• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

My first experience was with Windows 98, then XP, then Vista. After little things in Windows that annoyed me and the fact that my laptops keep breaking I decided to invest in a MacBook Pro. I've been happy although mountain lion is a little sluggish, other than that I'm happy. Since I have an iPhone, iPad and iPod classic (I did have an iPod touch but I don't know where it is), its convenient that they tie in well (other than the classic). I am about to do a custom build in which I will probably install Windows 8 as I want to make this as recent as I can and last for as long as I can.

Heh Heh as you could tell from my name i prefer GNU/Linux Overall. I prefer having power over my desktop, i love having a great environment for programming if i ever want to do it, i love being truly in control of my computer where i am the driver. I love being able to run Linux on just about any computer no matter how old or young. I love the freedom to be able to do what i want when i want. Also being a person who lives with his parents and has no permanent job with income yet... not having to pay for most of it is a big plus. ;). Also i love using a powerful command line to be able to perform tasks quickly.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer Windows over Linux, but the only reason why is because most programs I use aren't compatible with Linux. If I ever find out how to remove Ubuntu from this computer, I'm most likely going to start using Xubuntu or Fedora.

Years ago I had Linux SUSE on my computer. I was all slick and managed to set the machine up for dual booting. At start up I'd pick which system to use. I didn't care much for the Linux and eventually uninstalled it. BIG MISTAKE! Since I had it set to dual boot, it took several Windows files with it. I ended up having to do a full Windows reinstall!

Years ago I had Linux SUSE on my computer. I was all slick and managed to set the machine up for dual booting. At start up I'd pick which system to use. I didn't care much for the Linux and eventually uninstalled it. BIG MISTAKE! Since I had it set to dual boot, it took several Windows files with it. I ended up having to do a full Windows reinstall!

It's generally a good idea to keep a windows repair disk encase you run in to a problem like that. I made one before installing Wubi.

• Brohoof 1

Well I've only really bothered using Windows, I never really used Linux, I've heard its cool and stuff, but I'm just so comfortable with windows thats it hard for me to really say I'd use it. or anything other then windows to be honest. I've heard its got some cool stuff but again I don't know.

I've only really seen Mac Os, and I'm not sure I'm really interested in much of the things of the actual OS as more the programs they have, Mac has some pretty cool programs for different things. And I guess since its not extremely used it isn't as prone to viruses, I guess Linux would probably fall into that kinda category to.

But I mean overall I'm just so used to Windows, and being such a routine person I don't know if I'd be very open to switch to anything else.

However I've not used the other Os's really, so I can't say windows is the best or something, however I will say that I do prefer it since I've used it so much :P. Nothing wrong with the other Os's the main thing is the fact Windows doesn't have really any compatibility issues, where as Linux and Mac can cause some troubles for me like when trying to play games especially, and being a gamer thats a pretty important thing for me :P.

They all have their own pros and cons though, I'm just a windows user and will probably stay that way atleast a good while :P.

Edited by Zygen

It's generally a good idea to keep a windows repair disk encase you run in to a problem like that. I made one before installing Wubi.

I know that now!

:)

The bottom drawer of my desk contains nothing but the Windows 7 recovery discs (Four of 'em!) I made as soon as this computer was set up. It's quite literally the first thing I did with it!

the amount of times i have heard this argument is mind boggling. but there is no "true one" OS , each operating system caters to a certian kind of person. if you try to argue graphics or speed your talking out your flank those depend on your computer and how you set it up. plus the look of  system can be changed. what it boils down to is what you need.

im not compairing everything or ill be here all day im just putting in noteable features (gaming is not a feature it is what your computer can handle accept in the case of linux working cross  platform.)

mac for the person who wants a computer to browse around on and never have anything go wrong along with easy access to professional music and media creation without fiiddling to much with software to get stuff working.

windows or those who want a easy to manage os with ease of use and little  knowledge needed about computers with a need for some customizability also a every day working computer that the majority of people know how to use.

and linux  for those who know about computers and need a extreeemly customizable platform.

i use ubuntu because of the allowing of editing and customizing with ease of use that is allowed and lack of fiddling i dont usually like  to put up with on a daily basis. 

there is steam for linux

steam=team fortress 2

team fortress 2=hat

hat=win

win=winrar

winrar=peazip

pea=peashooter

peashooter=planetVsZombie

i like potatatatatato

That's nice you have one great FPS that Linux now has. How about the other hundreds of other games that Linux doesn't support? if you try to say Wine can run then I will point out the major performance issues that comes with it.

I see the computational religous war is going on here so why not throw some gas on the fire in the hopes of putting it out? Wall o' text incomming

Before getting to my personal best, I'd like to mention my personal worst being good ol' OS X. Made by a company I despise and on hardware that's either anemic or needs to be outright replaced every 5 years, it starts off of the line a lap behind. Throw in a universal menu bar and a dock that I don't much care for along with not bloody deleting files off of a flash drive but instead putting them in a .trash folder ON THE ****ING DRIVE when I do inevitably delete them and ultimately finding no real use for it, I have no reason to use nor like it.

On the same token I despise Windows 8, mainly because they've made the interface about as fast to navagate as molasses in Antartica. Control panel is part of the applications list. General PC Settings is comprised of not a control panel. Numerous clicks and 2 restarts to access the UEFI instead of oh I don't know, PRESSING ****ING F2 LIKE A NORMAL PC. The audacity to say that "we killed the start button" while numerous people are complaining about the lack of it and the fact that people modded one in. Lastly, the idea of using the search bar to find things. In and of itself, I don't have an issue with it but when I google how to do x and the first thing is to search for it, I have to wonder why they went through the effort of even designing a GUI and not just having a giant friggin search box with a start bar for tray icons.

Windows 7 (AKA Windows Vista: Working Drivers Edition) Is good. Not my favorite OS but it is a good version of Windows. Stable. Snappy even by today's standards. Still a bit of malware to worry about but safe computing habits largely mitigate it and for the most part it works. I've been using it as a daily driver for the majority of the 4 years I've been using it as being a PC gamer nearly requires it given that I'm running AMD hardware which brings me to my favorite OS out there.

That's right, Good ol' fashion GNU/Linux. Specifically Linux Mint with KDE and that's only because I'm waiting for OpenSuSE 12.3. Either way, I've had nothing but a good experience with Linux Mint. It's always just worked and has suited most of my needs however, as I've noted, my main PC is running on AMD hardware and to be more specific, an AMD GPU. Now, support simply isn't as good as it should be. As in, the drivers are a bit wonky but I don't mind too much as my main PC runs Win7. My spare Intel rig however, doesn't have these issues as Intel is excellent at providing open source drivers. More importantly, the KDE project understands that Tablets and Laptops/Desktops are 2 different paradigms and really should have different GUIs so I get a more traditional Windows like UI with some fancy features. I like the way Linux handles software installs in that I rarely have to go to www.freewarezborkyourpc.cc to get software and the stuff I do get from the web is in a .run format so I can install it on any distro with no additional software. There are some coveats. Apparently people are still having audio issues, myself included. Audio over HDMI simply ain't happening for me and I'm not entirely sure why though analogue audio still works. I'll just blame PulseAudio even though its really ALSA. A bit of a irk but it was through a monitor anyways so not a real loss. There still isn't a whole lot of professional content creation software either. The only big one I can think of is Lightworks, and that is a professional video editor that's still in alpha iirc. But as my bases are covered anyways by the open source tools available this doesn't affect me and if I really have to, there's always Wine. Now that there is Steam for linux, I can finally move into linux as it does everything I require it to and then some. Still gonna wait for Haswell though.

TL:DR Chalk me up for a linux vote.

I put Ubuntu on my netbook after I killed it, the only gripe I have is that it's complex.  Some things have to be installed via command line, many apps don't have an installer.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello and bro hood to all! /)

What do you guys/gals like better? Macs, or PCs? And for what reason?

I am more of a Mac man myself. I like  it because of the slim look, and the apps that you can download on it.

So what do you guys like more and why? Tell me in the comments below!

/)

I don't really like macs. I'm more of a PC kind of person. Apple products are just too overpriced and usually not worth it. Macs do about the same thing as a PC, just is more user-friendly.

The question doesn't make any sense.

Macs are PCs.

PC = Personal Computer.

Mac is an operating system that can be loaded onto any personal computer.

• Brohoof 2

I have to say im absolutely on the PC side, even when I think the Mac tech (in terms of software) is a very good option for certain kind of users and here are my points.

• PC's let me do whatever I want with them, im not limited 
  • I like to use the software I want not the one a brand tells me too
  • Mac tech is just stupidly expensive, as an example I have the same tech of the highest tier mack book pro on my laptop for half the price
  • FUCK ITUNES, just like that
  • Truth is "multimedia-developers" kind of users has the best option in a Macintosh 
  • Just as Steve Jobs was the corporate desitions that afect the consumer are too tight leaving almost no freedom to the user.
  • Yes Im writing this from a Lynux OS
  • As a developer It just sucks to work on the IOs dev environment, like 4 real
  • Lets be truth again must people buys a Mac because it gives status
  • Android > IOS 

I LOVE MAC

Reasons are as follows:

-Apple products can do EVERYTHING a windows machine can do

-Apple products offer more things to do on their machines

-Apple builds BOTH software and hardware, so there is NO confusion when building the device

-^Because of the reason above, this makes customer service 20% better (or more)

-Apple products tend to last longer because of their high quality

-Apple products have better protection from viruses already built into them

-Apple products are consistent, so if you want to switch from one device to another it is very simple

-Apple products are able to start up as soon as you open the box

-Because of things like iTunes and the App store, there are infinite possibilities of games, music, shows, and more that are easily accessible and SAFE (Must be checked by Apple authorities before sale) No other device has access to iTunes/App store/etc.

-Apple products are EASY (Super user friendly- my grandpa can use an iPad)

-Apple products look sleek and have a beautiful, well-thought out design

The list goes on and on, but I think you see my point img-1359811-1-tongue.png

Anyway sorry for the rant, but I totally vote for Apple. (I'm typing this on a Mac laptop right now) I get frustrated using anything else, but that may be because I've been using Mac all my life img-1359811-2-huh.png

Edited by Love*Potion
  • Brohoof 2

I really like this channel, rather funny and informative.

I prefer PC, I actually hate Apple for the most part.

You can do so much more with a PC.

Edited by T-90мс Тагил
  • Brohoof 2

-Apple products can do EVERYTHING a windows machine can do

-Apple products offer more things to do on their machines

-Apple products are able to start up as soon as you open the box

-Because of things like iTunes and the App store, there are infinite possibilities of games, music, shows, and more that are easily accessible and SAFE (Must be checked by Apple authorities before sale) No other device has access to iTunes/App store/etc.

4254484371_fluttershy_ORly_answer_5_xlar

Macs can do everything and more than PCs can?  Really?  

How do you access your registry (on PC it's a program called Regedit)?

Where's your image editing software?  Oh yes, there isn't one pre-installed on Macs.  Most of the free ones on the internet aren't very good.  PC has Paint; not perfect, but pretty good.

Where are the Mac program files?  They're hard to find and I believe they don't show as much...

What about all that PC only freeware?

Oh, and you mentioned gaming?  Surely you're joking.  Unless your idea of a great game is Angry Birds, no, Macs have a far inferior selection.

Of course, we should all leave this thread before the Linux people storm in and crash our debate, laughing at us underbeings.

• Brohoof 5

Uh oh its another one of these threads... *hides under umbrella*

But anyway both Mac's and PC's have their advantages and disadvantages. PC's are a more open system that are cheaper to upgrade and give you more power over your hardware, Mac's have great design and tend to have some nice features that make them unique. This is speaking of the whole package and not just OS wise. One of the problems with many of these MAC vs PC disccusions is that they seem to be actually a Windows vs OSX debate. You can run Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and BSD on both platforms.

I prefer PC's due to that open nature and power to control with ease.

OS wise i prefer GNU/Linux systems because they are fun and give me power over my PC.

• Brohoof 4

-Apple products are consistent, so if you want to switch from one device to another it is very simple

I dont like to counter post but I just hate Macs politics too much to let this past. 

Can you charge your Iphone5 with your old charger?

How can you access the files of your mobile devices to just move from one place to another?

Sorry for doing this rly

Edited by Colt

ubuntu 12.10 PC is the superior choose because:

• open source and fully customizable
  • you can upgrade individual hardware when it gets outdated, not buy an entire new computer (desktop only tho)
  • Everything is a free download
  • only 48 viruses exist and each one has to be given specific permission to fuck up your computer
  • More customizable GUI
  • Far superior SSD load levelling
  • faster boot times
  • more individually customizable computers that meet your specific needs rather than a generic set of needs
  • better graphics
  • tf2 butt penguin

Well for gaming purposes, I prefer my home-built PC. I'm not sure if you can build a Mac the same way you can build a PC, but I'd imagine it would be pricey.

img-1359872-1-4254484371_fluttershy_ORly

Where's your image editing software?  Oh yes, there isn't one pre-installed on Macs.  Most of the free ones on the internet aren't very good.  PC has Paint; not perfect, but pretty good.

Where are the Mac program files?  They're hard to find and I believe they don't show as much...

Oh, and you mentioned gaming?  Surely you're joking.  Unless your idea of a great game is Angry Birds, no, Macs have a far inferior selection.

Of course, we should all leave this thread before the Linux people storm in and crash our debate, laughing at us underbeings.

img-1359872-1-4254484371_fluttershy_ORly

*sarcasm mode activate* but battlefield 3 runs at a much higher framerate using an uncooled integrated graphics unit, and .exe files are so much harder to use than .jar archives