Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The phrase "Love and Tolerate"

Clarity

Wtf? seriously I thought this was an opinion not a freaking debate. I'm going to give my two cents on this. First I don't love and tolerate I only do half of this. I tolerate more people now and don't get into any more arguments about stuff as I respect their opinion or tolerate their behavior especially at work. Secondly, I'm not going to love everybody in life but I will treat them like friends. On a side note I don't think that just because i'm a brony doesn't mean i'm going to follow the rules of love and tolerance to the teeth. Because that would be the Celestians.

According to "Know Your Meme", it started on 4Chan a while ago during when our Brony Forerunners were engaged in Internet flame wars with a Flood of Brony Haters. It was meant as a counter flame to the obviously hateful anti-Brony comments and pictures. Call me a loser? I'll turn the other cheek. Post up a picture of something bad happening to ponies? The philosophy of peace in the show bids that I accept you. It was meant to make haters frustrated indirectly because they seemingly couldn't get Bronies mad. The caveat to this is: "Speak ill of Derpy? B*tch, I will stab you in the eye. Straight in the eye. With an ice pick." The message of peace has limits damn it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

Edited by DoctorDerp

Love and Tolerate is in it's most basic form a motto for the brony community. I don't know about you, but I take the motto to heart.

Edited by Sharp Staccato
  • Brohoof 1

You don't have to like it. You just have to deal with it. Welcome to the world as we adults know it.

On another note

@@Arcanel,

I can call that two things. Lack of foresight or too much hindsight. The inconclusive nature of your logic, can get pretty damn irritating. It's like you were born to love and tolerate (the proper meaning). Like you were born a brony soldier.

Dat respond...to be honest, I don't what "welcome to the world of adults as we know it" has to do with anything Your Friend said. Besides, you don't even know if he IS an adult :lol: . But eh, I'll keep out of that one. On to the other thing, well, you're not the first person to tell that I can be annoying with that. Trust me. I WISH I was born to love and tolerate :D . But nah, like any other human being I have being exactly the opposite on some occasions. But hey, again, we're all human beings. It was the reaction I had in each occasion. Would I like to change it when I act mean and I probably shouldn't have? Sure, but I can't, pure and simple.What's done is done. I myself know, that my type of attitude could be the end of me in the current society/world. Because right now, we are lacking people who ARE loving, tolerant, accepting and respecting. Or at least, the ones that are able to make a change faster than we can. What I type in here is my actual way of being. In fact, it's almost funny when people get annoyed by that, and it's not even my intention! :P But nah, i don't like to troll. Using my way of being as a way to troll is just NOT right. Do I like lack either foresight or hindsight? (which to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what they mean) Maybe, but until it causes me trouble, I won't care. And I consider myself smart enough to know when that will happen. Ot at the most least, so I think. You can never be too sure of your own mind after all. But anyway, dealing with it is something else in this case. It's a matter of opinions. You're stating yours, I'm stating mine, so is everyone else. Although I do have to admit, I have a thing for getting myself into discussions and following trhough as hardly as Applejack would probably do :lol: .

love (respect) and tolerate (acceptance is a better word l.u.)

Respect and acceptance...yes...that sounds better for us and can be interpreted MUCH easier for us bronies as a while...and the rest of the humanity while we're at it. :)

Ah ceresbane starting anothing Debate.

*sips tea* Now where have i seen this before? heheh.

But clearly this debate is fultile. Its all subject to opinion. And if opinions are debated then the dabate can last forever.

@ceresbane

I Know where your coming from. Since that WAS the original meaning, u believe it still has the same meaning.

*shakes head*

That is simply not the Case. It may have the same meaning to you. But to other it has changed. Hippies believed they can spread love and peace, maybe we are the hippies of today heheh.

Its nto a bad phrase to go by. Its nice to be optimistic and believe in love and toleration. Even if the original meaning of the term came from the depths of hell, it can change. Hell we originated from the depths of internet hell, and look where we have become, we have become something greater. Words meanings have always changed through history, why not a phrase in a simple community?

My point is even if the phrase has a bad history, it can still have a different meaning. You believe in the original meaning, it was used agianst haters. Other believe in other meanings. Its all a matter of opinion.

Once again, its not a bad phrase to live by. Yes i know, many people don't follow it, many use it to annoy. Thats true. And i can understand that. Its human nature to disagree, to fight, and to dislike and hate. You can almost say it can be impossible to "love and tolerate". That can be true. But even ifs its tough to love and tolerate evryone, its still aint a bad thing to at least TRY and live by.

And because of this, my meaning of the phrase is different. This is what i believe it to be.

To love, as in not Hate.

U can dislike things and stuff, u don't have to love everything, but u shouldn't hate everything either. Try not to Hate everything in the world, it ok to dislike poeple and stuff, just don't hate. Hatred can mean different things. From the simplilest dislike, to despising something to the point of murder. Hatred to do terrible things. Like i said its ok to not like something or someone, but at least try to understand one another, see the good in people, and stuff. Not Hate 'em. Hate can be strong thing.

That brings me to Toleration.

To tolerate means to understand, to recognize ones opinions and beliefs. Its human nature to disagree, but at least keep an open mind. Try and understand ones views and opinions. Their beliefs an where their coming from. Instead of just downright disagreeing and therefore hating their views and them. U don't have to like their views, u can disagree, but at least understand where they are coming from, and keep an open mind. Something u can learn, Ceresbane.

"the key in a conversation, is to disagree, without being disagreeable" Thats something i like to keep in mind when argueing and when i disagree with someone.

Love and Toleration, work together, and as long as you try, try to tolerate, try to not hate crap for stupid things. Its a nice philosphy to follow. Not indoctrine though. Ceres here think we have the phrase imbeaded in our heads.

Also @Birthday RacoonBL

Toleration just mean to understand ones views. You can Tolerate and accept. The tolerate u are thinking of is the one where u can withstand certain things. It has two meanings.

Although the second meaning aint bad to follow. To ignore what negativity people spew at you.

And those are my views on the matter. *sips tea*

Care to rebut Ceres?

(I don't think i did the mentioning correct... sorry for being ignorant on that)

For the love of Celestia tell me that you ARE in a debate club or something! Or that you'll be practicing for something political, or a lawyer, something! It's like you are Edgeworth in person! (And I barely even know the character! :wacko: ). I can agree with you said on Love and Tolerance. It's something that could drive us. Thing is, we need to make it happen. When? Who knows. But we need to try. Somehow. Or at the most least, moderate the meaning of the actual phrase into something we as a whole can unify more properly, and carry on from there. But eh, this is something that takes tiime. Especially on such a big community :) .
  • Brohoof 2

Well, I'm in the Royal Air Force and the love and tolerate we have for eachother is pretty awesome

The love and toleration we have for anyone else (Bloody navy..) is.. Well, A little different.

It all depends on who it is you are loving and tolerating, of course..

Dat respond...to be honest, I don't what "welcome to the world of adults as we know it" has to do with anything Your Friend said. Besides, you don't even know if he IS an adult :lol: . But eh, I'll keep out of that one. On to the other thing, well, you're not the first person to tell that I can be annoying with that. Trust me. I WISH I was born to love and tolerate :D . But nah, like any other human being I have being exactly the opposite on some occasions. But hey, again, we're all human beings. It was the reaction I had in each occasion. Would I like to change it when I act mean and I probably shouldn't have? Sure, but I can't, pure and simple.What's done is done. I myself know, that my type of attitude could be the end of me in the current society/world. Because right now, we are lacking people who ARE loving, tolerant, accepting and respecting. Or at least, the ones that are able to make a change faster than we can. What I type in here is my actual way of being. In fact, it's almost funny when people get annoyed by that, and it's not even my intention! :P But nah, i don't like to troll. Using my way of being as a way to troll is just NOT right. Do I like lack either foresight or hindsight? (which to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what they mean) Maybe, but until it causes me trouble, I won't care. And I consider myself smart enough to know when that will happen. Ot at the most least, so I think. You can never be too sure of your own mind after all. But anyway, dealing with it is something else in this case. It's a matter of opinions. You're stating yours, I'm stating mine, so is everyone else. Although I do have to admit, I have a thing for getting myself into discussions and following trhough as hardly as Applejack would probably do :lol: .

Respect and acceptance...yes...that sounds better for us and can be interpreted MUCH easier for us bronies as a while...and the rest of the humanity while we're at it. :)

For the love of Celestia tell me that you ARE in a debate club or something! Or that you'll be practicing for something political, or a lawyer, something! It's like you are Edgeworth in person! (And I barely even know the character! :wacko: ). I can agree with you said on Love and Tolerance. It's something that could drive us. Thing is, we need to make it happen. When? Who knows. But we need to try. Somehow. Or at the most least, moderate the meaning of the actual phrase into something we as a whole can unify more properly, and carry on from there. But eh, this is something that takes tiime. Especially on such a big community :) .

I wish i had a Debate club at my school. Sadly there isn't. Sucks.

I'm considering law, but i'm more likely to get into something with the sciences.

I wish everyone at least tried to love and tolerate. Less hatred and fighting would make the world a better place.

• Brohoof 3

I'm just gonna come out and say it, that phrase is overrated!

While I do understand the meaning, and I know that we're more forgiving than most, I seems like we're just not going to stand up for ourselves. If we're get pushed around.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't raised that way.

Now I'm not saying we should fight with everyone we have our disagreements with, but we should pick our battles, not run away from all of them. and that's what I've seen being done when they use that phrase.

And I'm sorry, if someone said something bad to me, I'll be damned if I ever learn to "love" them, I barely "tolerate" them.

Personally I don't say this phrase out loud, but when I get into an argument on the internet I at least TRY to follow it. I try to be as respectful as possible and to calmly diffuse the situation. Now I admit sometimes I fail to do this. (I get frustrated or mad.)

It's up to you how you want to use this phrase when it comes to dealing with things like this.

I'm just gonna come out and say it, that phrase is overrated!

While I do understand the meaning, and I know that we're more forgiving than most, I seems like we're just not going to stand up for ourselves. If we're get pushed around.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't raised that way.

Now I'm not saying we should fight with everyone we have our disagreements with, but we should pick our battles, not run away from all of them. and that's what I've seen being done when they use that phrase.

And I'm sorry, if someone said something bad to me, I'll be damned if I ever learn to "love" them, I barely "tolerate" them.

Eh, don't worry about it. What you do isn't exactly wrong. At all. Besides, it's not like you're going on a rage spree and insult everyone you disagree with, and I don't see you being the type to do stuff like that EVEN with the people you DO disagree with. Sure, you get angry, but not almost implying being violent or stuff like that. You also said "sorry", and that alone tells a lot about your character, angry or not :) . I think there's a phrase John de Lancie, the voice of Discord if you didn't know, said on a note he wrote to us, when speaking of the Bronycon Documentary. He said "Until what point is tolerating not part of the problem?", and I agree. Yes, I tolerate, love, respect and accept (those two last words seem better to follow) many, many more than I probably even should, but hey, that's how I think. Although I don't think the phrase means to let yourself get pushed around. If anything, bronies, while being tolerating, are normally so energetic in that way that it could discourage you from continuing on the hate at the start. The only ones we really should fight are those who have a logical explanation, an that could be wrong, and explain why they could be wrong in a civilized way. That's it. Anyone else is probably not worth the effort.

Besides, there's one thing else. The phrase is not only to be taken as a life motto, but also as something the community as whole takes in. It's like, the phrase we shroud ourselves in so that we can protect ourselves, and live by. Ceresbane here told that the origin of the phrase wsa to troll the haters, and since it came from 4chan, it's not a wrong acception. But now, the phrase has different meanings for the different people, which is why we need to unify the phrase into something common that we can all follow. Maybe, we should slightly change it, so that it's something better to follow, but this is something that has to be agreed as a whole. Something really, really difficult in a comminuty this big and advanced in the following of the phrase.

• 3 years later...

I don't get the whole thing...

The show's motto is "Friendship is Magic". Not "Love and Tolerate". The show is not called "My Little Pony: Love and Tolerate". The show is called "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic".

And then a lot of the Love and Tolerate Bronies tend to not make sense most of the time...

They only Love and Tolerate you if you: Hate Flash Sentry, hate Alicorn Twilight, hate Alicorn OC's, think Princess Celestia is a tyrant, think Applejack is a background pony, and think FlutterMac is canon.

Where did the phrase even come from...? It sounds like one of those shabby things a kids school would make up to try stop bullying.

Edited by Little Riolu 2
  • Brohoof 1

Love and Tolerate is an annoying attachment people stick to bronies because back when people on 4Chan were the only bronies, they used the phase, ironically..then people who were new to the whole ponies thing saw and took it seriously. Then it spread super fast. I prefer the phrase "Don't feed the parasprites!" Because it is somewhat clever and has some relevance to the show.