NavelColt

72 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Let's take a look at an episode. Fall Weather Friends. Sure.

In the episode, RD thought AJ had cheated (even tho she hadnt) and worse came to worse and it came to a battle of cheating.

Don't you think the episode would be a lot more interesting if AJ had to try and stop herself from cheating, despite RD being unfair (and have AJ win or lose, it don't matter) and have the moral be that just because someone inflicts something upon you, you are not given the right to inflict that on another?

Or am I the only who sees this?

DISCUSS.

• Brohoof 2

@, as your thread directly relates to the discussion of a particular episode, I have merged your thread as a comment in that episode's dedicated thread. Please ensure you use the search function before posting a thread as you might find a thread already exists for your desired topic. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love this one!  It's hilarious as they get more and more carried away, and then don't even realize they both lost.  ^_^

Don't you think the episode would be a lot more interesting if AJ had to try and stop herself from cheating, despite RD being unfair (and have AJ win or lose, it don't matter) and have the moral be that just because someone inflicts something upon you, you are not given the right to inflict that on another?

I think that's a good moral, but maybe it would deserve its own episode.  I personally love how the moral was handled in this one, because it had so many layers- cheating gets you nowhere, getting too competitive backfires, thinking your better than someone else just makes you frustrated, it's better to have fun and take your time than to forget the real purpose of what you're doing... and of course, never let Pinkie Pie commentate anything.  XD  Or do.  Because it's hilarious.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't like this episode to be honest. It sorta got old watching RainbowDash and AppleJack go back-and-forth

(edited)

I think the episode had it's up and downs.

Edited by JonasDarkmane

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Let's be fair here Rainbow Dash cheated and started cheating way more than Applejack.

1. Rainbow Dash started cheating for 10 games when they were neck to neck

2. Sure Applejack thought Rainbow Dash tried to trip her but what do you expect when the opponent has cheated 10 times before?

3. Rainbow Dash thought Applejack tried to trip her. Where in the world did she pick that up when RD was cheating the whole time.

4. Rainbow Dash started the cheat fight when she pulled that branch back and hit Applejack with it

That's Diamond Tiara low there Dashie...

In Applejack's defense, Rainbow Dash has way more penalty and displayed poor sportsmanship. I suppose she outgrown that now?

Edited by cider float

Let's be fair here Rainbow Dash cheated and started cheating way more than Applejack.

1. Rainbow Dash started cheating for 10 games when they were neck to neck

2. Sure Applejack thought Rainbow Dash tried to trip her but what do you expect when the opponent has cheated 10 times before?

3. Rainbow Dash thought Applejack tried to trip her. Where in the world did she pick that up when RD was cheating the whole time.

4. Rainbow Dash started the cheat fight when she pulled that branch back and hit Applejack with it

That's Diamond Tiara low there Dashie...

In Applejack's defense, Rainbow Dash has way more penalty and displayed poor sportsmanship. I suppose she outgrown that now?

And RD concludes that AJ tripped her... when AJ was far ahead of her, so was physically incapable of doing so, and Twilight even points out what she actually tripped on.

Plus, she totally cheated by using her wings earlier.

For a bit more commentary, feel free to check out my review of this episode: https://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-9593-episode-13-fall-weather-friends-grudge-rhymes-with-fudge/

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A decent episode but not one I tend to rewatch. When Applejack claims Rainbow Dash "cheated" because of her wings, I personally wouldn't call it cheating, I would say she had an unfair advantage. I found that claim to be a bit hypocritical since she rode the rope from the hot air balloon to catch up with the other racers when she took a wrong turn.

The highlight of the episode for me had to be the commentary from Pinkie and Spike and I hope to see more interactions between the two in future episodes and possibly a Pinkie/Spike episode.

Actually Rainbow Dash used her wings at the jump challenge to fly so she could win it, that was the begging of the chain cheating that ended with RD again flying at the race when everyone else was running...AJ did not want to cheat but she got caught up in the spirit of the competition and didn't wanna look like a fool getting left behind, if RD would have not cheated AJ would have never cheated, remember when RD started bumping in to AJ and when AJ did the same RD shouted to stop that...really ?!

• 2 months later...

This Episode can be summed up with one video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9-1c7z8zA

The Episodes moral was also another one that also spoke to me. Rainbow Dash and Applejack are very competitive mares and they both like to win, Rainbow pretty much more then AJ. I am also very competitive in most of the things i do, but sometimes it goes so far, that i forgot that it's just game. You should always try your best, but it should never go so far to hurt your opponent, especially if it's your friend.

I freaking loved the commentary segments between Spike and Pinkie Pie. I still like to phrase the "grudge rhymes with fudge" line whenever i get the opportunity for it, because it's so hilariously random.

Nice shoutout to Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, by Twilight having the number 42 on her flank. It fits her well.

Overall, another very good episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Am I the only one who was rooting for Applejack in this particular episode?

Not because I have a "best Pony" or anything, but because Dash, you know, kind of started it.

You're not because I am rooting for her as well

Plus, she totally cheated by using her wings earlier.

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the "Iron Pony" competition rules handy, would you? xD

Whether or not Rainbow "cheated" during the competition seems to be more a case of personal perception than anything else.  In-show?  Only Applejack seemed to take issue with the results; even though the event was seen by numerous spectators, the score was kept by a third party, and the event was commentated on throughout.  You'd think that Twilight would've whipped out a relevant text or otherwise pointed something out had there been an issue.

Do you suppose that the rules explicitly forbid the use of one's wings?  And, if so: In what particular events?  Even if you assert that it was cheating for Rainbow to use her wings during the long jump, what about the...  Fairly odd (and questionably athletic) baby chick transporting event?  At worst, I'd say that Rainbow had an appendage-related advantage.  Don't even mention the tug o' war: Everyone and their sister saw that damn thing happen.  That was ingenuity, in my book. xD  Not necessarily fair, but not necessarily against the rules, either.  I'm not even saying that AJ didn't have cause to object, it's just that...

No one else did.  Like, at all.  Throughout the entire thing.

I'd also like to point out that we didn't even see all of the events.  There's no sure way to know, purely from in-show footage, if Rainbow would still have won even if she'd lost (or been penalized for) the events where she used her wings; though the final score was something like 15 to 5 in Rainbow's favor.  Again, wasn't Twi appointed the scorekeeper and judge?

TL;DR version:

1. What are the competition rules?  We don't know.  Ain't cheating if it isn't against the rules.

2. How come only AJ objected?  (Twi was judge and scorekeeper.)

3. Rainbow might have won regardless of the events where she used her wings.

By the way: "Fall Weather Friends" is one of my favorite season one episodes.  I enjoyed the rivalry between the two pony athletes, and both ponies performed impressively in their own ways.  It was entertaining and ended on a positive note, and I didn't, at the time, feel as though I had to measure the actions of one pony against the other.  Both ponies wanted to win, both ponies did things they seemed to regret, and both ponies managed to forgive one another before the credits rolled.  All of that adds up to a great episode.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

This was a pretty nice episode to show how competition can ruin a good friendship, not to mention having the appearance of Princess Celestia at the end as she is a big lover of the autumn season and the annual Running of the Leaves event in Ponyville.

This gets a nice 9/10 from me.

Edited by Sonic5421

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is one of the best season one episodes.

I really enjoyed the rivalry between Rainbow Dash and Applejack in it and I am disappointed that aside from Castle Mane-Ia we haven't seen any more of this dynamic.

• Brohoof 2

I actually liked it which is surprising because I usually don't like any episodes with my least favorite characters! Don't judge me...this was a really good episode and I liked Pinkie and Spike the most. They were soooo funny. Lol. But yeah, overall this was a really good episode.

• 1 month later...

This is probably in my top three favorite episodes in season one. It was extremely funny and competitive. Just what you want in an episode.

• Brohoof 1

Fall Weather Friends is a very good episode. Plenty of fun moments and a great way to explore Rainbow Dash and Applejack's relationship on a deeper level. The moral is good and the whole competition, especially Twilight's leisurely performance in the Running of the Leaves, was adorable and fun to watch. 9/10 for me.

Oh, and I loved the little Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy references. :lol:

• 2 months later...

This episode was pure action, and was pretty entertaining to watch. One of my favorites from season 1 actually. The rivalry between dash and AJ was pretty interesting, it had some friend AND pure enemy elements in it.