Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Friendship is Magic vs Bronies

Motion Spark

Choose...  

43 users have voted

1. 1. Who puts the magiks of friendship?

• the show
    • the community

hey there! :)

there's something that I have been thinking on very recently. Where is the power source of this community? it is in the show? or it is in the fandom itself.

Also, it is possible that this show has so many "magical powers" that it can erase the depression and suffering out of the people who watch it? yes... I'm quoting these stories that say "How MLP saved my life and didn't commit suicide". I love these stories BTW, they warm my heart. :)

or the power comes from the bronies who are willing to help another fallen brony from depression and such, with positive words and friendship.

It is this show what it is without the fandom? :huh: I know the fandom is based on the show, but I didn't have watched an episode in a really long time, yet I still have my brain full of ponies 24/7.

I mean, which is the powerhouse here? the show or the community? I'm going with the community here, because when I watch the show yeah, it's entertaining and I love it, but it's the community who makes me love the show even more. If the community never existed I probably wouldn't even know about this cartoon.

What do you think?

• Brohoof 4

I made a thread that asked "What if the brony fandom never existed?". It was pretty much asking if you would be here if it weren't for the community.

I wouldn't be a fan of MLP if it weren't for the people that made up the fandom. I enjoy the show, but the real magic comes from the people here! :)

(btw, your poll says "magiks". Is that a typo?)

To me I believe the show was the original thing that caused the fandom to be created, so I'm going with the show, for the fact the brony community wouldn't be here if not for the show.

If it wasn't for the show then we wouldn't be here together. It's good to know that the person isn't in a depression anymore, but I find it a bit extreme to hear these stories that the show itself nuked their depression and brought sunshine and rainbows into their lives... But if this show really can do that for some people then by all means watch it and stop spending money on those anti-depressant pills.

(btw, your poll says "magiks". Is that a typo?)

I don't know what a typo is, but that's how Photo Finish talks XD

If it wasn't for the show then we wouldn't be here together. It's good to know that the person isn't in a depression anymore, but I find it a bit extreme to hear these stories that the show itself nuked their depression and brought sunshine and rainbows into their lives... But if this show really can do that for some people then by all means watch it and stop spending money on those anti-depressant pills.

I know that it is because of the show that we are mainly here, but I also think that it is because of the community that we are here. MLPforums is not the fandom, it's just a portion of it. And by the way the fandom increazed in size each day, new websites would be born, including this one.

And believe it, for me it's hard to understand, but it happened, the show itself brings REAL inner happyness to depressed people.

It was hard choice, but I believe it's the show for me. If it wasn't for the show I'd be dead and none of you would know who I am. I'd be in a box shipped back to Russia. Hey....guess what though. I'm not dead! In fact I'm really alive and doing well. Of course the people on here are super supportive and awesome too but if I didn't even watch the show I'd never have met any of you awesome peoples.

I'd also never start to be more creative, happy, joyful, and active in my life. So thanks show and thank you awesome comrades! You both deserve Dimitri's vote of epic ness.

• Brohoof 3

Well...the "power" isn't concentrated on a single place. It's more...divided if anything. I wouldn't have known about the show, if not for the MASSIVE influx of pony images that appeared out of nowhere in DA back in July last year, especially done by some artists I normally checked, and even then it took me three months before it my curiosity was enough to make me go and check. But anyway, the "power" is divided in the sense that, yes, a lot of people know the show because the fandom makes sure to make it appealing. However, how many of us ISN'T waiting like a bucking kid for Season 3? If anything the "shift of power" would come more to the fact of whenever a new season comes around. When it does, forget anything else, SHOW'S ON! After that, we have to survive through the fandom to not forget ponies. So in short, it's both things that actually make sure that the fanchise of MLP: FIM stays up in the air. After all, if the show went bad, none of us would watch it now would we?

And maybe an advice Motion? Change the title a bit. I SERIOUSLY thought something different when I looked at it. :wacko:

• Brohoof 2

It was hard choice, but I believe it's the show for me. If it wasn't for the show I'd be dead and none of you would know who I am. I'd be in a box shipped back to Russia. Hey....guess what though. I'm not dead! In fact I'm really alive and doing well. Of course the people on here are super supportive and awesome too but if I didn't even watch the show I'd never have met any of you awesome peoples.

I'd also never start to be more creative, happy, joyful, and active in my life. So thanks show and thank you awesome comrades! You both deserve Dimitri's vote of epic ness.

I thought more people would go for the fandom, but I guess that I'm wrong.

It's good to have mixed responses and different point of views :)

and off-topic here, I'm so happy that this show changed you and that you're still with us my dear Comrade ;)

Well...the "power" isn't concentrated on a single place. It's more...divided if anything. I wouldn't have known about the show, if not for the MASSIVE influx of pony images that appeared out of nowhere in DA back in July last year, especially done by some artists I normally checked, and even then it took me three months before it my curiosity was enough to make me go and check. But anyway, the "power" is divided in the sense that, yes, a lot of people know the show because the fandom makes sure to make it appealing. However, how many of us ISN'T waiting like a bucking kid for Season 3? If anything the "shift of power" would come more to the fact of whenever a new season comes around. When it does, forget anything else, SHOW'S ON! After that, we have to survive through the fandom to not forget ponies. So in short, it's both things that actually make sure that the fanchise of MLP: FIM stays up in the air. After all, if the show went bad, none of us would watch it now would we?

And maybe an advice Motion? Change the title a bit. I SERIOUSLY thought something different when I looked at it. :wacko:

if the show become a crap (which I doubt) then I think this fandom has very solid roots, if a season failed, there would be much more discussion to us, I don't think the fandom would break apart if a season just fails.

This fandom can survive without new episodes that can I assure you.

• Brohoof 1

if the show become a crap (which I doubt) then I think this fandom has very solid roots, if a season failed, there would be much more discussion to us, I don't think the fandom would break apart if a season just fails. This fandom can survive without new episodes that can I assure you.

Oh, I know. We are having our OWN FANMADE EPISODES FOR CELESTIA'S SAKE! I'm not questioning the capability of the fandom's survival, heck no! And I'm glad I'm not! But, you know... lots of the things we make is because we love the show so much...so if the show failed...then many of the bronies would stop doing things. We CAN'T have much done from just two good seasons (which trust me, I don't even THINK that the next seasons won't be awesome). Eventually...the fandom would kinda...run out, you know? I could be wrong on this but...the show and the fandom are much more related than many would think. Which is why I think that both have the power, and that it also depends on whether there's a new season or not.

I'd actually be pretty upset and I'd be the same depressed teen as always. I wouldn't have as many friends as I do now and I'd probably would've committed suicide. If it weren't for the the show and fantastic community, then I wouldn't be as devoted to politics, religion and the well being of other people. It changed me and from being concerned over my own safety, I see everyone as one big family. Though I feel like it's all dying out now, but I'll never forget the wonderful community that changed my life forever. You've all placed a mark in my heart and I will never forget as long as I live.

• Brohoof 2

Oh, I know. We are having our OWN FANMADE EPISODES FOR CELESTIA'S SAKE! I'm not questioning the capability of the fandom's survival, heck no! And I'm glad I'm not! But, you know... lots of the things we make is because we love the show so much...so if the show failed...then many of the bronies would stop doing things. We CAN'T have much done from just two good seasons (which trust me, I don't even THINK that the next seasons won't be awesome). Eventually...the fandom would kinda...run out, you know? I could be wrong on this but...the show and the fandom are much more related than many would think. Which is why I think that both have the power, and that it also depends on whether there's a new season or not.

I have to disagree, as a community we have our foundings very well set, we have the world (Equestria), the characters (mane6 and bg ponies, and villains) and the premise (friendship, elements of harmony).

That's all we need, of course I'm not saying that the show means crap to us, of course not, but I'm saying that the fandom is so well settled that if the show for some reason gets abruptly cancelled, that thing wouldn't make the community to break apart.

@@Cherry Blossom, ohhhhh!!! so cute and emotional! :(

it makes me really happy to read this kind of things, the more we know isn't it? so I guess that you're greatful to both the show and the community right?

• Brohoof 1

I have to disagree, as a community we have our foundings very well set, we have the world (Equestria), the characters (mane6 and bg ponies, and villains) and the premise (friendship, elements of harmony).

That's all we need, of course I'm not saying that the show means crap to us, of course not, but I'm saying that the fandom is so well settled that if the show for some reason gets abruptly cancelled, that thing wouldn't make the community to break apart.

Hmmm...imma gonna say, that we a few more seasons, I could call it so but...eh, I'm not in the mood to think more of it :P . Plus, it's your opinion. I could agree that we have successfully established our grounds however. Imma just gonna enjoy both. Whatever happens...happens :) . Besides, I have made a lot of good people thanks to the community. And gave me something I am seriously enjoying. Trust me, I'm not going to take power away from you or anyone. Nah, I love you all too much to do that :) Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 1

Heck, that's practically my motto: it's all about the show. Even if I'd never talked to any other bronies, MLP would have made a difference in my life. I love the forum and all that stuff, but message boards are nothing new to me. The community has the same flaws as any other fandom. I'm sure we'll be around, watching episodes and making stories and art, long after the show itself is gone. But the show is what brought us all together in the first place. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can I say both? Both are pretty important. Without the show, there would be no community. But without the community, I wouldn't have discovered the show. I don't know man.

• Brohoof 1

Can I say both? Both are pretty important. Without the show, there would be no community. But without the community, I wouldn't have discovered the show. I don't know man.

lol.... don't worry, I also think that both are pretty important too! you can choose both, but I really would like to know why you think that both makes this what it is today :)

It's definitely the show. I'm burning through fanfics and crap to wait for season 3 but I'd definitely trade those for episodes. No offense to our community and all, because some of us make pretty cool stuff, but nothing compares to the show. It is why I'm here, not fan works

for me its the show because with out we wouldn't have this fandom (which is both a blessing and a curse)

I mean there thing in the fandom i like (fan made animation ) but there also stuff i hate ( PMV's with lyrics) but with the show there is nothing I rely hate, i mean sure i don't like how Rainbowdash is written and I the Derpy scene was a concern but i don't hate them.

and I may sound like a huge jackass but i can't stand the whole "MLP saved me" tripe. I mean I have been though shit so i can sympathize but to say one show saved them from suicide is bullshit these people need to learn to credit themselves.

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

lol.... don't worry, I also think that both are pretty important too! you can choose both, but I really would like to know why you think that both makes this what it is today :)

Well, without the community, I would have felt pressured to give up the show. I get made fun of pretty often for it, so it's nice to fit in. The show is just so great that I keep coming back. I really can't choose; both strap important.

• Brohoof 1

i mean sure i don't like how Rainbowdash is written and I the Derpy scene was a concern but i don't hate them.

I'm not fond of Rainbow Dash or Derpy either, but thinking that Rainbow Dash is bad written is wrong. The good thing about this show is that they show that the characters are not perfect. I hate the way RD behaves sometimes, but they are trying to fit all the roles, both positive and negative. In this case (the negative), RD would be the jerk, show-off,blunt and cocky character. (sorry to all RD fans XD)

and I may sound like a huge jackass but i can't stand the whole "MLP saved me" tripe. I mean I have been though shit so i can sympathize but to say one show saved them from suicide is bullshit these people need to learn to credit themselves.

it's good to have different opinions, don't feel bad :)

but let see this... do you believe that a person can get out of depression if they see a counselor? if the answer is yes, then put that counselor inside the show. I personally have never been depressed to the point of killing myself, but I see that this show is so possitive, colorful and very well made that I believe that people that state this, however, the friendship that sorround the fandom, for me, it's the best medicine for depression, because you're interacting with people that is there for you and care about you, even if it is over the internet.

I'm not fond of Rainbow Dash or Derpy either, but thinking that Rainbow Dash is bad written is wrong. The good thing about this show is that they show that the characters are not perfect. I hate the way RD behaves sometimes, but they are trying to fit all the roles, both positive and negative. In this case (the negative), RD would be the jerk, show-off,blunt and cocky character. (sorry to all RD fans XD)

it's good to have different opinions, don't feel bad :)

but let see this... do you believe that a person can get out of depression if they see a counselor? if the answer is yes, then put that counselor inside the show. I personally have never been depressed to the point of killing myself, but I see that this show is so possitive, colorful and very well made that I believe that people that state this, however, the friendship that sorround the fandom, for me, it's the best medicine for depression, because you're interacting with people that is there for you and care about you, even if it is over the internet.

with RD and how she is written the issue i have is that for season 2 they have done the same formula ' make her incredibly shallow and jerky, then try to redeem her and it fails, to me at least to others they may not rely notice or care or think that it improves her character i just think it should not have been done twice ,almost 3 times.

and for the second part, its never just a single thing that saves some one from suicide it's multiple things the largest factor being you're own will power, i mean for me i thank all my friends, family, and psychiatrists for me not going to that depth when i though me dying was the right thing, but now i'm over it.

I just think its wrong for someone to go and say it was just a show about ponies rather then those who truly helped them and even themselves.

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

with RD and how she is written the issue i have is that for season 2 they have done the same formula ' make her incredibly shallow and jerky, then try to redeem her and it fails, to me at least to others they may not rely notice or care or think that it improves her character i just think it should not have been done twice ,almost 3 times.

haha hence, she's one of the most loved characters by the fandom, and favorite of many, because she is the least girly of the mane6 when they see Rarity as the major bitch of the show, and a dramatic bimbo! >:{

where's the logic here?

maybe RD IS REALLY a jerkface :/

and for the second part, its never just a single thing that saves some one from suicide it's multiple things the largest factor being you're own will power, i mean for me i thank all my friends, family, and psychiatrists for me not going to that depth when i though me dying was the right thing, but now i'm over it. I just think its wrong for someone to go and say it was just a show about ponies rather then those who truly helped them and even themselves.

something tells me that you went through similar experiences...

maybe that's why you defend your point of view so much... it's valid :)

It's all sex, violence, grimdark cops/superhero, sparkly vampires with unrealistic personalities and writing while MLP is just the opposite.

I'm living in a religious apartheid country where terrorism is frequent and MLP keeps me calm and smiling.The brony community produce better music than anything the big labels ever put out and the fan videos are amusing, even controversial brony artists makes quality art.

• Brohoof 1

haha hence, she's one of the most loved characters by the fandom, and favorite of many, because she is the least girly of the mane6 when they see Rarity as the major bitch of the show, and a dramatic bimbo! >:{

where's the logic here?

maybe RD IS REALLY a jerkface :/

something tells me that you went through similar experiences...

maybe that's why you defend your point of view so much... it's valid :)

XD its funny because i think RD is the bitch of the show, it all about personal opinion rely.

and yeah i kinda do get overly defencive about this stuff, and now i become a hypocrite and say that i actually despise bringing it up, i would rather let it stay im my past then bring it up at all. which is why i am baffled when individual bronies bring it up so often. and if it is true and it was just the show that saved them, what about when it all ends? it very rare these kinds of felling go away and never come back so what if it does and there is no mlp or fandom any more.

well that got kind of depressing i'm gona go finish working on my OC design now

(also getting a chat pad for my xbox was money well spent :) now if only the xbox browser had a spelling and grammer checker)

and yeah i kinda do get overly defencive about this stuff, and now i become a hypocrite and say that i actually despise bringing it up, i would rather let it stay im my past then bring it up at all. which is why i am baffled when individual bronies bring it up so often. and if it is true and it was just the show that saved them, what about when it all ends? it very rare these kinds of felling go away and never come back so what if it does and there is no mlp or fandom any more

Don't worry Echo (that sounds like a nice nick :) ), you've seen this stuff, no wonder you would get defensive. But can I just tell my opinion on something you said? You mentioned when it all ends...to be honest, this is a fandom and a show. And even after it ends, it will still be there. It won't disappear. It will still net people the one thing thing that helped them through life. Maybe not something new, but something anyway. A fandom like this will still get stuff out for sure, EVEN after it ends. And someone can still re-watch the episodes after ending. I don't think the people who got back their lives by the show or fandom will lose that which saved them. :)