73 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 1 month later...

I loved this episode and it might even be my favourite. Rarity whining was damn hilarious but seeing her cry made me feel guilty for some reason. smile.png

But this part right here was the single greatest moment in MLP ever.

twilight_sparkle_and_spike_by_crusierpl-

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Title: A Dog and Pony Show

Air Date: March 11, 2011

Synopsis: While hunting in the woods for gems for a new dress, Rarity is taken by a group of greedy Diamond Dogs and forced to find jewels for them.

To me, I always enjoy encountering new villains. The Diamond Dogs sort of came out of nowhere, but I believe they were introduced well, and got plenty of screen time throughout the episode before they were 'defeated' by the horror that is Rarity whining.

true that raritys whining is soooo funny and the diamond dogs reaction is awesome but why dosent she ask them to let her to go when they said anything to make her stop stupid rarity

• 2 weeks later...

I really didn't like Rariety in the episode, who just tries to whine to get her way. I underdtand how it might show that who you think is weak in the end is strong, but this deems like it's teaching kids to whine to get their way.

img-1391675-1-biggrin.png  + img-1391675-2-unsure.png = img-1391675-3-blink.png

Well, I would think it would be obvious to kids that the Diamond Dogs were not good characters. Besides, their parents would probably explain to them that Rarity was only whining because she needed to get away from them. This is probably better than that awful Stranger Danger video.

• 1 month later...

This episode is amazing, Rarity's whining is surely one of the most hilarious and adorable things ever. The episode would be pretty perfect actually if not for the somewhat cringe-worty dream sequences though, didn't really like those save for the bulky hero Spike one. :P

• 1 month later...

I love this episode because any episode focusing on Rarity makes me happy, but I thought it was funny, as well as having a nice lesson at the end. I hate when people dismiss Rarity as being weak just because she is a "lady". I think it was a really great idea to show that even characters believed to be weak can be some of the strongest in certain situations. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Just because somepony is lady-like doesn't make her weak. In fact, by using her wits, a seemingly defenseless pony can be the one who outsmarts and outshines them all." 

Do I need to add anything else to that? This episode marks yet another reason why Rarity is my favorite character, and that is her quick-thinking under pressure.

It's easy to write a character like Rarity off as a defenseless damsel in distress (which, indeed, is exactly what her friends imagine about her in this episode), but Rarity flawlessly turns that expectation on its head, using her brain to turn the tables on her would-be kidnappers and getting carts full of rare gems to boot. Far from helpless, Rarity shows just how resourceful she can be in a difficult situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually feel sorry for them dogs come on Rover was sorta adorable  :unsure:  yeah and also he only has the other dogs to talk too i wanna hug him i wanna be his friend even if he does steal MY GEMS i got to chill right...yeah my word usage Rovers sorta alike on the you know side oh precious gems

said that too much don't judge me..

This episode is cool because I love seeing all six ponies working together, even though it was somewhat brief in this episode, thanks to Rarity's hilarious whining. I also loved all of the LOTR references, plus the Stravinsky reference was awesome too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I liked this episode and liked rarity in this episode and made me like her more but i just didn't like it as much as the others,,maybe because of the diamond dogs or not having all the characters as involved?

Edited by madjack2001

• 4 weeks later...

Come on, we all know rarity whining is bad, (but not as bad as fluttershy crying) But i still think they should have had all of the mane 6 work with each other, this episode (looking at it as a kid) would seem to make it so whining makes your parents to things for you? Just saying.

This is how I felt as well. I mean the whining got her what she wanted and got her free, kinda sets a bad example. I enjoyed the Spike and Rarity based episode though. I enjoyed seeing that cool spell Rarity used to find the gems, it's a spell that suites her well.

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Rarity has always been my least favorite of the Mane 6.  Thanks to this episode, though, she has made things a much tighter competition for last.  Well played, Snooki... I mean, Ms. Rarity.

Edited by Washougal_Otaku

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Was anyone else disappointed that the Diamond Dogs weren't killed?  I mean, obviously, I'm sort of joking here.  You know, cause, obviously, kids show, etc.  But I really wanted those pieces of sh*t to get what they deserved.  I mean, forced abduction?  Are you kidding me?   Twilight should have used telekinesis to impale one of em to the wall with a spear, AJ should have kicked another's skull in, and RD should gone all Kratos on the rest.  I wanted to seem em f*ckin dead.  When I watch TV or movies, when I really like the characters, I get really into it, and I get really pissed when a lovable character is treated like that.  So I always imagine what I would have liked to have seen happen to the villains.

Good episode though, with a great moral.

Edited by Justin_Case001

I understand misgivings about the moral, but I don't think it will confuse kids.

And here is why: if a kid interprets it as "whining will get you what you want" then that kid probably already knows that.

Whining to get your way is something kids learn pretty much naturally (since crying to get their way is what they start off doing) and they would only keep it up at this point if their parents failed to discourage it.

• 2 months later...

Rarity had every right to whine. she had been abducted and forced to work against her will.  Also, she was merely complaining in the beginning.  It wasn't until the dogs told her to stop whining when she gave them an example of what whining is. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fun Fact: This episode was aired on March 11, 2011 the same day as the major earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Please Ignore that. That's unintentional and has nothing to do with the actual episode.

This was a good episode. It involves Rarity and Spike finding gems to make more dresses so she can impress Sapphire Shores. My highlight for this episode was Spike's fantasy about him as a grown muscular warrior and how Rarity had a stereotypical princess dress and was referred to as a "damsel in distress". I found that to be funny.

640px-Rarity_kissing_Spike_closer_S1E19.

Edited by TheJLeeTeam

I used to love this episode - I thought it was hilarious, especially at the "Thiiiiis is whining". Now, after seeing it many times, I'm not sure I like it. The moral of the story appears to be: Females, you have the ability to manipulate others into doing your bidding. I don't think is in line with Rarity's generous character. Maybe there's another moral in A Dog and Pony Show that I've missed? 

...but on face value, I really enjoyed the episode. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really loved the obvious act about sobbyness. First time i've seen Rarity play out an act. No dogs can beat Spike, just being awesome.

Wonderful :D

Edited by ShintX