Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony love growing plants?

Sakutama

Hey everypony!

Does anyone love growing plants? Gardening? Anything of that sort? I thought it would be neat to meet other MLP fans who also love plants and gardening! So feel free to chime in with what you love to grow, what you aspire to grow, and what you're already growing!

• Brohoof 2

I once tried to grow my own vegetable garden.

Little did my 8-year-old self know that vegetables just don't grow overnight and the seeds need constant watering.

I ragequitted lol.

My late mother used to be a garden fanatic. She would always spend her early mornings watering roses, sunflowers, flowers that I can't even name. She used to be very neat and clean about it too, not leaving a speck of wayside dirt behind.

I was briefly interested in gardening a few years ago. Having to watering the plants every day became more of a chore and waned my interest greatly. Eventually, I stopped watering all together and my entire garden was killed by the deathly summer rays. :(

I do a lot of landscaping from time to time. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean I know what I'm doing most of the time but to say that there isn't something serene about it...

Well that would also be a lie.

My family and I have two medium-sized gardens - one "sunny" garden and another "shady" one - that we converted from a regular grassy back yard. Although I'm not too involved in the planting process myself, I know that we grow plants like eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, onions, garlic and a few varieties of herbs. I think we grew corn stalks one year, too! It's pretty awesome, though, seeing how much food we've grown over the summer. :)

Thanks for chiming in everyone! I'm sorry so many of you had bad experiences growing plants. It's certainly not easy, it's a skill to keep any living thing alive. And unlike animals, the plants often don't give hints!

I had this funny idea to make a plant geek group of sorts, but sounds like I am one of the few with some luck with growing plants.

That is actually the origin of my character, the zebra Pegasus pony. She's basically a plant version of Fluttershy!

I'm rather fond of plants. For my potted plants, I've got my various succulents and my heliotrope, as well as quite a few strawberry plants. In the ground, I've got some rhubarb. Two that have been in the ground for some time, and two which are rhizomes I planted a month or so ago.

I used to have a massive cactus collection, but I had them outside for the summer and an early frost got 'em. :(

Not at the moment, but there's a small plot (hehe) in the backyard where I'm gonna make me a Zen garden. All I need is the materials though. I'll definitely upload a picture when it's done. Zen gardens are kewl.

I like growing certain plants.....>.>.....<.<.......*cough**cough**wink**wink*

kidding....I've always wanted to do some gardening but never had the time to set anything up. Sounds like a great hobby tbh.

• 5 years later...

No, as I wouldn't be able to nurture them with the necessary care.

Either way, our garden is full medicinal plants, as this place is shared with those knowledgeable in the area. Some of which are used to ease physical, psychological and spiritual distortions, to stimulant and relaxants in form of incense and infusions, to those that might alter consciousness into different forms of perception.

• Brohoof 2

I would LOVE to have a garden but I live in an apartment with no sun on my side of the building...  I was considering getting a hydroponics set up to grow Spinach and Kale indoors since those are the things I like to eat the most and need to eat to help my iron levels.  Unfortunately, I always forget to get them while I'm at the store. My apartment managers have been talking about potentially making a space for people to garden but most people seem to not be interested in it, they keep saying "Well why don't you use your balcony?!" kinda frustrating to say the least.

I do! 

it's great somedays to go outside and send some time in my garden and relax a bit and enjoy a beautiful day.

As for growing,I mostly just grow cucumbers,tomatoes,red and green chili peppers.

• Brohoof 1

Some people have a Green Thumb. I have a Black Thumb. Everything I try to grow dies miserably. I managed a few peppers once but nothing too fancy. Tomatoes? Forget it. They're impossible. 

The most success I've had to date is a little Kalancoe plant I bought at Epcot three years ago. It was grown from a plant cell (no seed) and is basically a test tube plant. It grew to a pretty good size and it's still hanging in there. 

• Brohoof 3

I've tried growing plants, but to be honest it's just not my thing. Plants always end up dying under my care. :huh: Oh well, I guess I just don't have much of a green thumb. :P

I would like to own a small palm, honestly. That'd be nice to take care of. However, although it was not on purpose, the last I owned a plant I sorta let it die of dehydration.. and it was a cactus.. :{

I do have a mini garden, and I mostly grow; mint leaves, strawberry, banana pepper, potato, melon, pumpkin, garlic, green onion, peach tree, Vietnamese perilla, and Vietnamese balm.  I want to try growing tomatoes or cucumbers in the upcoming spring/summer. 

• 8 months later...

I'm not much into gardening, but I do enjoy growing fruit trees (peaches, plums, and figs at the moment) and evergreens. I love to eat fresh fruit from them and I love the smell of evergreen trees, especially the Arizona Cypress.

I still have the Kalanchoe that I mentioned in my earlier post above. It had to be trimmed way down but it's coming back beautifully and looks great. I have since added a Vanilla plant that I (also) got from Epcot last spring. So now my Kalanchoe has a little green sibling. They're both looking nice and healthy at the moment. 

I absolutely love growing plants, especially tropical fruit plants! As it's too cold here to grow tropical plants outside, my living room is full of tropical fruit tree's, such as cocoa, coffee, mamey sapote and many more that most people don't know. Besides that, I also have quite some carnivorous plants.

I also grow vegetables in the garden every spring to autumn. In my vegetable garden I usually grow peppers, carrots, garlic, berries, leeks and some other vegetables.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...