• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

Another problem is that, even if I get a new HDD for this thing, I still need something to transfer the entirety of my folder on this comp to the other HDD, which means that a external drive is needed for transferring stuff, and BLUH money issues and whatnot.

Don't have enough room in your case for two hard drives, I guess? :blink:

When I put my current comp together I went out and bought the largest full tower case I could find, solely because I was sick and tired of swapping parts in and out of ridiculously cramped spaces.

The HDD issue is kinda complicated and hurts my head thinking about. This one has 2 drives plugged into it now, actually, the old one being from the old comp. That one's bigger than the primary drive, about 80 gigs larger; BUT, there is issues with it:

It has a history of old stuff like videos, pictures, docs, etc., that encompasses several years. That needs to get backupped to its proper owners, like my mom, dad, and my 2 brothers, so one can wipe it out and use it. I actually think it would be a good idea to wipe it out and install Windows 7 on it, and use it as the primary drive.

But PROBLEMS: it is more or less virus infested. That needs to be dealt with before copying files to whatever. And I don't fully understand what NEEDS to be copied, even! Should that be fixed, though, I could use it.

I, uhh, think that's it? There might be more issues with this, but I think this is the bulk of it all. It's a problem constantly pushed aside because of how inconvenient it is; that, and none of us have experience with fiddling around inside computers before, or installing OS's, so we're kinda anxious about doing something against this.

Ah... should've guessed that there'd be a good reason for it.

It's a problem constantly pushed aside because of how inconvenient it is

I've been building up a respectable collection of those, myself. At some point I'll have to go through and catalog the lot of them.

Replaced my Desktop(gaming,graphic) and my laptop(work) with this, all in one laptop, MSI GT780!

Rainbow keyboard <3

MSI gt780 spec:

• Display - 17.3" FHD,Non-Glare (1920x1080)

• Color - Black Aluminum

• Processor - Intel®Core™ i5-2410M

• RAM - 6 GB DDR3

• HDD - 500GB SATA 7200rpm (1 open slot for SSD)

• ODD - DVD-RW

• GPU - nVidia GeForce GTX560M 1.5GB GDDR5

• WLAN - Intel Crane Peak (802.11 b/g/n)

• Battery type - 9 Cells

• Battery Lifetime - 3.2 hours

• USB - 1x E-sata, 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0

• HDMI - Yes

• OS - W7HP 64 bit

• Chassis - Black Aluminum

• Other features - Sound by Dynaudio incl subwoofer / TDE Technology / DDR3 SO-DIMM x 4 slot Design / THX TruStudio Pro / Cooler Boost Technology / Raid 0 on laptop / LED Performance Illumination Technology / LED Audio Synchronize / LED manager / Cinema Pro Technology / 720p Webcam / Mouse / Lara Croft: GOL

• Brohoof 1

Oh Come on i cant be the only one on this forum who uses Linux XD

I use Ubuntu, some Fedora and Red Hat at times...

Ubuntu is currently humming along on an old HP desktop.

Specs:

Intel core Pentium @ 1 core running 3,4Ghz.

1,5Gb of RAM.

1 1/2 HDDs totaling about 700Gb.

(1 1/2 because the second one is in bad shape and quite frequently crashes or fails to respond. I'll replace it soon. It turned into this since Windows Xp used to be on the drive, but a power surge basicly gave it the last words. Call it a zombie-drive...)

ATI X9000 (I think, not too sure though)

2 DVD R/W

And that's it.

Oh Come on i cant be the only one on this forum who uses Linux XD

I'm thinking of grabbing Linux Mint and dual-booting it on one of my laptops for the heck of it. Still think I'd probably continue doing all my work on Windows, though - I have everything I need on it.

But my server runs CentOS 5.6. Does that count? :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2011 at 6:54 PM, 'Twilight Sparkle' said:

I'm thinking of grabbing Linux Mint and dual-booting it on one of my laptops for the heck of it. Still think I'd probably continue doing all my work on Windows, though - I have everything I need on it.

But my server runs CentOS 5.6. Does that count? :D

Yea that counts, your using it on a server. Just not your main os

------------------

i got a new asus mother board and case with a intel quad core Q6600. 4 GB DDR2 RAM,

it was my uncles motherboard, but he gave it too me since he got a new motherboard with a i7.

same hard drive of course so I didn't have to reinstall my OS or anything. no idea who makes the

case, its some Chinese company lol. it works great my desktop loads quicker now, and things are even

smoother than before.

Edited by SPLinux
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

From the chat

Processor: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz (Turbo boost 3.40Ghz)

Ram: 8GB DDR3

Graphics Card: Ati Radeon HD 5450 1GB (getting a 6770 1GB soon, like tomorrow if I'm lucky, but I was meant to get it for Christmas <_<)

HDD: 1000GB- partitioned with 100GB for 64 bit OS and 900GB for 32 bit.

Motherboard: ASRock H61M - S

I can't remember my PSU's specs off by heart, but its voltage is 240V but I think that wattage is the thing that most people care about anyway, it was ~600 wattage.(it wasn't exactly 600, it was a little more)

Pictures in spoiler tag!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am not sure if it is labelled correctly, especially on the HDD, so somethings might be incorrect.

Edited by Flare

At the moment I've got:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.83Ghz 4Mb Cache

Ram: 2048Mb DDR2 667Mhz

HDD: 320Gb SATA 3GB/s

GPU: nVidia Geforce 7600GS 512Mb

It is horrible but next week im getting this :D

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k

Ram: 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz

GPU: 2x MSI Geforce Gtx 560 ti HAWK 1Gb

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

Mobo: MSI Z68A-GD65 G3

PSU: Antec TruPower Blue 750w

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932

I can't wait!!!

• Brohoof 1

I got this epic mahine back at home, that is old, but has a nice internet connection and epic stats.

anyways, lets just say that My PC's Windows Experience Index is 5,1 AND I got 4 Hard Disk Drives that have a total of a terabyte and a half of space.

I can still remember my old PC, It had 256Mb (or close to 256MB) of ram, 36Gb of Hard Disk space and it cost 2000$... How I love the 90's.

Edited by Freckle

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core Processor @ 2.40 GHz overclocked to 2.9ish

Ram: 4Gb DDR3

HDD: 1.5TB SATA (2x 750GB)

GPU: Ati Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5

Processor: Intel Core 2 Over 9000!!!!!

Ram: 9000Gb+

HDD: 9000+

and I have a nother com with

Processor: Intel Core 20% Cooler

Ram: 20% Pony Gb

HDD: Pony

• Brohoof 1

Posted Image

Really good computer, HP Touchsmart 320, I don't know the specs, cause I don't have the box any more, but it is a touchscreen and it has windows 7. Also widescreen.

My computer is berry berry good. But this is what I wish it was.

Alienware is a waste of money in my opinion, your better off buying your own parts and putting them together yourself or if you want pay someone to do it. I bought my parts for $1500 and it beats every $2500 computer I've seen so far (in terms of specifications).

Edited by FlutterSchoer
  • Brohoof 2

Alienware is a waste of money in my opinion, your better off buying your own parts and putting them together yourself or if you want pay someone to do it. I bought my parts for $1500 and it beats every $2500 computer I've seen so far (in terms of specifications).

Yea, the only reason mine is "berry berry good" is that I bought a shit computer, and upgraded pretty much every part of it. My brother is currently building his from scratch, with my help, and were getting an INCREDIBLE machine for under $1200. I know that Alianware is a waste, but if you compile all there best parts, it makes an overpriced machine that can do ANYTHING.

Edited by Ice
  • Brohoof 1

Wondering what kind of computer specs people have.

Went ahead and merged this thread into an older one, complete with poll. :)

Manufacturer: HP

Hard Drive: 1 TB

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 250

Memory: 5GB Ram

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4200 [ < Garbage]

Rather decent computer for $500, I suppose.

Edited by Private Pansy