Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How open are you about ponies?

Tiaaaaa

I've adopted a sort of military strategy to the whole thing. Since I became a brony in August, I've started using pony memes, quoting phrases and lines here and there in conversation, but without saying where they're from. I've even shared some funny pony pictures and videos with friends. So this is phase 1: wear down their resistance by saturating them with pony cultural references in ordinary conversation. Phase 2 will come soon: coming out and talking about the actual show behind all the references and stuff. :)

I'm pretty open about it. I hide my pony toys from my family (I'd never hear the end of it) but I'm totally open about everything else.

I don't really care that people know, but I'm not going to mention it unless I have a reason to do so. If someone asks why I have a pony as my wallpaper, or the various toys I have around my apartment, I'll tell them about the show and see if I can get them to try it. So far, most people pretend they don't see that stuff and just go on like it's not even there.

A couple of friends at work know, tho the first reaction from the male one was to text me "MLP WTF LOL?!?!?"

I don't think I'm very likely to convert them tho, so don't bombard them with anything other than the odd funny (like Pinkie's Laughing Song which had them in hysterics...I think it was at the song, not me!)

A girl at work yesterday nearly wet herself in excitement when she saw Rarity on top of my computer. She didn't know about FiM, though, she was a big fan of the older generation ponies. I've told her about the current show and she's promised that by next week she'll be able to tell me which is her favourite FiM pony.

Nobody I know in real life knows I'm a brony. Though after reading how public you guys are about it, I think I have enough courage to like the FiM Facebook page. And if anyone bitches about it, I'll love and tolerate the shit out of them.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I just got a huge, heartbreaking rejection: My mother.

I finally showed her the show tonight, and she thought it was too juvenile. We got to Twilight meeting Rainbow Dash, and she called uncle to the point I couldn't carry it on. She couldn't get past the target demographic. Even when I tried to explain the true appeal of the show, she claimed the college-student-35 majority are just immature.

I guess some of the older generation are too stuck in their ways. :mellow: Well, at least she said she's happy it makes me happy. Hopefully the appeal spreads even further and she gives it another shot. She did say to never tell my dad I watch it, though, but I'll just remember when the "What Pinkie Pie's Song Actually Sounded Like" video made him laugh. But seriously, I have to switch to the Johnny Cash Chrome for a while. :ph34r: Maybe I can start working on my sister if I ever go out east.

Edited by Vinyl Scratch

At this point, I don't care who knows I'm a brony. I won't flaunt it around school until I have a shirt for it, but I am putting obvious pony-related art in our Art Festivals. I'm even trying to bring my friends into the herd; so far I'm up to two! ^_^

Even when I tried to explain the true appeal of the show, she claimed the college-student-35 majority are just immature.

I've heard that a number of times myself, and have never really understood the line of reasoning behind it. Is there a specific age at which people are no longer allowed to appreciate things that don't have some degree or another of 'mature' content like violence and/or sex?

Oh well. Her loss, aye? Posted Image

• Brohoof 3

I've heard that a number of times myself, and have never really understood the line of reasoning behind it. Is there a specific age at which people are no longer allowed to appreciate things that don't have some degree or another of 'mature' content like violence and/or sex?

Probably because it's too escapist in the face of what's going on in the country right now. It's actually very sad, considering I think a little pony would go a long way with her outlook right now. I admire all the good in society she stands for, but she can be a bit of downer. She's a realist, and that doesn't blend very well with Equestria.

It helps me deal, though, and she accepts that it does at least. Love and tolerance is the least I could hope for, right? B)

Edited by Vinyl Scratch

It's actually very sad, considering I think a little pony would go a long way with her outlook right now.

A little pony can go a long way!

As far as escapism goes, I'd say that ponies are a much more mature - not to mention infinitely less self-destructive - way to go about it compared to the routes some people decide to take. :blink:

As for myself, I think one the main reasons that I enjoy the whole pony thing so much is because I'm typically a pessimistic realist.

• Brohoof 3

A little pony can go a long way!

As far as escapism goes, I'd say that ponies are a much more mature - not to mention infinitely less self-destructive - way to go about it compared to the routes some people decide to take. :blink:

As for myself, I think one the main reasons that I enjoy the whole pony thing so much is because I'm typically a pessimistic realist.

Oh well. Love and tolerance, right? She showed it to me, so that's something. :lol:

I was initially worried about being open about my Pony fandom to my in-person friends, because there seemed to be a lot of hate for the show on the online forums I usually frequent. Fortunately, it seems my friends are indifferent/tolerant of my Pony obsession, though sometimes I do have to be careful not to constantly talk about ponies (if I'm going to make them Pony fans too I'll have to ease them in carefully).

• Brohoof 2

I think part of the problem is that people don't seem to understand what mature actually means. C.S. Lewis has one of my favorite quotes of all time.

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

• Brohoof 7

Amusingly I am outside the target range for being a brony by that definition also! Heck, I'm old!

I'm pretty open about being a brony. I won't deny being one, but I won't just randomly bring it up in the middle of something (except for maybe a quote, but most people won't know what I mean). And just about everyone who knows me knows that I like the show.

Growing up at school where the only games played are Cod and Halo instead of Nintendo, sega and all the other good game companies. Where people make a racists, and thats what she said joke. Where everyone is really rude and could probably take the risk of punishment and easily bully someone. I really haven't told anyone at school.

Because of my love of internet memes, I was able show my brother and my parents about the My little pony Meme, without them knowing I'm a brony. Needless to say, they all gave it weird looks. At least stop accusing me of being a brony in a hurtful way.

So yeah I'm 100% not open about it.

I watched the show in secret at first, but decided to tell my mom all about it while we were in the car on a trip to Redmond in the summer, where she couldn't run from me. She did seem quite surprised, but refused to reject the show until she had seen it for herself, so I showed her the pilot on my laptop in our hotel room that night.

SHE APPROVED! :D

Ever since then, I've been not only open, but damn proud of my being a brony. Both of my laptops as well as my server have a Twilight Sparkle desktop. I imagine that would get me a lot of hate at school, but because I'm a better student than 90% of my classmates, most of them don't dare to say a word. :lol:

Among my personal friends, I managed to convert one of them and found that another was in the stable. We haven't been successful in converting anyone else yet, but the three of us did once get into a heated debate over whether Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, or Fluttershy was the best pony. A few of our non-brony friends walked in on us, with horrified expressions on their faces.

• Brohoof 2

...the three of us did once get into a heated debate over whether Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, or Fluttershy was the best pony. A few of our non-brony friends walked in on us, with horrified expressions on their faces.

I like this bit, right here. A lot of people get really weirded out by the idea of grown men discussing who the best pony is. It's quite a funny image really. Though the debate is somewhat unnecessary, I mean we already know Twilight is the best pony, right?

;)

Edited by TwilightSparkle
  • Brohoof 2

A friend of mine that I introduced to the show recently had this to say about it,

"The cartoon is great, but I almost enjoy the reactions that my other friends have when I start watching it around them more than the show itself"

• Brohoof 3