NavelColt

60 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

never a fan of CMC episodes. its like seing the same episode with the same plot again and again. even i find the first one annoying (because of apple bloom)

thanks god they got their cutie marks and we finally are moving on.

funny how apple bloom has that friend that acepts her before knowing CMC members but then after this episode they barely talk. ruude

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

All right, at first, when I saw this episode back in 2011, I was wondering about the whole cutie mark thing. And also, midway and afterwards, I was wondering what was going to happen to the friendship between Apple Bloom and Twist. Nonetheless, I now enjoy Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cute. I find Apple Bloom more charming here than in nearly every other episode of the first two seasons, and while her refusal to understand how cutie marks work is somewhat frustrating, it's far less so here than elsewhere, and I love that speech at the end. Alas, while this does get some unintended emotional resonance from certain later developments, it's also a little frustrating to see her get the point so early on and then continue to forget it for the following season and a half. This episode stops dead at the very end to set up the Cutie Mark Crusaders club, but at least that doesn't take too long; I just wish future CMC episodes took a different direction instead of the one they actually took. 

Score:

Entertainment: 7/10

Characters: 7/10

Themes: 8/10

Story: 7/10

Overall: 73/100

• 1 month later...

CUPCAKES! lol pinkie pie never fails to have cute as heck songs. i loved seeing more of applebloom, and i can't wait to see more adventures with the cutie mark crusaders.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see others opinions on if this episode is about finding your talent or a metaphor for puberty. I always took it as the latter.

Unless I’m mistaken, the party seemed to have a couple of other “blank flanks” aside from the CMC. That’s a nice show of how we aren’t as alone as we think. 

On 2/28/2017 at 7:58 AM, Tropico said:

funny how apple bloom has that friend that acepts her before knowing CMC members but then after this episode they barely talk. ruude

That’s pretty funny, but to be fair, I didn’t think they were that close to begin with.

• 2 months later...

This is a pretty good episode. It's simple, but it's also charming and has some solid jokes. It's really interesting looking back and seeing how young the CMC sound compared to their much deeper voices now.

Score: 7/10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode is okay. It's funny to watch Apple Bloom try to sell apples. It's really cute to see Rainbow Dash trying to find out what's wrong and then help her out even if that plan didn't work. Apple Bloom's speech to Rainbow babbling about her feelings is cute too. The rest isn't stuff I outright dislike, just stuff I find okay. Okay, now we know a little more about cutie marks. Okay, let's try eating cupcakes. Okay, now we're trying magic, and it's not working. Okay, we've made new friends. And so on.

• 2 months later...

Overall the episode is pretty good, we learn more about cutiemarks, get introduced to a lot new characters and start the arc of the cmc. Some parts of the episode are amusing, like appleblooms try marketing apples. Sure, some parts felt dragging and unnecessary but the rest is good and really shows appleblooms character. 7/10.  

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Not bad, though back in the day I kind of dreaded the CMC episodes.  I would think to myself, "Why are we watching these stupid brats?  Can we get back to the real cast, please?"  Never would I have imagined how much I'd end up loving the CMC later on.  Their series long arc was one of the best.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another episode that's grown on me over the years.

Bunch of new characters here, but I thought they were introduced rather well. We already knew Applebloom from earlier on, but we got an established goal for her character and more personality, which I never complain about. I found Applebloom quite a fun character to watch and easy to connect to, even as an adult. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are as unlikeable as rotten fruit, but trying to fill the role of the school bullies, which is a little on the nose for me, but eh.

World building is a great as always. Cutie marks are introduced to us and are explained here and I actually rreally enjoyed that. They're explained in really good detail and explored in a really fun way, which turns something so simple into something really interesting. Well, at least to me.

Looking back this episode now, I can definitely see that these episodes were aimed at young kids even more so than other parts of the show. The whole message of trying not grow up too fast and not letting others pick on you for being different are actually quite good and I thought they were done to good effect. This episode is definitely a bit awkward to go back to, but I enjoyed some of it.

I'll give this episode a 6/10.

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts
  • Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara wouldn't act that way around me for long. Applebloom should have really stood up for herself but I am glad to see Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara's antics gave them karma at the end and the lesson was quite valuable.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, I like the CMC and their adventures just as I like this episode. I think this a great and cute one and I had fun watching it. 

Regardless of my personal opinion this episode properly introduces cutie marks for gen 4. At least this is my understanding. Or is there a special or something similar I missed? So there is it least important information/introduction in this episode even if one don't care about the CMC. 

There is a slight plot hole in this episode - I think. Scoots and Sweetie Bell are introduced to Apple Bloom. So they shouldn't know each other yet? In S1E1 in the town hall, those three fillies are hugging each other while Nighmare Moon appears.

• 2 months later...

I actually wanted to call this 'call of the crusaders' instead of by its original name, though I think the episode would be slightly misleading in that case.

Apple Bloom wanting to get her mark as soon as possible is something I can see some people IRL doing, wanting something that everyone has just so you feel can feel comfortable under a certain environment. She's basically experiencing a kind of conformity, and that's what I like about the episode. I think it's a bit like discovering your talent, it's not something you can just force out but is rather done by letting it out naturally. It's something that requires a bit of patience and practice.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were easily the ponies I can see people not liking in this episode, they're your typical bullies that pick on others because they have something that you don't or think something you do is considered to them as abnormal, lame, pathetic, etc. Not exactly ponies that are considered role models or ones you want to hang out with. Still, I'd say I'm a bit curious about the kind of bullies they are and what their standards are aside from just picking on ponies without their cutie marks.

And finally, we've got a new set of characters ready, that being the CMC. I can imagine people watching this wanting to see where they'll go with them and how they'll develop over time. At the same time, I think I'd feel that way if this was my first episode.

• 5 months later...

CMC hooray! ..there's an episode where they cheer it but the hooray part is awkward......

anyway the first foreshadowing of the CMC....

and the anarchy sisters..... I mean silver spoon and diamond tiara.

I consider diamond tiara OP

her cutie marks ability is to get and and tell people what she wants apparently..

• 1 year later...

Perfect episode, though it was almost painful to see how unaware the characters were to AppleBloom's situation, but I loved seeing how the CMC got to get together. Diamond Tiara and Silverspoon are great villains. 

• 4 months later...

Bully 102 ! After Griffons being jerks, we now have rich preppy girls. We should've seen Applebloom throw some bucking kicks in there, put Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon in their place, but I'm pretty sure that would've been another kind of show hahaha.

It's also the episode the CMCs came together, so it gets a bonus point for starting something nice.

5+1/10, violence is not a solution, but it's better than nothing !