• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

I'd say that Linux is master race for PC gamers and such. I grew up using Windows for my old computer and, I really get used to Windows.

So I say, Windows is a master race in its own right.

(edited)

Why Liniux will never matter on a desktop pc

No standards, one of the bigest failures in linux is the lack of a standared package manager. .rpm, .deb. and many others.

Until all Distro are forced to use a single package manager there is no way linux will be desktop ready

Zero options when installing software, Linux forces users  to install software were linux what them to be installed. Zero way around this. Users are unable to install programs and linux games  were the users wanted them, (IE. Folders and even different hdd disks)

SteamWorks 4 Linux is a perfect example. user can not tell Steam were to install nor can they tell steam were to install there linux games to. if your sporting a small SSD 32-250gig you can see how this is a huge problem. before you know it your out of space. (ps. my steam collection is reaching the 1TB mark that I have stored on a seperate drive on my windows PC)

Lack of 3D rendering across all video card and drivers, Linux by defualt and for the most part is useing the way behind OpenGL for 3D rendering, Wine's DX 9.x implants is lustlest at best.

Linux is only fully useible  for servers, mobile devices, and hardware that only sports a single disk.

(ps. Don;t get me started on Andriod or Googles Chromuime oS. there a bad joke at best)

Edited by MadDoggyca
  • Brohoof 1

I have to say, I think Linux is best OS.

Never tried Mac. I heard its horrible.

I'm only using Windows at the moment for audio editing.

I am planning to dual boot Windows 7 + Debian (linux-based os)

Windows is superior for one reason only.

Compatibility. Until Linux (or another OS) catches up and makes all games compatible with it, i shall continue to use Windows as my primary OS, despite my absolute hate for Microsoft and their practices (they screwed my family over many years ago).

I use an iPad 4 and an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Pro too (the MacBook is my younger brothers, but i play around on it if he needs to use my PC for something). I also have a Ubuntu partition on my computer, my ranking goes like this: Windows > Linux > Mac OSX.

But again, windows only wins because it has the most compatibility for games, it is otherwise a very poor and unstable OS written by a misguided company with poor support and updating practices.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

now on to the postive, I explain why Linux will never reall matter on a desktop, Then you have windows 8 on non tablet/touch devices.

little do people know windows 8 Pro x64 is the best os out there. Due to the fact its built on windows 7 with over 100,000+ new features code, and impreovemnent. And of coruse there not all visible to the eye. msot majory improvments are all under the hood.

today I will demostrate why windows 8 is better then windows 7. not only will I show prove the. I'll do it in anywere I basicly show no Windows 8 Key features such as startscreen & the charm bar

To make it more instreting I will use a windows Tablet with out useing the tablet key features. My Windows 8 should look, feel and run excatly like  windows 7 with all the improvments, code, and WinRT apps in a Non winRt enveriment..

No startscreen
No Charmbar (hot conors)
No full Screen WinRT apps.
No switch from the desktop

Edited by MadDoggyca

(edited)

I see Linux as my desktop of choice.

I recently switched from Manjaro back to Arch Linux. It is essentially exactly what I want it to be and nothing more, I put together my package combinations to be visually appealing and fully featured yet having a small memory and CPU footprint.

My boot time into my login screen is less than 5 seconds and my fully ready desktop in less than a second, everything is customized to my needs, the desktop takes less than 100 MB of ram on idle, I can change my entire UI on a whim, it's perfect for me. Sure Guild Wars 2 and many steam games havent been ported to linux, but I really like it for what it is.

I actually ran linux only for 4 years before I built a new computer. I didn't like Vista so I tried out Ubuntu. I eventually became a distro-hopper until I eventually settled with Arch. I still ocasionally go looking for new distributions because it's a lot of fun looking at the different visions people have of what a fully featured desktop is, but I usually end up back where I started.

The performance and filesystem is nice, but I think the main difference between windows and linux for me is the fun factor. I have fun customizing my desktop, being encouraged to learn and try new things, updating my packages, etc. This isn't for everyone I admit and as previously mentioned, the gaming department really does have some catching up to do, but these reasons are enough for me to consider it my primary operating system.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

To wrap things up about Windows and Linux, I will give my reviews on both OS. I've experienced both for a good amount of time. It's kinda ridiculous if we judge an OS just by its compatibility to play games. Don't get me wrong. I love games, but there are so many other interesting things you can do with this awesome machine called computer.

First, I will start with Linux. Just assume that the disadvantages of Linux are the strength of Windows. It's better to do that rather than writing two reviews about same factors.

Advantages of Linux:

• Stability. My Windows crashed every 15 minutes just because ONE application crashed. It crashed whenever I tried to uninstall it, which forced me to reinstall the OS and let my precious data go. In Linux, when an application crashes (very rare actually. That's why we call it stable) it usually won't harm the other processes or the Kernel. I've experienced having trouble with applications in Linux. Not because they were crappy, but it was because my curiousity to play with them. The application simply wouldn't run. It was all just that. It worked properly after I fix it, or reinstall it, and without side effects. It wouldn't harm the OS, or the hardware, while in Windows, when an application crashes, BSOD comes. Sometimes it hurts your hard disk, memory, PSU, or even processor.
  • Free. I think it's no need to explain this. You can't get Windows or Mac for free without the almighty piracy, or Bill Gate's generousity.
  • Security. In many things. Directory system, user privileges, directory ownership, ports, etc. One simple reason, login with a user with administrator privilege in Windows, and mess with the system. See what happens? BLAM! Login with a user with administrator in Linux, and try to do any harmful thing to the system. See what happens? Permission denied. There's a super user in Linux which is heavily protected with magics and stuff. Unless you can hack the root, which is very hard, you can't destroy the system. Also, you can manage the work of services in your Linux. It's very good for security. An unnecessary service is a hole for viruses and hackers. For a record, how many unnecessary services run by default in Windows? Or unnecessary services applications in Windows run?
  • Performance. This one is simple. Having it a try is better than explaining the theory. If you want a reasonable one, the previous factor has explained it. More services means more resources. Savvy?
  • Flexibility. Try to expand a Windows and a Linux. Which one is easier? Of course the Linux. Not only because it's free and open-source, it's also because you can really see and do anything the system actually does. You can understand the system better, and due to its free attribute and repository, it's very easy to expand for various kind of works.
  • Good for learning advanced computing. This is very important to me. Linux shows what happens in the system, while Windows doesn't. Imagine you read something in a foreign language, which you don't even understand the meaning (like Arabic or Chinese), and you're asked to understand the text and develop it. Can you or can you not?
  • Some hardware reasons which will be explained better by not me.

Disadvantages of Linux:

• Can't be learn easily. In Windows, you just need to read the menu and learn how to click.
  • The software. You can't play Skyrim or whatever in Linux without Wine, or the Linux version. In fact, this is just a mere fact that most game developers makes games to be used in Windows for business. These days, you can see many new software made for Linux. The development is fast, because people do it because they like it, not for money. Maybe I must write that Pony MMO for Linux? :lol:
  • More technical ability needed. Seriously, those directory and partition system in Linux aren't stupid. If you think that those system are worse than Windows, then you just don't understand that they're made for security and better performance. Linux does have partition system. See? More technical ability is needed to play with Linux.
  • Not all hardware can run in it. Aye. I have a very old machine which can't run Linux. There are some issues about new hardware as well, but the people is developing the Kernel so Linux can work with those hardware.

If some developers want to make games in Linux, I bet it will be an absolute master OS in the history of human kind. ;)

I won't wait for somepony else. I will contribute my skill for Linux. Open source revolution! Woloo woloo woloo!

To wrap things up about Windows and Linux, I will give my reviews on both OS. I've experienced both for a good amount of time. It's kinda ridiculous if we judge an OS just by its compatibility to play games. Don't get me wrong. I love games, but there are so many other interesting things you can do with this awesome machine called computer.

First, I will start with Linux. Just assume that the disadvantages of Linux are the strength of Windows. It's better to do that rather than writing two reviews about same factors.

Advantages of Linux:

• Stability. My Windows crashed every 15 minutes just because ONE application crashed. It crashed whenever I tried to uninstall it, which forced me to reinstall the OS and let my precious data go. In Linux, when an application crashes (very rare actually. That's why we call it stable) it usually won't harm the other processes or the Kernel. I've experienced having trouble with applications in Linux. Not because they were crappy, but it was because my curiousity to play with them. The application simply wouldn't run. It was all just that. It worked properly after I fix it, or reinstall it, and without side effects. It wouldn't harm the OS, or the hardware, while in Windows, when an application crashes, BSOD comes. Sometimes it hurts your hard disk, memory, PSU, or even processor.
  • Free. I think it's no need to explain this. You can't get Windows or Mac for free without the almighty piracy, or Bill Gate's generousity.
  • Security. In many things. Directory system, user privileges, directory ownership, ports, etc. One simple reason, login with a user with administrator privilege in Windows, and mess with the system. See what happens? BLAM! Login with a user with administrator in Linux, and try to do any harmful thing to the system. See what happens? Permission denied. There's a super user in Linux which is heavily protected with magics and stuff. Unless you can hack the root, which is very hard, you can't destroy the system. Also, you can manage the work of services in your Linux. It's very good for security. An unnecessary service is a hole for viruses and hackers. For a record, how many unnecessary services run by default in Windows? Or unnecessary services applications in Windows run?
  • Performance. This one is simple. Having it a try is better than explaining the theory. If you want a reasonable one, the previous factor has explained it. More services means more resources. Savvy?
  • Flexibility. Try to expand a Windows and a Linux. Which one is easier? Of course the Linux. Not only because it's free and open-source, it's also because you can really see and do anything the system actually does. You can understand the system better, and due to its free attribute and repository, it's very easy to expand for various kind of works.
  • Good for learning advanced computing. This is very important to me. Linux shows what happens in the system, while Windows doesn't. Imagine you read something in a foreign language, which you don't even understand the meaning (like Arabic or Chinese), and you're asked to understand the text and develop it. Can you or can you not?
  • Some hardware reasons which will be explained better by not me.

Disadvantages of Linux:

• Can't be learn easily. In Windows, you just need to read the menu and learn how to click.
  • The software. You can't play Skyrim or whatever in Linux without Wine, or the Linux version. In fact, this is just a mere fact that most game developers makes games to be used in Windows for business. These days, you can see many new software made for Linux. The development is fast, because people do it because they like it, not for money. Maybe I must write that Pony MMO for Linux? :lol:
  • More technical ability needed. Seriously, those directory and partition system in Linux aren't stupid. If you think that those system are worse than Windows, then you just don't understand that they're made for security and better performance. Linux does have partition system. See? More technical ability is needed to play with Linux.
  • Not all hardware can run in it. Aye. I have a very old machine which can't run Linux. There are some issues about new hardware as well, but the people is developing the Kernel so Linux can work with those hardware.

If some developers want to make games in Linux, I bet it will be an absolute master OS in the history of human kind. ;)

I won't wait for somepony else. I will contribute my skill for Linux. Open source revolution! Woloo woloo woloo!

this is very long but when i read the last part i was all like this

WOLOLO

and then o rememberd that there is this amazing video

(edited)

I don't think there is a master race. All of the Operating Systems have their own pros and cons. The term "Best Operating System" is subjective. Each person has different standards. Your standards for a good Operating System are different from that other guy's. There is no best Operating System, there is your preferred Operating System.

My preferred Operating System is Windows. It does everything I need it to, plus it comes free on my computer. I turn it on, and I'm good to go, there's no bullshit. I like that. I've tried Mac OS and Linux, but I just never had a good experience with either one of them.

Mac OS doesn't really bring enough to the table to make me pick it over Linux or Windows. Yes, it's Mac-exclusive, and yes, it has exclusive software. But so does Linux and Windows. I just don't see any reason why I should pay 1000 dollars for a Mac with average computer specs, when I could spend that money on a souped-up, high end gaming PC that can rival any games console. Even if the Operating System was free, I still would not see any reason why I should replace Windows with it. Windows is more open, and it also has the most 3rd party support.

Me and Linux never got along. Linux is just so much of a hassle. I've tried to install it on 5 different machines. Never once was I successful. There's always a problem I run into. It doesn't matter if I use a USB, a Disc, or even Windows to install Linux onto the machine. It never works. I've tried many distros, Fedora. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, and OpenSUSE. Not one of them worked. Many people love to talk up Linux. I just don't see what makes it so good. One of my friends runs it, and I played around with it on his computer, but it didn't really seem all that great. It lacks 3rd party support, and it's just so needlessly hard to use. Yeah, I could figure it out if I want to, but why do that, when I can pop in Windows, let it install, eat some chicken, and take a nap? Why go through all of that extra crap? I think a lot of people use it because it makes them feel more intelligent and superior to the "Typical" computer user. Why do I think this? Because I always see Linux users tell people like me that "I'm not intelligent enough to enjoy the system." They never answer my questions about why Linux is so great. In fact, somebody right here on the forums said they would write a blog highlighting why Linux was better than Windows. It never happened.

So yeah, I personally prefer Windows. It might not be perfect, but you know what? It works. I turn it on, and it works every time. I download an app, and it works every time. There's no bullshit. I buy my computer, I turn it on, I can use it. I don't have to download drivers, or download a new Operating System. I press the button, and I can use my computer. That's what I want. I don't care about how "Cool" an Operating System is, I don't care about how "Intelligent," or "Elegant" an Operating System is. I care about whether or not it works. Windows works for me every time, that is why it is my preferred Operating System.

Edited by Commander Urdnot

I don't think there is a master race. All of the Operating Systems have their own pros and cons. The term "Best Operating System" is subjective. Each person has different standards. Your standards for a good Operating System are different from that other guy's. There is no best Operating System, there is your preferred Operating System.

My preferred Operating System is Windows. It does everything I need it to, plus it comes free on my computer. I turn it on, and I'm good to go, there's no bullshit. I like that. I've tried Mac OS and Linux, but I just never had a good experience with either one of them.

Mac OS doesn't really bring enough to the table to make me pick it over Linux or Windows. Yes, it's Mac-exclusive, and yes, it has exclusive software. But so does Linux and Windows. I just don't see any reason why I should pay 1000 dollars for a Mac with average computer specs, when I could spend that money on a souped-up, high end gaming PC that can rival any games console. Even if the Operating System was free, I still would not see any reason why I should replace Windows with it. Windows is more open, and it also has the most 3rd party support.

Me and Linux never got along. Linux is just so much of a hassle. I've tried to install it on 5 different machines. Never once was I successful. There's always a problem I run into. It doesn't matter if I use a USB, a Disc, or even Windows to install Linux onto the machine. It never works. I've tried many distros, Fedora. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, and OpenSUSE. Not one of them worked. Many people love to talk up Linux. I just don't see what makes it so good. One of my friends runs it, and I played around with it on his computer, but it didn't really seem all that great. It lacks 3rd party support, and it's just so needlessly hard to use. Yeah, I could figure it out if I want to, but why do that, when I can pop in Windows, let it install, eat some chicken, and take a nap? Why go through all of that extra crap? I think a lot of people use it because it makes them feel more intelligent and superior to the "Typical" computer user. Why do I think this? Because I always see Linux users tell people like me that "I'm not intelligent enough to enjoy the system." They never answer my questions about why Linux is so great. In fact, somebody right here on the forums said they would write a blog highlighting why Linux was better than Windows. It never happened.

So yeah, I personally prefer Windows. It might not be perfect, but you know what? It works. I turn it on, and it works every time. I download an app, and it works every time. There's no bullshit. I buy my computer, I turn it on, I can use it. I don't have to download drivers, or download a new Operating System. I press the button, and I can use my computer. That's what I want. I don't care about how "Cool" an Operating System is, I don't care about how "Intelligent," or "Elegant" an Operating System is. I care about whether or not it works. Windows works for me every time, that is why it is my preferred Operating System.

hey you change the font color you made my eye bleed to death and you should feel bad bro it is bad for my eye change the color okay?

(edited)

Windows is more open, and it also has the most 3rd party support.

I think you meant 'user-friendly'.

Windows is user-friendly indeed. It's much more user-friendly than Linux. I must admit that. In fact, that's why Windows is made at the first place. For an easy use of computers. You just need to press the button, read the menu, and click it. Linux is made for development. It's open-source. People can use the code and expand it.

That wall of text and complicated stuff you saw in Linux aren't bullshits. Linux shows the users what happens in the system so people can:

"Oh. So it's how it works. I get it now. I just need to make this part better."

While Windows is a company. It has Windows as its product. They don't want other people copy their hard work. They protect their source code with copyright. They make OS for money. They are like Hasbro protecting MLP. They act like this:

"Okay team! We've finished the new OS. Don't let people know how our clever idea works. Let's protect it so people can't claim our hard work as theirs, and sell it to people. Cheer."

That's what does 'open' mean while Windows is owned by Microsoft. They will sue you if you break their secured code and expand it without their permission. Business. Savvy?

post-10241-0-07469400-1358082334.jpg

I guess you just have some unpleasant experience with Linux users. Aye, some Linux users only use Linux to make themselves look 'smarter' or whatever. I don't really like those people, but the fact that Linux needs more technical skill to use can't be avoided. You won't get any satisfying answer from that kind of people, seriously. Ask people who are really experienced in Linux, or at least, Google it.

I say I love Linux because I do love it. I'm a poor student who can't spend my money just for an OS, and tired of doing piracy. I would prefer to learn complicated things (I love computer stuff, so why not learning it?) and choose the free Linux, and later I found that it's beautiful indeed. The security, etc. I've mentioned those things in my previous posts. You may want to read it if you really want some reasons why Linux is good. ;)

By the way, it's fine to have a debate. A good debate makes an useful conclusion which may help many people.

P.S. I don't mind your text colour. :lol:

Edited by Sky Warden

(edited)

hey you change the font color you made my eye bleed to death and you should feel bad bro it is bad for my eye change the color okay?

I'm so sorry my text color hurts your eyes so much. That just breaks my freaken heart. :'(

Here, is this better?

I think you meant 'user-friendly'.

Windows is user-friendly indeed. It's much more user-friendly than Linux. I must admit that. In fact, that's why Windows is made at the first place. For an easy use of computers. You just need to press the button, read the menu, and click it. Linux is made for development. It's open-source. People can use the code and expand it.

That wall of text and complicated stuff you saw in Linux aren't bullshits. Linux shows the users what happens in the system so people can:

"Oh. So it's how it works. I get it now. I just need to make this part better."

While Windows is a company. It has Windows as its product. They don't want other people copy their hard work. They protect their source code with copyright. They make OS for money. They are like Hasbro protecting MLP. They act like this:

"Okay team! We've finished the new OS. Don't let people know how our clever idea works. Let's protect it so people can't claim our hard work as theirs, and sell it to people. Cheer."

That's what does 'open' mean while Windows is owned by Microsoft. They will sue you if you break their secured code and expand it without their permission. Business. Savvy?

I guess you just have some unpleasant experience with Linux users. Aye, some Linux users only use Linux to make themselves look 'smarter' or whatever. I don't really like those people, but the fact that Linux needs more technical skill to use can't be avoided. You won't get any satisfying answer from that kind of people, seriously. Ask people who are really experienced in Linux, or at least, Google it.

I say I love Linux because I do love it. I'm a poor student who can't spend my money just for an OS, and tired of doing piracy. I would prefer to learn complicated things (I love computer stuff, so why not learning it?) and choose the free Linux, and later I found that it's beautiful indeed. The security, etc. I've mentioned those things in my previous posts. You may want to read it if you really want some reasons why Linux is good. ;)

By the way, it's fine to have a debate. A good debate makes an useful conclusion which may help many people.

P.S. I don't mind your text colour. :lol:

I never said that Windows was open-source. I said it was more open than Mac OS. I can install Windows on any PC, I cannot do that with a Mac. That was the point that I was making.

I get it, Linux is open-source, Windows isn't. But why would I want Linux on my computer? It's harder to use, takes time to install, and lacks 3rd party support. What does Linux bring to the table that Windows doesn't other than being open-source? What are the pros and cons of Linux? How do they fare with the pros and cons of Windows? Whichever decision has the best pro-con ratio is the decision I'm going with.

Also, how is Linux more secure? If the OS is open, and ANYONE can access it, wouldn't that make it easier to develop viruses for it? The fact that people are so invested in the security of Linux that they don't even have anti-virus on their computer would make a virus for Linux that much more effective. The only reason why there aren't too many viruses for Linux, is not because the OS is "That good," it's because nobody sees a need to develop viruses for Linux, hardly anyone uses it. There's little to no pay-off.

Edited by Commander Urdnot
  • Brohoof 1

But why would I want Linux on my computer? It's harder to use, takes time to install, and lacks 3rd party support. What does Linux bring to the table that Windows doesn't other than being open-source? What are the pros and cons of Linux? How do they fare with the pros and cons of Windows? Whichever decision has the best pro-con ratio is the decision I'm going with.

Also, how is Linux more secure? If the OS is open, and ANYONE can access it, wouldn't that make it easier to develop viruses for it? The fact that people are so invested in the security of Linux that they don't even have anti-virus on their computer would make a virus for Linux that much more effective. The only reason why there aren't too many viruses for Linux, is not because the OS is "That good," it's because nobody sees a need to develop viruses for Linux, hardly anyone uses it. There's little to no pay-off.

>hard to use

>take time to install

>lack 3rd party support

1311626491256.jpg

1310483412100.jpg

>hard to use

when did you start using linux in 90' or something bro

>take time to install

windows=4 hour

linux=30 min

>3rd party support

bro do you even compile?

> security 

why these place run linux then right:-

U.S. Department of Defense

U.S. Navy Submarine Fleet

The City of Munich, Germany

Spain

French Parliament

State-Owned Industrial and Commercial Bank of China

Pakistani Schools & Colleges

U.S. Federal Courts

Government of Mexico City

German Universities

Indiana Schools

Google

IBM

Amazon

Wikipedia

are they not secure enough for you bro?

(edited)

I use Windows 8 as well as Ubuntu and Mint. I haven't really used Mac OS extensively, but I can imagine it being similar to Linux.

In my opinion there is no so called "master race". They all have their dis- and advantages. Most importantly everypony has a different preference.

Windows 7 doesn't use as much hardware resources as you might think. It actually runs on a Pentium III with 192MB RAM. I'm planning on trying it out myself (or rather, I will try it out) on my "new" ThinkPad 570E with 500MHz PIII and 320MB RAM. I'm sure it will run fine.

I also don't get why so many people hate on Windows 8. Metro is an addition, you may choose to use its Apps or not. Apart from that it includes many improvements compared to Win 7. It uses even less resources (which results in higher performance), has a better multi-monitor support and a better task manager, just to name a few. (the list would be to long to name all)

My problem with Ubuntu was that it felt like it was a Beta or something. Sometimes it would nit react when I clicked something, sometimes there would be graphical bugs or sometimes other strange random things would happen. Same problem with Mint. Stuff like that hasn't happened to me since Win XP. Other than that it's nice to play around with though.

I don't like the GUI in Ubuntu (Unity and Gnome) and Mint (Cinnamon) though. It uses up to much screen space which is a no-go on Laptops. Windows is still undefeated when it comes to that.

windows=4 hour linux=30 min

Ubuntu took me around 30 minutes to install. Windows 8 took about the same time, perhaps a bit less.

Edited by CloudsdaleCompanion

(edited)

>hard to use

>take time to install

>lack 3rd party support

>hard to use

when did you start using linux in 90' or something bro

>take time to install

windows=4 hour

linux=30 min

>3rd party support

bro do you even compile?

The pot calling the kettle black

Now I know your trolololoing here. Im going to ask you the same question

"when did you start using Windows? in 90' or something bro"

linux depending on the distro can take any were from 10-70mins. (more if the hardware is realllly old)

Windows Vista/Win7/Win8 take roughly 10-20mins to install since they switched over to the .win image format. a bit longer on older hardware.

When windows install on a pc via a disc or digital download, during the install its not acutally install the os like Win9.x to win xp did. instead its deploing the OS via a image file (.win)

now setup & update times depends on the install media you used.

If your install fresh with a RTM disc, time will take longer to setup and update then install fresh from a sp1(Win7), sp2(vista) or sp3(Xp) disc.  Installing Win8 (rtm) is so far faster to install, update, setup then mint, ubuntu, fedora at this moment.

The same gose for linux. If your install fresh from a *nix os that just got released will be quicker then seting up and updating from a older *nix os disc.

(example)

Also it is true 3rd party support dose sux balls on linux complaired to windows. and no mater how many time you try to complie there no way your going to get Adobe master Collection to run on *nix right out of the box. Compliling is only good if you have the source code as well. Good luck getting that for any major 3rd party devs. Yes Gimp, OpenOffice, or should I say LibreOffice is no subsitute for the majory plays out there. XMMS, MPlayer, pigen (IM), kburn, are all crap compaired to the real deal on the windows side. to be honest I can't think of one FOSS Program that is better then a paid one. (and I used a truck load of FOSS)

If it wasn't for wine linux would suck even more then it dose now!

Wine isn't all that grate ether at the moment and is more like a quick patch to get the job done.  and still has a lot of issues runing win programs.

so if ya going to talk linux, at lest be real about it. don't suger code it. it tased bad enough with out you added more to it.

ps I have my Windows Cert, Linux Cert & Apple Cert.

Edited note :

The Corps/Govs/Compenies you listed above only use *nix for server operations (gateways, mail, web, storage, firewalls, VPN's and so on). None of the above deploy *nix for desktop roles (that would assinine and they know it)

IM not sure what the fuss is with windows 8 ether. heres my Desktop, (Image) and my Tablet (youtube video)

em I missing something?

post-10858-0-04531500-1362819526_thumb.jpg

Edited by MadDoggyca

My first OS was some sort of a Linux system (Suse Linux if I recall correctly) but it got replaced pretty soon by Win XP. I used XP for about 8 years and it did everthing for me I wanted it to do. Then I got my laptop which died since, with Vista on it. I didn't really like it though, so I upgraded to Win 7 and I've been using it ever since. I don't need anything better than this, especially in today's world of the "keeping track of everything you do" mentality. So I'm sticking with 7 for as long as possible. I just simply don't like the smart phone-ish approach to the next generation of OSs.

I don't have much experience with the latest editions of any of these OS's, but from four or five years back, this is what I know:

Windows - Like many, it was what I learned to use a computer with, it's what my family always had/still has, and it's by far the most common OS out there. It certainly has come a long way from the pile of crap it once was, but it still has a few small niggles here and there. It's interface is decent enough; usually it's pretty easy to work with and figure out, and does what you ask it to do without much complaint. The software compatibility factor simply cannot be beat, and is definitely its main advantage; if you're a computer gamer, this is clearly your best choice by miles. However, when something goes wrong, you may as well forget about that useless built-in troubleshooting. You're much better off just looking online for solutions. Overall, I have no real inclinations one way or another over the love/hate thing people seem to have for this OS. It does its job most of the time in a decent manor.

Linux - I've given a few distros a go every once in a while, and it's a fun challenge to get things to work just the way you want them. But that is the main issue when trying to sum Linux up; there is no real "official" version, and there are hundreds of not thousands of them that all have their own perks/interfaces/ways of doing things. You really do need to be invested and willing to learn to get the full Linux experience. If you take your time and have patience, you can essentially make an OS that is tailored for you and specifically you. I feel this is why there is such passion from the Linux community - you can pretty much do whatever you want with it, and make it work better for your style of computing than any retail OS ever could. But, for your average user, I feel that something even as simple as Ubuntu is simply not a real viable alternative to Windows or OS X. The software compatibility list leaves much to be desired, and the potential hardware compatibility problems can be a nightmare if you don't know what you are doing. I ran LinuxMint as my only OS for a few months when a virus on my netbook forced me to wipe Windows from the hard drive; to make a long story short, I ended up paying HP the sum of money they wanted to send me XP re-installation disks. Linux is just not for me, and many others I would think. But wonderful for those who enjoy tinkering. :P

Mac OS X - This is my OS of choice, for a few reasons. First and foremost, the design of the whole interface just clicks with the way my mind works better. I almost never have to go searching for a feature or function I need, it's usually exactly where I think it should be located in the menus and folders. Just the way Finder works, the way the drop down menus work, the different locations of options and settings, etc.; Nearly everything about the way OS X does things and allows you to do things makes it incredibly simple and easy (for me, anyway) to do what I need to do. Similarly, the aesthetic design of the OS is very, for lack of a better word, beautiful. :P There is less available software than for Windows, but the amount is growing all the time; very rarely do I ever find an app on Windows that doesn't have a Mac equivalent. But of course, there is a big downside to the OS; it's generally a massive pain in the ass to get OS X to run on anything but Apple hardware. (which is undeniably expensive, and often lacking in specs or features.) It can be done, but it's not something your average user could do easily.

All in all, each OS has upsides and downsides; use whatever fits you best. 

(edited)

@@Commander Urdnot.

post-10241-0-50741200-1362570375.jpg

I wonder if you have read my previous posts? If you really want to add some data to your OS table, read it.

As to your statement, this 'open-source' thingy doesn't make Linux easier to hack. Open SOURCE doesn't mean open HOLES. They share the source code. Just say, people can see many holes in Linux's code since it's open source, and fix the holes. If you follow the development, you will find that the security of Linux is increased every single time. They use Linux. They see how it works. They understand the system. They find the bugs if there's any. They fix it. Repeat.

Windows only use their development team to see bugs, and fix it. Seriously, they're just normal human. They may miss some bugs, and can't fix it. It needs more time for them to see it, because they keep their secret from people. People just know how to click and play games with it. No one will care about helping them with their system since hacking them will be considered as crime. You can hack anything in Linux (if you're smart enough of course) and show the bug in public without getting any insult. Try to hack windows, show the hole in public, and happy spending the rest of your life in jail.

Open minded people develop faster than the closed ones. Savvy? You may want to think why Linux is used for gateways, servers, etc. Not just because it doesn't cost many resources, able to multi-tasking well, and 'considered more technical', but also because of the security. A historical record for example. See the Chinese when they closed themselves 'from the world', and see the British at the same age. Who developed much faster? The British. Why? Because they were open-minded.

This is a true story of me and my friends. We tried to hack a website. We saw that it's in Debian (Linux) and spent about four hours to hack it with a school computer. We just could inject the website with some mean shells and defaced it. We tried to hack another website. We sat that it ran in Windows Server. We laughed, and did the cruelest (trollest actually) things we could do that afternoon. What a sweet memory.

post-10241-0-07469400-1358082334.jpg

I must admit, that it took me half a week to make my Linux ready for web developing, which is annoying. Actually it just needed ten minutes flat to install it, but configuring the web server, the database, the DNS, the other thingy took me a long time. :lol:

With Windows, I just need two hours (30 minutes to install the OS) to make the computer ready for web developing. I just need to install the OS, install AppServ, and it will run, but the security and performance of Linux deserve my time indeed.

Please don't say about third-party stuff. It makes me laugh till now. It's merely because of Business. Why they make software for Windows? Hello, they're one of the richest company in the world. Linux? They're just like a community which has no money. Some programmers only make software for Linux for fun, not money, and they can't feed their daughters just with fun. Simply it's just like that.

Why Windows has more viruses? Because it's fun to see how it works smoothly in Windows and confuses the developers (or more specifically, the users). Linux? You need to log in as the super user (root) to make changes in the system, and this user is protected with magic. Also, hacking them will only makes the free developer teams more interested in increasing their security. Who uses Linux these days anyway? Network engineers, programmers, and some normal users. Hacking Linux will only make the typical users to move to that super rich company named Microsoft, and some hackers or crackers are just jealous with their money.

The simplest technical reasons are that Windows has a bad privilege system, not like Linux. You can log in as an administrator in Windows and you will be able to do almost everything (everything actually, but just say almost). You need to log in as root in Linux to do administrative things even though you're logged in as administrator, and it secures your system. Another reason is that Windows isn't open source. Therefore, Windows has not enough 'eyes' to see the bugs and fix it. Linux has different set of software, not like Windows. If you can make a virus which is able to infect Ms. Office for example, your virus will grow easily to ANY computer with Ms. Office. Also, antivirus companies aren't only there to safe you. Just say you're victims of their profit-making strategy. Google for it if you really want more reasons.

If you just want your computer to type, make reports, draw awesome arts, play magnificent games, see funny memes, browse the ponynet, etc use Windows. If you want to know how a computer works, learn advanced programming, be a network engineer, play with OS, etc use Linux. Who says Linux is all the ways better than Windows? The classic Yin and Yang theory teaches us one thing. Balance. Strength balance void. Void balances strength.

P.S. I have no graphical issue with my Linux Ubuntu. It fits beautifully in my notebook, and there's no uncomfortable thing about the graphic. The graphic works perfectly and very efficient.

Edited by Sky Warden

I've actually never tried Linux, but based of reviews from everyone who has tried Linux, I may some day try Linux.

At the moment, considering that I'm a teenager and teenagers don't really need super fancy things like this, I'll just stick to the Windows that my school computer came with. So right now I guess Windows in my favorite.

I've actually never tried Linux, but based of reviews from everyone who has tried Linux, I may some day try Linux.

At the moment, considering that I'm a teenager and teenagers don't really need super fancy things like this, I'll just stick to the Windows that my school computer came with. So right now I guess Windows in my favorite.

why don't you try it on a live cd or a thumbdrive using unetbootin it will boot from cd or thumbdrive and you will have a ready to go linux  on your thumb drive

i use Windows because it's what i've used pretty much my whole life. i don't care much for Apple and am probably never going to use OSX or a Mac for anything ever. i haven't tried Linux that much, i might try it more at sometime but i don't much care for getting a completely new OS i need to learn in order to use it. if i'm able to play Doom on it, with source-ports and mods, play a bunch of other games i own, use FL Studio, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, Audacity, and more, i might consider not wasting some hundred bucks on a Windows OS. keyword: "might".

I usually use either Windows or Mac. My main computers are Windows based, but the college computers are primarily Macs.

I tried using Linux before, and it was really easy to get the hang of, but it just wasn't for me.

I guess it's okay if all you want out of a computer is basic stuff like browsing the internet and listening to music, but apart from that, I don't see myself using it.

Windows is my favorite OS so far. I know where everything is and how stuff should be working, and most of the software I need is made either for Windows or Mac, so I don't have to pull many strings to get it to work.

I wanna get myself a Mac because my experiences on the college computers have been pretty awesome so far, and they seem to be far more user friendly than Windows.

My only big issue with Macs is that the menu bar makes every window look like it's wearing a hat.

(edited)

For me, it's Linux. Any distro. I use Ubuntu in my notebook, and Debian for my server. The reasons are simple :

P.S. I don't dual boot. I only have Ubuntu in my machine.

Well said. And to add on to your last point, it's not just free as in beer, it's free as in freedom!

I'm not gonna lie, but I'm finding that drivers are getting so much easier to install with Linux now. I'm not talking like 2009, because it was still a problem back then, but now? No big deal, just plug it in, it'll work. The one exception is graphics drivers, of course. Proprietary Linux drivers aren't as good as the Windows ones. However, all the other drivers (USB 3.0 Bus, Printer, Onboard Audio) were much easier to configure in Linux than Windows, for me at least.

I'm using Windows 7 right now. I used to use Xubuntu exclusively, before buying a 1TB HDD and migrating to W7 to play some games. Then I found foobar2000, best media player ever, which is kinda keeping me with Windows. I found out about Deadbeef, which looks pretty similar, and is open source, I might reunite with my love Linux again soon.

Edited by Railrunner

Windows is superior for one reason only.

Compatibility. Until Linux (or another OS) catches up and makes all games compatible with it, i shall continue to use Windows as my primary OS, despite my absolute hate for Microsoft and their practices (they screwed my family over many years ago).

I use an iPad 4 and an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Pro too (the MacBook is my younger brothers, but i play around on it if he needs to use my PC for something). I also have a Ubuntu partition on my computer, my ranking goes like this: Windows > Linux > Mac OSX.

But again, windows only wins because it has the most compatibility for games, it is otherwise a very poor and unstable OS written by a misguided company with poor support and updating practices.

My thoughts in a nuthsell.

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but the lack of compability forced me to also have Windows 7 installed.  I'm also not too good with all the commands and such (yet..), so complexity of things is a small problem for me on Linux.

As for my main computer, it only has Windows 7. I always use Linux on my laptop whenever I'm home, since I can do all the gaming on my main computer, but when I have to travel somewhere else for whatever reason, I have to use my laptop for gaming, so I still have Windows 7 installed on it. It was nice to see Steam getting ported over to Linux, but as of now, there's just not enough games on my library that support Linux.

Edited by Lumen

It was nice to see Steam getting ported over to Linux, but as of now, there's just not enough games on my library that support Linux.

The one reason why I will never use the OS.

I really wouldnt think any hardcore or casual gamer would use Linux UNLESS for some strange reason all the games they want are supported by it.

Myself is an upcoming hardcore gamer. Once I get a giganta-desktop then all the games im playing on the xbox are going to be played on there.