• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

https://mlpforums.com/calendar/event/122-%7B%3F%7D/?module=events

Title: A Dog and Pony Show
Air Date: March 11, 2011
Synopsis: While hunting in the woods for gems for a new dress, Rarity is taken by a group of greedy Diamond Dogs and forced to find jewels for them.

To me, I always enjoy encountering new villains. The Diamond Dogs sort of came out of nowhere, but I believe they were introduced well, and got plenty of screen time throughout the episode before they were 'defeated' by the horror that is Rarity whining. Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

Come on, we all know rarity whining is bad, (but not as bad as fluttershy crying) But i still think they should have had all of the mane 6 work with each other, this episode (looking at it as a kid) would seem to make it so whining makes your parents to things for you? Just saying.

• Brohoof 2

I was surprised that Rarity would ever whine like that, but I especially liked the part where Spike rode Twilight like a gallant knight. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Now what about diamond cats? :lol:

Edited by Cherry Blossom

I loved the episode. The fact that Rarity whining wins the battle between her and The Diamond Dogs, and they taught us a good lesson. Rarity is invincible.

Edited by Colgate Revolution

Like Pinkie Keen, I thought this was another episode that sent a very mixed message, but it wasn't until the very end.

The episode was fine for me up until Twilight's Friendship Report. She basically stated that just because someone is lady-like doesn't mean she isn't strong and she can use her wits to overcome all feats. Okay, makes sense, and it's a good lesson, but for this particular episode, it's thrown way out of context.

Rarity's "wits" and "strength" all stemmed through complaining, whining, and then eventually taking advantage of the dogs. She then goes into a massive emotional episode which makes the dogs basically give up all hope and give her all the gems. These are the traits that make children cry to their parents enough times that eventually they give the child what they want just for them to shut up. I don't think that's what this episode should preach to young viewers. If Twilight's message at the end was reworded a tad bit differently, I could accept the message, but it wasn't the case here.

Overall, though, the episode was really epic. Spike the Knight was really well thought out lol.

I loved this episode. not only had it displayed that some ponies can UN-seemingly take care of themselves, but also showed how some people have silly fantasies :P. The protagonists were funny as well and when I heard they were a pop-culture reference is what sparked my interest to find other references.

• 2 months later...

This was among the best episodes in Season 1, in my opinion (although I may be biased because of the LOTR references).  I thought the plot was very well done; the diamond dogs weren't too wimpy, and Rarity really showed a side of herself that one wouldn't expect.  and the Smeagol references.  I just have to mention those again.  They were pretty awesome. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

When I first saw this I really didn't like this episode, I thought it was the worst episode ever. However I've watched it twice again lately just to see if I could find a way to like it. The dogs irritate the living daylights out of me, and whilst Raritys whining is funny, ("I'm not whining, I'm complaining!") the message about whining to get what you want isn't a good one. Empowering otherwise delicate females is, however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Until I saw "Party of One", this was hands down the funniest episode of Season 1 for me, and it's still really close between it and "Party of One".  Both Spike and Rarity are absolutely hilarious throughout the episode, Rarity proves that she can handle herself in her own way, and the Diamond Dogs both made some of the best pop culture references of the show to date but also became unique and original characters in and of themselves.  Of course, the biggest staying point of the episode remains Rarity's antics; after all, it's not the greatest ensemble episode, and Spike, despite being awesome, still doesn't do that much.  But Rarity?  Sweet Celestia, Tabitha St. Germain is simply a revelation throughout the episode; if "Suited for Success" convinced me that Rarity was a great character, this episode convinced me that she's one of the funniest, and solidified my appreciation for the unique style of humor she brings to the show.

Finally, it contained what very well may be still the greatest and most memorable extended monologue from any character in Season 1:

img-1277158-1-laugh.png img-1277158-2-laugh.png img-1277158-3-laugh.png

All in all, this episode is one of the cleverest parodies that Studio B has done yet of the typical and increasingly girly drivel that was produced by Hasbro from G1-G3, and remains one of the all time funniest episodes of the show.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

I don't get the way the Mane 6 saved Rareity, because, if the Diamond Dogs don't know how to find gems and where they all are, how did they know they were bringing Rareity dpwn the path with the most gems?

mlfw8965-Screen_Shot_2013-01-02_at_9.57.

Well, I suppose a bit of random digging could have surfaced more gems than random digging usually does. Nonetheless, there didn't seem to be any signs of digging in the tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is my favorite episode so far!

Apparently Rarity must make sure to be dramatic when she's being kidnapped...

And Spike was so cute!

I especially loved when Rarity was whining.

"But I thought you wanted whiniiiiiiiiing!!!!!"
~Rarity biggrin.png

I really didn't like Rariety in the episode, who just tries to whine to get her way. I underdtand how it might show that who you think is weak in the end is strong, but this deems like it's teaching kids to whine to get their way.

biggrin.png  + unsure.png = blink.png

I really didn't like Rariety in the episode, who just tries to whine to get her way. I underdtand how it might show that who you think is weak in the end is strong, but this deems like it's teaching kids to whine to get their way.

img-1391675-1-biggrin.png  + img-1391675-2-unsure.png = img-1391675-3-blink.png

To be fair, she wasn't exactly whining to get her way. She saw that the Diamond Dogs hated complaining, so she started whining, which is much worse. It wasn't really in her to do that; she basically just added a funny and clever touch to the episode.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

To be fair, she wasn't exactly whining to get her way. She saw that the Diamond Dogs hated complaining, so she started whining, which is much worse. It wasn't really in her to do that; she basically just added a funny and clever touch to the episode.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

I completey agree with that, espically when the Diamond Dogs relized that they were doing all the work and strapped Rarity up again. she immeditly started complaining, and that shows she was doing it in her defense. The problem is, is the kids might not undertsnad this, and think whining is the way to go.. Nothing against Rarity (even though i don't partiucaly like her).

I completey agree with that, espically when the Diamond Dogs relized that they were doing all the work and strapped Rarity up again. she immeditly started complaining, and that shows she was doing it in her defense. The problem is, is the kids might not undertsnad this, and think whining is the way to go.. Nothing against Rarity (even though i don't partiucaly like her).

You have a point. It was probably just a mistake on the writers' part, or they put it in once it turned into more of a teenager show.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite episodes of all times! Very funny! especially the part where spike imagines that he rescued Rarity and they are about to kiss :D also Rarity's whining is just hilarious. Also since Rarity is my favorite pony I instantly love all episodes that show a little more of Rarity. img-387689-1-5e7kmu.png  

One of my personal favourites of season 1. A really great Rarity episode (and a Spike episode as well now come to think of it). Rarity proves that she is perfectly capable of looking after herself, but the episode also showed great development for Spike after sacrificing his gem to get Rarity back, as well as seeing the unity of the rest of the mane6 in their quest to get Rarity back. While the most threatening villains, the Diamond dogs were fun to watch and worked perfectly for this episode....even if they did sound a bit like Golem....