Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Underground Music

Swoop

There's plenty of us out there who are always looking to expand our musical horizons, and assimilate new generes and artists into our ever growing euphonic music collections. Unfortunately for us, music isn't always given the opportunity to speak for itself, and as a result, some really fantastic music styles are buried beneath genres that have managed to weave themselves into the established music industry. As luck would have it, there happens to be a handfull of underground music sources scattered all across the interwebs. The problem is, finding these sites can be a bit of a bother, as they tend to be as underground as the music they host and promote.

Which leads me to the purpose of this thread - Know of any quality lesser known/innovative artists, genres or sources that would be worth a listen? Post and share them all here! I'll update this post over time to keep a little directory of sources.

For starters, I'd recommend:

• Post-Rock Tuesdays - every week, a new interesting artist of unknown acts is featured, who nevertheless makes impressive music and deserves to receive more attention.
  • Liquicity - While not underground by any means, Liquidity is a great source of liquid DnB when you're done sifting through UKF's daily music dump.
  • Thesixtyone - Indie music fan? Check out a whole bunch of small time artists here, with a minimal UI to boot.
  • PonyFM - Go sign up. Now.
  • Brohoof 5

I know trailer music is slowly growing in popularity. Since most of this music isn't available for the public, it can be hard to come by the composers behind the compositions, and thus they don't get as much recognition as they perhaps should have. Among the composers in this genre I'd warmly recommend to check out Thomas J. Bergersen's work. This guy seriously knows what he's doing.

Quite a few hippity-hop artists come to mind, and all of them happen to be under the same local record label. There's Atmosphere, Brother Ali, P.O.S, MF Doom, Blueprint, and a few others I can't remember right now. I'd also recommend checking out some of Kevin MacLeod's work, which is mostly techno and classical.

One place I always go to, TheSirensSound, always has a plethora of unheard and very extraordinary music with even more extraordinary musicians. You can find some rather mind-blowing content there, any genre you fancy.

It's definitely worth checking out.

(edited)

I know some pretty weird bands. Like... have you ever heard of FACT? They're a japanese punk band who sing pretty much all of their lyrics in english. But here's the catch: it sounds amazing. Listen to this:

Edited by letterONE

(edited)

i might have a few to contribute

Backlash is the prior one coming to mind, a Swedish synthpop/electronica group. i found one of their CDs in a second hand store, Impetus, and was blown away at its innovative synth-textures and beats. it was a surprise that i could find out very little about the group on the net aside from their Myspace page and their discography on Discogs. they seem to have had a history of different vocalists in their different albums: the one i found had a female one, the other one i found out about on their next album prior Impetus, Heliotrope, had a male one.

okay, before i get carried away by talking about Backlash, have a favorite song of mine by theirs:

if you ever see any albums of Backlash out in the wild, like Impetus or Heliotrope, BUY IT. they're rare as shit and i am lucky i was able to get one of those masterpieces in a store.

next, dtrx creations.

now, i know a fuckton of obscure, and awesome, independent artists on the internet, but dtrx, or Petriform, his main alias he identifies him with, is one of the few that stand out in my mind. he operates under a number of different aliases, and, i don't believe i've heard that many electronic musicians whose songs constantly blow me away by their melodical structure in every song i've heard of. Petriform does that. even if his amount of work is at a very slow pace, when he does release new stuff it's always of top-notch melodical production and with a unique sound. if there's any independent artist that deserves any attention at all, it's him. not to mention his track titles and album names are always unique sounding and never boring to say.

oh yeah, song:

Edited by Viscra Maelstrom
  • Brohoof 1

OH! OH! I got another! They're not that amazing, but they're definitely underground and quite obscure. They're called La Dispute, and they do a mix of alternative rock and spoken word. It's really really weird.

Some of their songs have bits of screaming in them too. Again, weird.

And I have one more, then I'm done. There's this melodic progressive metal band called I Am Abomination. They did a concept album about being abducted by aliens. It's really good.

WEFUNK is a good source for awesome funk/soul/hip-hop streams. Rhymesayers has some good artists, Bridge 9 can put out a few good hardcore bands.

Best unknown rapper - Madd Maxxx.

Best unknown band - Sick Puppies.

Sick Puppies aren't really unknown anymore, they've been on tour with quite a few mainstream bands.

Well, I love the Cruxshadows. I have followed their career for years now. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective, they will remain ever obscure here in the US (they have appeared in MTV Europe). They are from Florida and some of the nicest people you will ever meet. I thought long and hard which song to show you but I think I will show you the song that started it all for me - Deception. They still play this song at their concerts even though it is ancient just because it is that loved. I am sure Rogue (the lead singer and the one member that never changes) is prouder of his newer stuff but old songs just stick with you, you know? Anyway, here's the song that got me hooked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGjK6hKahU8&feature=related

Speaking of going back to the beginning, the song Deception I showed you I first heard on a CD Music from the Succubus Club. I tried that CD out because I was playing Vampire the Masquerade video game. Not only did it introduce me to the Cruxshadows but my other favorite band Bella Morte. They are from Virginia and again, the nicest people you will ever meet. Their songs continue to blow my mind but the first song I ever heard was Fall No More. Here they are performing it live years after its release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFsGiCSKgU&feature=related

Sick Puppies aren't really unknown anymore, they've been on tour with quite a few mainstream bands.

It's hard for me to find people who have heard of them. The only people who I know that have heard of them are people I've told and the person who told me.

• 1 year later...

A lot of the music I listen to is underground or indie. And I'm actually sorta glad that it is. I love exploring and discovering new music for myself. It's way better than having the radio shove it in your face. XD