NavelColt

71 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

So part of the moral of this episode is that the customer isn't always right, correct? Relatively adult theme for this show, isn't it? 

Anyway, Rarity always shines better in her own episodes than in supporting roles, and this is an early high point for her. It largely benefits from some of season 1's best humour, but a good chunk of it also relies on that fantastic song. A couple lines are slightly on the nose, but the combination of hearing Rarity's thought process and the song's utter disdain for the mane six's unprofessional opinions is absolute magic. And, for real, this is one of the season's funniest. Fluttershy's freakish knowledge of sewing, anyone? I mean, this is the episode which spawned the immortal "20% cooler" line. It caught on for a reason. Good stuff. 

Score

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 8/10

Themes: 9/10

Story: 9/10

Overall: 90/100

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
(edited)

i love the song so much. one of my faves. 

how bad friends were mane5 ooohmygooood. i understand without the "bad friends" episodes we woulnt have the first seasons and build the characters, but then dont go since episode 1 saying yall best friends lmao 

the dresses were perfect and they didnt like them? unbelieable. its more belieable that the sun is moved by a pony than that  :pout:

I laughed so much with rarity. also i noticed her mane here is shorter so actually she uses fake extensions? OOOH MY GOD :love:  :love:  :love:

sig-4823122.Rarity_everypony_laughing_S1

Edited by Tropico

• 1 month later...

5 out of 5. Amazing.

Rarity has a good song.

Has a GREAT Moral: If some makes you a gift pony don't look at it's teeth....

Wow that didn't come out sounding right.

-

Umm.

If some one does something really nice for you. Don't be over critical about it.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well since i cried a bit during this Episode, i think i have to vote " i loved it ". Rarity made very beautiful dresses and i also liked the two individual Costumes that Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash had. Not sure why i cried, but in the moment when Rarity was able to show the actual dresses that she made and good critic for it, i was just happy i guess.

• 2 months later...

yay, i love this! rarity's song was great, and the ending fashion show was so well done! :D also fluttershy's freaky sewing knowledge was great lol

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I’m biased because I’ve gotten a few too many gifts for selfish reasons, so I wasn’t a fan of the moral here.

Rarity does shine here, but the others?

First they don’t like the dresses, but love the new ones, then change their minds after seeing how others react. So, the other moral is, fit in with the crowd, and don’t be different. Yea?

Also, I don’t like Fluttershy in green. It clashes with her coloring, so I didn’t like her “good” dress either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a highlight of season 1. Everything about this episode works incredibly well. The story is really well done and I really like how the mane six all represent different kinds of customers artists get. The ones who are too vague, the ones who are too specific, the ones who are too practical, the ones who act like they know your job better than you, and the ones that just don't know that they're talking about. The song is fantastic, the comedy is strong (20% cooler may be a dead meme, but it was a really great joke in the episode), and the animation has some really great moments specifically near the end of the song and during the second fashion show.

Score: 10/10

• 3 months later...

suited for success, this.. this was the episode that made me like Rarity more than the rest of the mane6, I just relate to her so much as an artist, I tend to offer to do more than i can chew too often like she did in this episode, and boy oh boy some clients are like the mane5 in the song(especially in the past that i didn't know how to operate my shop very well), speaking of, that song is just amazing, and it's now stuck to my head once more.
the hoity toity disaster could have been avoided easily, since she kept the old dresses, she could have asked them to wear those for the show, and then wear the others for the Gala if they wished, but then we wouldn't have a very fun episode, so i don't really mind it. Spike really upped his game in announcing in this one,
and what may be my favorite part beside the song, is Rarity's break down scenes, rivaled only by her other break downs (in Sweetie belles dream, and when she lost her mane)
overal, a great episode, and i rate it, well.. i can be a bit biased can't i? 10/10

A brilliant Rarity episode.

Rarity's dilemma is something a lot of people can relate to, myself included. It can be difficult to please others, as well as yourself and finding that middle ground can be tricky. So, I would say that it does serve as a decent moral. Art of The Dress is a pretty great song and I felt that the animation here was some of the best in the season - Maybe it was the dresses. I also was caught off guard by Fluttershy's in depth knowledge of fashion - Something that I wish was addressed again (Pun not intended). I'm glad that the Mane 6 could all to a consensus at the end, because I'm a sucker for that stuff.

• 1 month later...

I still really like this episode, but not quite as much. It's a very story driven episode and I don't think the story quite handles the full 22 minutes perfectly. There are parts that feel a bit slow or dry. The rest of the mane six aside from Rarity also feel a bit off, being forced into these roles. Some of these roles fit them but specifically Twilight and Pinkie change a bit too quickly. The second fashion show also isn't as impressive. I think it's because it keeps cutting back to Hoity Toity. Every time it cuts back to him, the scene loses momentum. The Hoity Toity aspect also confuses me. It feels really contrived that this super famous fashion guy drops everything to see a fashion show by someone who at that point is a nobody. 

That all said, Rarity really shines here. She works really well as the protagonist, making enough mistakes to stay interesting and relatable. The song is also a highlight. I love how it shows Rarity's slow descent into chaos with the rest of the mane six hijacking it near the end. The comedy also has its moments. It's not the best comedy so far, but there are definitely some great lines and exchanges. While not all of the mane six fit their roles, I do like the moral it all builds to and the emotion is still presented well.

Overall, still an enjoyable episode, but not one of my favorites anymore.

Score: 8/10 

• 1 month later...

I loved this episode, probably my second favorite of all of season 1. I like Rarity, I like the song, I like the final dresses. I like the 20% cooler line originating here. I like the rest of the Mane 6 here too. I like the flow, from Rarity wanting to do something fun and generous for her friends, the friends wanting to accept, the friends feeling pressed to tell her how they really feel, her finding herself in the tough spot between what they want and what she knows is better, their recognition of her profession giving better insight to better designs, and then them all trying to set it right. The second fashion show is really cool with the magic and presentation. Rainbow gets a great dress. I found the wallowing bit quite funny. All in all, a personal favorite, definitely helped put Rarity among my more favored Mane 6 characters.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Rarity spotlights were always the best, and it started right here.

I'm a fashionista irl, so naturally this episode made me totally gah-gah for Rarity.  I loved her evolving fashion empire related episodes.  Watching her design beautiful dresses is so delightful, and she's such a smart and mature businessmare to boot.

Art of the Dress was one of the series' best songs.  What made it extra great was the extended section with the hilarious talking scenes.  Although, it did kind of annoy me how demanding, oblivious, and crappy the others were being when the dresses were gifts out of the kindness of Rarity's heart.  Still such a great episode though.

• 3 months later...

Fantastic Rarity focused episode! Plus Sondheim-inspired music. What's not to love?

Okay, I didn't know I would really enjoy a rarity ep - she's my least favorite of the Mane Six. But this ep went a long way towards making me like her.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, SomeponySparkle said:

Fantastic Rarity focused episode! Plus Sondheim-inspired music. What's not to love?

Okay, I didn't know I would really enjoy a rarity ep - she's my least favorite of the Mane Six. But this ep went a long way towards making me like her.

That's what a lot of fans think of that episode, myself included.

My favorite part was the comment they made about her becoming a crazy cat lady, for some reason it sounded familiar, I wonder why :huh:...   

• 8 months later...

Its easy to come to a conclusion that'd be very wrong here if you didn't watch the entire episode. Very good moral lesson. Twilight and AJ's dresses are the best to me.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if this episode is an allegory for requests and commissions, cause that's the kind of vibe I'm getting.

Rarity wanting to do something for her friends is something I can believe, mostly because it's a sort of gift giving. Gifts can come in all shapes and sizes, whether it's a dress or heck, a table that they fashioned themselves from someone. (Yes I'm going that far) Though I can't help but wonder how long did it take for Rarity to make all those dress since I find it kinda hard to believe that she could make them in one day.

Now I want to talk about the mane 6, mostly notably on their taste when it comes to clothing. One thing I find weird is that Fluttershy would know so much about sewing even though we've never ever ever seen her sew anything. Maybe she made a few blankets for her animal friends and learned to make more for the other? Maybe I should try to head cannon it? Also, I think the reason they didn't think much when they first saw it is because they imagined it looked good. Simply put, they thought they were pretty on paper, but in reality, they're none of that.

I can imagine Suited For Success being an episode that almost no one in the fandom hates. The song is great, the animation is nice to look at, and the moral is something I imagine plenty of artists can relate when it comes to request and commissions. Nothing is exactly what you want, and that's what makes the final product enjoyable.

• Brohoof 1

Looking back at this episode, I can summarize it with this 3-word sentence: Rarity knows best. 

This episode really showed how what others want could get in the way of what really matters: The best outcome. The others had zero experience in fashion (maybe Fluttershy had some...unless that was a gag by the writers). Still, it almost caused a complete disaster and that disaster made Rarity's friends realize their mistake of letting their selfish demands get in the way of what actually mattered: Letting Rarity create the best dresses with the experience of a fashionista to back her up. 

• Brohoof 1

Suited for Success is a really amazing episode. The song is memorable and catchy, very iconic quotes like 20% cooler, and it has some very funny moments. Plus, I love Rarity's role in this episode. She's very relatable and entertaining.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
(edited)

This episode really showed how great the creators could make the outfits to be.

A more subtle example would be Fluttershy's model outfits in Green isn't your color.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight