without it. This caffeine thing is a problem for many reasons, for one, I have ADHD, and caffeine has this strange effect on me, it doesn't cause me to bounce off the walls, or go running around, but instead it causes me to sit and do stuff. Caffeine will make my mind wonder for hours upon end, and usually I drink it to get stuff done... which never happens. As the semesters went on, I started to crave the stuff more and more, and last semester I started drinking energy drinks, which in my opinion shouldn't be legal to sell to children. Energy drinks are particularly bad because of the concentration of caffeine contained in them, but at this current state I find myself irritable, drowsy, and uncomfortable if I don't get my daily monster. At this point I want to quit, and I am in the process of cutting back on the stuff, but it is going to be a long journey. So why energy drinks? well, one reason would be that they are very popular with a younger crowd of people, and the amount of caffeine is very dangerous for a younger body. It would actually be illegal to put this amount of caffeine in a 'soda' which is why they label their drink as an 'energy supplement' that is 'not marketed to teenagers' which is complete bull. Several of my younger friends are addicted to caffeine, and their primary source is from energy drinks. I guess I am focusing my anger towards Energy drinks simply because I am currently addicted to the caffeine present in them, and I really don't like the idea that a lot of people my age and younger will experience head aches, nausea, paranoia, and the other symptoms of withdrawal from this drug known as caffeine. This rant has little to no purpose, but I have a question: Are any of you 'addicted' to caffeine? If so, is it as serious as my addiction? worse? are you currently trying to get over it? or do you see a problem with caffeine at all? I want to know. Thanks for reading my long winded, poorly presented rant on something I am struggling with~ (the reason this isn't under life advise is because I am getting over it, and don't seek the help of others as it is something i already have help with)

Edited by Wingnut
Clarified title.
  • Brohoof 3

I wouldn't say I'm addicted to energy drinks, but I really like some of them. I know it's bad for me, but I don't drink it that often either - roughly twice in a week.

The effects of it, and if you get addicted or not, varies so much depending on each person. For me, I don't feel like it gives much energy at all. I don't even feel much of the after-effects either. I think that's why I'm not addicted: because I feel nothing after drinking it. Nonetheless, I know that they are bombs of sugar and caffeine and I would never exaggerate.

I've been addicted to caffeine yes, but I never touched monsters or energy drinks. But I was introduced to caffeine at an early age, since, soda was often higher on my list of priorities then even breathable air. About last year I decided to go with my friends to Alaska to work at a fishery, they didn't serve soda at the mess hall, and the stores wanted $4.00 for a fountain drink! So for two months I went without caffeine, I got headaches within two days, they lasted two weeks. But eventually it managed to get worked out of my system, I still have a soda every now and then, but I'm not constantly going to it like it was a flippin' fountain of youth like I used to.

Caffeine is more important that life. (Sarcasm) I don't drink energy drinks very often, because most of them taste like Satan's rotten piss. I really like the Rockstar Energy Lemonade, though. I prefer soda over energy drinks.

The energy drink craze mystifies me. What do the kids need all that energy for? They're not doing anything! ^_^ And you'd be amazed how quickly your energy problem is solved when you get some sleep at night instead of staying up gaming and texting till 2am. (i.e. my 15-year-old brother.)

i started drinking energy drinks 2 years ago, i average about 3 cans a day, sometimes i reach anywhere up to 10 cans. I also have been drinking 2-4Litres of Pepsi-Max per day for about 8 years. I am what is known as "Caffeine-dependent" i need to keep consuming caffeine else i get rather ill, it is basically beyond addiction.

Energy drinks shouldn't be illegal, if you drink them that is entirely up to you.

I see myself as a high risk of heart attacks/ Stomach ulcers because of my caffeine dependency but i quite honestly only drink either caffeinated drinks or alcohol, purely because that is all i like the taste of, i get a few bad side effects from consuming so much caffeine but i honestly couldn't give a buck, its my life and my body.

I drink a can of monster every day. Not for the caffeine though. I just really love the taste of how sweet it is. I wouldn't say I'm addicted purely because I've stopped drinking energy drinks for weeks at a time and didn't really think anything of it. My concentration stayed normal without it, I didn't think about it all the time because I didn't have any.

i started drinking energy drinks 2 years ago, i average about 3 cans a day, sometimes i reach anywhere up to 10 cans. I also have been drinking 2-4Litres of Pepsi-Max per day for about 8 years. I am what is known as "Caffeine-dependent" i need to keep consuming caffeine else i get rather ill, it is basically beyond addiction.

Energy drinks shouldn't be illegal, if you drink them that is entirely up to you.

I see myself as a high risk of heart attacks/ Stomach ulcers because of my caffeine dependency but i quite honestly only drink either caffeinated drinks or alcohol, purely because that is all i like the taste of, i get a few bad side effects from consuming so much caffeine but i honestly couldn't give a buck, its my life and my body.

I should clarify, I don't think energy drinks should be illegal in general, I think there should be an age restriction, like with alcoholic beverages, as the amount of caffeine is dangerous for younger people.

I used to have the biggest tolerance and addiction to caffeine. Mine was so bad that I would have to drink like 10 redbulls to feel any effect at all, which logically should have killed me. I manged to down 13 one time and my heart just began to flutter nonstop. It was then that I figured I wouldn't touch one of these ever again.

I haven't since.

• Brohoof 2

Caffeine has no effect on me. I feel no different at all when I consume it. I do usually drink a soda or two a day, but I've stopped for months before with no ill effects. Kind of a curse and blessing at the same time. (Would be nice to get an energy boost from it every once in a while.)

It's an Illuminati scam to poison our generation with energy drinks so they can sell you the anti-depressants for when you try to get off the energy drinks but can't...They give you the monosodium glutamate (MSG), the partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs) high fructose corn syrup, artificial color and all the other processed garbage they put in your stomach and call it "food"...America you are asleep WAKEUP they give you the energy drinks so you can work your dead end job while giving the corporations more money as they wage wars in the Middle East

• Brohoof 1

yeah i usually just drink energy drinks for the taste (mainly Rock Star juiced) i can't say iv'e every been addicted to it and i've never rely used it to keep my self alert it just something i drink when i go to the Gym i rather have orange juice.

also i think they need to be need to have some kind of age restriction for then so little kids can buy it and it rely doesn't need to be advertised like they are now.

• Brohoof 1

I usually drink one a day (Monster and Amp are my favorites). When i'm not drinking energy drinks, I drink coffee or Mt. Dew. So yes, i'm very caffeine dependent :P

As for giving them an age restriction....not really. I mean, sure, I don't think a 10 year old should be drinking energy drinks, but it's the parents job to monitor what their kids consume anyway

Edited by DashPony

Caffeine has no affect on me. Well, it doesn't nowadays, but in the past, it didn't do much for me either. I've actually been drinking a lot of it lately. I downed a 24 pack of Mountain Dew over the course of 2 days. That, mixed with some antibiotics I was on for a throat and ear infection, did wonders for my kidneys. I'm not addicted to caffeine, but the fact that it dehydrates somebody rather hydrate make me think I need to drink more, so I do.

I was in a lot of pain until I stopped drinking soda instantly. Switched to water with sugar free drink mix and now that pain has disappeared.

Edited by Autumn Skies

I usually drink one a day (Monster and Amp are my favorites). When i'm not drinking energy drinks, I drink coffee or Mt. Dew. So yes, i'm very caffeine dependent :P

As for giving them an age restriction....not really. I mean, sure, I don't think a 10 year old should be drinking energy drinks, but it's the parents job to monitor what their kids consume anyway

The problem with the whole argument that "parents should monitor that" is that unfortunately, a lot of kids don't have parents that care enough to watch what their kids do...

I love Monster, which is of course and energy srink. It's actually mah favorite drink. I probably drink 4-5 cans a week. I should try cutting down a little, but still, it's taste is interesting. It's extremely tangy and sweet, and it fills me up real fast, so usually, I can't eat food with it, or else mah stomach gets too full.

I wasn't really addicted to caffeine, but I did have a problem with energy drinks. The first anxiety attack I had was a few minutes after I finished a Nos energy drink, then I was working on a soda too. Ever since then I have stopped drinking energy drinks and limiting my soda intake. I like to drink coffee in the morning, but that is only if I am up early in the morning and it is already made.

On addiction, I could possibly get addicted to caffeine, but I smoke cigarettes. Nothing is stronger than that addiction.

Not really addicted I try to cut down. My body isn't used to it, I hardly drink coffee/energy drinks or eat chocolate but when I do, I get hyper easily. I literally get out of control, laugh randomly and do very stupid things.

Same thing goes with alcohol I get drunk easily because my body isn't used to it.

I'm not sure if I'm caffeine dependent, but I do love my coffee. Even so, I started drinking Monsters a few weeks ago, and the energy effect was very powerful at first. There's more to those things than just caffeine. After a while they did nothing, but I love the taste, so I was addicted very quickly. Once I drank four cans over an eight hour work shift. On my drive home, I felt shaky. The effect wasn't immediately obvious anymore, as it had to build up my system before I noticed it--and at that point, it wasn't a pleasant burst of "energy," rather it put me in a paranoid, jumpy state.

And forget about it improving concentration when it gets like that. I have a tulpa (an imaginary friend that requires intense meditation to create), but I could barely even focus on her at all that night. All I know is she begged me not to drink anymore of them. I decided to quit right then and there. For a few days after that, I had symptoms of an overactive bladder. Fortunately though, a strong will against addiction runs in my family, so I was able to quit pretty easily. I'm just glad I quit at the first sign of trouble.

• Brohoof 1

I was consuming a lot of "Red Bull" during high-school and especially my time in the army.

We had a lot of physical work and not very much sleep and since I don't drink coffee, I drank about 5-6 cans Red Bull a day.

After about one month I got an awful heartburn everytime I drank one and therefore I stopped.

Nowadays I drink about 1 can in 5 month and I feel totally nervous and tense after consuming energy drinks.

I agree, they are tasty, but they seem to have really bad effects on some people including me

No offense to the people who like energy drinks, but I tried RedBull and Monster Before, it tastes like cough syrup. I rather drink coffee if I need my caffeine.