• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

I'm a Linux guy so I sit on the PC end of the spectrum.

I like having access to both the hardware level and software level of my computer. I consider the computer more of a toy to experiment with rather than a tool to be maintained with absolute stability. If I wanted it to be stable, I'd just install debian on a heavily researched build and be done with it.

I just can't feel comfortable with the mac interface. Sure you could probably get used to it, but I never did after a year of being forced to use mac computers in high school.

I really like the unix directory structure, that's one thing Apple has over Microsoft, but I don't really like the UI or some of the really license encumbered software.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

The physical design of Macs I love, but I feel like more things are compatable for windows. I just wish Dell or someone would implement the air vents in the screen onto their PC, then I'd never consider getting a Mac.

I think maybe the ONLY reason I'd ever get a Mac is so I can get Final Cut Pro

How do you access your registry (on PC it's a program called Regedit)

Why would you want to fuck with your registries in the first place? Edited by Betez

We already had a Triple-Threat Match between the three major operating systems, so I merged your thread with the older one.

How do you access your registry (on PC it's a program called Regedit)?

I normally steer away from these threads because I've been in >9000 of them before. This is hardly a novel topic.

All I wanted to say is that the Registry is something specific to Windows, and it's a buggy POS that causes at least as much harm as it provides convenience. Apple's OSX is a flashy derivative of BSD UNIX, which is modular. In short, it does away with that single point of failure and is the primary reason why OSX and Linux are so much more stable, and also more customizable in the case of Linux.

Edited by Artemis

Why would you want to fuck with your registries in the first place?

I've done it a handful of times.  Most of them involved installing complex games (which wouldn't, I suppose, be a problem for Mac).

All I wanted to say is that the Registry is something specific to Windows, and it's a buggy POS that causes at least as much harm as it provides convenience. Apple's OSX is a flashy derivative of BSD UNIX, which is modular. In short, it does away with that single point of failure and is the primary reason why OSX and Linux are so much more stable, and also more customizable in the case of Linux.

That explains it.

Still, Macs offer far fewer ways to manipulate hardware/the under-the-hood side of software.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to do something with Linux or Ubuntu, but I don't know anything about them, and I doubt I could set them up. I know next to nothing about computer hardware, so Windows it is.

I personally prefer osx or linux. I find the interface very fluid and efficient to use, and it is excellent for music production. As well as being very stable and capable. I have a mid 2007 model 13" macbook, with core 2 duo, and 2gb ram, and it runs like brand new. I grew up using windows, but every time I try to do something on a pc now I just get frustrated... 

post-10241-0-36234600-1365671775_thumb.png

So somepony resurrected this thread.

I use Linux in my PC. The first reason why I use Linux is because it's free. Please understand. I'm just a poor student and I need a computer to work with everyday. I can't even afford Windows. Do you think I will use Mac? Hay no. :lol:

Another thing is that Linux is very stable, and uses less computer resource. My study is computer networking and programming, and Linux is (probably) the best OS for those activities, especially for learning (so if you say Mac is better because it has better IDEs, I can give you the reason. Learning with IDEs isn't good). I was confused when I first used it though, but later I found out that Linux has a good system. The security, performance, stability, and flexibility are awesome. Now Linux's un-user-friendliness isn't a big problem for me.

I hear a lot of people say that Mac and Linux have no viruses. A lot of problems caused on PCs are virusses install through your flash plugin. If you can disable it, nice, or get an addon for Google Chrome to turn them into click to load. It will make your machine a lot safer.

I LOVE MAC

Reasons are as follows:

-Apple products can do EVERYTHING a windows machine can do

Not true, quite the contrary really. When it comes to programs available to use and general functionality and customization, Windows has more.

-Apple products offer more things to do on their machines

Well, again, not true, same reason as above.

-Apple builds BOTH software and hardware, so there is NO confusion when building the device

This is a common argument Mac users use when they want to say Mac runs better, but it is flawed. The computer itself, the hardware (Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, harddisk or SSD and so on) is not very different from any hardware you could have on a PC. Really, the only difference is that Apple overprices their hardware like a madman even when the hardware isn't any better than what you could buy in a PC.

-^Because of the reason above, this makes customer service 20% better (or more)

I don't really see why that would make customer service better. I have heard that Apple's customer service is quite nice but I fail to see how that makes Mac a better OS and it's not like other electronics companies have worse customer service.

-Apple products tend to last longer because of their high quality

I have yet to see a Mac that has held longer than any PC. I don't see a reason why they would last longer, since the hardware is essentially the same as the hardware you could get on a Windows PC.

-Apple products have better protection from viruses already built into them

Haha, lol no, the only reason Macs rarely gets viruses is because most computers run Windows so viruses are mostly made for Windows.

-Apple products are consistent, so if you want to switch from one device to another it is very simple

That's not different from Windows though. With Windows 8 it is very easy to sync between your Windows PC, your Surface tablet and your Windows Phone.

-Apple products are able to start up as soon as you open the box

From what I've seen of Macs from people at my school, it takes AGES to boot up a Mac. Windows 8 though? Takes less than 30 seconds. I can even boot up my desktop with Windows 8 on an SSD in less than 15 seconds.

-Because of things like iTunes and the App store, there are infinite possibilities of games, music, shows, and more that are easily accessible and SAFE (Must be checked by Apple authorities before sale) No other device has access to iTunes/App store/etc.

Err, you can easily get iTunes on a Windows, I have it myself. I'll give you that the app store is the largest mobile store on the phone market but we were discussing computer OS's here.

You mentioned games. When it comes to gaming, you definitely want to go with Windows as there are many many good games out there (just look on Steam) that is not compatible with Mac (such as TES: Skyrim or the new BioShock, just to name some).

-Apple products are EASY (Super user friendly- my grandpa can use an iPad)

I would say that Windows 8 is just as easy to use as a Mac. I just prefer Windows because I am able to customize it myself way more.

-Apple products look sleek and have a beautiful, well-thought out design

This is a matter of opinion, but honestly I find the white/metal colours of the Mac (not just on the outside but also in the interface) to be extremely boring after looking at it for a while. It looks so dull and uninteresting, while when I look at my Windows 8 start screen, I see colours everywhere - actually, I can choose some of the colours myself.

All in all, the only reason I see why people would choose Mac over Windows is because they just prefer the interface of Mac. At that point, the discussion comes down to a "What's your favourite colour?" type of discussion. Debating about such a thing is irrelevant as it is completely and utterly about a personal preference and it is impossible to say objectively "Green is better than blue".

That is my standpoint basically. Whether you like Windows or Mac or if you're one of those Linux users, it all comes down to your personal preference, which just depends on what you do on your computer. I don't think it's possible to objectively say that one OS is better than another.

That's not different from Windows though. With Windows 8 it is very easy to sync between your Windows PC, your Surface tablet and your Windows Phone.

Who uses a Windows phone? Andriod yes, but I only know of one person who had a Windows phone and they were not as impressive as the iPhone.

Also, I just wanted to state that the reasons I listed are why I personally like Apple better. I never said that it was a superior company/product. I believe the reasons I listed about Apple to be true but it is mostly a choice of preference.

One more thing, I am fine with people using different software. In fact, I am glad! Different software gives different people different ideas, who come up with all kinds of new music, games, movies, apps, and whatever else! I wouldn't want one company to dominate the market- that would be pretty boring (Although it would make things a lot simpler to exchange files and what not wink.png ) I know that the iPhone already dominates, but (in my opinion) it is the best smart phone option out there performance wise.

I didn't know MLP Fourms had it's own mini version of YOSPOS.

I've always run Windows as I'm not very computer literate, but I've been thinking about learning to use Linux.

Who uses a Windows phone? Andriod yes, but I only know of one person who had a Windows phone and they were not as impressive as the iPhone.

Also, I just wanted to state that the reasons I listed are why I personally like Apple better. I never said that it was a superior company/product. I believe the reasons I listed about Apple to be true but it is mostly a choice of preference.

One more thing, I am fine with people using different software. In fact, I am glad! Different software gives different people different ideas, who come up with all kinds of new music, games, movies, apps, and whatever else! I wouldn't want one company to dominate the market- that would be pretty boring (Although it would make things a lot simpler to exchange files and what not img-1361794-1-wink.png ) I know that the iPhone already dominates, but (in my opinion) it is the best smart phone option out there performance wise.

True, Windows Phone's are rare but I suspect that both Windows Phone and the Surface tablet will get more popular in the future.

I think many of your reasons were objective though, mostly the ones about functionality, hardware and customer service. As I wrote in the last bit though, it comes down to personal preference in the end if you look at the devices objectively.

I grew up using windows and always have. I briefly used Mac, but it really didn't give an impression.Then again, I was in elementary school. I'd love to try Mac again. I haven't ever used Linux. I would love to try it given the chance to.

I have an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook Pro.  That's for portability.  As a desktop machine I have a Novatech custom build running three versions of Windows.

EDIT: Did I already post that?  I'm having one of those days!

Edited by ajm

• 1 month later...

2nd gen 2.8 ghz i7

GTX 560M

16 gb of ddr3

256 gb ssd

640 gb hdd

17.3" 1080p 60 hz monitor

Razer blackwiddow ultimate, bags epic, and carcharias.

A bunch of external drives

A crappy second monitor

An apple sticker

(edited)

nothing special just you run of the mill Dell inspiration desktop With a Pentium duel core processor and 3 gigs of ram and on board graphics. Although I did Pick up a cheap Galaxy Nvida 620 for it which at least adds some graphics muscle to it.

http://faxo.com/galaxy-geforce-gt-620-2gb-ddr3-pci-express-20-graphics-card-24941

Edited by buster500

THIS IS EVERY SINGLE SPEC ON MY PC/LAPTOP

• Manufacturer:Razer Inc.
  • Part Number:RZ09-0071
General
  • Packaged Quantity1
  • System TypeNotebook
  • OS ProvidedMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
  • Notebook typeGaming ,
    HD display,
    Desktop replacement
Processor / Chipset
  • CPUIntel 2nd Gen Core i7,
    2 i7-2640M / 2.8 GHz
  • Max Turbo Speed3.5 GHz
  • Number of CoresDual-Core
  • 64-bit ComputingYes
  • ChipsetMobile Intel HM65 Express
Memory
  • RAM8 GB
  • TechnologyDDR3 SDRAM
  • Speed1333 MHz
Storage
  • Floppy DriveNone
  • Hard Drive256 GB SSD
  • InterfaceSerial ATA-600
  • Storage RemovableNone
  • Hard drive typeSolid state
Display
  • Type17.3 in
  • LCD Backlight TechnologyLED backlight
  • Max Resolution1920 x 1080 ( Full HD )
  • WidescreenYes
  • Image Aspect Ratio16:9
  • FeaturesLED-backlit
Audio & Video
  • Graphics ProcessorNVIDIA GeForce GT 555M / Intel HD Graphics 3000 - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
  • Video System FeaturesNVIDIA Optimus
  • CameraYes
  • Resolution2 Megapixel
  • SoundMicrophone,
    Stereo speakers
  • Compliant StandardsDolby Home Theater v4
Input
  • TypeKeyboard,
    Touchpad
Communications
  • WirelessBluetooth 3.0,
    802.11n
  • Network InterfaceGigabit Ethernet
Battery
  • Installed Qty1
  • Capacity60 Wh
AC Adapter
  • Output120 Watt
Connections & Expansion
  • SlotsMemory
  • Interfaces2 x USB 2.0,
    USB 3.0,
    HDMI,
    LAN,
    Headphone/microphone combo jack
  • Interfaces1 x USB 3.0 - USB 3.0,
    2 x USB 2.0 - USB 2.0,
    1 x Ethernet - RJ-45,
    1 x Microphone/Headphone,
    1 x HDMI
Software
  • Software IncludedRazer Synapse 2.0
MiscellaneousDimensions & Weight
  • Width16.8 in
  • Depth10.9 in
  • Height0.9 in
  • Weight6.4 lbs
  • Brohoof 1

Mine is fairly decent :3 

558153_585884654756527_599108349_n.jpg

Built it late last year and am still in the process of upgrading it tongue.png

Specs: 

CPU: AMD FX 4300 Quad @ 3.80GHz

RAM: x2 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1333MHz

GPU: Core Edition XFX AMD Radeon HD 6570 2GB

MoBo: ASUS M5A-78m LX plus 760G

PSU: Ultra LSP600 600 Watt

HDD: x2 1TB Hard Drives

Case: Sentey Abaddom Mid Tower

It get's the job done for now tongue.png

I have a decent rig, gonna get it upgraded with a TV card, second monitor, mechanical keyboard and new mouse in the future. Along with other accessories.

The specs of Segregate (name of my computer) in a nutshell:

Case

• NZXT Full Tower Phantom 820 Black Matte Casing

Operating System

•     Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

•     Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz
  •     Bloomfield 45nm Technology

RAM

•     12.0 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (10-11-11-28)

Motherboard

•     Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD5 (Socket 1366)

Graphics

•     BenQ GL2440H (1920x1080@60Hz)
  •     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

Hard Drives

•     932GB (1TB) Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA)
  •     233GB (250GB) Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SSD)

Optical Drives

•     DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
  •     DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
  •     HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 ATA Device
  •     HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device

Audio

•     Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

PSU

• 750 W PSU (Forgot brand/model)

Here's a pic of the sexy case, not mine, but close enough:

Phantom820b.jpg

(edited)

I got a custom built gaming PC as an 18th birthday present from my parents in December 2012. I love it wub.png 

Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
CPU: Intel i5 3470 @ 3.2GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX

RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis @ 1866MHz
Graphics Card: 2GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 Ti
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 32MB Cache @ 7200RPM
Optical Drive: Sony 24X Dual Layer DVD Writer
Power Supply: 450W Quiet 80 Plus PSU
Extras: Internal 51-in-1 Card Reader.
             Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E Card.
             Total of 6 case/CPU fans.

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

(edited)

My PC is a 2004 Compaq Presario v2000, still running very well. The specs?

106865-hp-compaq-presario-v2000-turion.j

Windows XP Professional SP3

1GB of RAM

40GB HDD

1.4GHz processor

When running many programs at a time, the virtual memory gets low.

Edited by Raymond

I have two computers. A Macbook Pro and a Dell Inspiron

MacBook Pro 2012

Processor  2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Serial Number  C1MHQ9CZDTY4

Software  OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

Built-in Color LCD Display

13-inch (1280 x 800)

Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB graphics

Hardrive Storage: 750 GB SATA Disk

Memory: 1600 MHz DDR3 memory module. 8GB 

Two USB Ports

Built-in SD Card Reader

Built-in Webcam

Wi-Fi Enabled

Processor Speed: 2.9 GH

2007 Dell Inspiron 1720

CPU 
2.2-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 Operating System MS Windows Vista Home Premium
RAM 
2GB
RAM Upgradable to 
4GB
Hard Drive Speed 
5,400rpm
Display Size 
Native Resolution 
1920x1200
Optical Drive 
DVDRW Dual Layer
Optical Drive Speed 
8X
Graphics Card 
Nvidia GeForce Go 8600M GT
Video Memory 
256MB
Wi-Fi 
802.11n
Bluetooth 
Bluetooth 2.0
Ports (excluding USB) 
Ethernet; Firewire; Headphone; Microphone; Modem
USB Ports 
Card Slots 
8-1 card reader; ExpressCard

(edited)

I hate this fucking computer. I've poured way too much money into it, I wish the friggin cpu would just die already. I've replaced the motherboard 4 times. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of yet and then have the money to forklift when the time comes.

CPU: intel core 2 quad 2.33ghz

Storage: 2x500gb 7200rpm SATA 2 HDD 120GB sata 3 (running 2.0) SSD

RAM: 8gb DDR3 1333

GPU: Radeon HD 5770

Monitor: 21.5 widescreen 1080p LED monitor

Edited by Guest