Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why I am a Anti-Brony

PonyEcho

Ok, I kinda agree with you on that. However, I don't think that ALL bronies and stuff are like that. Some are, but as you can tell, MLP forums mostly have a lot of members who love the show for the show. However, it's not against the law to laugh at pony memes. I view pony memes, but I don't judge my MLP opinions just based on what everyone else thinks. I like some memes, but some are just bleh. I personally enjoy Princess Trollestia (NOT Molestia....ick.) and some pony memes.

About the Derpy thing, ok, but again, not all bronies are like this. For me, an 'anti-brony' is a person who delibertly TRIES to spam, hate, and threaten bronies. Your not like that. Still, don't accuse ALL bronies of being like that. However, I have to admit, I didn't think the Derpy thing was offensive at all....but that's MY opinion. It's just a kids show....but Your free to express what you want, I just happen not to agree with it.

I understand your point. But please don't go all around thinking we are ALL like this. I think you should be considered a brony, you don't have to like the memes or whatever to be a brony. Like the show? Your a brony. Simple as that. If you also like the memes, kudos for you too. Just don't judge everything based on the fanbase. You make your own decisions.

I just dislike the word brony, the root word, bro is even worse, unless you are my brother, you don't call me bro

I am not nervous about my enjoyment of MLP, I use my blind bag ponies as tokens in card games, some positive responses, some mildly negative (nothing insulting towards me, though not so much anymore, I had a really bad temper).

The word "Brony" originated from the origins of the fandom to this show, 4Chan.

Here's a quick summary of it -

• My Little Pony, the shows title.
  • Origin of topic post to the show on 4Chan, /b/
  • A name for users on /b/, bro
  • bro + pony = Brony.

If you didn't know, now you do.

• Brohoof 1

man i can't believe you were partly responsible for them getting rid of derpy. major non-cool points bro.

and i wish people would stop generalize about this and that. why dont you just say you don't like some bronies and find them elitist and leave it at that. otherwise it's really inflammatory.

I agree with you fully, Glitterlicious. Just because 'some' bronies were being dicks doesnt mean you have to hate on 'all' of them. You do have some good points bro but in my opinion you're taking things a little too personally. Just tolerate all those elitists and move on. DO NOT HATE, LOVE AND TOLERATE :mellow:

the brony community is expanding, and with it are the extremists and those who like rule 34 and the like. if they didn't like the fact that you didn't like my little dashie well they are in the wrong but there is no reason to go away from us for them. while, as you say, the love and tolerate thing may not apply to all of us but there are some who live by it. also just for the record i have never seen older bronies treat newer ones with dis respect just saying

Ok, I kinda agree with you on that. However, I don't think that ALL bronies and stuff are like that. Some are, but as you can tell, MLP forums mostly have a lot of members who love the show for the show. However, it's not against the law to laugh at pony memes. I view pony memes, but I don't judge my MLP opinions just based on what everyone else thinks. I like some memes, but some are just bleh. I personally enjoy Princess Trollestia (NOT Molestia....ick.) and some pony memes.

About the Derpy thing, ok, but again, not all bronies are like this. For me, an 'anti-brony' is a person who delibertly TRIES to spam, hate, and threaten bronies. Your not like that. Still, don't accuse ALL bronies of being like that. However, I have to admit, I didn't think the Derpy thing was offensive at all....but that's MY opinion. It's just a kids show....but Your free to express what you want, I just happen not to agree with it.

I understand your point. But please don't go all around thinking we are ALL like this. I think you should be considered a brony, you don't have to like the memes or whatever to be a brony. Like the show? Your a brony. Simple as that. If you also like the memes, kudos for you too. Just don't judge everything based on the fanbase. You make your own decisions.

am i just smashing my head against a wall?

i am fully aware that its the entire fandom it a smallish part that is just noticeable but is never notice and just ignored and i am not gonna sit there and ignore it because there bronies.

i don't hate on bronies

i just hate the fact that bronies feel the need to tower over newer member of the community and be borderline mean just because the newer person has done something they believe to be wrong and i'm not gonna sit here an let it happen i'm just gonna flat out tell them to cut it the fuck out.

FUCK THE BRONIES WHO DO THAT you not superior and on higher level to everyone else and i will drag you back down.... im rambling sorry

also i've just though of a better thing to call myself other then Anti-Brony, Asshole :)

"Love and Tolerance had become a joke and nothing more then people saying " it may appear like i'm paying attention to you but your opinion mean nothing to me" its a shield just like when jerk pull out the word politically correct to defend themselves when people point out the jerks."

True dat.

am i just smashing my head against a wall?

i am fully aware that its the entire fandom it a smallish part that is just noticeable but is never notice and just ignored and i am not gonna sit there and ignore it because there bronies.

i don't hate on bronies

i just hate the fact that bronies feel the need to tower over newer member of the community and be borderline mean just because the newer person has done something they believe to be wrong and i'm not gonna sit here an let it happen i'm just gonna flat out tell them to cut it the fuck out.

FUCK THE BRONIES WHO DO THAT you not superior and on higher level to everyone else and i will drag you back down.... im rambling sorry

also i've just though of a better thing to call myself other then Anti-Brony, Asshole :)

throws confetti Welcome !!! throws confetti yeah i'v started doing this when i meet a new member instead of just doing this in the welcoming plaza

enjoy the forums :)

Here's the problem: you're just becoming part of the problem. When you do stuff like this, you inevitably increase the drama.

As bad as some of these people are, drama is MUCH worse. Drama is petty, stupid, and gives a bad appearance to the show's community.

You want the jerks to go away? Ignore 'em. They're like trolls, only less aware. Without attention, they'll quickly whither away. What you need to do is do what a Brony does. Enjoy the show. Everything else is just secondary and subject to your own desires. You don't have to do anything, except like the show.

Just express your opinions in a concise, happy fashion. Follow Wil Wheaton's Law. Don't contribute to drama. Be nice to other bronies and respect their opinions. Ignore trolls and haters. That is the job of anyone in the fandom.

You are not helping the problem. You are making it bigger. This is the one case where the best thing you can do is ignore the problem. Everything you posted is just completely unrelated jargon that can easily be addressed in other locations.

And a brony is a fan of the show. Are you a fan of the show? Then you're a brony. Welcome to the herd, motherbucker.

• Brohoof 3

erm yeah i was being nice to the new member its what i do for all new members and that's not gonna change and i think it was much better then reporting for bypassing the character limit but i considered he may not know how.

also based on something you said earlier thread don't work that way you cant just / close thread at you own convenience and alltho the actually purpose of this thread was me being lazy its gonna stay open until a mod says otherwise.

erm yeah i was being nice to the new member its what i do for all new members and that's not gonna change and i think it was much better then reporting for bypassing the character limit but i considered he may not know how.

also based on something you said earlier thread don't work that way you cant just / close thread at you own convenience and alltho the actually purpose of this thread was me being lazy its gonna stay open until a mod says otherwise.

I was largely referring more to your increasingly inane response to the objections that we propose.

As for the "/end thread" remark, I was pointing out that he easily answered all of your objections and did so in a logical fashion. You have not raised any reply to it, which makes me think you can't think of any. It was a joke, mostly, but you cannot continue this argument, and you have avoided the objections I raised in my previous post.

Are you even reading these?

• Brohoof 1

Are you even reading these?

why yes i am thanks for asking i read his post gave a nod and moved on to another thread i didn't need to rely because i didn't need to object to what he said allot of people here have made great respectable points here and i have taken them all into consideration and the whole Anti-bronie thing may have been me jumping the gun but i'm like that i'm not the kind of person to ignore shit i don't agree with and i damn well don't like when other people say to ignore it because they make it worse and almost acceptable.

the purpose of this thread was to explain why i and what i am and why i'll continue to be and people chose to reply also i avoided brohoofing on this topic because kind wanted it to be a bro hoof free zone.

why yes i am thanks for asking i read his post gave a nod and moved on to another thread i didn't need to rely because i didn't need to object to what he said allot of people here have made great respectable points here and i have taken them all into consideration and the whole Anti-bronie thing may have been me jumping the gun but i'm like that i'm not the kind of person to ignore shit i don't agree with and i damn well don't like when other people say to ignore it because they make it worse and almost acceptable.

the purpose of this thread was to explain why i and what i am and why i'll continue to be and people chose to reply also i avoided brohoofing on this topic because kind wanted it to be a bro hoof free zone.

Alright, I can respect most of that. But one last question.

Everything, all these problems, are mostly all for attention. The whole Derpy thing, My Little Dashie, people calling themselves older fans and bashing on new people, all these problems are do to people drawing too much attention to things. The attention makes drama, which, as I have said, is an even bigger problem.

You point out the Derpy issue, it gets more attention. It makes people bring this thing up again, old opinions reflame, people get angry. The strongest of the opinions, the stupid .05% of the fandom are just going to cause a stink and mentioning it isn't going to fix anything, just hurt it.

Talking about MLD is just a rather unsubtle way of pointing out your opinion, same with the rest of the fanworks. By talking about it, you are going to point out to people that you don't like it. Again, the stupid ones are going to cause a stink about it and get angry at you, breeding more problems.

As for the old guard (though I have never seen this problem myself, you are only reminding them of what they pride themselves on and giving them another opportunity to rub it in people's faces, and making the old fans who aren't jerks feel bad.

All these problems are just made worse by attention. What good is your attention towards these problem going to do?

• Brohoof 2

I got to say sir, that your arguments became invalid the moment you started spewing curse words left and right. I am not trying to be rude here, but at least have the decency to keep the language in here safe for work. The arguments you have brought up so far have done little to prove your point. Although you do a good job of stating your opinion (which I fully respect) you do little to actually provide reasons or points for your opinions. This thread is just turning into nothing more then another flame wars thread. I am kinda awestruck by the whole thread. Another thing, who taught you basic grammar? I have dyslexia so I have a difficult time reading even well worded statements, but I have one hell of a time trying to discern your posts.

Anyway, let me get to my main points. Just because someone says there are requirements for being a brony, does not make it true. And anyone who is abusing the power of being a brony for some sort of gain should just be ignored. One more important thing, if you are letting other peoples opinions affect you, you are giving into their power. That is how trolling works, one should not care about what other jerks say because it only feeds the jerks and gives them some form of satisfaction. The simple fact that you let it bother you just means that the haters win. Well anyways, my opinions are my opinons and your opinions are your opinions. To each his own right? Believe what you feel is right.

Edited by Bronynonymous
  • Brohoof 1

I see what you're saying. As much as I like MLP, sometimes I feel I don't really fit in with its fandom. I have quite a number of unpopular opinions about details about the show itself as well as some aspects of the fandom.

I'll address a few popular subjects here, for example, that aren't exactly addressing your post.

My Little Dashie was my first fan fiction I had read in a year, as well as my first pony story. I think it is better than most fanfics in the pony community (I dislike about 90% of them), but I didn't bawl my eyes out of anything like that. I liked how it showed how love comes in all different shapes and forms. I have spoken to RobCakeran53 before and he is a pretty nice fellow.

I really am getting tired of phrases like "10 seconds flat," "20% cooler" and "love and tolerate." They're really old now. Quoting Rainbow Dash from episodes that aired over a year ago get really stale. It's lame now. "Love and tolerate" is also lame and old.

Derpy's change isn't the end of the world. I was disappointed, but Derpy is really nothing more than a background character/Internet meme. I really wish that scene wasn't in an Applejack episode, seeing her episodes aren't written as well as some others.

Every fandom had its ups-and-downs. I still believe we have some great things like music and animations. Heck, one animation I saw was close to having better animation than in the actual show.

• Brohoof 2

i'm not the kind of Anti-brony that you would usually think of, i like the show, i like talking about it and i like bronies based on a individual bases. I'm against the idea that we all have to conform to the popular opinions of the fanbase and those who don't are looked down upon and branded hater or troll or fake bronies or what ever it called now.

I know how you feel. The show is just a show and its okay to talk about it right? It is very well done and i absolutely love the people who work on it, i own alot of there other stuff so im okay with liking it. I did read MLD and I did think it was very sad but not to the point of crying. Its just a story, i can have my own opinions about it as you can have yours, people of the internet. But back to the point, I'm just like you, I'm won't necessarily call myself a brony or even like being a brony at sometimes because i think it gets too outrageous if you think about it. But i am kinda going through some tough times right now so it kinda keeps my spirits up, so i switch back and forth from time to time. I could be called an Anti-brony also at times but hey, I have had the same problems.

Your not alone.

Edited by The Canvas

I completely agree with everything you have to say here, Echo. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the show, but I will never identify as a Brony. The term itself is somewhat problematic. It arose to single out men who enjoyed the show. I wouldn't feel this way if the term existed for previous generations...but it's only come about when the show attracted a larger male fanbase than it had in the past. It might be more neutral now, but the misogyny/sexism in fandom is still pretty much the same as it's always been. I think Neil Cicierega summarized my thoughts quite well in his response to some sort of drama on one of his videos:

Neil Cicierega: So what is the deal with Princess Molestia? Did the bronies take a show designed for little girls and turn it into another awful internet rape culture thing?

[Poster]: No, they didn't, but I admire your ability to make assumptions.

Did you know that a community as large as the brony fanbase has multiple subsections? Why, I dare say it's as though multiple people enjoy the show.

Neil Cicierega: Yeah, I know it's the stuff of the internet. I just think it's particularly cruel of them to import that shit into something meant for young girls... 1 in 6 of whom will grow up to be victims of the thing these bros are lulzing it up over. It really illustrates how thoughtlessly men will reappropriate anything and everything.

Some guy: But not all bronies are like that.

Neil Cicierega: you gotta call each other out on this kind of thing more often. That goes for all groups. Don't let your friends be dipshits!

Neil Cicierega: The show's designed to be a better alternative to the crap little girls are usually fed. So of course, grown men, who already have plenty of media marketed to them, come in and completely overshadow the intended audience, and litter it with the same tired humor and loutishness as every other male-oriented community. Something meant as an antidote to girls' usual gender normative entertainment has been turned into yet another sausage party.

[Poster]: Yes, because the little girls who watch the show are effected by the actions of 4chan. Which is surprising, since even the majority of the adult brony fanbase isn't effected by the actions of 4chan.

Some brony: Most bronies (sadly not all) generally do try to warn you what you might see on their tumblr or something. So they really aren't doing anything to people who don't want to look at what they post. If you were offended by rape you most likely won't click on a link that goes to somewhere called Princess Molestia. I understand why you would find it weird that something Princess Molestia exists. She is, in her entirety, a rape joke.

I apologize for being such a dick.

Neil Cicierega: I didn't mention fetishes. Actually, I was talking about rape jokes. For a show about love and tolerance, you'd think Bronies would do more to speak out against fellow Bronies who engage in brazen rejections of sensitivity.

Funny you should mention the MaxVeers drama, actually...it reminds me of another problem that bugs me when stuff like this comes up. It seemed like most of the anger generated by it wasn't about "hey, some guy forced himself on a minor!". It was "how dare you accuse Bronies of all being like this!". Problems don't go away if you don't talk about them or turn the other way. If you're not like this, yay! But these are serious problems in fandom, and they need to be talked about.

So, rock on for doing so, Echo.

PS - Sorry if I made it sound like this is an exclusively "male" problem; it's not! I've seen fantastic male fans and pretty horrible female fans.

Edited by Castoro Chiaro
  • Brohoof 2

since when has swearing ever made an argument invalid unless it is targeted at a individual person (which mine wasn't ) and why should any thing i say be mute because of it.

also yes i am fully aware that my grammar sucks and i try to edit it if i notice any mistakes, i am a grade C student at best. is their some kind of un-written law that you have to try to be perfect when voicing you opinion and if your not your opinion should not have even been made?

also why should we just ignore them it like say we should ignore bullying because were giving the bullies more attention and rather then stopping them we should let them continue doing what they do.

so my argument can't be listened to but yours can because you pointed out i swear and have bad grammar thus you are 100% in the right, is this rely how this is all going to work around here?

I see what you're saying. As much as I like MLP, sometimes I feel I don't really fit in with its fandom. I have quite a number of unpopular opinions about details about the show itself as well as some aspects of the fandom.

I'll address a few popular subjects here, for example, that aren't exactly addressing your post.

My Little Dashie was my first fan fiction I had read in a year, as well as my first pony story. I think it is better than most fanfics in the pony community (I dislike about 90% of them), but I didn't bawl my eyes out of anything like that. I liked how it showed how love comes in all different shapes and forms. I have spoken to RobCakeran53 before and he is a pretty nice fellow.

I really am getting tired of phrases like "10 seconds flat," "20% cooler" and "love and tolerate." They're really old now. Quoting Rainbow Dash from episodes that aired over a year ago get really stale. It's lame now. "Love and tolerate" is also lame and old.

Derpy's change isn't the end of the world. I was disappointed, but Derpy is really nothing more than a background character/Internet meme. I really wish that scene wasn't in an Applejack episode, seeing her episodes aren't written as well as some others.

Every fandom had its ups-and-downs. I still believe we have some great things like music and animations. Heck, one animation I saw was close to having better animation than in the actual show.

well i'm not rely against phrases or meme's because well there apart or the culture and kinda bring new people into the community, i'm just against the Bronies who act high and mighty and slam down people because they might not know as much as them, it not something the should be ignored or even be allowed some of the stuff iv'e notice get call internet behavior when rely it borderline mean (however i wouldn't quite call it bullying even tho i feel that it is)

I got to say sir, that your arguments became invalid the moment you started spewing curse words left and right. I am not trying to be rude here, but at least have the decency to keep the language in here safe for work. The arguments you have brought up so far have done little to prove your point. Although you do a good job of stating your opinion (which I fully respect) you do little to actually provide reasons or points for your opinions. This thread is just turning into nothing more then another flame wars thread. I am kinda awestruck by the whole thread. Another thing, who taught you basic grammar? I have dyslexia so I have a difficult time reading even well worded statements, but I have one hell of a time trying to discern your posts.

Anyway, let me get to my main points. Just because someone says there are requirements for being a brony, does not make it true. And anyone who is abusing the power of being a brony for some sort of gain should just be ignored. One more important thing, if you are letting other peoples opinions affect you, you are giving into their power. That is how trolling works, one should not care about what other jerks say because it only feeds the jerks and gives them some form of satisfaction. The simple fact that you let it bother you just means that the haters win. Well anyways, my opinions are my opinons and your opinions are your opinions. To each his own right? Believe what you feel is right.

Ok, so apparently, swearing makes his argument invalid...

He wasnt confronting the trolls on the community. He made this tread to address the problems the community has faced lately. Personally, as a brony for one a half years, id like to point out that the brony community has gotten to younger viwers (and im saying people who are ages 10-13) And some of those certain members, *not saying all* are taking this community to the extreme. They're changing ponies to just what they watch but to WHO THEY ARE. It gets kind of annoying actually when somebody says they're against bronies and then all they get is pure hate, completely disregarding the "love and tollerance" rule.

Which brings me to my next point, what happened to love and tollerance anyways? Is it obsolete now? enough said...

I feel this is the truth for many in the fanebase. I am still a bit fan of the show, but the brony community has changed a lot. There are many bronies who give the fanebase a bad name (AKA ponyfags) who go around and shove ponies in everyone's face, I am also not a big fan of Fanfics, or most fan art, I don't get into Clopping, I don't get into half the music, Odd enough I started making music because of ponies, but I don't get into most of the remixes, or even most of the parodies anymore, I felt like I was losing the love I had for the show, but it just turns out the fandom is what I'm loosing love for, Don't get me wrong, I still hold a lot of things I learned from the show to heart, but Things have just changed a bit.

I agree that this fandom has a lot of idiots. But I think you worry to much about Derpy. I have my reasons for not liking some bronies in the fandom. They really don't love and tolerate, They say Derpy is not retarded but if you look at the way they portray her it is kind of mean and I really hate the rude jokes of Princess Celestia. But just keep in mind that not all fandoms are perfect, There is a lot of idiots out in this world. And they think their self's as true bronies.

Us bronies are just like any other group that has a wide diversity of people, we include people who can be mean, arrogant, hurtful, and have many other character flaws. We aren't perfect people just like everyone else, that's a given, and some of us do act like jerks at times. Whenever you get a large group of people who are brought together by one unifying factor, you will inevitable find various members who don't act very tolerantly. Unfortunately, this still occurs within the Brony community even though our saying is Love and Tolerate. I try to be nice, but I admit that there are times when I've been a jerk; everyone has their moments. There are others who are consistently inconsiderate, but that's the case with any group.

Still, look at the good bronies do as well (that includes fans who don't identify; whom I won't put the label of "brony" on)! The MLP community has donated money to cancer for children, creates CDs for charities, and (in general) tries to be encouraging and accepting of all other people. I think we are a fantastic group of upstanding people, even with our flaws, and we shouldn't be ashamed of ourselves! :lol:

Edited by TheEngineer

I agree with you, I despise the "true brony" concept, it showcases one's categorising of others according to his opinon (should I say, the enforcment of ones opinion), in my opinon: A true brony is an individual that likes himself and admires his beliefs and crosses out the hatred towards him, not a guy that follows blindly after others and thinks that cupcakes is the next big thing (Just an example), I can't believe that the older bronies are treating the new ones like crap, I've been one for almost a year and I think that the new ones should be welcomed with open arms and not with the tip of a sword, princess molestia is indeed good for a couple of laughs, however, overhyping such a fad will destroy it, be it the old fossil that it is, (I do say that it's not my favourate fad among the other pony fads) it won't be long before the brony fandom will destroy itself up and will probably become like many other fandoms, as you said. Thank you sir for your words, as I think they come to represent a different way of thinking, I wish you the best. Have a nice day.

I agree that this fandom has a lot of idiots. But I think you worry to much about Derpy. I have my reasons for not liking some bronies in the fandom. They really don't love and tolerate, They say Derpy is not retarded but if you look at the way they portray her it is kind of mean and I really hate the rude jokes of Princess Celestia. But just keep in mind that not all fandoms are perfect, There is a lot of idiots out in this world. And they think their self's as true bronies.

I always saw Celestia and Molestia as different all together or as the goodie-goodie counterpart to the Molestia/Trollestia

its all taken in good humour, at least here

I mean elsewhere with...dare I say more freedom to say and post things of a sexual content I go full Molestia, but that's also in good fun.