• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

Tell everyone about your computer (or computers, if you use more than one)! What model is it and what OS does it run?

Myself, I work from two laptops: an HP Pavilion dv6-3170ca for school, and an HP EliteBook 8740w for home (mostly) - both run Windows 7 x64.

Here's the smaller one:
HP Pavilion dv6.jpg
Specs:

• Intel i5 2.2 GHz Dual Core w/ Hyper-Threading (up to 2.8 GHz w/ TurboBoost)
  • integrated graphics
  • 4 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
  • 15" glossy screen (1366x768x24)
  • fingerprint reader
  • Blu-ray drive (read-only)

And the larger:
HP EliteBook 8740w.jpg
Specs:

• Intel i7 1.7 GHz Quad Core w/ Hyper-Threading (up to 3.06 GHz w/ TurboBoost)
  • NVIDIA Quadro 5000M GPU w/ 2 GB GDDR5 VRAM
  • 8 GB DDR3 RAM (high speed - 1333 MHz!)
  • 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
  • 17" 1.07 billion-colour matte screen (1920x1200x30)
  • fingerprint reader
  • backlit, spillproof keyboard

Both are beautiful computers and serve me really well. I use the dv6 for school because it wasn't a very expensive computer and has great battery life, and the EliteBook is my awesome gaming/do-it-all machine.

• Brohoof 5

My Computer is running windows 7 (dual boot with windows 8 developer preview), its custom built, I can't remember the specs off the top of my head, but its a core i5 quad core 3.10GHz (I think I overclocked it a little, but I can't remember if I did.) and 8 GB of ram (which is mostly useless because my Windows 7 is 32 bit) my hard drive is 1TB and my graphics card is sorta meh, I can't remember its name but its video ram is 1GB. I have a slow laptop (integrated grapics + dual core1.66GHz )I don't use it anymore unless its 4 AM to watch a new episode of my little pony B)

Hah, oh god my old laptop.... :blink:

An IMB think-pad, currently its 19 years old.

Posted Image

Since then I've bought a Macbook Pro which I run Parallels Desktop on, so I can use a Mac OS while running windows programs as needed.

Bit of an upgrade from the IBM To say the least. :P

• Brohoof 1

My laptop runs Vista Home Premium which isn't bad after I spent a week customising it to look like XP and stop asking me stupid questions all the time. Its only problem is that a few of the keys don't work because I, er, spilt beer all over it and had to map them to the function keys instead! Confuses the life out of anyone who borrows it :)

I have several computers in use. My main desktop is an i7, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, Nvidia GTX260 video card. It's probably time to upgrade the video card, which I'll do after my house move. I'll probably buy a GTX580. This one runs Windows 7. I'd be running Linux on it except I like my games and WINE is just not quite good enough yet.

My file/streaming/proxy server is an old Pentium 4, 4Gb RAM, 4Tb HDD. I really must look at upgrading it, that CPU is a real bottleneck. This runs Debian Linux.

My netbook is a EEE1000HE, Atom N280 CPU, 4Gb RAM, 260Gb HDD. OS on this one is Ubuntu Linux. It doesn't get a lot of use any more since I bought an Android phone. Just about everything I did use my netbook for I can do more conveniently on my phone.

• Brohoof 2

I have an old hand-me-down desktop my cousin gave me for Christmas several years ago. It is a Windows XP, and it is pretty slow. I would like to get a laptop eventually, but I can't afford it right now.

I use two computers.

One for gaming one for old school stuff.

Gaming rigg:

OS: Windows 7 and some sort of ubuntu distro. (I change these alot)

Inctel Core i7 960 @ 3,5 Ghz (Runs stable there. It's original clock was 3,2)

12 Gb of 1600mhz RAM.

1 300 Gb WD Velociraptor 10000rpm . (I got it cheap)

1 1Tb WD HDD 5900 rpm

1 2TB Seagate HDD 5900 rpm

1 HIS HD5870 Icooler V

DVD RW.

No extra soundcard.

And at the moment i'm running two screens.

Main screen: Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920x1200

Secondary: BenQ G2420HD 24" 1920*1080

Secondary:

This one is a old Compaq from about 1999

Intel pentium 3. at aboutish 2Ghz.

1,5 Gb of RAM.

3 HDDs at a total of 120 Gb

GeForce3 Ti 200

1 Cd rom.

1 DVD RW.

EDIT:

Oops... Forgot my school laptop.

Hp Probook 13"

Intel core i3 @ 2,4Ghz

4Gb Ram

Intel HD 3000 Graphics

320Gb HDD

Screen: 1366*768

(This computer i pay for through my school. So no OC or dualbooting here)

And that's it.

Edited by Slictz
  • Brohoof 1

I have 2 computers that I use. There's Hyperion, my gaming rig (that I built myself), and a decent laptop.

Hyperion:

post-98-0-85281000-1319124392_thumb.jpg

(Had to take a picture of it myself, seeing as how it's custom built by me)

AMD Phenom 64x 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor

NVIDIA GTS450 Video Card

4 GB DDR3 RAM

1 TB 7200 RPM HDD

23 Inch Widescreen Monitor, 1920x1080

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 1526

post-98-0-24463400-1319124082_thumb.jpg

AMD Athlon 1.9 GHz Dual Core Processor

ATI Radeon X1200 Video Card

2 GB (not sure of refresh rate) RAM

160 GB HDD

16.5 inch 1280x800 resolution

Edited by Sky Charmer
  • Brohoof 1

Macbook pro 09

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8gb ram

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

15 in screen

Lenovo x201tablet

Intel Core i7 i7-640LM / 2.13 GHz

4gb ram

touchscreen

windows 7 pro

more specs

Lenovo D20 workstation

Intel Xeon E5540 / 2.53 GHz quadcore

radeon 6870

nvidiva quadro 1800

8gb ram

RAID storage of 2 TB

more specs

I have a mac pro but I gave it to my father. Had no use for a 7 grand machine.

Also have a gaming rig that I never use since my D20 is more powerful than it now. sitting in my basement probably with animals living in it. Kinda sad, could run Crysis on max back in the day.

post-15-0-71671700-1319126106_thumb.jpg

words

Grats on having the same keyboard as me. I seriously LOVE the wave.

Edited by Gummy
  • Brohoof 1

My laptop runs Vista Home Premium which isn't bad after I spent a week customising it to look like XP and stop asking me stupid questions all the time. Its only problem is that a few of the keys don't work because I, er, spilt beer all over it and had to map them to the function keys instead! Confuses the life out of anyone who borrows it :)

IBM FTW! You rock! Woohoo~!

I am currently using a quadruple-boot hackintosh MiniMac HP Mini 210 netbook, I call her the HolyBible. Recently the power switch derped and now I am unable to switch the lappy on should I shut it down or it run out of battery. Can't fix the switch either. It's a hardware problem, and it's not the first time it's happened.

I boot into Windows 8 Developer Preview for now as it is, surprisingly, the most stable OS on my computer. OSX Snow Leopard doesn't run very well and the ethernet doesn't work (Cable and WLAN), Ubuntu 11.04 got messed up when I screwed the Synaptic Package Manager and Windows 7 was lost to a trojan infection.

When this bugger dies, I switch over to my old IBM X41 that runs TinyXP rev04, which I call WerkStationOne. It's laggy and I haven't used it in ages. It's quite immobile as the battery, on a full charge, lasts 5 minutes.

But now I use the University computers more, and I'm ponifying them one by one!

• Brohoof 2

My main computer is a Mac Mini I bought back in 2006. It's completely outdated now but I can't afford a new computer yet.

Specs:

• CPU: 1.66 GHz Core Duo (Yonah)
  • RAM: 512 MB DDR SDRAM
  • GPU: Intel GMA950
  • VRAM: 64 MB DDR2 SDRAM
  • hard drive: 2.5" 60 GB 5400 rpm Serial ATA
  • OS X v10.4 (Tiger)
Upgraded the RAM to 2 GB and the OS to 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard). The hard drive is too small to hold much of anything so I keep everything on external USB drives.

Posted Image

I also have a Toshiba Satellite L305

Posted Image

Specs:

• Intel® Celeron® Processor 585
  • 2GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
  • 160GB HDD (5400rpm)
Came with Vista Basic which I upgraded to 7. I only use it when I'm traveling or when I need to use Windows. (which is rarely) Edited by Apple Bloom

I run this thing here.

Posted Image

16 inch screen, 500 GB HD with 4GB of RAM. Windows 7 is my OS.

Edit: Derp, didn't say what it is. A Gateway NV53.

Edited by hardcore_crispy

Mine is a humble graphics rig with 16 gigs of DDR3 ram (1600mhz) and 2 gigs of video RAM in the form of a PNY VCQ4000-PB NVIDIA Quadro 4000 Video card which is not supported by too many games so I had to buy another rig for gaming, which mostly collects dust until Skyrim comes out.

As monitor I use LG W3000H-BN, the 30 inch version, not great for gaming but fantastic for graphics and renders. Processor was Intel something I can't really be arsed to type out that jumble of letters...

This Rig runs Windows 7 64 bit and has blu-ray station that hasn't seen a blu-ray in it. It is custom built into Antec P192 case with so many fans in it that I'm surprised it doesn't hover.

I don't really do much gaming, haven't played Deus Ex or pretty much anything else since Fallout 3. Skyrim is another game I am going to make an exception on.

Team fortress 2 once in a blue moon on the game rig which stats I don't remember because it was some 800 euro ready built box I just got because none of my games seemed to know what to do with my graphics card (too many glitches)

Edited by Pencils

My laptop:

Dell XPS 15

• 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2430M processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.00 GHz
  • Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
  • 15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768) with Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam
  • 6GB8 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
  • 500GB9 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus

It's pretty good for a laptop I think. Especially for the price I got it at. I don't do so much gaming on it except for Minecraft an the likes. I did manage to run GTA IV on it fairly smoothly on high graphics. (and GTA IV is usually a bitch to make it run properly on pc, so I was pretty impressed)

My current desktop is a Dell from a couple of years ago.

post-151-0-60188700-1319153636_thumb.jpg

Windows 7

AMD Athlon™ II X3 400e Processor 2.20 GHz

6GB RAM

600GB Hard Drive

It's a really nice computer. I don't know much about specs, though. I just knew that 6GB RAM blew the 756 MB of RAM I had in my old desktop, and the HD is much bigger. So is the screen. lol

My laptop is a Toshiba that looks something like this.

Posted Image

I don't know the specs, and I can't find them easily on the internet since it was a special model that was only sold at Best Buy on last year's Black Friday.

The URL (which includes some specs information lol) to it is still in my browser's memory. It doesn't work anymore, but I believe it is mine, it sounds right:

Windows 7

Intel Pentium Processor

15'6" Display

3GB RAM

320GB Hard Drive

It was on sell for under $200, so it was a really good deal, and it's worked worlds better than my $800 (in value) HP laptop that I got for graduation that broke on my first day of college.