Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Energy drinks may be harmful to your health.

Rudehamster

Anything is bad for you if you drink too much, it's just that "too much" for energy drinks isn't that much at all.

Edited by HunterTSN
  • Brohoof 1

Well thank God that I don't want to go near any energy drink (except Red Bull :3). I tried Monster once and it was fucking HORRIBLE! Seriously, it's literally liquid sugar mixed with a ton of artificial sweeteners! I had just one sip, then I threw the can with all of it's contents into the bin XD

• Brohoof 1

Personally?  I love the taste of Monster, and Red Bull.  Back in High School, I drank Monsters more than I care to divulge.  Because of the frequency of my consumption of energy drinks, I began to experience heart palpitations.  For those of you who have never experienced on of those before, your heart speeds up faster than you would ever think possible without killing you.  In fact, many times I thought that I was having a heart attack.  Not pleasant, I'll tell you that much. :blush:  I ended up stopping cold turkey after that.  The heart palpitations stopped, and I have not had one since.  More recently, I gave up all soda in general.  Diabetes runs in the family, and I am beginning to take every precaution possible so that I can to avoid it. 

• Brohoof 1

They probably are pretty dangerous, but I'm going to try them some day anyway. I just wanna see what it feels like.

On average, most preparations of Coffee has more Caffeine in them (particularly in a per-Litre scale) than soft drinks and energy drinks do. And the LD50 of Caffeine is 150-200mg/kg of body mass (so 1.5-2g of Caffeine per 10kg mass).

As someone who drinks mostly Mt Dew Energized (Aussie Caffeinated Mt. Dew, released mid-2012, 154mg/L), I would need to drink at LEAST 1x 1L bottles of it per-kilogram of my mass on the low-end ratio of 150mg/kg. Seeing as I'm around 127kg, that means I'd need to drink 127L of Mt Dew Energized to have a 50/50 chance of dying from caffeine, at which point I'm more likely to have issues from the amount of Sugar (123g/L) long before I hit the cap on the Caffeine.

Everything (including water) will kill you in high enough concentrations, so you have to look at the big picture and balance out things so you don't blow them out of proportion.

Product - Serving size - Caffeine per serving (mg) - Caffeine (mg/L)

Caffeine tablet (regular-strength) - 1 tablet - 100 - N/A

Caffeine tablet (extra-strength) - 1 tablet - 200 - N/A

Excedrin - tablet - 1 tablet - 65 - N/S

Hershey's Milk Chocolate (11% cacao content) - 1 bar (43 g or 1.5 oz) - 10 - N/A

Percolated coffee - 207 mL (7.0 US fl oz) 80–135 - 386–652

Drip coffee - 207 mL (7.0 US fl oz) - 115–175 - 555–845

Coffee, decaffeinated - 207 mL - (7.0 US fl oz) 5–15 - 24–72

Coffee, espresso - 44–60 mL - (1.5–2.0 US fl oz) 100 - 1,691–2,254

Tea – black, green, and other types, – steeped for 3 min. 177 millilitres (6.0 US fl oz) 22–748889

Guayakí yerba mate (loose leaf) 6 g (0.21 oz) 8590 - approx. 358

Coca-Cola Classic - 355 mL (12.0 US fl oz) - 34 - 96

Mountain Dew - 355 mL (12.0 US fl oz) - 54 - 154

Pepsi Max - 355 mL (12.0 US fl oz) - 69 - 194

Guaraná Antarctica - 350 mL (12 US fl oz) - 30 - 100

Jolt Cola - 695 mL (23.5 US fl oz) - 280 - 403

Red Bull - 250 mL (8.5 US fl oz) - 80 - 320

Thanks Wikipedia! Edited by Technous285

Yes they are bad for you one of the main ingredients in energy drinks in guarana which is extremely potent having about 3 times the caffeine of your typical blend of coffee and interesting factoid is drunk straight up in some parts of Africa and is typically served hot much like coffee. With that said though yes I do drink them every now and then to give myself an extra push at work but I am looking forward to the day where I no longer need those things. My job is very physically and mentally demanding and the fact that my knee keeps deteriorating is really not helping me.

My lips never touched an energy drink, and I want to keep it that way. I've seen the nutrition facts on the side of Monster drinks, and man do they have a LOT of bad stuff in them. The sugar and caffeine content is astounding. Drinking a small mocha from McDonald's causes me to shake, so I can't imagine what energy drinks could do to me. On the news, I've heard about the dangers of energy drinks and what they can do to your health.

Heck, I stopped drinking soda because of how bad it is for your health. Nowadays if I want something to keep me awake, I drink warm tea with honey in the morning. Delicous and good for you. :3

Edited by MissBookworm

Redbull is the only energy drink I'll drink and then maybe only once or twice a year due to special circumstances. I've pretty much cut out all soda too because I don't want the dreaded Diabeetus.

Im a bit afraid of drinking energy drinks, I used to drink at least 1 evry weekend. After a while i started getting shaky and my heart started beating like crazy and i felt nauseaus evry time i drank one. I have no idea why, But i stoped completly after that. :mellow:

I for one am a big fan of energy drinks, my main favorites being Redbull, Monster and bluebear, however this doesn't mean I don't know they are fucking lethal! I do drink them because I enjoy them, as well as having to  get up at six in the morning to go to my part time job so I need a little boost..so yeah . I don't think they should be enforced but I think they should not  be banned either.  Anything if done to excess can and will kill you.

Edited by ArcusPluviusIncitus

Energy drinks are like whiskey.

One can ain't gonna kill you.

But if you keep downing one can after the next, it's eventually going to kill you.

Just drink responsively and you nothing to worry about.

:eww: I heard they are very bad for your heart, and I think a kid got put in the hospital for drinking an energy drink (kidney failure?), or a story about a dude who drank 8 Monsters and his heart exploded. Wise tales, maybe not. I have tried an energy drink before, a few actually. I like them, but they are waaaay too sugary. I tried the Starbucks energy drinks (because I like coffee), but they taste almost purely like water or something. So I don't drink them anymore.

Edited by Nature Of Fluttershy

I usually go for the sugar-free ones, but they also pack as much caffeine (probably more) than coffee itself. I'd rather stick to my two cups of coffee instead. 

I used to drink tons of energy before I kicked the habit of eating and drinking lots of junk every day. The taste is pretty nice, but the feeling I get from it these days just feels extremely uncomfortable. I feel on edge. I feel full of uncomfortable energy that I wouldn't be able to release even if I'd sprint a mile, my heart starts to beat faster and louder until the point that I can't ignore it at all anymore.

On the topic of whether it can kill you or not. Everything in high dosage can kill you. Coffee, water, energy drinks, nutmeg, apples. It all depends on your allergies, sensitivities and health.

Hi .  We already have a topic on the possible risks associated with energy drinks so I went ahead and merged your thread with it.  I also updated the title to make the thread's purpose a little clearer.  For more energy drink discussion, be sure to check this thread out as well:  http://mlpforums.com/topic/11028-energy-drinks/

Personally, I almost never consume them.  Monster tastes OK to me, but it doesn't seem to give me that much of a boost.  No more than drinking coffee does.  I can take energy drinks or leave them. 

I heard they can give you energy and my brother drinks Red Bull, and 5 hour energy but from him, he crashes often and acts weird so I think those drinks are advertised to be helpful but really hurts you.

Of course energy drinks are potentially dangerous! That being said, I find it highly necessary to drink at least one at work! My preference is Red Bull, but I won't say no to most Amp, Monster, or KickStart flavors...

• 3 years later...
On 9/19/2012 at 5:29 PM, Rudehamster said:

I should clarify, I don't think energy drinks should be illegal in general, I think there should be an age restriction, like with alcoholic beverages, as the amount of caffeine is dangerous for younger people.

Come to the UK, they are now