• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

Current Linux Network Name: DerpyCurrent Windows Network Name: Caligula(both of these names are very fitting...)Motherboard: Gigabyte model 970A-D3Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 3.3 GHz, 3.7GHz turboMemory: 8 GB DDR3 (Might add more as im only using 2/4 slots for my ram, but I don't really need it)Graphics: Radeon HD 6950Hard drives: 60 GB SSD and 500 GB HDD.Operating Systems: Windows 8 / Chakra Linux (the windows side is only used for gaming)I could go onto my acer, but im sure you can figure out what those cheap little netbooks can do. The only thing i've done to it has been installing Arch Linux over Windows 7 Starter Edition and increasing the ram to the motherboard's max potential: 2 GB.(Thank heavens for sudo dmicode | more or else I couldnt have given you those model numbers...)

Edited by Celtore

Well, since the Daedalus Project is finally finished (Besides the monitor; I'm borrowing that), I may as well post it here.

post-98-0-58289700-1349644596_thumb.jpg

Meet my beast of a computer, Daedalus.

AMD FX-8150 3.6 GHz 8-core processor

8 GB DDR3 1600 RAM

NVIDIA GTX 660 ti (May buy another one in the future for SLI)

Antec HCG 900W Power Supply

990FXA-UD3 motherboard

1 TB HDD, and 120 GB SSD

Took over two months to build and many paychecks, but well worth it. :)

• 4 months later...
(edited)

which is the master race?

img-1247683-1-1BJ7MVj.jpg

in my point of view i think linux is master race because:-

I have been using Linux pretty much exclusively for the last 4 years. Recently I've switched from Ubuntu to Arch and the love is even more deep now. I just can't understand why more people don't use it. Here are my top reasons why linux is the best os.1. As simple or complicated as the user would like. Want a simple to install version that "just works" out of the box? Boot from a ubuntu live cd fill out some basic info and surf facebook in firefox while you wait for it to complete it's thing. Want to start with nothing but a command line,text editor, and package manager? Install arch and then run pacman -S anything else you may need.2. Will run great on less powerful hardware. Most people buy a new computer when their old one starts showing signs of age. Why waste your money when linux can run great on it? I'm running arch with xfce configured on my netbook. I am using about 250mb ram at the moment and everything opens pretty much instantly. Most average users could save the price of a new computer if they just tried linux. Once again you could either start from the ground up with something like arch or just download a distro that is designed to be light from the ground up like lubuntu or crunchbang.3. Less hassle to run than windows. That's right once setup linux is easier to maintain than windows. In windows you update the system and then update all the apps separately as well as run virus scanner, defrag, registry cleaner etc. In linux to maintain my system all i have to do is run pacman -Syu or apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and hit y or n to accept upgrades. I don't have to bother with all that other crap.4. Nobody tells you how to use your computer. Windows 7 was great and then all of a sudden microsoft decides to do a complete overhaul with Windows 8. Sure you can stick with windows 7 for now but what about 10 years from now and support for windows 7 is dead? You'll either be forced to use the shitty metro ui or stick using a deprecated os. With linux you have the base x-window system and then you have a gui called a desktop environment or window manager that runs on top of it. You can install pretty much any of these desktop environments on any distro and switch between them just by logging out and chosing from a menu. This way you get to chose a gui that is more to your tastes. Also most of these desktop environments are very customizable. You can change pretty much every aspect of them from the color scheme to window borders to animations that add useful functionality to the os ala osx espose and spaces.5. Cheaper. Want to run windows or osx? Either buy a liscense for around $100 or buy a computer with them on it. Linux cost nothing. You also aren't forced to buy apple hardware just to use the damn os. Pc hardware is much cheaper than apple hardware and will do the job just fine for most people. Why squander money on a mac when you can probably get buy with slapping ubuntu on a pc that cost half as much?7. Will run on anything from a super computer to a computer that has been collecting dust in a garage somewhere.So there are my reasons for loving linux. Hope this at least convinces some people to give it a chance

Edited by omran97
  • Brohoof 2

I've grown up in a windows family. I've used Mac a few times, but I almost always use Windows. I've never used Linux before, but it does sound pretty nice, since I've heard you can program it yourself. I'd maybe say Linux.

Been using Windows for years, used Mac before, used Linux. I like Linux--but I prefer Windows over them all. Reasons? None really, just more my style--I've never been a fan of anything Apple, as for Linux--it's alright but not my thing either.

In terms of sales, Windows.

I've found that if you ask someone who doesn't know much about computers they will usually say that MAC's are better.

Probably half the population of both the above OS users don't know what Linux is.

I like Windows because it supports pretty much everything i need. 

My friend is an absolutely avid Linux fan. He despises both Windows and Mac. This makes me want to read your points on Linux, OP, but please sort out those 5 points so that they're paragraphed... that wall of text is unappealing :c

I've used Windows all of my life - I've only used Mac very briefly, and not once have I used Linux. If I were to compare the three OSes, it'd be unbalanced. So, I'm simply going to state why I like Windows.

1. Because it's the world's best-selling OS, there is an enormous relativity factor. It's much easier to find answers to your questions about the OS because so many other people use it.
  2. Also because it's the world's best-selling OS, people making new programs and computer games are initially going to engineer them towards Windows, to get the most return on their creation. This means there are an enormous wealth of things to do on Windows.
  3. Windows is extremely customisable, if you know what you're doing. With a knowledge of registries and the command prompt, you can get your Windows computer to do pretty much anything.
  4. The interface is absolutely fantastic. The task bar especially - you know how you can hover over the icons in Windows 7 and it'll give you a preview of the window? That's Aero Preview, and it's brilliant. The start menu is of equal appeal - you can choose to pin programs to the start menu for easy access, and the Run is in plain sight with an auto-completive feature to get you to your destination.
  5. The price is great - this'll be the one point I start comparing to other OSes. Mac OS X is abnormally expensive. Windows isn't. ;)

Windows is the master MONOPOLY, but Linux gives you so much more freedom and doesn't even use half the resources windows does. The only reason I have windows on my desktop is because of gaming purposes, but Ubuntu saved me from throwing out my laptop since all it did was crash because of windows. As for Macs, I only used them once, since they are too expensive for my wallet.

As long as its Windows 7, I'll use it. On my new laptop? Windows 7. Why?

♥ Windows 7 hasn't crashed on me. Ever.

♥ It supports YAPE, for Ponymon Blue.

♥ It's cheap now that Windows 8 is out!

♥ Nice GUI.

♥ I can customize my themes to have ponies.

I prefer Windows over Linux, but the only reason why is because most programs I use aren't compatible with Linux. If I ever find out how to remove Ubuntu from this computer, I'm most likely going to start using Xubuntu or Fedora.

• Brohoof 1

I was brought up using Windows, so it is the most familiar OS for me. It's simple, reliable, and effective, and that's all I really need.
I once used Ubuntu on a laptop of mine, but never really got into it.

(edited)

For me, it's Linux. Any distro. I use Ubuntu in my notebook, and Debian for my server. The reasons are simple :

• Linux doesn't hide what happens behind the scene, not like Windows. It's extremely important if you're learning advance computing. When you use Windows, you just "click, run, done" but when you run Linux, you can understand what does an program really do.
  • Linux is more flexible. You can customize it as you like. You can set your network, services, and software the way you like it.
  • Better administration.
  • It compiles things better.
  • The graphic is much more adorable than Windows, and it costs less resource. I like Ubuntu's interface more than Windows 7 or 8.
  • Better security. It's harder to hack Linux than Windows for some reasons. :lol:
  • Less virus. It can be both strength or flaw for Linux actually.
  • Linux is free.
  • Linux + Internet = Heaven. Seriously, I would have spent most of my time at school, stealing their Wi-Fi, with this Linux if the security pony didn't ask me to go home. :lol:
  • There's a lore, that browsing with Linux is faster than with Windows. In my experience, it's real.
  • Easy to update.
  • FREE. FREE. FREE. Yo ho yo ho no pirates life for me~

Even so, Linux also has some flaws. Some of them are:

• Harder to learn than Windows. You just need to click in Windows, and you can run any software you have, but with Linux, it's more complicated.
  • Trying to play games with Linux is pain. Well, I don't play game anymore now. :lol:
  • Most software these days are made for Windows.
  • You have to login with root if you want to config your server. I know that it's for security, but still a little annoying.

I think that's enough for now. There are many other things about Linux. Personally I have never used Mac, but I know that its compatibility is kinda annoying. I will prefer Windows than Mac.

P.S. I don't dual boot. I only have Ubuntu in my machine.

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 1

Well, for me personally, I love Windows for laptops and desktops. They're not too expensive and they work just fine. My next laptop will be  a Windows laptop.

But as for mobile things, I believe Apple is best. Sure, they cost a butt-ton, but they work like they cost a butt-ton. My iPad is perfect for anything I want to do on it.

I've never tried Linux, but I may have to eventually, just so I can see where it goes on my list.

To skip what I said: Windows = computers, Apple = mobile

For me, it's Linux. Any distro. I use Ubuntu in my notebook, and Debian for my server. The reasons are simple :

• Linux doesn't hide what happens behind the scene, not like Windows. It's extremely important if you're learning advance computing. When you use Windows, you just "click, run, done" but when you run Linux, you can understand what does an program really do.
  • Linux is more flexible. You can customize it as you like. You can set your network, services, and software the way you like it.
  • Better administration.
  • It compiles things better.
  • The graphic is much more adorable than Windows, and it costs less resource. I like Ubuntu's interface more than Windows 7 or 8.
  • Better security. It's harder to hack Linux than Windows for some reasons.  :lol:
  • Less virus. It can be both strength or flaw for Linux actually.
  • Linux is free.
  • Linux + Internet = Heaven. Seriously, I would have spent most of my time at school, stealing their Wi-Fi, with this Linux if the security pony didn't ask me to go home.  :lol:
  • There's a lore, that browsing with Linux is faster than with Windows. In my experience, it's real.
  • Easy to update.
  • FREE. FREE. FREE. Yo ho yo ho no pirates life for me~

Even so, Linux also has some flaws. Some of them are:

• Harder to learn than Windows. You just need to click in Windows, and you can run any software you have, but with Linux, it's more complicated.
  • Trying to play games with Linux is pain. Well, I don't play game anymore now.  :lol:
  • Most software these days are made for Windows.
  • You have to login with root if you want to config your server. I know that it's for security, but still a little annoying.

I think that's enough for now. There are many other things about Linux. Personally I have never used Mac, but I know that its compatibility is kinda annoying. I will prefer Windows than Mac.

i crai now this was amazing bro >that feel man i didn't know you that there is somebody out there in the forum who use linux .amazing.

f5f.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I have used all three.

I prefer windows for personal use, but Linux for business.

To quote our IT instructor in college.

"Today we are going to put Linux on your laptop." Instructor

"Linux?! You can't game on Linux!" Me

Needless to say, I got the longest speech ever that day...and I learned about duel booting an os.

(edited)

For me, its Windows, and it will always be.

Ive been using that program for the past lifetime, and every time its worked wonders in getting things done. 7 was the best out of all the windows  OS's for me since it was much simpler then Vista or '98.

((Continuing with post since the forums is derping out))

Ive heard in the Linux comments that it runs lower power programs with ease. That right there kills me from ever running Linux, since I run high power games on my laptop.

Windows can run things at extremely fast speeds if you have the right parts to a computer, which is one other reason I would prefer Windows from Linux even if I havent used the program.

((Again, continuing because the forums is derping))

So you may say: "Well that's an unfair comparason when you havent even used Linux yet."

It can, and cant be at the same time. From what ive been reading about above, I came up with that Linux can run lower power stuff much better then windows can, as compared to windows running higher power stuff much better then Linux.

((I really hate when this website does this))

As I said in the paragraph above the one above me now, I would prefer Windows to run all my games n programs for me.

And so that just about wraps it up for a thing about Windows and Linux.

((4th time its derped out on me like that))

Notice how I didnt include Mac's OS because that one I know would be a good comparason to Windows since it also runs higher power programs at a much better rate. Ive never tested that OS either, and im not willing to because of how much their computers cost.

Edited by Moon Wave

i crai now this was amazing bro >that feel man i didn't know you that there is somebody out there in the forum who use linux .amazing.

img-1247916-1-f5f.jpg

post-10241-0-53892800-1358517630.jpg
Yes. I see no reason to use Windows anymore.

Windows is made so people can use computer easily. There's nothing wrong with it. Linux is harder to learn. You need at least he basic knowledge of computing to use it.

Its graphic, availability, flexibility, performance and security pleases me. It's very good to learn advanced computing, trust me. ;)

Yes. I see no reason to use Windows anymore.

Windows is made so people can use computer easily. There's nothing wrong with it. Linux is harder to learn. You need at least he basic knowledge of computing to use it.

Its graphic, availability, flexibility, performance and security pleases me. It's very good to learn advanced computing, trust me. ;)

people keep saying linux is hard and hard to use ,but they don't say that linux changed like linux mint N' ubuntu and easy to learn distro but they keep saying it is harder even though windows was hard for them first time and they will not admit it because every OS  is learned over time and become easier to master it .

the problem with other OS they don't have a lot of choice you can't advance in them there are no level in it there is no fun at mastering the system because eventually you will stop and use it normally like a normal old computer ,you don't have the fun of changing stuff in your system,you don't have challenge to do in your OS,there is nothing new to do,nothing new to advance in.

BASIC KNOWLEDGE is nothing that you want to learn very fast

if you took it very fast to learn you will forget it faster

but if you learned it slowly over time it stick with you

Manlytears2.jpg

I'd use Linux if I wasn't a PC gamer. But since I am, I need Windows, and since I already have Windows and it can do everything I want it to, there's no point in dual booting. I'd never use Linux, so it'd just be sitting in a corner of my hard disc, taking up space that could be used for something else. 

I did have an older computer that was running Ubuntu, but after a thunder storm and power surge, it finally gave out :/

cautionary.png

• Brohoof 3

Currently running on Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion (the latest version) Ive had a mac for 3 months now and i think it is significantly better than windows 7. its much more user friendly, tidier, sleeker and runs much more smoothly. 

I havent tried linux yet, i dont even understand it really. i should look into it eventually  :huh:

I'd use Linux if I wasn't a PC gamer. But since I am, I need Windows, and since I already have Windows and it can do everything I want it to, there's no point in dual booting. I'd never use Linux, so it'd just be sitting in a corner of my hard disc, taking up space that could be used for something else. 

I did have an older computer that was running Ubuntu, but after a thunder storm and power surge, it finally gave out :/

img-1248331-1-cautionary.png

there is steam for linux

steam=team fortress 2

team fortress 2=hat

hat=win

win=winrar

winrar=peazip

pea=peashooter

peashooter=planetVsZombie

i like potatatatatato

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

there is steam for linux

steam=team fortress 2

True, but not all Steam games work on Linux simply because Steam itself works for Linux. And there are plenty of games I play that aren't Steam that don't work on Linux without messing around with Wine and such, or have a bunch of glitches, or just don't work at all.

Edited by Evilshy