• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

On 1/9/2020 at 2:56 AM, Booker said:

Ah. My current piece of junk.

It's a Dell Inspiron 530s with the original garbage 250W power supply (almost certainly nowhere near that anymore), the terrible motherboard, and the awful case with bad airflow, no fan mounting points, and it can only take low profile graphics cards. I'm planning on just gluing some fans to the case to improve airflow.

Nvidia GeForce GT 710 (1GB version)

Intel Pentium E2160 (65W dual core CPU at a blistering 1.8 GHz). I was planning on upgrading to a Core 2 Quad Q8200s, but it apparently isn't compatible with the motherboard (thanks, Dell). The Q9400 is cheap and is supposedly verified to work in this specific PC, but it's a 95W CPU, and I'm worried that the old power supply can't handle that in addition to the graphics card, and it's really not a good enough computer to justify spending that much more money. At that point I might as well just build a good PC from scratch.

A 120GB Crucial SSD and two 500GB laptop hard drives that I had lying around.

And a USB Bluetooth adapter.

But hey, at least the monitor is okay. It's a Sceptre 20 inch 1600 x 900 monitor with 5ms of response time, and it's 75Hz. I bought it when I got my Xbox, and it's actually really good for the $60 I paid for it. Someday when I get an okay PC (or upgrade the CPU in this one), I'll see what a screen above 60Hz looks like for the first time, and I'm somewhat excited for it.

Why dont you just buy a new case for it? Cheap DIY pc cases can be had for VERY cheap and are still much better than stock cases. For instance something like this (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353049?Description=diy pc case&cm_re=diy_pc_case-_-11-353-049-_-Product) can be had for only 23 plus a lil tax and it'll beat the hell out of an oem case! 

Heck back before I did a complete rebuild of my pc I actually swapped a dell XPS 8700 motherboard inside a custom case! All I really had to do was to figure out the pin diagram and you're golden! 

In fact to help you even further here is a front panel connector layout for you!  

If that happens to be wrong you can usually find the power switch by just poking at the pins with a screwdriver until the system powers on! Cause basically the power switch on a power supply works by completing the circuit and that's pretty much it. 

Whatever you decide to do good luck! <3 

tech4allmen_19.jpg

On 1/7/2020 at 3:26 AM, Aangel Dust said:

My new (actually kind of budget now that I think about it) computer:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3gb

Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD (That's it for now)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (So I can scale other parts up later, now it's just something to get by with)

RAM: 2 8GB Sticks (Ballistix brand, but not sure exactly what they are)

I see you're also stuck with the gtx 1060 3gb! Not a bad lil card but damn it's holding my ryzen 7 back a lot in what it's capable of. If only good video cards did not cost as much as beater cars! :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 2

On 6/30/2018 at 1:41 AM, Lord Valtasar said:

its ready to fall appart but it does its job for now

Processor:AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 4200+ 2.20 GHz
Graphics card: Nvidia Gforce GTX 260
RAM: 3gb
HDD: 1tb

Time for a bit of an upgrade perhaps? 

• Brohoof 2

43 minutes ago, Blivy said:

I see you're also stuck with the gtx 1060 3gb! Not a bad lil card but damn it's holding my ryzen 7 back a lot in what it's capable of. If only good video cards did not cost as much as beater cars! :ButtercupLaugh:

Yeah he only spent $300 on this thing. :sealed: Still a solid machine though, especially for how much he actually spent on it (some of it is hodge-podged from his younger brother's older parts, some of it was ordered online).

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Aangel Dust said:

Yeah he only spent $300 on this thing. :sealed: Still a solid machine though, especially for how much he actually spent on it (some of it is hodge-podged from his younger brother's older parts, some of it was ordered online).

WOW, considering that Gtx cards even the 3 gb editions go for over 200 still that sounds like a KILLER deal! :Pharynx:

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Blivy said:

Why dont you just buy a new case for it? Cheap DIY pc cases can be had for VERY cheap and are still much better than stock cases. For instance something like this (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353049?Description=diy pc case&cm_re=diy_pc_case-_-11-353-049-_-Product) can be had for only 23 plus a lil tax and it'll beat the hell out of an oem case!

I would, but it doesn't feel right spending any more money upgrading a computer that's over ten years old and has questionable hardware compatibility. I could buy a really good case and swap out the internals when I buy parts for a new PC, but I don't have the money for that yet.

Or, I do have another junker Dell case (this one's even older; the most recent CPU it can take is dual core) that I could try to use. At least that one has a mounting point for a fan and a bunch more internal space.

• Brohoof 1

I am still stuck with the same specs as before, but with a new Wifi USB dongle.... And it has given me trouble to access the rest of the computers over the home network (even denies accessing my own computer over \\ path... Access denied :Cozy:). At least internet works! :awwthanks:

On 1/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, Splashee said:

I am still stuck with the same specs as before, but with a new Wifi USB dongle.... And it has given me trouble to access the rest of the computers over the home network (even denies accessing my own computer over \\ path... Access denied :Cozy:). At least internet works! :awwthanks:

SPLASH, your computer is ancient, you REALLLYYYY need to build you a new one! 

On 1/20/2020 at 3:30 PM, Booker said:

I would, but it doesn't feel right spending any more money upgrading a computer that's over ten years old and has questionable hardware compatibility. I could buy a really good case and swap out the internals when I buy parts for a new PC, but I don't have the money for that yet.

Or, I do have another junker Dell case (this one's even older; the most recent CPU it can take is dual core) that I could try to use. At least that one has a mounting point for a fan and a bunch more internal space.

Do what I did buy a case for it swap out parts then first buy ssd, new video card etc, then eventually go all out and buy a new motherboard CPU etc! 

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see:

Custom Build
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600+
RAM: 32GB DDR4
STORAGE: 17TB (1 SSD, 3 HDD)
OPTICAL: 1 MultiDrive w/ Blu-Ray Reader, 2 DVD-CDR/W Drives
GRAPHICS: AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, I have a semi-decent computer. It certainly feels responsive.

CPU: i5-3570

RAM: 8GB 1600MHz (1x4GB + 2x2GB for some odd reason)

Boot drive: 120GB Crucial BX500 SSD

Extra storage: 500GB Western Digital laptop hard drive that I had lying around

GPU: GT 710 (1GB)

And activated Windows 10 (that feels nice to have back). This computer actually runs really well for the price I paid for it. I miss hyperthreading and the GT 710 isn't the best, but the PSU has some room to play in terms of wattage, and if I get an RX 580 or something, then whenever I build a new PC I can just re-use the GPU and save some money. I'll probably do that at the end of the year or something, since I've got other things to save up for first.

Edited by Booker
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
(edited)

i got a new pc after saving up for a while and i've been loving it so much

CPU: i7-9700KF

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB), 3200MHz DDR4

GPU: RTX 2080 Super

Storage: 512GB M.2 SSD | 2TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk

its nice being able to play games on settings higher than the lowest, even if i'm just playing overwatch, league and the sims lol

Edited by Mini
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Here's my thinkin' machine:

CPU: Intel Core-i7 8700 (3.20GHz, 6 cores, 12MB cache)

Graphics: NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (6GB VRAM)

Memory: 16GB RAM, two 8GB modules.

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD and a recycled 1TB HDD from an old laptop.

Motherboard: MSI MORTAR Z370M

Monitors: two HP 27-inch Ultra-Slim 1080p monitors and a 1366x768 monitor I have mounted on the wall using a recycled display from an old laptop.

Other stuff:

It's pretty silent, it's not very pretty but it has two white glowing fans, guess that's pretty cool, there's also a wireless WiFi and Bluetooth card since I want some bluetooth and I'm nowhere near an Ethernet point, I also have an Anidees RGB keyboard.

Edited by TJT02

My computer specs are basically the same as last time, with one big difference. Now it has a GPU in it that costs more than $30.

CPU: i5-3570

RAM: 8GB 1600MHz (still in that weird 1x4GB + 2x2GB config. It works just fine, so I'll probably never change it)

Boot drive: 120GB Crucial BX500 SSD (I need to upgrade to an SSD that has DRAM at some point. It feels like sitting on a ticking time bomb)

Extra storage: 500GB Western Digital laptop hard drive (hey, it was lying around doing nothing, so why not)

GPU: RX 560 4GB

The RX 560 is a standard profile card, but my computer uses an SSF case. I had to carve up the side panel to make it fit, but the computer itself cost me less than $60, so it's no big deal. Now it can actually run games, which is exciting.

(edited)

Got a pretty solid mid-range PC I built back in January last year.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 @ 3.4GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3GB VRAM)
SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Motherboard: Asus Strix B250F
Monitors: 24" Asus VG245H @ 75Hz & 24" Hitachi Full HD TV @ 60Hz both running at 1920 x 1080.

Edited by Prometheus
  • Brohoof 1

Main computer:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.6 GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (soon to be 16 GB)
GPU: [Integrated] Intel HD Graphics 4400
HDD: 1TB  Toshiba SATA 6.0 Gb/s
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H (Rev. 1.0)

I might consider getting an external GPU for this PC later. The integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400 runs pretty well on Linux though. It even supports the latest OpenGL with Mesa and it has been very responsive for the things I do.

Old PC:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 HT 651 @ 3.4 GHz
RAM: 1.5 GB DDR 333 MHz
HDD: 61.5 GB IDE
Motherboard: Asrock 775i65gv

No external GPU either (it's using the integrated Intel graphics with 96 MB). I like this one mainly for playing old Windows and DOS games, but I also have it as a secondary PC in case my main computer gets broken or becomes irreparable. It's working fine even to this day.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know the specifics but I've got a MacBook that was made around 2018

Works perfectly, especially if you're having computer problems the only 2 reasons you wouldn't get one is

1. gaming, if you play video games, it simply has to be a pc

2. money - I'd highly recommend saving up for a Mac, if you save up you'll never have to pay the poor mans tax

Plus - no viruses!

• Brohoof 1

This one I'm currently typing on:

Dell Inspiron 5770 notebook, Intel Core i5-8250U CPU 1.6 – 1.8  GHz, 64-bit OS, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 17" screen 1920 x 1080 px, Windows 10 Home, Firefox, iTunes, blah-de-blah-de-blah. :D

I have a second Dell 57xx, very similar but slightly older: I swap usage between them, keep both up to date same files etc. for when I want to swap. Also means one acts as back-up for the other. Currently I'm using the unused one (bad grammar?) to be connected to CCTV (securiy camera) and / or is used for playing music etc.

There's another three notebooks / laptops in the filing cabinet, two have got XP on, one has Vista. The oldest is 2005.

And there's also an iPhone 6 .....

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Splashee said:

Yea, anything Apple is expensive. :worry:

Don't worry about that, I have an easy solution to money problems, just go into your local bank and ask to see where they keep all of their money, but don't forget to bring a gun, for some reason they treat you like a VIP customer when you have one of those on you...? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my computer specs are ! (just recently built one)

Case: NZXT H710

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2060

CPU : Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard : Asus Rog Strix B550-e gaming

power supply evga 850w G2

HDD : Samsung qvo 1tb

Ram : Corsair 32GBS 3600MHZ rgb vengence pro

im planning on upgrading the graphics near the holidays to a 2080 ti

• 3 weeks later...

It's a, uh, pretty bad netbook. 1.1Ghz dual-core CPU, 4Gb of ram, and 32 GB of storage. (Yes, 32. Yes, windows takes up 28+ GB :/   )

I was supposed to upgrade, but that's been pushed back indefinitely.

But it works, I suppose, and that's all I can really ask ^^'

• Brohoof 1