NavelColt

104 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(technically this is just me scripting for a you tube video)

The 2nd proper episode of the show. Ticket Master.

So I know more then one person In the community that point out, not totally invalid issues with this episode. But over all this is a pretty solid episode.

And I'm going to address the issue that people have with it before actually point out the issues I have with it.

But I just want to make it perfectly clear... I like this episode a lot. Like 4 out of 5 like it.

-

First up: "The ponies are not acting in character or are acting "against there elements."

Second: "Twilight was being a bit dense in this episode."

Third: "Why didn't Celestia" Hail Princess Celestia! "Send enough tickets."

-

I have pretty simple answers or at least thoughts on all of these.

1st: At this point in the show we don't actually know a whole lot about the characters, its actually rather hard to say what is and is not in character... and even with what we know later, none of them are really doing anything out of character.

Twilight Can be a Spazz. And is Spazzing and not thinking strait. (Which is really the answer to the Second point also)

RainbowDash Can be over competitive and stubborn.

AppleJack can be opinionated and stubborn.

Rarity can.... and normally is a total drama queen.

Pinkie is often thoughtless.

And Fluttershy... Well actually flutter shy really dose do much to pressure twilight in this episode. I actually think she kind of forgot that she actually was cleaning because she wanted the tickets.

#2: I actually just addressed that... Twilight was panicking and not thinking... she does that a lot.

#3: And this one... first off I would like to just say..

HOW DARE ANY PONY INSINUATE THAT OUR GODDESS EMPRESS DID SOMETHING WRONG OR INCORRECTLY...

Also. A point that I actually thought of the first time I watched the episode.

We don't actually know that Celestia was not sending tickets to everyone.

We just know that she sent twilight two tickets by way of spike... She might have been sending the others tickets in the mail.

She might have also just assumed that twilight would ask for more if she needed more.

-

Now onto the thing I actually did have issue with....

All the ponies reasons for going to the ball are stupid.... Or at the very least not good reasons. even if they are not bad reasons.

Now before starting this list I'm going to point out that... Yes this is a kids show... and no not all of the ponies would know this, but at least one of them would.

But I use the test of my Nieces for this, and while they didn't point the flaws in all the ponies reasons, they point them out in some of them....

AppleJack: No pony pointed out to her that the event is catered? No Pony? Really? I mean come on.. I can see that she might not know that, or that she might still think there was a chance for some profit, but really? (7.5 on the dumb scale)

RainbowDash: This is less dumb and more... OK its dumb. I would think there was some kind of rule / law against interrupting a flight show... While this is dumb, its also very.... Rainbowdash.... (7.5 on the dumb scale)

The Pink one.... It hurts me to say this... but pinkie actually has a less stupid reason to go then most of the others. I mean she should really know that its not that kind of party. But she seams to have fun the 2nd time around,  when she does know what kind of party it is. (4 out the dumb scale... + 4 because she's the pink one)

Rarity: Wow... just wow rarity... even my four year old niece (At the time) Was like "That's a dumb reason to go." I mean there is no way that rarity should know that they stallion is a huge jerk. but just... Wow... I'm.. yikes... (10 on the dumb scale. The WORSE POSSIBLE REASON EVER!)

Fluttershy: OK so first up on this one.... Way to be rube Rarity... But I hate to say it, this is the biggest issue I have with the whole Episode.

If flutteryshy wanted to go see the garden... She could.. you know... Just ASK.. I'm sure that even if Celestia wasn't going to invite her she would have been like "Oh, hay your that friend of Twilights! You know one of the ones that saved the world.... Sure you can see the gardens on that night. I'll have a guard show you around so no one bothers you, it will be great."

-

Which brings up the real issue... The Idiot ball....

If you don't know what a idiot ball is, go on other to TV Tropes and Idioms and look it up. Its a great website to kill time at... actually don't. I have most likely wasted a year of my life there...

Idiot ball: A moment where a character's stupidity fuels an episode, or a small plot line. If multiple characters have the Idiot Ball, it becomes an Idiot Plot. Temporary (or permanent) Genre Blindness is often a cause of this trope.

-

And this IS a idiot episode.... But its a fun Idiot episode. Because in real life I have seen groups that do this.. I've been in groups that do this. Get so hung up on part of a problem that we don't see the answer looking at our teeth... HA! Pony pun.....

So over all, really fun early episode.

I must say however this episode does feel out of order. Like this feels like a light later episode and not the first one after the pilot. but I think it was put there to have more of a start - end feel to the season.

--------------

Notes!

Alliteration: Wow... There is a lot of it in this episode. Grand Galloping Gala... All that P's in pinkies bit. "Girly Gala Gunk".

Pony Puns: Goodie Four Shoes! Well Wallop my Withers! 

I love what a bad Liar Fluttershy is...

I love the bit where Twilight eats the peddles... because... you know.. shes a pony...

-

Rainbow Dash was napping.. very honest.

Edited by blackstarraven

• 1 month later...

throughout the whole episode i was thinking "why not just ask for tickets for everyone?" but i understand the need for some drama in the episode. i felt bad for poor twilight when she couldn't even eat her sandwich lol. i was very satisfied with the ending!

11 minutes ago, forest said:

throughout the whole episode i was thinking "why not just ask for tickets for everyone?" but i understand the need for some drama in the episode. i felt bad for poor twilight when she couldn't even eat her sandwich lol. i was very satisfied with the ending!

That was part of the test, I imagine. I bet Celestia was hoping she would ask.

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, We. said:

hmm, i didn't even think about that! that makes a lot of sense 

Edited by forest

• 3 weeks later...

This episode is funny I like how Twilight stresses about which one of her friends she should give the extra ticket too but she can't decide who to take with her because all her friends want to go so badly

• 4 weeks later...

Spike might have saved Twilight some trouble if had just admitted that he wanted to go. I don’t think anyone would have argued against that.

Of course, then not everyone would have gotten tickets. :fluttershy:

• 1 month later...

I thought the episode was really well done. Loved seeing the length everyone was going to to get a shot at getting a ticket from her. xD

Also, the fact Twilight was starving the whole time and couldn’t get a decent meal in made me chuckle.

• 1 month later...

This episode has a better sense of humor than the pilot, but the comedy is still a mixed bag. 

The story is kinda stupid. Not all of the mane six's reasons to go to the gala were equal. Applejack clearly had the best reason to go. Also, the story is made pointless with Celestia just giving all of them tickets at the end.

Applejack also has a strangely sexist line near the end and I have no idea why it was there.

Even still, the episode isn't offensive and it is a little charming to see such a simple episode.

Score: 4/10

• 1 month later...

Ticket Master was enjoyable, but predictable. I won't give it major flak for it, but it's at this point you can really tell the type of demographic they were aiming for. The rest of the Mane 6 trying to earn Twilight's favour to get the ticket wasn't too deep of an idea, but it was fun and actually gave some sort of build up the season finale. It was pretty light hearted, even for a slice of life episode, but I'll give it credit for not going overboard and overwhelming the audience after the premiere. I think it did work, since it's quite simple and I feel that anyone can really jump into this one and enjoy it.

Edited by Cash In

• 3 weeks later...

rewatching it now, after i've finished the whole thing, here are my thoughs

starting at the opening scene we get to see Spike bullying Twilight in return, as if it's to balance his abuse on his scene of the first episode, at this point, it becomes harmless sibling quarrel/teasing, and i'm glad they continued this route going forth,then we get to see what each of the mane characters' dream is,(it's nice to see that they've achieved those dreams now, but it does bring the question of whats next? they don't have as clear goals anymore) and what's their aim in life in general, while also seeing some of their tallents displayed as they try to bribe Twilight, the Applejack-Rainbow Dash rivarly is also shown for the first time, in a way we're still getting introduced to these characters, and we get to know them alongside Twilight, it's the perfect episode to follow up the opening two, and is also building up to the season's finale quite nicely, honestly the only thing i have against this episode is how they levitated the tickets in the end, even the non unicorns,makes me wonder how something like that slipped, but i guess the lore wasn't stable yet(forgive my poor horse puns) so the animators weren't very familiar with the whole Unicorns-only-use-that-kind-of-magic thing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode is meh, but not because it's completely boring. It's because the first half really brings the episode down. All it is is the mane six (except Twilight) finding out about the ticket and giving reasons why they want to go. None of the reasons are that enjoyable to watch and it's really boring.

The second half, on the other hand, is a lot of fun. The comedy is a lot better than the first episode and there were many moments where I actually laughed out loud. 

The ending also brings the episode down though. Celestia giving everyone a ticket feels too much like a cop out and I still don't get why the the running gag with Spike was included. It's not funny and Applejack's line at the end still makes me think it's sexist.

Overall, it's a mixed bag. If the first half and ending were better, this would be a good episode, but as is, at least the second half is pretty good.

Score: 5/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not one of my favorites, but it does have some cute Rainbow Dash with her little strut in her narrative and the part where she's trying to act sweet with the cloud opening and giving Twilight some sunlight. Admittedly, I don't care for much else in the episode but hurray for all the friends getting tickets in the end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I really feel for Twilight in this one. I've been in a similar situation where I could only take one or two of my friends to an event, but all of my friends demanded they be the ones to go. Ended up not going to the event at all and actually stopped being friends with some of the people because their reactions to me deciding not to go (in order to not hurt my friends). I am glad that Twilight's experience did not end the same. That being said I think now either get more tickets or just not get them at all depending on the circumstances.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? Do you think Twilight (given her character in season 1) could have done anything to make the situation better?

On 3/18/2018 at 4:19 PM, Will Guide said:

I didn't even think that Celestia could be testing her in some way. Most likely to see how she handled this type of situation. If Celestia knew what Twilight would eventually become, or at least knew she would become more important to Equestira, it would be a really good test. It would show Celestia how Twilight handles not enough supplies to go around. This time it was tickets, but next time it could be food, water, living space, etc. Things that we are facing IRL. Course with it being a children's show and only episode 3 of the whole series that might be reading too much into it lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I like a lot of the episode, its good, silly fun which comes as a contrast to the seriousness of the "hero quest" in the premiere.

But most of the characters motivations don't make sense.

Fluttershy could just ASK Twi to take her to meet the animals in the palace grounds - after all, she is Twi's friend and Celestia owes her a bit of a reward for, you know, help save all of Equestria from the return of Nightmare Moon. She could have an entire day there, while the grounds aren't overrun with snooty partygoers.

Who is going to want to buy apple treats at a fully catered Gala, while wearing their best outfits? do they even BRING money?

It really isn't a pinkie-style party

The wonderbolts aren't going to look twice at a young mare in a party dress and she isn't going to be able to impress them with her flying on the ground. That's what the "best young flyer" thing is for, and she nailed it later.

Rarity is the closest to having a real motive - her ego and self-image make her fantasy of wowing the jet-set and causing a stallion to fall head-over-heels for her is totally believable - as a Rarity fantasy.

Tbh I think Applejack had the best reason also the Tickets remind me of Charlie and the Chocolate factory. It was a good first non serious episode in the series.

Edited by Dabmanz
  • Brohoof 1