NavelColt

72 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

As much as I complain about this show focusing on action, the action is actually a big part of why this episode is so great. Season 1 is often funny, but this episode is particularly energetic, with constant forward momentum and a non-stop parade of inventive ideas. Goddamn bee interrobang - good stuff. It also helps that each character is at their most entertaining, and that there's a legitimate sense of camaraderie to Applejack and Rainbow Dash's dynamic. I love Twilight taking it easy and observing the scenery, and I love how although she's less showy than Rainbow, Applejack gets almost as caught up in her own ego. Really though, it's the duality of camaraderie and competition between AJ and RD which gives this episode its punch, and although there's not a whole lot left to mine from it, it's always been one of my favourite dynamics in the whole show. Allows for a certain push-and-pull which is always entertaining to watch. And then there's the little details, like Spike and Pinkie's running commentary. One of my favourite episodes. 

Score

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 9/10

Theme: 9/10

Story: 8/10

Overall: 90/100

• 2 months later...

ugh i didnt like this episode. imo boring and basic.

unsurprising that rainbow cheated more than twice. then she was the first to start attacking applejack. why she has the element of loyalty again? ugh :diamondtiara:  also both mocking twilight and at the end literally beating themselves lmao what good friends. 

i would put this episode before winter wrap up (ep 11) tho. feels weird it passed that much time in just one episode between.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i thought the competition aspect was really fun, but i wish applejack and rainbow dash hadn't cheated so much at the end. the conclusion was satisfying though, and i'm glad twilight placed!

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Soooo...are using wings cheating?

Okay, they should be, I admit, but how many times did Rainbow Dash use them with no one (until Applejack in the end) saying anything?

Also, shouldn’t Applejack have her own advantages? I thought earth ponies were supposed to be stronger, and it seems they’d naturally be faster when running.

I wasn’t a fan of this episode. You got two athletes comparing apples and rainbows. I don’t see how they could fairly compete with each other.

I also don’t see Twilight placing anything in a win by reading about racing, unless Rainbow Dash and Applejack were the only athletes competing. I see what their message is, but why not throw in a “I’ve been practicing” line. Maybe that’s supposed to be a given. It’s just not the impression I got.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back on this from watching "Non-Compete Clause," at least this one makes a lot more sense, and it reminds of how far they still have before they get better than they did in "Non-Compete Clause."

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed this episode. The rivalry between Rainbow and Applejack felt like an actual friendly rivalry and not like they wanted to kill each other(CoughNon-CompeteClauseCough) and there were a ton of great jokes.

Score: 8/10

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed this episode a lot. It was quite interesting to see the rivalry between Rainbow Dash and Applejack unfold under different circumstances. While things arguably went too far at certain points, I do understand how heated competition can get, which does give me a larger appreciation of the episode. Twilight being the wise pony throughout the episode, was nice to see. Especially when she walked out with a medal, despite taking a slower approach. I did like Spike's desire to be a commentator, as I remember doing the exact same thing when I was a kid.

Probably one of my favourite episodes of the first season.

• 1 month later...

This is a really great episode. There's enough comedy that it doesn't get boring and the story is really exciting and fun. Applejack and Rainbow have great chemistry here. Much better than the arguing between Applejack and Rarity in Look Before You Sleep.

Score: 9/10

• 1 month later...

I like this episode, consider it a classic for the show overall. I think it's one of season 1's best and by far, the best about Applejack and Rainbow Dash's friendship. We see these two competitors go at it, things get tense, and then they get friendly again at the end. I feel like that shot at the end of Rainbow Dash and Applejack running together is the best moment between these two ponies in the whole series. Their smiles are so genuine, and it's just a generally pretty picture with the fall leaves.

I also like to re-watch the parts where Rainbow wins without using her wings over and over, especially the hoof-wrestle. Her grin is so eager, kind of evil, and Applejack is just so comically stunned.

Another thing I like is that it's cool to see what they're good at, where one edges out the other in certain skills. Applejack is mostly stronger, and Rainbow is mostly more agile, stuff like that. Speed on the ground is (probably) even.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When I just started to watch the show, my favorite dynamic was RDs and AJs friendship and rivalry, and I wanted and episode with the main focus was them competing, so when I got to this episode I was very happy to say the least! 

Sure, this episode has a lot of plot holes but they dont really bother me. This episode is one of my favorite episodes in the first season. I wish they focused more on their friendly rivalry during the run of the show, not as a main focus but something like in castle mania would have sufficed so they would not have brought this back out of nowhere like in season 8. 

One of my early favorites and a good example of how you can make an intense yet funny, lovely and relatable slice of life episode. 9/10

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I never really cared for the RD-AJ rivalry episodes because they often behaved very immaturely.  However, this one was pretty good and cute, and their immaturity could be forgiven since it was so early on.  Now, what's really sad is how they acted orders of magnitude worse in friggin' Non-Compete Clause.

Additionally, I really liked the running of the leaves, and Twilight taking part in the race was so cute.  :D

• Brohoof 1

This episode is so unique, to this day. It is talking about one of those special occasions that was never brought up again later in the show. Why do you think that is? Do you think Lauren Faust was in charge of this episode as well as Winter Wrap-up?

• 5 months later...

I liked this episode. It had a simple plot, yet was very interesting. The Iron-pony competition was fun to watch, and there were some funny gimmicks used during the running-of-the-leaves. Plus, the episode features my second favorite character, Rainbow Dash, as one of the main characters. I often found myself cheering for her throughout this episode.

The main thing that comes to my mind when I think of this episode is actually the Iron-pony competition. Throughout the second half of the competition, Rainbow Dash uses her wings. In the episode Applejack claims she cheated by doing so, yet nopony else does. It makes me think that Dash just had an unfair advantage, and that she didn't technically cheat. Somepony would've spoke out if she was really cheating. Plus, certain things, like the chick carrying challenge, just seemed like Dash using her wings in a clever way.

During the race, applejack used the hot-air balloon to fly ahead of Rainbow. Saying that Dash can't use her wings, but then flying ahead of her, seems pretty unfair to me. Plus, Applejack probably has Earth pony strength on her side. Her accusations against RD seem pretty iffy when all things considered. 

Nevertheless, I found the episode quite fun, and still watch it from time to time!

• Brohoof 3

• 6 months later...

A good and entertaining episode with lots of fun.

The best moment for me: When Twilight enters the race with the number 42. You know what will happen at the end especially with this mocking :b As a nerd I'm completely with Twilight on this one

• Brohoof 1

I love this episode. It's a lot of fun. My favorite moment is when Dash called Twilight a egghead. I thought it was pretty funny and cute when Dash said that.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I loved this episode, AJ and RD go well together and I am glad to see their ship became a thing at the end. I wonder who the winner was. Imagine if it was Celestia somehow. I liked Twilight's idea, sounds like something I would do.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

*finished watching the episode* So Rainbow and Applejack has a rivalry with each other. Huh, some how I see it happening.

Where to start? I can absolutely believe that RD and AJ would have competitions with one another, mostly since they're both strong in their own rights, one being a strong flyer and the other being strong in more general terms. Also, I got to wonder if this was how their friendship started, they first became rivals, then overtime began to get along and became friendly rivals. I think that would be an interesting way to start a friendship between the two.

I think the one thing that confuses me is that there is a tradition for making the leaves fall. Don't leaves normally fall on their own? Though in some ways, it kinda makes sense since it does symbolises that Ponyville is found by earth ponies. Also, I got to wonder why there are plenty of obstacles in the path to begin with, especially when ponies racing that could potentially trip, hit, get lost, or get stuck by them, and considering that there are many of them, I'd say chances are that at least one of them is likely to get hurt like Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

I've got my hangups on the tradition of the running of the leaves, like some scenes that don't seem to makes sense to me and one scene where I can't help but notice some adult humour slipped in. Still, not a bad way to introduce a rivalry between the two ponies.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...