Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What game are you playing right now?

Mint Petal

Bought and started Sekiro Shadows Die Twice tonight. 5 hours in, the game is already losing my interest. The design in this game is fucking awful compared to something like Dark Souls 1. Every boss or miniboss has other enemies littered all over the place making fighting them a goddamn chore and not fair in the slightest and thanks to the lack of any real RPG mechanics and *no additional weapons beyond the sword*, there is basically no real variety. This also means that money and 'xp' that you get doesn't mean much, which means killing enemies, while satisfying, is hardly rewarding. Dark Souls felt like it had enemies placed in the world with purpose, like actual thought went into it. That is clearly not the case here. I just fought the drunkard boss and it was so ungodly tedious. Each time I had to make sure to kill all other enemies in his area, of which there were at least 7-10, and THEN I could actually fight the boss with my drained resources, giving me barely any actual chance to learn how he works.Even then, the hit boxes do not always feel accurate and dodging hardly feels worth it. So you basically are required to keep using the parry, which is unbelievably hard to use with success on the bosses. I beat him and what do I get? A slight upgrade to my health. Wow. I feel so accomplished. Actually, no, I just feel FUCKING BORED OUT OF MY MIND.  This is From Software, the guys that have made so many bosses that I would consider favorites of mine in all of gaming with the Dark Souls series. Sekiro? So far not a single boss stands out to me, nor were their fights fun and beating them makes me feel no different than I did before, irritated. 

I cannot believe this game has a 90 on Metacritic right now. At this point I see absolutely no reason to give it anything more than a 6/10. I know people will say "but they wanted to make it different from Dark Souls." even thought this game uses tons of mechanics from that very series. Oh sure, it *is* different to an extent, but the main reason for that is because they took almost everything great about Dark Souls and set it on fire. Consider me disappointed.

Edited by Kyoshi

7 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Bought and started Sekiro Shadows Die Twice tonight. 5 hours in, the game is already losing my interest. The design in this game is fucking awful compared to something like Dark Souls 1. Every boss or miniboss has other enemies littered all over the place making fighting them a goddamn chore and not fair in the slightest and thanks to the lack of any real RPG mechanics and *no additional weapons beyond the sword*, there is basically no real variety. This also means that money and 'xp' that you get doesn't mean much, which means killing enemies, while satisfying, is hardly rewarding. Dark Souls felt like it had enemies placed in the world with purpose, like actual thought went into it. That is clearly not the case here. I just fought the drunkard boss and it was so ungodly tedious. Each time I had to make sure to kill all other enemies in his area, of which there were at least 7-10, and THEN I could actually fight the boss with my drained resources, giving me barely any actual chance to learn how he works.Even then, the hit boxes do not always feel accurate and dodging hardly feels worth it. So you basically are required to keep using the parry, which is unbelievably hard to use with success on the bosses. I beat him and what do I get? A slight upgrade to my health. Wow. I feel so accomplished. Actually, no, I just feel FUCKING BORED OUT OF MY MIND.  This is From Software, the guys that have made so many bosses that I would consider favorites of mine in all of gaming with the Dark Souls series. Sekiro? So far not a single boss stands out to me, nor were their fights fun and beating them makes me feel no different than I did before, irritated. 

I cannot believe this game has a 90 on Metacritic right now. At this point I see absolutely no reason to give it anything more than a 6/10. I know people will say "but they wanted to make it different from Dark Souls." even thought this game uses tons of mechanics from that very series. Oh sure, it *is* different to an extent, but the main reason for that is because they took almost everything great about Dark Souls and set it on fire. Consider me disappointed.

Oh, no, some people have different opinions from you, awful. No one else is allowed to say it's amazing is what you're implying. You're meant to tackle fights with stealth, not go in and try in take all enemies on your own. Also, most of the mechanics are not Souls. You have stealth, posture, death blows, deflection, jumping. It's also much more of a focused experience. You are looking at the game in the wrong ways. And it just feels like you're being all contrarian which you seem to do a lot with popular things that you find to be not as good. It's your fault for going and expecting Souls. 

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Celli said:

Oh, no, some people have different opinions from you, awful. No one else is allowed to say it's amazing is what you're implying. You're meant to tackle fights with stealth, not go in and try in take all enemies on your own. Also, most of the mechanics are not Souls. You have stealth, posture, death blows, deflection, jumping. It's also much more of a focused experience. You are looking at the game in the wrong ways. And it just feels like you're being all contrarian which you seem to do a lot with popular things that you find to be not as good. It's your fault for going and expecting Souls. 

I never said that. What, am I not allowed to disagree with the 90 on Metacritic? Oh no, I disagree with the popular opinion, therefore my opinion is horrible. 

I know how this game works. I know it is different from Souls on a pure mechanical level. The overall design though pales in comparison to a souls game. The drunkard fight, there is no way to be truly stealthy at that part. You can take down a few guys before he notices and the fight starts. In a massive arena where stealth is no longer an option. So you have to fight all sorts of minions all while he is after you. I'm sorry, but I do not see that as fun or a fair challenge. I beat him and my reward is? Not much. It doesn't feel anywhere near as satisfying like in a souls game. 

Excuse me for expecting great design from a company I hold in high regard and having my own opinion on something.  If other people are loving the game, that is FINE, doesn't bother me a bit. Me personally though, I was certain that From Software was capable of better things. I was actually really getting into the game at first, but already the unsatisfactory game design is making me bored. Which I guess makes me Satan, according to you.

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Excuse me for expecting great design from a company I hold in high regard and having my own opinion on something.  If other people are loving the game, that is FINE, doesn't bother me a bit. Me personally though, I was certain that From Software was capable of better things. I was actually really getting into the game at first, but already the unsatisfactory game design is making me bored. Which I guess makes me Satan, according to you.

You expected the same goddamned experience from them. That is the issue. 

3 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I never said that. What, am I not allowed to disagree with the 90 on Metacritic? Oh no, I disagree with the popular opinion, therefore my opinion is horrible.

12 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I cannot believe this game has a 90 on Metacritic right now. At this point I see absolutely no reason to give it anything more than a 6/10.

You're being contrarian for the sake of it because you expected a certain experience from the game, and you're disgruntled about it. 

34 minutes ago, Celli said:

You expected the same goddamned experience from them. That is the issue. 

I expected good design. I expected the game to not have conflictions in its own execution. I accepted very early on what this game is and like I said, I was into it at first. It just doesn't feel like FromSoft put as much heart into this one as their past games. It doesn't matter if it is like Souls or not, there are aspects of this game that, to me, don't flow together like they should. That is entirely on its own merits.

37 minutes ago, Celli said:

You're being contrarian for the sake of it because you expected a certain experience from the game, and you're disgruntled about it.

I don't agree with the 90 on Metacritic at all. Is that me saying they are wrong? No it isn't. What's next, am I gonna accuse the reviewers of making the claim that I am wrong because they have a different opinion? No, because hey, differing opinion. Just because I don't hold the same opinion as the majority doesn't mean you can sit here and throw my opinion out the window under the notion of "You're just disgruntled." Frankly, I don't understand why you care so much. I am just some dude on the internet, a nobody. I'm not reviewer or Youtuber that people listen to. So it isn't like my opinion is going to dictate anything. My opinion means nothing, so me expressing it really shouldn't bother you as much as it clearly is.

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I expected good design. I expected the game to not have conflictions in its own execution. I accepted very early on what this game is and like I said, I was into it at first. It just doesn't feel like FromSoft put as much heart into this one as their past games. It doesn't matter if it is like Souls or not, there are aspects of this game that, to me, don't flow together like they should. That is entirely on its own merits.

47 minutes ago, Celli said:

You're looking at it wrong, it feels more like you're "I'm not very good at the game" and blaming the game for your own faults. 

Just now, Celli said:

You're looking at it wrong, it feels more like you're "I'm not very good at the game" and blaming the game for your own faults. 

If that is the bullshit way you want to look at it, then have at it. I can't stop you. You seem to have some weird obsession with me in regards to this so there is no point trying to convince you of anything else. Anything to throw my criticisms out the window, you will say. So I am bored of this meaningless conversation, this worthless back and forth that doesn't do anything. I don't like something as much as you do, that's all there is to it.

Darksiders 3. As a huge fan of the Darksiders series... this game hurts me in so many ways. It nowhere near as good as the first game, let alone the second game, and I keep finding things to rant about the more I play. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the main game of Pokémon Black, and I'm amazed by how they wrapped it up. The whole story arc of the game gets a Shyamalan twist that makes the game really wow me from a story perspective, especially for a POKÉMON GAME. :D

Generation 5 has now moved past Generation 3 for my second favorite after all of that. :twismile:

I've officially given up on Sekiro. I am fucking sick of it. The game is shit, the combat is shit, the story is worthless and the boss battles are so ungodly tedious and unfair. So I have uninstalled it and I will never play it again and it might be the last From Software game that I will ever buy. Fuck it. I don't even know why I am still into game at this point. It is all worthless shit. Just like me.

As for other games I am playing; Who cares. I am not some shitty Youtube personality or someone else that's famous so what I do doesn't matter. 

Busy playing Fallout Shelter this days. I still yet to find  an elusive Gauss Riffle schematic, and I want to finish my Institute vault decorations. 

Final Fantasy VII, for the first time ever! So far I'm not too bothered by how "dated" it is. However, I find the overworld to be a bit daunting.

1 hour ago, Bas said:

So, @Envy, which enemy fraction do you hate most so far? It cannot be NOT Sephiroth, can it?

I'm sorry, but I don't know what exactly you are asking here?

There is one certain thing that Sephiroth does that I was spoiled of long ago, so yeah, I don't like him.

9 hours ago, Bas said:

Just that one thing? :catface:

Most of my exposure to FFVII has been through the presence of the characters in the Kingdom Hearts series, where they are characterized pretty differently (if that isn't actually the case, don't spoil it for me, I want to see for myself). The Sephiroth 'spoiler' I ran into somewhere separately quite sometime ago. I know pretty much nothing else. I have no clue what leads up to it. And that will be something fun for me to puzzle together as the series progresses. Although it's already been made clear at the point I've gotten to that Sephiroth is a bad guy.

(edited)

Finally started playing Pokemon Moon. I think it's interesting so far, but I'll have to play more before I can have much of an opinion.

Edited by Cash_In

On 4/5/2019 at 6:32 PM, Kyoshi said:

So I have uninstalled it and I will never play it again and it might be the last From Software game that I will ever buy

Even if they make a new Soulslike with the same level of progression and charm and reward and character customization?