Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming World of Warcraft

Street Comedy

Just thought I would say this here as it's WoW related and the actual WoW forums are . . . well not this community let's just say.

So I've been missing my sessions at the temple where I train in Kung Fu at. Part of it was justified due to me coming home from the Christmas break but now it's just me putting them off. So I've set up a new system to hold myself accountable. My main, in fact the only toon I play as these days, is a Pandaren monk. The way I'm going to keep myself going back is, if I don't train in actual Kung Fu, I don't get to play with fantasy Kung Fu.

I wonder if people here have tried RP servers, since I see them as somehow a better alternative to just PvE and PvP servers. Could be a dramatization, but I feel like interaction and socializing has all but died out in Pandaria, with players just going their way to solo content and literally not talk with anyone.

With RP servers I feel like that interaction is back again, with players who don't just focus on the epic gear you get in raids, but in the lore and content of the game itself. True, there's the occasional griefer and RP troll, but at the very least players have some incentive and approach you for a good RP conversation.

I haven't played for a while, actually, but I've started with a new toon on a RP-PvP server as a Human Protection Paladin (lived in Southshore, dad got into the Scarlet Crusade, then he joined the Argent Crusade in a guild division). Currently at Level 72, having some great fun with him, especially with a close-knit RP guild that fits him. :D

Really hope they do something to the Plaguelands actually, the Argent Crusade has sort of been ignored since Cata.

• Brohoof 1

@,

You sir, are speaking my language.

My main is on an RP server (lvl 75 Pandaren Monk) and RP is my whole interest in this game. I mean I do actually play it's solo content but in service to my in-character goals and motivations.

Specifically, Wei Yu Summerstep was a student of the Tushui while his brother Lu Kwei was a student of the Huojin. I don't need to say another word and you can probably suss out his primary conflict. For kicks though, when the two of them parted from the Wandering Isle, they made a promise they would meet again one day. Ever since the Alliance made their terms clear to the pandaren, Wei has been trying to subtly build as many bridges as he can with the Horde and avoiding conflict with them all together. (And yes, that's carried over into what quests I do or don't do.)

In addition, as a monk, Wei is a man of conviction. In accordance with the Tushui teachings, he believes in justice and truth and that patience and wisdom are the best tools to discern what is the right thing to do. So he won't undertake quests that ask him to do things that would compromise these principals, or those that require him to torture or use deception.

Lastly, Wei is very spiritual (again, monk), and he is fascinated by the various faiths of the people he is in contact with. If a quest involves the Light, Shamanism, or other mystical rites, he undertakes the task with an enthusiasm to learn and understand as well as aid.

My current guild is peculiar as it's one of the few at least that I've seen that doesn't take the form of an in-universe organization or group. Overture is just the name of it for formalities, otherwise it's just a bunch of people who happen to be in various levels of contact with each other. My overall RP experience has been some of the most fun, and failing that the most interesting, play in the game.

Edited by Steel Accord

@,

You sir, are speaking my language.

My main is on an RP server (lvl 75 Pandaren Monk) and RP is my whole interest in this game. I mean I do actually play it's solo content but in service to my in-character goals and motivations.

Not a lot of people play Pandaren or Monk in WoW – most players see Pandaren and Monks as a sort of filler that doesn't really fit the lore of the story, so they're not very popular, even in RP servers.

My RP-PvP server is pretty Alliance-sided, though not by much. It was 55/45 as far as I know, but a few years ago it used to be 40/60 and Horde-sided. A lot of servers are facing serious collapse due to unbalanced factions in the last few years – Sargeras and Mal'Ganis are the worst for at least the last five years, having Alliance to Horde or Horde to Alliance dominate in PvP, 10 to 1.

Even Moon Guard, one of the biggest RP servers (though it is also one of the most infamous RP servers due to rampant ERP from spam trial accounts), is facing factional imbalance with Alliance dominating Horde 2 to 1. Same thing is sort of going on with Argent Dawn.

tumblr_mqksziB0MF1scv5xxo1_500.jpg

Not a lot of people play Pandaren or Monk in WoW – most players see Pandaren and Monks as a sort of filler that doesn't really fit the lore of the story, so they're not very popular, even in RP servers.

Are you among such?

My experience doesn't bare that statement out at all. I mean yes, pandaren and monks are the least played but I actually like that, we aren't a dime a dozen; and my character has been enthusiastically welcomed in most RP sessions. (Hell my guild leader is a Pandaren, though I think she's a shaman.) 

My RP-PvP server is pretty Alliance-sided, though not by much. It was 55/45 as far as I know, but a few years ago it used to be 40/60 and Horde-sided. A lot of servers are facing serious collapse due to unbalanced factions in the last few years – Sargeras and Mal'Ganis are the worst for at least the last five years, having Alliance to Horde or Horde to Alliance dominate in PvP, 10 to 1.   Even Moon Guard, one of the biggest RP servers (though it is also one of the most infamous RP servers due to rampant ERP from spam trial accounts), is facing factional imbalance with Alliance dominating Horde 2 to 1. Same thing is sort of going on with Argent Dawn.

Not really sure what I can contribute beyond "bummer." As I said in the character description (assuming you read it and didn't stop at "Pandaren Monk"), Wei Yu wishes to build connections with the Horde so he avoids all military skirmishing with them. 

Are you among such?

My experience doesn't bare that statement out at all. I mean yes, pandaren and monks are the least played but I actually like that, we aren't a dime a dozen; and my character has been enthusiastically welcomed in most RP sessions. (Hell my guild leader is a Pandaren, though I think she's a shaman.) 

Not really sure what I can contribute beyond "bummer." As I said in the character description (assuming you read it and didn't stop at "Pandaren Monk"), Wei Yu wishes to build connections with the Horde so he avoids all military skirmishing with them. 

No, it's just how I feel, since Pandarens are hardly ever seen whenever I RP, though it's most likely because certain races are played far more than others (humans for Alliance, blood elves for Horde usually). I like Pandarens and thought that Pandaria was okay, but some people don't share that same opinion.

Also, faction imbalance has always become a problem. Thankfully it hasn't hit the one I play on, Emerald Dream, but imbalance kind of locks out players from doing LFRs, PvPs, or at its worst even dungeons. It's also been influenced by the decreasing population of players in WoW (sadly).

No, it's just how I feel, since Pandarens are hardly ever seen whenever I RP, though it's most likely because certain races are played far more than others (humans for Alliance, blood elves for Horde usually). I like Pandarens and thought that Pandaria was okay, but some people don't share that same opinion.

Oh I see. Well obviously I like them too. I chose that race because they seem to be the most able to carry the "why the Hell are we even fighting" notion I have better than most other who have some grievances, legit or not. I picked monk because I actually do Kung Fu in real life.

So, more than any of my previous toons, I'm more or less role playing myself.

Also, faction imbalance has always become a problem. Thankfully it hasn't hit the one I play on, Emerald Dream, but imbalance kind of locks out players from doing LFRs, PvPs, or at its worst even dungeons. It's also been influenced by the decreasing population of players in WoW (sadly).

Good you were able to avoid it. Know if it's a problem on Wyrmrest Accord and just didn't notice? 

Oh I see. Well obviously I like them too. I chose that race because they seem to be the most able to carry the "why the Hell are we even fighting" notion I have better than most other who have some grievances, legit or not. I picked monk because I actually do Kung Fu in real life.

So, more than any of my previous toons, I'm more or less role playing myself.

Good you were able to avoid it. Know if it's a problem on Wyrmrest Accord and just didn't notice? 

(( Actually a bit funny that you're doing Kong Fu since I'm Taiwanese myself.))

Wyrmrest Accord is pretty stable in terms of population, faction balance, and other things. Compared to Moon Guard, however, WA is typically seen of having more "organized" RP.

And personally I picked a human paladin for my alt because paladins fit as an in-between of warrior and priest, and human / dwarf paladins specifically have a very deep role in the history of WoW – starting from the creation of the Silver Hand, Uther's influence on it, Arthas' betrayal (which will later serve as the backbone for the Lich King expansion), the creation of the Scarlet Crusade, the Argent Dawn, and finally the Argent Crusade. Therefore they're very involved in the issues around the Eastern Kingdoms, and many paladins were in fact from Lordareon itself, which can be extra backstory.

Also, human paladins share a very complex relationship with the Forsaken; most of the paladins lost their leaders, lost their homes, lost their families, and lost their power. So they're stuck in this dilemma on whether they can remain lawful or righteous, wipe the Forsaken along with the Scourge, or rebuild the lands they lost before.

• Brohoof 1

(( Actually a bit funny that you're doing Kong Fu since I'm Taiwanese myself.))

((Awesome, someone besides me and those I train with who knows the correct pronunciation.  ^_^  Out of curiosity, are you Taiwanese in nationality or ethnicity/heritage?))

Wyrmrest Accord is pretty stable in terms of population, faction balance, and other things. Compared to Moon Guard, however, WA is typically seen of having more "organized" RP.

I can sort of see that, lots of RP guilds and even the informal walk up RPs have kind of a ground rule commonality to them.

And personally I picked a human paladin for my alt because paladins fit as an in-between of warrior and priest, and human / dwarf paladins specifically have a very deep role in the history of WoW – starting from the creation of the Silver Hand, Uther's influence on it, Arthas' betrayal (which will later serve as the backbone for the Lich King expansion), the creation of the Scarlet Crusade, the Argent Dawn, and finally the Argent Crusade. Therefore they're very involved in the issues around the Eastern Kingdoms, and many paladins were in fact from Lordareon itself, which can be extra backstory.   Also, human paladins share a very complex relationship with the Forsaken; most of the paladins lost their leaders, lost their homes, lost their families, and lost their power. So they're stuck in this dilemma on whether they can remain lawful or righteous, wipe the Forsaken along with the Scourge, or rebuild the lands they lost before.

Awesome stuff and good reasons for race and class. My main for the longest time was a Paladin because, well I wanted to play as a straight up hero.

Ugh, every time I get off from the game for a short while, I start to get this itch, where I need to get back and play some more. My game time ran out, and I have a couple toons I'd like to get to max before Legion. The Wrath server I play on is great and all, but gearing is annoying for me, and leveling is a bit of a chore, if I were already at 70, I'd love to head straight to Northrend! But I get impatient sometimes and if something takes too long, I get bored, which is why retail leveling is a lot better for me to get an interesting class to max.

Question is, do I get more game time and play again, or wait til before Legion comes out, which is what I was originally planning?

Ugh, every time I get off from the game for a short while, I start to get this itch, where I need to get back and play some more. My game time ran out, and I have a couple toons I'd like to get to max before Legion. The Wrath server I play on is great and all, but gearing is annoying for me, and leveling is a bit of a chore, if I were already at 70, I'd love to head straight to Northrend! But I get impatient sometimes and if something takes too long, I get bored, which is why retail leveling is a lot better for me to get an interesting class to max.

Question is, do I get more game time and play again, or wait til before Legion comes out, which is what I was originally planning?

That's the issue with both the older WoW expansions and the newer ones. Most nostalgic players call Wrath the "expansion that started to make things too easy". Back then, leveling was very grueling – it probably took several hours to level up, and you expected to get little to no gear from doing dungeon instances, and hell, most players didn't even do dungeons, let alone raids (<1% even saw Naxx, AQ, or Zul'Gurub until Wrath), without a large organized group. Not to mention most graveyards were so poorly placed (Westfall had only one graveyard until Wrath, so good luck corpse walking half the region to Deadmines), and most players probably didn't know how to fully play their class.

And then Cataclysm made it easier to get heirlooms, leveling was faster even without them, dungeons got nerfed after Dungeon Finder became more popular, and everyone had much more access to raids and dungeons. And then everyone complained it got too easy to get to endgame content. Guess Blizzard found it hard to find an in-between, especially accounting for that much stuff from previous expansions.

((Awesome, someone besides me and those I train with who knows the correct pronunciation.  ^_^  Out of curiosity, are you Taiwanese in nationality or ethnicity/heritage?))

Both, I initially played on the Taiwan servers until I moved here and started playing on the US servers again.

• Brohoof 2

That's the issue with both the older WoW expansions and the newer ones. Most nostalgic players call Wrath the "expansion that started to make things too easy". Back then, leveling was very grueling – it probably took several hours to level up, and you expected to get little to no gear from doing dungeon instances, and hell, most players didn't even do dungeons, let alone raids (<1% even saw Naxx, AQ, or Zul'Gurub until Wrath), without a large organized group. Not to mention most graveyards were so poorly placed (Westfall had only one graveyard until Wrath, so good luck corpse walking half the region to Deadmines), and most players probably didn't know how to fully play their class.

And then Cataclysm made it easier to get heirlooms, leveling was faster even without them, dungeons got nerfed after Dungeon Finder became more popular, and everyone had much more access to raids and dungeons. And then everyone complained it got too easy to get to endgame content. Guess Blizzard found it hard to find an in-between, especially accounting for that much stuff from previous expansions.

I play an ele shaman,

finding Leather with intellect is near impossible at my current level. I'm always ooming, even while leveling solo. I honestly prefer the leveling of cata onwards. Now if the end game actually had substance *coughwodcough* I would be more happy.

I play an ele shaman,

finding Leather with intellect is near impossible at my current level. I'm always ooming, even while leveling solo. I honestly prefer the leveling of cata onwards. Now if the end game actually had substance *coughwodcough* I would be more happy.

Cata endgame material was okay, WoD was unacceptable. Blizzard admitted that they hardly added much raids or dungeons because they focused more on solo content (which honestly defeats the purpose of a "MMO").

Also, vanilla was the time where healer pallies and druids had to rely on cloth armor to heal, since most armor weren't updated to deal with other specs until BC. You also didn't have transmogs and were probably limited to a small amount of armor choices to maximize stats.

ALSO NO SELFIE CAMERA

Do you still have to pay every month? If not I will definitely play it.

Still subscription based unfortunately. $13/mo if you're paying in packs of 6 months, $15/mo if each month. WoW tokens can help, but they cost 25k to 35k gold, which is only possible at the higher levels, who can get hundreds of gold without heavy farming and light AH trading.

Edited by Sealand
  • Brohoof 1

Renewed my subscription because I can't stay away from the game for two weeks. Also elemental is incredibly fun and the only caster that doesn't feel homogenized. And elemental looks real good in legion. Elemental is also the only class that feels as fun as it did in vanilla onwards.

• Brohoof 2

Renewed my subscription because I can't stay away from the game for two weeks. Also elemental is incredibly fun and the only caster that doesn't feel homogenized. And elemental looks real good in legion. Elemental is also the only class that feels as fun as it did in vanilla onwards.

I agree but maybe not for the same reason you might think so. I went back to play as my Druid, which was my first class in vanilla even if this particular one wasn't my first character, from my Monk and Sweet Celestia it was like I was playing the game on slow-mo! I went to a battleground and got stun locked, get this, by another monk!

"You know . . . maybe my Monk is my new main for more than just RP reasons." I said aloud.

Cata endgame material was okay, WoD was unacceptable. Blizzard admitted that they hardly added much raids or dungeons because they focused more on solo content (which honestly defeats the purpose of a "MMO").

Well just as one who likes the world and classes, I don't mind solo content, prefer it even. I treat other players as friends who can help, but the journey is still my own.

Also, vanilla was the time where healer pallies and druids had to rely on cloth armor to heal, since most armor weren't updated to deal with other specs until BC. You also didn't have transmogs and were probably limited to a small amount of armor choices to maximize stats.

Yeah less options in both combat and RP or character expression. Yay. (Sarcasm)

ALSO NO SELFIE CAMERA

What's wrong with that? You don't like, don't use it. I didn't even know it was a thing until you pointed it out so it can't be that prominent a feature. 

• Brohoof 1

I agree but maybe not for the same reason you might think so. I went back to play as my Druid, which was my first class in vanilla even if this particular one wasn't my first character, from my Monk and Sweet Celestia it was like I was playing the game on slow-mo! I went to a battleground and got stun locked, get this, by another monk!

"You know . . . maybe my Monk is my new main for more than just RP reasons." I said aloud.

Well just as one who likes the world and classes, I don't mind solo content, prefer it even. I treat other players as friends who can help, but the journey is still my own.

What's wrong with that? You don't like, don't use it. I didn't even know it was a thing until you pointed it out so it can't be that prominent a feature. 

The problem is that people are simply avoiding interaction with others...in a MMO game where teamwork and such are encouraged.

Also, that last statement was meant to be more humorous, I don't think the selfie camera was bad, just mentioned that it wasn't in older games.

Edited by Sealand
  • Brohoof 1

The problem is that people are simply avoiding interaction with others...in a MMO game where teamwork and such are encouraged.

Well if it is encouraged, why is that Blizzard's and WoD's fault and not the community's? Nothing's stopping me from calling up my guild buddies or friends for a dungeon or what have you, in fact it's easier to get the group together now than it was at launch. Adding solo content doesn't take away from the multiplayer. Other than simply creating an alternative for those, like myself, who sometimes just like to go it solo.

@@Steel Accord,The thing is, it is Blizzard's fault. The game doesn't encourage teaming up anymore, there's no incentive to, I'm questing in Felwood currently, by myself, no reason not to, monsters don't pose any challenge at all, and it's no fault of the player. I mean, yeah, before Cataclysm, some players cried for the game to be easier, and Blizzard had to give in.

@@Steel Accord,The thing is, it is Blizzard's fault. The game doesn't encourage teaming up anymore, there's no incentive to, I'm questing in Felwood currently, by myself, no reason not to, monsters don't pose any challenge at all, and it's no fault of the player. I mean, yeah, before Cataclysm, some players cried for the game to be easier, and Blizzard had to give in.

. . . . And? I'm questing in Northrend right now it's an enjoyable experience. I dropped rocks on the Earthen like something out of Norse myth and get to Kung Fu the Scourge into submission. My friend and I doubled up on a dungeon she needed help with and we did some relaxing RP afterward.

Said it on the WoW forum and I will say it here, thank you Blizzard. *Element of Sincerity

Well if it is encouraged, why is that Blizzard's and WoD's fault and not the community's? Nothing's stopping me from calling up my guild buddies or friends for a dungeon or what have you, in fact it's easier to get the group together now than it was at launch. Adding solo content doesn't take away from the multiplayer. Other than simply creating an alternative for those, like myself, who sometimes just like to go it solo.

To be fair, the community is to blame as well, and until late Pandaria I didn't actually go into a RP or RP-PvP server, which are different from the non-RP servers. Players, both old and new, usually speed-level without even bothering to take in anything for the game and possibly not even understanding the setting of it. Some of not just the WoW fanbase, but the entire MMO base in general, have lost their tastes with lore and only focusing on grinding. Even worse, a few don't even play the game and pay more money to have some site bot for them (especially notorious in PvE servers, since they usually have the largest population in general, and most botters look for efficiency by queuing up fast).

I don't want to look at the oldest WoW expansions in rose-tinted glasses, but back then, as complicated and difficult as it was, the game forced you to interact with other players to get things done. Yes, it's more convenient now, but unfortunately some players stop following that idea. You don't see players partying up for a quest or microdungeon anymore, ask others for enchants or jewelcraft, or even doing world PvP (in an equal way).

The closest you can get to that is ask your guild members or your real life friends to help you, but it's not quite the same as befriending strangers and doing random favors. Like I said before, the few servers that can get close to that are RP/RP-PvP servers, where you have an incentive to pay attention to lore, your surroundings, and others, and your actions are more long-lasting and consequential. You can pull off raid trolling or being toxic in a normal server maybe, but doing that on a RP server is a certain way from getting you banned from other guilds.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

The old talent system in WoW had one major positive and one major negative.

It gave a legitimate sense of reward and purpose to leveling up since you received a talent point each level. However the major drawback was that a large portion of the talents were bland, direct, required upgrades such as a damage boost, agility increase, and so on. It was insanely cookie cutter-esque. Nearly everyone ran the same build. The ones who didn't were at a significant disadvantage. With the current talent system, you could pretty much use any talent and not be at a significant disadvantage (other than a few broken talents such as MoP Second Wind for Warriors)

Also on the note of WoD, WoD destroyed WoW. I've been saying it since its announcement - WoD is a filler expansion. It was the first expansion that completely lost my interest from the get-go. I loved BC, WotLK, and MoP, and while I disliked Cata, I at least still had fun in certain aspects. particularly the introduction of Raid Finder and PvP. WoD offers me nothing. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way either. I've re-subbed using WoW tokens several times and quit quickly afterwards during WoD.

Legion looks better, but I'm not pre-ordering. I'll wait for the tide to roll over before I re-sub.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just resubbed before attending the LAN party called The Gathering, which will take place next week.

It turns out I have accumulated over 250 000 gold pieces. Which means I am 1/4th the way of reaching 1 million gold. XD

Then all my characters may buy and Island off the coast of Durotar and retire after years of adventuring.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently doing Rated BG's with my PvP team - loads of fun, especially with some bad ass music in the background.

My idol.

... and of course repping my favorite WoW race, Tauren.

Edited by Guest

I have a gripe with the flying system of flying everywhere now. Before that released I walked or went by horse everywhere and earned the Explorer title and tabard. Now players can just fly over all those areas and get the same credit. I wasn't a fan of the Cata expansion. I had only been playing WLK expansion for about a year (my first time getting into WoW) and I finally had a good idea where most things were and then everything changed and I'm confused all over again. >.>

I also miss class quests. My Warlock still has his special hat from one of the quests.