Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you ever be "too old" to watch My Little Pony?

jackleapp81

It is pretty well-documented at this point that males in their late teens to 20's enjoy My Little Pony. This is what people generally think of when they think of a brony. But what about older members of the fandom? And when I say older, I don't mean people in their late 20's or early 30's. I'm talking about people who are 50, 60, or even 70 years old. At what point is someone too old to be a brony?

A common practice amongst bronies is acquiring products (toys, books, etc.) based off of the show. Would you be alright with a 55-year-old man collecting pony merchandise? What about fan-fiction? What if you found out that a 60 year old man wrote your favorite story? Would you be okay with that?

I think these are good questions to ask ourselves. At what point do we bronies cross the line when it comes to the age barrier in our fandom? We have come up plenty of reasons to justify being a brony, despite our age.

Here are a few that I've heard: "The animation is superb!", "There are inside jokes that only an adult would get.", "The characters are surprisingly deep!", "The stories are unique and original". Can an old man use these same justifications to watch and enjoy the show?

The "elder" brony is a rare specimen indeed, and I have only encountered one during two long years of being a brony. He was often referred to as a "weirdo" by his peers, but he gleefully disregarded their comments. He truly did not care what others thought of him. He even admitted to writing a fan-fic or two. This man was 51 years old.

Would it bother you if elderly people started to embrace the fandom? Would you still like the show if your grandma or grandpa enjoyed it too? And I mean enjoying it to the fullest extent. Writing fanfics, posting in forums, collecting the toys, music, dvds, all that good stuff.

I doubt you can ever be too old to watch My Little Pony. People can think what they like but in the end, it all boils down to your interests and tastes.

Edited by Silver Arrow
  • Brohoof 1

I think I merely have to state the fact that John De'Lancy is a brony to get my point on this one across. Your only as old as you feel.

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 8

Huh, I never really thought about that.

I suppose it could be interpreted as really weird, but I mean, if they legitimately like the show for what it is, then I don't see any problem.

But those are just my thoughts.

Not at all. We would be hypocrites if we wouldn't like that. "Normal" people look at us and says that we are too old to watch this, and (most of us) we don't think that. Should we then say that people can be too old to like this? If it is any brony that doesn't like that idea... I don't even know what I would say...

I'm not sure. I mean...for people in their late 20s/early 30s, it's like MLP has just always been around for most/all of our lives, so we've kinda grown up with it. That wouldn't really be the case for someone who's say...67. They would have been kinda old first time around, really.

But whatever...if some old geezer likes watching it, who are we to judge? They must get bored just watching The Golden Girls and eating Wether's Originals all day.

I think I merely have to state the fact that John De'Lancy is a brony to get my point on this one across. Your only as old as you feel.

He truly is an inspirational figure. To me, and probably a lot of other bronies. It takes a lot of guts to side with the bronies, especially if you're as old as he is.

• Brohoof 2

Well, really, your never too old for childhood itself. Some parts, maybe. But we all still like Pokemon, right? We still watch the old shows we used to watch as kids, right? And we still watch MLP, right?

So, no. There's never an age to old to like it. And if people start making fun of you for it, then that's the person who's making fun of you problem. Their the one who's missing out. It's not bad to let the inner child in you out. :) For a 70 year old however, it might be a bit odd. But your still never too old. I'm pretty sure most of us will still rewatch the g4 series when it ends.

And yes,I admit, I might think it'd be a little weird for an elderly person to like it, but then again, it's their choice. I can't stop them, let alone make fun of them for something they like. I mean, if people in their late 20's can like, then so can they. As long as they don't abuse jokes and whatnot. That's when it kinda gets annoying.

This is a pretty interesting thought! :huh: I guess when your a brony, you'll always be a brony. :)

Edited by Pixiesong

I suppose it could be interpreted as really weird,

We're a bunch of 20+ year old guys who enjoy watching a cartoon meant for 5 year old girls with magical and flying ponies that teach you about friendship. Calling someone or something else weird is somewhat ironic, isnt it? :)

Though i do agree on some level. Seeing a 70 year old guy with a fluttershy t-shirt buying pony toys at a store would be quite a wtf sight. But yeah, as you said, if they truly like and watch the show for what it is, i guess there is no age limit on MLP...

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, age is just a state of mind. I still watch a lot of Boomerang and nobody seems to have a problem with that. I think it's because of the show's "good natured" personality that people start to whine about how it's "too immature and childish".

It's actually ironic because Family Guy is considered adult humor when in reality, half the gags in the show such as those awful fart jokes make it way more immature than some of the other programs being aired.

It's really all a matter of opinion and how you perceive yourself and "how old" you seem to be.

I for one wouldn't mind it in the slightest. And there are many reasons why this is something we shouldn't even wonder. For one, WE, bronies, have the mantra of Love and Tolerance and accepting and embracing ANY and WHOEVER came to our fandom (unless they did something really horrible and never apologized or something like that. We all have our limits). This means, regardless of how old you are, you can still be part of it. The important thing is, how they act inside. After that, everything else becomes irrelevant. And this doesn't even apply ONLY to My Little Pony. You can NEVER be too old to do what you like. If you like it, do it/watch it/write it/whatever the buck else. Like Shoboni said, look at John de Lancie. He's 60+ years old and, not only did he participated in the show, but embraced and accepted us all. If he can do it, then everyone else can. Pure and simple.

We consider it weird, because it's not common. But then again, by society, none of us bronies are. Are we gonna deny an old man/woman when they post a really good story/art/music, etc? No, nor should anybody. And besides, if older people, the ones who are normally the wisest and the more mature, can appreciate things like this, then it means a plus for humanity, and if you have a familiar who is into it as well, you gained nother person to talk to about it :) . Something, we all know, many people have trouble finding.

Edited by Arcanel

We're a bunch of 20+ year old guys

I'm 16, homes. Almost 17. But I do see your point.

Though i do agree on some level. Seeing a 70 year old guy with a fluttershy t-shirt buying pony toys at a store would be quite a wtf sight. But yeah, as you said, if they truly like and watch the show for what it is, i guess there is no age limit on MLP...

That would kinda weird me out at first glance. In fact it might weird me out for a while after. But heck, as long as they enjoy the show for it just being a good show, I ain't got any problems. None at all.

I'm 39 as of yesterday and FiM is the first MLP I ever watched. When I was young I watched transformers and got the toys (gen 1), G. I. Joe: A real American hero, and He-Man. I've always liked Loony Toons/Merry melodies (50's and early 60's). When I was older I liked animaniacs. When I was in my 20's I liked the simpsons, king of the hill, sailor moon and futurama (which I still watch). A few years ago i saw MLP:FiM for the first time and fell in love with it. I think you never get too old for cartoons.

• Brohoof 2

Never thought of being too old to like it. Probably not, in my opinion there really isn't an age limit. I wouldn't really care if things that we weren't expecting to be made by elderly bronies, were in deed made by them.

• Brohoof 1

Well, technically it's a show made for all ages, so it wouldn't weird me out at all personally if I knew someone older who watched MLP. And there are people who are in their 40s and older out there who collect toys and stuff, so I think someone that age collecting MLP toys wouldn't really be any different, a hobby is a hobby. :)

I'm 39 as of yesterday and FiM is the first MLP I ever watched. When I was young I watched transformers and got the toys (gen 1), G. I. Joe: A real American hero, and He-Man. I've always liked Loony Toons/Merry melodies (50's and early 60's). When I was older I liked animaniacs. When I was in my 20's I liked the simpsons, king of the hill, sailor moon and futurama (which I still watch). A few years ago i saw MLP:FiM for the first time and fell in love with it. I think you never get too old for cartoons.

This really puts things into perspective for me. I had hoped that when I got older that I might be able to enjoy children's animation, provided that it was of a good enough quality. You are living proof that a cartoon show can be enjoyed by anyone, at any age. Thanks for lending us your insight!

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I would find it awkward if a 70 Year old man was watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and collecting MLP merchandise. But off course it is okay anyway as everyone should get the chance to watch a show this good.

Just watch Bronies React. "The manliest brony in the world".

Well I can honestly say that I fit into this category. (at least the lower part of it)This was something that I was thinking about earlier today and I would like to say that as one of the more elder fans of the show, I don’t believe that age is a factor on being able to enjoy some of the simpler things in life.

I have enjoyed watching shows like this and many others for some time now. I watched them (cartoons in general) when I was young and watched them with my step children as they grew up and I will enjoy watching them for as long as I can. I have been a part of a few fandom's from the Furs to the Treckers over the years.

Will you find me collecting MLP toys? No.

Will I ever go to a convention? No

But what I will collect, is what I hope all of you will collect no matter what fandom you follow is at the end of the day, you will stand back in reflection and say…

"This was a part of me. I watched something that I enjoyed and it made a positive difference in my life."

Even after this show is all said and done. there will come a day when you find yourself looking at that mirror at a 40, 50, 60 year old person and you'll grin from ear to ear knowing that a little pink pony made you smile.

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

Dude I have plans to act like I'm a kid for as long as physically possible...

Soo nope I don't think your ever to old for MLP, or for alot of things really.

When you are too old for mlp, you are too old for life. This or any other show can and should be enjoyed by all age groups.(besides adult shows but that's beside the point)

• 8 years later...