Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just curious.. Why do you/ Don't you post in the welcome forums?

Zygen

I post in the welcome forums so I don't forget where I came from, and maybe crack some jokes to break the ice for the noobs.

I'm lousy with humor. I tried making a joke to a new guy and it didn't work out so well. He took it seriously and I had to explain it. Guess I need to work on my act.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think have posted in it once, not even to make my own thread introducing myself. One person welcoming a new guy, or a new guy even making an introduction thread wouldn't really make a difference in them being a regular poster or not.

• Brohoof 1

I currently don't post much of anything really, but it looks like I'm headed for the Welcome forums to post like crazy so I can get rid of these restrictions e.e

• Brohoof 2

I kinda feel bad about it and I should do it more often, but I find myself just repeating the same welcome message over and over. Most of the new people don't offer up too much info in their intro post to build a convo off of.

This is true, I'm sure its because they feel unconfortable and unsure at first about the community, but there is exceptions like everything else.

I post in the welcoming plaza because when I first arrived the number of ponies who came in and welcomed me is the reason i decided to stay.

Yeah, I wasn't around during this time but I've heard it from ChaoticDiscord. I wish the community in the welcome plazza was just as large as it was then. It might encourage more people to be active aswell as join. And that means more members, and more members means more fun most posts and more enjoyable forums!

I am also hoping that my post makes some people who've never posted, or don't post often post some. Any amount of influence is awesome.

• Brohoof 1

I never posted on the welcoming plaza but I recently started to do it because of how good I felt when I was welcomed once I was new and I don't plan to stop.

If that "welcome" I give to a new pony is the determinant factor for making him or her to stay, then I'll take the job! ;)

• Brohoof 3

Posting in the Welcoming Plaza is something I did early on but eventually forgot about. Regrettable. I recently started again and plan to make it a regular thing.

Canned responses aren't necessarily a bad thing if you can think of multiple ways to say the same thing. Working in IT, I'm quite accustomed to giving

. Rather than copypasta for each reply to an introductory thread, I type it out even if I know it's going to say essentially the same thing. Usually this results in some differences since I haven't made it a point to memorize a standard response. The most important aspect of any post, whether in the Welcoming Plaza or elsewhere, is sincerity. People will feel encouraged if you take the time to go out of your way and acknowledge their presence regardless of how rote your greeting may be.

Remember: there are routine situations but there are no routine people. Just because you've greeted one doesn't mean you've greeted them all. Nobody's background is exactly the same, so pry into their history if you're completely at a loss. It takes two to have a conversation, so offer some details about yourself even if you've told the same tale to countless others. This person hasn't heard it, it's an icebreaker, and sharing part of yourself with that stranger will foster some trust. People are often judged by the company they keep; making yourself look good to a new member makes the whole of the forums look good.

If I drop into one of those threads and find that it has plenty of replies that have covered everything I might want to say after reading the original post, I'll still just extend a generic "hello." Maybe I won't post anything if there are already many replies and the thread has been there for several days. Instead I'll just leave a brohoof for the OP. That way he knows that one more person checked in and cares about a new arrival, even if that person had nothing to say.

Everybody is capable of doing something in the Welcoming Plaza. You don't have to be eloquent, you don't have to be verbose, just be there and make your presence known.

I get where you're coming from, but don't ever feel like you're too new or not prestigious enough to do something. It wouldn't look weird and nobody would call you out on it. Once you join, you're one of us, there's not much more to it than that. When I came here I skipped out on making an introductory thread in the Plaza and went straight to greeting other newcomers.

Very very good points. I agree that maybe everybody should take a time every so often to read, and maybe even post if you can, in some of the threads there. Like you said even just leaving a brohoof lets them know someone took the time to read it.

I do agree with the vast majority of what you said. Don't have to much to add myself. I think it brings up great points. The "Canned" Responses mean something to the newcomers afterall. And most of the time I find mine don't follow the exact same pattern or anything. its not copy pasted, I usally try to say something about what they post about themselfs or comment about their favorite pony. Its true you can start conversations this well to. And it makes everything feel more sincere.

I also posted in the welcome plazza really almost right after I joined. its a bit akward welcoming new people as a new person yourself, but everyone counts! :D

Glad to see all the responses in this thread btw!

I don't think have posted in it once, not even to make my own thread introducing myself. One person welcoming a new guy, or a new guy even making an introduction thread wouldn't really make a difference in them being a regular poster or not.

This is true to some people, but not to everyone. Some people value your welcomes a lot more then others. I didn't get some crazy number of posts in my intro thread, but I got a couple. However I didn't have extreme expectations or anything so those few mattered quite a lot to me. And just because I wasn't jammed with posts sometimes it only takes a few. I think I post on the forums pretty actively now.

But everyone is different. Some people will be more influenced by warm welcomes then others. If they made a welcome thread I think that at least a chunk of people should post in it. It makes them feel like there wanted and not just going to be lurking. It helps them feel connected. And this is a good community, but its true the welcome plaza is lacking in some aspects.

I currently don't post much of anything really, but it looks like I'm headed for the Welcome forums to post like crazy so I can get rid of these restrictions e.e

Its good to post, but the posts in the welcome forums don't count. If you didn't find this out yet that is. But it is still nice to welcome people. Even if the posts don't go into your post count. I can take part of my day personally to spend a a bit of time welcoming people. I don't do it everyday just days I feel generous of compelled to do it.

I think it would be nice to have some more people get into the habit of posting there sometimes! The more the merrier :D

I never posted on the welcoming plaza but I recently started to do it because of how good I felt when I was welcomed once I was new and I don't plan to stop.

If that "welcome" I give to a new pony is the determinant factor for making him or her to stay, then I'll take the job! ;)

Yeah! It makes a big difference for some people, small one for some. Most of the time it makes a difference to everypony. I don't think it doesn't matter to many people. Most people making a welcome thread are expecting welcomes.(Sorry if it sounds demanding).

Its great that you feel compelled to return the favor though!

• Brohoof 2

I LOVE to welcome all the new ponies to the forum, and if I happen to come across a thread with no replies or someone I may share an interest with. I love helping the new users out as well, considering I was lost my first week or so here. So I welcome them in, let them know some general information and if they have any similar interests. ^_^

• Brohoof 2

I never posted a thread in the Welcoming Plaza when I first joined. But I think that's because I'm not a newb to the Internet, so I wanted to cut to the chase and feel like a regular member here sooner.

I forget that most people on this forum haven't ventured the Internet long enough to be bold and dive into discussions.

And yet... I think that the people who tend to stick around are people who would be bold anyways... maybe some people need that push, true, but if there were an easy way to figure that out, then I'd post in those threads. Not to sound mean, but I don't want to waste my time posting "Welcome~" on everyone's thread if more than 90% of the people are just going to leave even with the encouragement.

I mean, I didn't need a Welcoming Plaza to get myself out there online. It always took time for me to get acquainted with a forum's social life, but I managed to stick around the places that mattered.

• Brohoof 1

When I first joined here, I think my Intro Topic only had 1 member welcoming me. I just thought it was the "norm" here to just introduce yourself and then be off your merry way. I guess I was wrong, as apparently it's now making a comeback lol.

With me posting in Intro topics, I usually don't, even on other forums I go on. To me, I just get tired of introducing myself over and over and then saying the same welcoming statement over and over. I try to make a creative welcoming sometimes, but then I run out of ideas. Eventually, I just stopped the practice. If I ever get the encouragement again, I might consider going back to that.

• Brohoof 2

I haven't posted in the Welcoming Plaza at all, but I did used to send happy birthday messages everyday. I just stopped for some reason sadly. When I was new here, I at least got a good amount of members making welcome posts.

I guess I just somehow forgot about the Welcoming Plaza even existed, but I should change that.

I might just go ahead and welcome a new member right now.

• Brohoof 2

I once was very damn active in that place with my copy pasta template, yeah I'm lazy like that, but I always try to give each and every thread a simple personal advice.

Then three newbies accused me of being spambot, and at least two people in this thread says that my method is "lame and useless" (because giving the newbies helpful links are useless), I stopped immediately :<

That is rather sad for those who told you to stop. Did you post a lot? Well yes but I thought the links were useful, and your template was rather welcoming IMO.

Now I should start posting more in the Welcoming Plaza, but the thing is that the newcomers usually don't post enough information about them selves, giving you that "Canned response" feeling. I will look out for low reply topics in the WP and will make a hello there.

• Brohoof 2

I used to, but then I took a skyrim meme to the... well you know.

A few reasons as to why I stopped.

1. Lazy

2. My responses consisted of set message x and a personal remark of some sort. It got to the point where I had trouble making all the personal remarks unique

3. 100chars

4. I was an idiot and never had the welcome vid link, so I had to search manually every time, see note 1.

Also I did some digging

My welcome thread:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/12750-bonjour-mes-amis/

I should make another one, because I don't like that one. None of the members who welcomed me are mods, and I feel that the staff should make a greater effort to communicate with the community, rather than stay within their isolated elite bubble of corrupt... eliteness.

Politicize all the things!

Edited by Whiteshade
  • Brohoof 4

I kind of feel like a dick now, looking at how little I post there. I mean, my welcoming thread got a lot of people to post. But lately, that forum hasn't had the amount of welcomers it used to.

I guess I don't post there because I don't really have the time. Recently, I haven't bee quite active as I want to be on these forums, and welcoming people hasn't been a priorty of mine.

• Brohoof 1

I feel that the staff should make a greater effort to communicate with the community, rather than stay within their isolated elite bubble of corrupt... eliteness.

Politicize all the things!

If this was 2-3 months ago I'd totally agree with this 100% but since the new boatload came aboard it's been better from what I've seen.

• Brohoof 1

I used to be pretty active there, posting a long welcome to the many ponies that came in :P However, i simply became too busy to carry on with it :( I feel bad that I dont welcome new members anymore, and I would LOVE to welcome them if I could.

• Brohoof 3

I'm pretty sure I welcomed someone about thirty minutes or so after I myself joined...

That's what I love most about forums is welcoming the new people, because that first post they make usually tells you everything about their personality that you ever need to know.

I also notice that a lot of people welcoming those lovely newbs almost seem to copy/paste the same "Welcome, have fun, we're nice" gig in almost every thread. That's why I try to make a connection to something that lovely newb said.

But I've posted in almost every welcome thread made since I joined (yesterday). :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Because my post count doesn't increase.

Okay seriously, it's moreso that if I post I start to feel obligated to do it for everyone, which frankly I'm not prepared to do with how many people join lately. I've made a couple in recent times, but only when a username catches my attention or if I'm in a good mood.

I should probably do it a little more. My reason is silly. Stop being an OCD perfectionist Silver.

Edited by Silver Arrow
  • Brohoof 1

I do... Sometimes. Looking at my posting habits, I never really have much to say, and I don't want to sound like a robot that repeats the same thing in every single thread.. That's Mailmare's job. :) I've always been this way on message boards, more of a lurker than a poster.

• Brohoof 1

I just can't be bothered sometimes but it's also that I just don't have much to say and I don't really want to just repeat what I or other people have already said. Sometimes I don't bother cause what I type doesn't sound sincere enough to me.

• Brohoof 1

Well... When I first joined I never made a Welcoming Plaza thread and I've become a regular member. Though I didn't make one mostly because I don't pay much attention to stuff... XD

But yeah take me as an example. You don't necessarily have to make a Welcoming Plaza thread to become a regular on the forums although it may help. I don't know. Am I an exception?

I myself don't post much in the Welcoming Plaza because most of the time I don't know what to say. XD

• Brohoof 1