Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favourite quotes.

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I particularly like this quote, because it shows something so obvious that people just can do. But yet they repeat their mistakes and make conflicts over and over again. :(

• Brohoof 4

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Sun-tzu

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"

Pierre Cornellie

" When Gotham is in ashes, you'll have my permission to die"

Bane

"Need a dispenser here!"

Scout

"Are you my mommy?"

Rubberfruit

"I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

Nada in They Live

"I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

Nada in They Live

I was just going to say that. But didn't Duke Nukem say that?

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum."

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I was just going to say that. But didn't Duke Nukem say that?

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum."

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

This came from the movie They Live in 1988, but many people think this came from Duke Nukem as well. So I can see where you got mistaken.

This is what it sounds like in the movie:

And this is the Duke Nukem version:

Do you understand know?

"We die alone, but we live amongst men."

-John Marston, Red Dead Redemption

"I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody."

-Holden Caulfield, Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

-J.D, Salinger

“All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.”

-H.L. Mencken

“Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”

-Oscar Wilde

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

-Alamut by Vladimir Bartol

"Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean that I'm wrong."

-Robert Anton Wilson

"Only the madman is absolutely sure."

-Robert Anton Wilson

"Life is but thought."

-Sara Teasdale

Edited by MelancholicMemory
  • Brohoof 1

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more"

Steve Prefontaine

Edited by Cupcake Ice Cream

"Needless to say, the most judgemental type of person is a teenager." ~from Tycoon's dream-inspired story

"Distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It’s for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time when the one they love. It’s for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don’t see it nearly enough..." ~anonymous

• Brohoof 1

I've got so many of these. I love quotes. I'll try to select only a few...that will be hard though. Disclaimer: I don't actually agree with all of these but I do like them as quotes.

"I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives." -- Molly Ivins

"I cannot think of the deep sea without shuddering at the nameless things that may at this very moment be crawling and floundering on its slimy bed, worshipping their ancient stone idols and carving their own detestable likenesses on submarine obelisks of water-soaked granite. I dream of a day when they may rise above the billows to drag down in their reeking talons the remnants of puny, war-exhausted mankind --of a day when the land shall sink, and the dark ocean floor shall ascend amidst universal pandemonium."- H.P. Lovecraft (I think, but it sounds like something he would say)

The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. - H.P. Lovecraft

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. --George Bernard Shaw

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him." -- Mark Twain

"Faith is to believe what we do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what we believe."- Saint Augustine of Hippo

I may post more later...but I'd prefer not to make the largest collection of quotes here.

Edited by SilverHeart
  • Brohoof 2

"True wisdom lies in knowing, that you know nothing..."

and another favorite;

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because that's what the world needs. People who have come alive."

and another

"A man is free to think himself to be a poached egg, but if he truly believes himself to be a poached egg, he is no longer free to eat, drink, or smoke a cigarette..."

Hopefully there's not a topic like this one, I couldn't find one.

Anyway, tell me what your favourite quotes are, no matter the source. Be it words of wisdom, a hilarious outlook on life, a line from a book/song, whatever you want.

I'll start with a few of mine.

That's from H.P. Lovecraft, and is the first sentence from The Call of Cthulhu.

Now for another Lovecraftian quote.

This line is the final line from Pickman's Model, probably my favourite Lovecraft story, and taken out of context may not mean much, but as the conclusion to the story, it is very powerful and ties up the story perfectly.

Marry me.

I have a whole list written out and a pile on my Kindle, so I'll have to find a way to get it to work so I can show you guys them :P

But one I have learned mostly off by memory is Syme's speech on Newspeak from 1984.

“Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it. Every concept that can ever be needed, will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings rubbed out and forgotten. Already, in the Eleventh Edition, we're not far from that point. But the process will still be continuing long after you and I are dead. Every year fewer and fewer words, and the range of consciousness always a little smaller. Even now, of course, there's no reason or excuse for committing thoughtcrime. It's merely a question of self-discipline, reality-control. But in the end there won't be any need even for that. The Revolution will be complete when the language is perfect. Newspeak is Ingsoc and Ingsoc is Newspeak. Has it ever occurred to you, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?"

• Brohoof 2

''THROW.. THE CHEESE!'' - ASDF MOVIE 4

''I AM CABOOSE. AND I HATE BABIES.'' - Caboose from RvB

''Look at my horse.. My horse is amazing!'' - I have no idea.

''Aww.. You sneeze like a kitten!'' - Mabel from Gravity Falls episode 'Headhunters'

''Hello, I'm the nostalgia critic. I remember it so you don't have to!'' - Nostalgia Critic

''Bow Chicka Bow Wow!'' - Tucker from RvB

Once more I don't actually agree with all of these but still think they are humorous, interesting, nice, or true.

Listen, and understand. Sarah Palin is out there. She can't be bargained with. She can't be reasoned with. She doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And she absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

"So, we're making a movie about the eternal Scottish warrior. We've cast Sean Connery. What part can we possibly find for Sean in our film about the eternal Scottish warrior? I know, let's have him play the Spanish guy. Then we can give him dialog like 'I know nothing of your land, Shcotland, for I am a Shpaniard. What ish haggish? I enjoy a nishe 'pie-ella', myshelf.' It'll be perfect, and we can cast the farking Belgian as the hero.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Young knight, learn to always honour women, and love God, so increase your honour. Practice chivalry and learn arts which improve you and in the battle bring honour. Wrestle well, understand the lance, spear and sword, and use the knife like a man. -- Johannes Liechtenauer

If you think the pen is mightier than the sword, you don't have enough swords.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

"Just between you and me, the guy who killed you was a total dick......disregard this message if you committed suicide." -Hyperion respawn center.

• Brohoof 3

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron from Final Fantasy X

It might seem like a cheesy line, being from a videogame and everything, but I thought it was quite an intense scene.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Eleanor Roosevelt

"An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind."

Buddha

A wise woman once told me this, and to this very day, I live to these guidelines.

"Use the force, Mr. Potter!" -Gandalf the White, James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender

Edited by moT
  • Brohoof 1

Played a bit of Okami yesterday evening (after a whole week of lab work without interruption), and wanted to add a couple of Issun quotes.

First, a more complete version of the "melons" line about priestess Rao.

Issun: "Holy cow, this sister's stacked!"

Rao: "Excuse me? Oh, you've got a cute little fairy with you."

Issun: "The name's Issun! And by the way... It only looks like I'm staring at your melons!"

Rao: "...Melons?"

When Rao is urging Amaterasu to swin faster because they're pursued:

"What'd you expect, babe? Ammy's a wolf, not a speedboat!"

After they almost get gobbled up by the Water Dragon, and end up washing ashore instead:

"Oh cruel world, I'm too young and handsome to die!"

Unrelated:

Edited by Figurehead Uprise

I have alot. And yes, quotations are awesome. These are ALL my mottos.

1. The cake is a lie.

2. v0id st4r zer0.

3. WUBWUBWUB.

4. Centipede-BWAAAAAAA-WAHAAAAAA.

5. Lovin'...Is what I got...

6. HUGGLES!

7. If winning were easy, losers would do it. (saw this one from a sig, can't remember who's it was, sorry.)

8. I believe that I'm awesome, but you look dissatisfied. I'm going to have to ask you to love me, ma'am.

9. Say hello to my little friend!

10. Sit yo' five dolla ass down before I make change!

11. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

12.I don't cry when my dog runs away, I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay...

13. Screw you guys, I'm goin' home!

14. OH MY GOD, THEY'VE KILLED KENNY!

15. I put two plus two plus two together, and it equaled Matilda!

Sorry. Did I get a bit carried away?

My top favorit quots...

Do a barrel roll

Way past cool

I'm waaaaaaaaattttiiinnnggggg

20% cooler

Yay

LOVE ME!!!

It is ON

I just don't know what went wrong

Arrow in the knee

Over all... My favorit it DO a barrel role!

Nothing beats the childhood game starfox 64

"The ends justifies the means."

-Niccolò Machiavelli

"The proletariats have nothing to lose but their chains,"

-Karl Marx

Both quotes by men deemed as evil and devious in their respective societies.

• Brohoof 1

"We must have a foreign policy which is based only on the long-term interests of our race, not on the interest of other races or on economic considerations or anything else." - george lincon rockwell

"Being prepared to die is one of the great secrets of living." - george lincon rockwell

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas." -stalin

"I believe in one thing only, the power of human will." -stalin

"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." - stalin

"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything." - stalin

"one death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic" -stalin

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - mao zedong

"War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun." mao zedong

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one. " - adolf hitler

"Success is the sole earthly judge of right and wrong." - adolf hitler

"The victor will never be asked if he told the truth." - adolf hitler

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." - adolf hitler

"Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice" - adolf hitler

All the quotes comes from controversial men whom are considered as evil by many but they're great quotes.

• Brohoof 1

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken"

And because that's it, here is a picture of pedobear

………………….._,,-~’’’¯¯¯’’~-,,

………………..,-‘’ ; ; ;_,,---,,_ ; ;’’-,…………………………….._,,,---,,_

……………….,’ ; ; ;,-‘ , , , , , ‘-, ; ;’-,,,,---~~’’’’’’~--,,,_…..,,-~’’ ; ; ; ;__;’-,

……………….| ; ; ;,’ , , , _,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯’’~’-,,_ ,,-~’’ , , ‘, ;’,

……………….’, ; ; ‘-, ,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-, , , , , ,’ ; |

…………………’, ; ;,’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-, , ,-‘ ;,-‘

………………….,’-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-‘ ;,,-‘

………………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;__ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,’

………………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’¯: : ’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _ ; ; ; ; ;’,

……………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;| : : : : : ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’¯: ¯’’-, ; ; ;’,

…………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,_: : _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | : : : : : ; ; ; |

……………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,,_ : :,-‘ ; ; ; ;|

…………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-~’’ , , , , ,,,-~~-, , , , _ ; ; ;¯¯ ; ; ; ; ;|

..…………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ , , , , , , ,( : : : : , , , ,’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|

……….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’, , , , , , , , ,’~---~’’ , , , , , ,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,

…….,-‘’ ; _, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’~-,,,,--~~’’’¯’’’~-,,_ , ,_,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,

….,-‘’-~’’,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; | . . . . . . ,’; ,’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,_ ; ‘-,

……….,’ ; ;,-, ; ;, ; ; ;, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ;’, . . . . .,’ ;,’ ; ; ; ;, ; ; ;,’-, ; ;,’ ‘’~--‘’’

………,’-~’ ,-‘-~’’ ‘, ,-‘ ‘, ,,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ‘~-,,,-‘’ ; ,’ ; ; ; ; ‘, ;,-‘’ ; ‘, ,-‘,

……….,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ‘’ ; ; ;’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’-,,_ ; ; ; _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ;’-‘’ ; ; ; ‘’ ; ;’-,

……..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯¯’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,

……,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,

…..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|..’-,_ ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ‘,

….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’’,-~’ ; ; ; ; ; ,’

…,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’~-,,,,,--~~’’’’’’~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…..,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-

…| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘

…’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’….’, ; ; ; ; _,,-‘’

….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’~~’’¯

…..’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;_,,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘

………’’~-,,_ ; ; ; ; _,,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘

………..| ; ; ;¯¯’’’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-‘

………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘

…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|

…………’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ~-,,___ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,

………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘….’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,

………..,’ ‘- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’……….’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,

……….,’ ; ;’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-‘…………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,

………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’…………………’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |

……..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-‘………………………’’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |

……..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…………………………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’

……..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’………………………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’’

……..| ; ; ; ; ; ;,’……………………….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘

……..’,_ , ; , ;,’……………………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘

………’,,’,¯,’,’’|……………………….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘--,,

………….¯…’’………………………..’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~,,

……………………………………………’’-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~-,,

………………………………………………..’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ,,_ ; ;’-,’’-,

…………………………………………………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,__,--.

……………………………………………………’-, ; ; ;,,-~’’’ , ,|, |

………………………………………………………’’~-‘’_ , , ,,’,_/--‘

he he, feel free to brohoof that epicness

• Brohoof 5