Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Actually Use Bluetooth With your Phone?

Chuckdumper

A long time ago i came to the realization that bluetooth is pretty worthless for file transfers and things of the like. When i learned the protocol found a nice home with voice transfer i thought to myself, "good for you bluetooth, good for you". A few days ago i was introduced to a bluetooth headset. While utter disgust in bt had me reluctant i tried the headset out with my iphone. I used the Plantronics M155 headset as my coworker told me i need to "experience my phone life handsfree". Hes the kind of ass hat that walks around with the thing in his ear 24/7. But i washed out the ear gel and stuffed it in my ear, the pairing, was super easy and the connection was very clear, and then it dawned on me that all phones should be made this way....hands free connection to the phone is amazing! The headset was also optimized for iOS which made it pairing and using a lot easier than other option from what i understand....so my question to you all, is do you use bluetooth headsets? I would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly in regard to your experience with bt headsets...

Although I do not use a Bluetooth myself regularly, my father does. He is a truck driver and using a cellphone on the road is against the law so a Bluetooth is a necessity.

The call quality on them isn't that bad and it helps you focus on whatever you are doing instead of holding a phone up to your ear. They do take a bit of getting use to though...

the only reason i want bluetooth is for this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8928/?srp=5

i work in the meat department of a grocery store and one of the most annoying things to me are people on their phones--handsfree or not. they want to point and mouth to me what they want and i just think its rude and disrespectful.

the commercials where theyre on their smartphones walking around, staring down--supposedly "living and being social," but all i see is someone walking right by and missing their own lives around them.

in the car? meh. maybe. it would be nice.. handsfree and all (especially with me and a stick-shift) but that doesnt make it safer. cell phones are dangerous while driving because your brain isnt focused on the task at hand. so handsfree doesnt make it brainfree haha. if i got it for the car id want it through the radio.

I absolutely have no idea what Bluetooth is because nobody I know even uses it lol.

My phone has the option of adding a device but I've never experimented with it. My dad used it once but that was because he didn't want to get pulled over by the cops for driving while holding a cell phone. :P

No. My definition of a phone call is the brief exchange of time sensitive, vital information. As such, the phone part of my phone is rarely used and when it is, the call rarely lasts longer than a minute. Thus the need for a earpiece is non-existant.

I have a pair of Motorola S305 bluetooth headphones that I use with my phone, but I use them more for it's MP3 player than actually talking on the phone. I'm not a big fan of using bluetooth to have phone conversations, for a number of reasons (including the fact that I don't like talking on the phone).

Every now and then I use my Bluetooth ear piece. Driving while talking on the phone is illegal in my state (and on the federal property where I work), so a hands-free device is pretty much a must sometimes.

I rarely ever find the need to call, calling is such an ardeous task, which requires me to have you pay attention to me now, I rather communicate using text messaging or email before calling. Calling is only necessary for long conversations, as such I only call using Skype and use my awesome setup. Rather then a phone.

Yeah, I use BloothTooth from time to time like for transferring files or for hands-free stuff. It's quite slow at times, but at least it's 100 times better than IrDA. Oh lord, I can still remember the times when me and my friends would exchange files on our phones with the help of IrDA... :lol:

Edited by Freckle

• 4 years later...

Almost every day. I have an after market car radio with 2 15"s and I can change all kinds of settings with it.

That, and I have wireless headphones for work so I don't get a wire caught on anything.

My radio in the car supports Bluetooth streaming so I listen to it often and I also like using my Bluetooth headphones with my laptop while I draw because there's no cord to mess with.

3 hours ago, Retro*Derpy said:

Almost every day. I have an after market car radio with 2 15"s and I can change all kinds of settings with it.

That, and I have wireless headphones for work so I don't get a wire caught on anything.

Aye. This is how I use the technology as well. I'm not known for sitting still, so having wireless Bluetooth earbuds is important lest I find them yank out by a wire getting snagged on something.  

Nudging this thread over to Media Discussion since it relates to phone and tech usage. :P 

I use a Bluetooth headset at work so that my hands are free to type or write. It's very handy! I don't use it anywhere else, though. My father uses Bluetooth everywhere since he's often on the go and doesn't want to miss a call. 

I switched to bluetooth for music because the cord on my old headphones seemed to get snagged a lot. The biggest pain for me now is the battery.

I don't like the kind used for calls, though. I always feel like people look ridiculous talking to thin air.

Currently the only use for bluetooth that I have is for a bluetooth speaker that I have, which it is quite nice. I can also use that corded as well but bluetooth conneciton is pretty convenient. 

I use it for my portable speaker. I actually used it yesterday to transfer a file from PC to Phone. :P

• 1 year later...

I actually love to use Bluetooth for quick and easy file transfer between the devices. Never bothered with Bluetooth headphones because I feel like there would be no point to buy it so I could use it on my phone, or tablet. If I could easily find the PC that offered a build in Bluetooth hardware, or if I bothered to install it then I would have used Bluetooth headphones all the time.

I've never really bothered with bluetooth headsets. One of my colleagues does and it's kind of funny watching him use it. He randomly blurts out "Answer!", then appears to start talking to himself. I will say though that it seems to be a good way to talk with yourself without appearing too crazy. (Plausible deniability.)

As for bluetooth FTP, I've tried it in desperation, but you're way better off hosting an openssh server on your phone and using that for wireless file transfers.