NavelColt

104 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Today re-watched this, and it was better then I remembered, the interactions felt natural and pleasant to watch. Fluttershy finally got a real moment to shine and there were many great comedic moments like dash just bucking the dragon in the snout. The ending with dash incidentally saying pinkie scared her and then trying to cover it up was very nice. 8\10   

• 3 weeks later...

This is a solid episode. All of the mane six are pretty one note (except Applejack who doesn't even have a personality), but that's not a big problem because they have really cute and fun interactions. I like a lot of the little character moments here like the joking when the mane six first climb the mountain and the subtle reactions they make to each other. It makes their friendship more realistic and more fun to watch. There are a few jokes that fall flat and the mane six can be a bit too one note, but most of the episode is simple fun.

Score: 7/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A classic episode. Simple, but quite effective.

This was where Fluttershy starting having a lot more character and showed us that shyness and skills with animals aren't her entire personality. Despite the episode being centered around Fluttershy, I felt that the rest of the Mane Six were significant enough, so it never felt like nobody other than Flutters had anything to do. Although, I'll be honest, I found Rainbow Dash a lil bit obnoxious when it came to Fluttershy struggling to get up the mountain. She is supposed to be the element of loyalty after all, so I really didn't get that.

I liked that the dragon wasn't really a villain, but more of a general obstacle. I think that worked well with the progression of the episode and the whole idea that Fluttershy is trying to overcome a very large hurdle, by conquering her fear.

I enjoyed the whole adventure aspect of this episode and like I said, the Mane Six all had something to do, so it always felt like each of them had something to contribute. There was also far more chemistry between them here, which made it a lot more interesting to watch. Anyways, great episode overall.

I shall give this episode an 8/10.

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

Great episode.  Had a classical, LOTR-style adventure feel.  The enduring quality of this episode comes from seeing Fluttershy's hidden inner strength for the first time.  Beneath that meek exterior lies the might of a warrior.  When pushed too far, she's a force to be reckoned with.  We gradually saw this strength surface in little ways, here and there, more and more as the series went along, which was very nice.  Her character arc was well done.

• 2 months later...

All I have to say is, GUYS I THOUGHT YOU HAD A PLAN IF THE DRAGON LEAVES HIS CAVE!!!! :glimmer: But luckily Fluttershy was there to save the day and tell that dragon that he had to go :fluttershy:

Overall a good episode, I loved how applejack was so nice to fluttershy, and for some reason I find Pinkie constantly beating Rarity at tic tac toe hilarious :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

I remember watching this one years ago. I quite like it. The dragon just needed a nap and picked the wrong spot lol. Fluttershy is not at all shy when her friends are hurt and she always has a way of solving things at the end. Nice simple episode. I wish the dragon talked more though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Fluttershy is my best pony. :fluttershy: I always enjoy those moments when her inner strength comes out and she gets as tough as she needs to be. I love those moments and so I love this episode :) 

On 2021-03-17 at 10:17 PM, Califorum said:

I wish the dragon talked more though. 

Yes, I agree the dragon could have talked  more, but this doesn't take anything away from this episode for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I already liked Fluttershy from the start, but this episode really made her my favorite. I like this episode so much that I've actually rewatched it numerous times. From the humor to the setting to the synopsis and to Fluttershy herself, this episode was very enjoyable to watch, and it still is today :yay:!

Starting with the synopsis and the theme, it is very interesting. We got a good taste of fantasy adventure with this episode, which I definitely appreciate. Then there is the journey upward and Fluttershy's adorable portrayal. Throughout the journey she made so many embarrassing slip ups due to her fears, which I found both funny and adorable. I don't know why, but I love the funny scene where her wings just lock up and stop working due to her fear. Is that a thing that just happens to pegasi when they get really scared, or is it just Fluttershy? She is so scared and inconvenient throughout the journey, yet I don't mind. It's part of why I love Fluttershy, and it also really shows how much her character progressed as the series went on :squee:.

Then there's there's the scene where they confront the dragon. After coming all the way up, Fluttershy still didn't have the courage to help out. You can tell she feels really bad, but her fear and anxiety are winning her over. But this changes after the dragon sends her friends in pummeling to a rock. Seeing what had happened to her friends, Fluttershy realized what she had to do, and ordered the dragon to stop and asked it to go somewhere else. It showed that while she has her fears, Fluttershy really cares for her friends, and that she is there for them. It was a very satisfying ending!

So as you can see, I really like this episode, and just Fluttershy in general. My only real gripe is Rainbow's attitude toward Fluttershy, but even that can be forgiven due to her caring attitude in Hurricane Fluttershy. Overall this was a great episode, and definitely one of my favorites :yay:!

• 1 month later...

How to describe Dragonshy...

The episode to me, is kinda straight forward. Fluttershy goes with friends, scared of the giant dragon, hesitates many times to reach the top, says she gives up, and finally stands her ground and solves the problem. It's easy to guess where to plot leads in this episode, but hey, can't say no to Fluttershy being assertive, and to a dragon nonetheless. It's also nice to know that Fluttershy isn't always scared, she can take into action when the time calls. Though I'll be honest, if someone slowed me down and high stakes are involved, I'd be annoyed too.

I also think it's nice than that everyone has a way for making the dragon leave that also ties to their personality. Twilight tries to negotiate with the dragon, Rarity uses charm, Pinkie uses laughter, and Rainbow is choosing the direct approach. We don't see Applejack's, but I think I can assume that it's somewhat similar to Rainbow's based on when she used the apples for 'ammunition'. I can also appreciate the dragon not booting them all of them out at the first encounter, only when they're done or did something that alarmed him in a way.

In my opinion, Dragonshy isn't a bad episode, but I wouldn't say it's the greatest, mostly cause I think there are other episodes out there that take Fluttershy's character a bit better

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Episode 7 - Dragonshy

EPISODE SUMMARY
A dragon has taken a nap in a nearby mountain and is snoring smoke all over ponyville. It is up the all the mane six ponies to stop it. Fluttershy isn't keen as she is scared of Dragons and hesitates and causes issues the whole way although not intentionally. Rainbow doubts her usefulness to the mission. Then they get to the top but none of them can convince the dragon to leave. The dragon gets angry and attacks the mane six making Fluttershy mad. She finally finds her courage and yells at the dragon so it leaves. Twilight says she has learned to never doubt your friends as they can come through for you in the end.

MY THOUGHTS
This episode doesn't have much of a moral to it but it makes for it in fun content. The awkward humour and slapstick are all pretty good in this one and it makes for an interesting and fun episode in general whether you like the story or not. I also can relate to twilight being sure of fluttershys abilities and rainbow being doubtful. it is in character and makes sense. also fluttershy being scared of the dragon but facing it when her friends are threatened doesn't feel out of place either.

One minor issue I have in this one is how pointless the involvement of pretty much everyone other than fluttershy twilight and rainbow are in this episode. applejack carries fluttershy up when she is too scared to start climbing the mountain but anypony could do that for the story (probably rainbow). Pinkie sings a song of encouragement which is nice I guess but not needed and rarity pretty much does nothing in this episode story wise except be there I guess and she actually makes things worse. What did they think she could do anyway? Nevertheless, their interactions are kinda cute and help to pad out the episode a bit I guess.

The only thing that bothers me about this episode is the ending joke. Rainbow gets scared by Pinkie making a dragon sound despite this being out of character for rainbow as she showed no signs of being scared up to this point and in fact showed the opposite so this makes no sense. Then Fluttershy boasts on rainbow saying how she is braver than her only to be scared herself which just again isn't right because Fluttershy wouldn't boast like that. I think the roles would have made more sense being swapped here. It's only a small gripe tho.

Overall, a pretty good episode. Good jokes with good characters for the most part and a solid although simple plot and moral.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Always found this to be a good episode. Though Fluttershy being scared of that leaf was highly dubious - but also funny. I like her talent in comforting the dragon. 

• 3 months later...

Can I just give this a shoutout for feeling accurate? When you don’t want to turn someone down because you’re scared they’ll hate you, but you’re going to do something you really don’t want to do? And it manages to show this while also being funny and stuff.

• 1 month later...

What I liked about the episode : Fluttershy making a bunny fire, Rainbow Dash being the element of honesty Loyalty, Applejack being the element of loyalty Honesty, Rarity's giant hats and Twilight being Celestia 2 on Gaia Online.

What I don't like about this episode : The fact the fanmade parody is sooooooo good.

5.5/10, parody is better.

• 3 months later...

Still one of my personal favorite episodes from the early 3 seasons. It really has that "adventure" vibe Lauren Faust originally wanted Mlp FiM to have, which i wish the show itself got more of this early concept inspired by the old generations. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...