NavelColt

104 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Again, this was kinda boring but I never expected Fluttershy to actually stand up to the dragon so I guess I was anxious in this episode, you could say.

• 3 months later...

I loved this episode so much, lol. I kind of preditced fluttershy to do something like that at the end, but it still turned out to be kind of surprising, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It can be a little challenging to re-contextualize the characters when going back. You need to remember where these ponies were at this point in their lives, and that most of the character development hadn't happened yet. I think Rainbow Dash and Twilight are both slightly insensitive here, but that just comes from what they were like this early on. I have a bigger problem with Fluttershy, who's exaggerated here to the point of absurdity, but I do find her fear of her own shadow fairly amusing even if I feel it's a bit much. Anyway, this is really funny, if rather lightweight. I appreciate S1 much more as a whole than in parts, as most of the depth of this season comes from how coherent its character arcs are, especially in contrast with every other season. That said, there's a few early moments of just casual goofing around which I think later seasons miss. I'm probably forgetting stuff from S6 especially ("Applejack's Day Off" and "Buckball Season" did have a bit of it), but somehow this feels more laid back. It's charming. 

Score

Entertainment: 9/10

Characters: 7/10

Theme: 8/10

Story: 7/10

Overall: 78/100

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just watched it and Woah I loved this episode so much. First episode from the season (without counting the premiere) that I love that much.

Love its an adventure with some tense moments and action. Why people say that MLP can't have that asides the premieres/finales? If episode 7 of the show had it. So it not like this show fillers only are slice of life after all! And some people forget it.

I love too that they resolved the whole episode without doing magic. When there was a rock avalanche they run and was some action. If there was an avalanche in newer seasons twilight would just stop the rocks with magic.

Also some complain that new seasons fluttershy has that angry side and doesn't like it. Seems they don't remember this episode either!

Love its focused on fluttershy but it has the whole mane6. Lately they have doing those only 2 mane per episode and I miss those full mane6.

They should bring spike tho. He's a dragon too so one would think he would be useful.

Also rainbow being rude as always but I realized how Apple jack is really caring, nice and motherly. She really treats fluttershy so comprehensive and doesn't judge for her fears and encourage her with kind words to make flutter braver. I really love that and made me like apple jack so much more. Also props to her cause since episode 1 she always stops rainbow dash from doing a stupid thing, and warns her when rd says something rude.

The friendship lesson was kinda a filler (never lose faith in your friends) but it's ok.

Rainbow Dash (while being my least favorite of the mane six due to our clashing personalities) was made into a complete jerk when we've seen her put herself out to defend Fluttershy's shyness before.  I enjoyed Applejack's sweetness though.

It also gets worse when you hear that they know eachother the longest, since they where in Cloudsdale.

tru tru tru those are the quotes of truth

Edited by Tropico

• 1 month later...

3 out of 5 (On my sliding scale of Cartoon Awesomeness)

There is.. nothing I dislike about this..

Its just not a episode that I really dig..

I think because.

I kind of feel that way about... umm.. what's her name..

umm... no no. Don't tell me..

It will come to me...

StutterFly?

ShutterBye?

no...

• 4 months later...

I loved how Fluttershy simply OWNED that dragon! Her fear was getting me really annoyed thogh in the beginning! I don't like how they portray shy characters as cowardly like that. But, she made up for it and Applejack was awesome too! This is definitely my fav episode so far :)

• 4 months later...

I liked this Episode, i thought the jokes were good and i also liked how the Mane 6 worked together. I just found the reaction of the Dragon at the end a little bit laughable. They should have ended the Episode without him crying, that destroyed it a little bit for me. Now that i think about it, would it not have been better if Spike talked to the dragon? Okay maybe he didnt know how to talk to real dragons, since he is still a baby dragon, but maybe the big dragon would have listened to him more than the ponys or felt a little bit more nice towards the ponys, since he would know that they take care of one and that a dragon lives in the place, that hes about to doom.

• 2 months later...

i love this episode and i looove fluttershy lol! i definitely relate to her and i was super happy when she stood up for her friends, go badass fluttershy!

• 1 month later...

Great episode!

Loved the visual of Fluttershy having to make a HUGE jump, only for it to have really been something she could have practically stepped over.

Applejack dragging her the long way is just so Applejack. :lol:

Interesting that she fears flying only in certain situations. It makes sense with her personality.

• 1 month later...

I like Fluttershy but at the same time I was slightly annoyed (not in a mean way... just an impatient way!)

the dragon was cute though. All he wanted was some sleeps :( I’m glad Fluttershy was able to coax him out and get him to shoo without hurting his feelings.

The avalanche was intense though, lol.

• 1 month later...

This episode is okay. There are a of things that I don't like, but there are other things that I really do like. For the things I don't like, Raiinbow Dash and Fluttershy were both annoying. Rainbow Dash acted like a jerk and Fluttershy's shyness was exaggerated so far that it got annoying. Also, Rarity's bit with the dragon did not make her look good.

For the things I like, Pinkie was pretty funny in this episode and just the comedy in general was really strong. It also has that early show charm that just makes you feel good watching it.

Score: 6/10

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

just rewatched it,
an awesome episode i really loved it, flutters being ignored, then being pushed to come with them, and oh my, that climb and all its scenes were priceless, when they get there, everypony's different aproach to wake the dragon are also pretty fun, but there's a single momment that outshines them all, to the point that it makes you forget all the rest

that HOW DARE YOU speech. one of the best Fluttershy momments, and one of the best momments in the entirety of MLP. i believe it's the first time we see Fluttershy be assertive, and oh boy she's as assertive as it gets, compare it with how Angel bunny was torturing her at the start of that very episode and it gets even more awesome. she can be like that, but she does it to protect her friends, not to bully her pets, or even to prevent them from bullying her, that's when she trully became a character, instead of a single trait like "she's the shy one"
an amazing episode, 9/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This one is mostly really boring. A lot of the sequences on the mountain feel too repetitive and the jokes are too few and far between. On top of that, both Dash and Fluttershy are annoying here. Dash for how one note she acts and Fluttershy for how exaggerated her shyness is. 

The only things keeping this from being bad are some good jokes and Fluttershy standing up to the dragon.

Score: 4/10

• 1 month later...

I liked this episode way more the first time around since Fluttershy was nearly tied with Rainbow Dash for my favorite character. Given the direction the series went after this on establishing their friendship as far more long-term than it appears here and dragon lore (the nap, smoke, years thing is never brought up again), the scenario becomes hard to believe and frustrating for me to watch.

But oh well. Here's how I make the best of it. Rainbow doesn't actually take any issue with Fluttershy coming along until after Fluttershy herself tries to squirm out of going by talking to Twilight without explaining why she doesn't want to go, even eventually squealing in fright. It's right after that where Rainbow talks to Twilight, so she seems to sense Fluttershy's scared beyond being a little nervous. I add that into watching her frustration with Fluttershy this episode as knowing her friend can do better if she gets over her nerves, but it takes most of the episode for Fluttershy to reach that point. As noted by Davoo in a post on the first page, Rainbow resigns herself to the fact that this is how it's going to go and is more up front about how she feels on the situation. I'm a little annoyed by Rainbow Dash being annoyed, but....I'm also a bit more forgiving and understanding of it because I kind of feel it too.

It's a Fluttershy episode, but it has several other Rainbow Dash parts I like: the ball bouncing record efforts, crashing in the library and looking cute upside down, the little salute, rallying her friends to take on this challenge, a content little demonstration on hopping across the way on the mountain, dodging rocks during a rock avalanche, and her little nodding smile admitting yes, she did kick that dragon.  Also, hey cool, Rainbow Dash knows how to fly upside down, like staying in place upside down.

The bit at the end between her and Fluttershy about being brave is cute too.

As for Fluttershy herself, she's very cute, and I rooted for her quite a bit the first time I saw the episode, not so much on repeat viewings, but she eventually gets her job done. I guess I still like it, even if I have some issues with it, issues I find more glaring all these years later.

• 3 weeks later...