• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

Copy/paste from my old Newegg invoice:

1 G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

1 LIAN LI PC-A70B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

1 EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...

1 EVGA 01G-P3-1285-AR GeForce GTX 285 SC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

... probably spent too much money on it, but I honestly didn't want to be bothered with having to upgrade. Going on three years now, and it's still performing admirably.

• Brohoof 1

I run this thing here.

Posted Image

16 inch screen, 500 GB HD with 4GB of RAM. Windows 7 is my OS.

Edit: Derp, didn't say what it is. A Gateway NV53.

That just happens to be the exact same computer I use.

Meaning, you just wrote my post for me. Thanks.

Edited by Pony Joe

My pc build

Specs:

-AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.80GHz Coolit ECO Water cooler

-patriot 8GB 2000mhz DDR3

-Two Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1GB DDR5 OC Crossfire.

-Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Drive 1TB, 7200RPM

-Diablotek RPM series 950watt psu

-NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel case

-25inch monitor (1920x1280) 2 millisecond response time.

-Microsoft Sidewinder x5 Gaming Mouse

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

• Brohoof 1

im the first to vote Linux :)

My Dell XPS 410 Desktop is Running Ubuntu 11.10, and so is My System 76 Starling Netbook

they both run pretty good, my desktop graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800GT, both systems

get the job done, my desktop used to have vista when I first had it but it was so freaking slow and

eventually I discovered Linux and a year later i installed it (wireless card didn't work on Linux at the time so I had to get a Ethernet line running to my room so i could use the Internet with it), oh and my desktop uses two monitors.

I would like something more powerful but honestly i am in no rush since they work fine :)

Specs:

-Dell XPS 410

• 4 GB RAM DDR2
  • Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
  • GeForce 880GT/PCI/SSE2
  • 64-bit OS
  • 1 TB Hard Drive
Posted Image

-System 76 Starling Netbook

• 2 GB RAM
  • Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz with Hyper Threading
  • Standard Intel Graphics
  • 32-Bit OS
  • 160 GB Hard Drive
  • 3-4/.5 Hour Battery Life
Posted Image

the netbook costed $249.99 when i got it, back in 2010 (march)

I have a Windows Xp.

It is a slow piece of crap :C

You should try Linux sometime ;), it can make old hardware run great,

you could have it running alongside Windows XP (dual boot) so you can access windows

only programs, games, and stuff like that. just a recommendation. if you want

any more info don't be afraid to ask.

Edited by superponylinux

im the first to vote Linux :)

My Dell XPS 410 Desktop is Running Ubuntu 11.10, and so is My System 76 Starling Netbook

they both run pretty good, my desktop graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800GT, both systems

get the job done, my desktop used to have vista when I first had it but it was so freaking slow and

eventually I discovered Linux and a year later i installed it (wireless card didn't work on Linux at the time so I had to get a Ethernet line running to my room so i could use the Internet with it), oh and my desktop uses two monitors.

I would like something more powerful but honestly i am in no rush since they work fine :)

Specs:

-Dell XPS 410

• 4 GB RAM DDR2
  • Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
  • GeForce 880GT/PCI/SSE2
  • 64-bit OS
  • 1 TB Hard Drive
Posted Image

-System 76 Starling Netbook

• 2 GB RAM
  • Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz with Hyper Threading
  • Standard Intel Graphics
  • 32-Bit OS
  • 160 GB Hard Drive
  • 3-4/.5 Hour Battery Life
Posted Image

the netbook costed $249.99 when i got it, back in 2010 (march)

You should try Linux sometime ;), it can make old hardware run great,

you could have it running alongside Windows XP (dual boot) so you can access windows

only programs, games, and stuff like that. just a recommendation. if you want

any more info don't be afraid to ask.

I would, if I had money.

Yeah, but I doubt my computer run with it. This computer is SO SLOW.

if your computer was made some where around 10-13 years ago it can run a version of linux :)

trust me iv installed it on a old imac G3 (from 1998) and it ran great.

it possible to run it on little as 42 mb of ram.

the fact that your system is running winXP means you can get linux working very fast,

Edited by superponylinux

if your computer was made some where around 10-13 years ago it can run a version of linux :)

trust me iv installed it on a old imac G3 (from 1998) and it ran great.

it possible to run it on little as 42 mb of ram.

the fact that your system is running winXP means you can get linux working very fast,

Well I will try to download it later. Hopefully it helps.

Well I will try to download it later. Hopefully it helps.

if you have any issues just ask me i will help you ;)

ubuntu might work ok http://www.ubuntu.com/ (1GB-2 ram reccomended)

lubuntu if your computer is older (like 256 ram+) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

if your going to actually install it, back up your data!, you can lose your data if your

not careful when installing an operating system.

again i suggest you install it alongside windows (dual boot) so anything that requires windows

you can still use.

-you should probally pm me if you need more info and help, dont wanna flood this topic

Edited by superponylinux

Windows Vista Home Premium

Dell Dimension E521

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+ 1.90 GHz

222 GB HDD

3 GB RAM

It works fine now, but it would constantly freeze due to my hard drive having less than a GB of space and the RAM being only 2 GB.

Where did you ever find a 222gb HDD?

I think it's really 240 GB. I looked at what it said on my computer and it said 222 GB. And since 222 is approximately 7% less than 240, 222 must be the "true" amount it has due to the decimal vs. binary conversions. I didn't really know about it until I looked it up just now.

Let's just say I got this computer for free when my parents bought a new one... It's very slow, but surprisingly runs You tube very well... I plan on getting a new computer for Christmas, but I may get a laptop and wait for a while for a new computer...

Also, while we're on the subject, any recommendations for a good, fast, cheap laptop?(I'm not spending $900 on anything anytime soon...) or should I just get a cheap, pre-owned one?

CPU: Intel Dual Core E8400 3.00GHz

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (Old video card is old)

Four gigs of ram

1TB HDD.

Nothing special really, but it is able to play some of the newer games :)

As of now, I have a fairly decent rig. 2 gigs of RAM, AMD Athlon 3500+ CPU, 768MB GeForce 8800 GTX video card. Only thing is that the HDD is a 156GB Seagate, and that memory is about to run out now.

I really need a bigger harddrive to store my music on, which is growing everyday. I'm on about 18 gigs now, and it's going up and down now with memory.

Another thing about the computer is that it's right now the most powerful comp in the house, which makes my brother want to play resource-intensive games here, which I do NOT want at all. If anything, he needs a better rig to play games like GTA IV and Dragon Age: Origins on.

This one can't run those games well, which means he wants the rig to the updated, which means he can play those games on that rig, which I do NOT want; I'm not willing to give this rig up, since it's technically mine.

I say "technically" since it's positioned in my room, and I use it mostly for my stuff, but we really did buy this rig because the old one had gone bust and needed a replacement. So he often comments about how this rig is not mine and how it should get updated and blablabla.

Another problem is that, even if I get a new HDD for this thing, I still need something to transfer the entirety of my folder on this comp to the other HDD, which means that a external drive is needed for transferring stuff, and BLUH money issues and whatnot.

Okay, enough rambling by me here. It hurts my head to think about this kind of stuff.