NavelColt

73 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I really liked this episode. I loved the Diamond Dogs as villains. I actually am making sculptures of them (mainly because Hasbro hasn't produced any merch of them, so I figured I would make my own  :) )

Anyway, the "Elements of Harmony" official guidebook has listed the Diamond Dogs as Fido, Rover, and Spot, but I'm unsure which is which (the book doesn't specify).

Does anyone know which Diamond Dog is which?

Thanks in advance  ;)   :D

That's so cool, Mane Stay, can we see your sculptures when you have made them? 

I love Rarity, so watching her talk her way out of a sticky situation is great fun :D However, I love rooting for the bad guys (in this case, literally the "under dogs") and the Diamond Dogs are pretty good villains.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's so cool, Mane Stay, can we see your sculptures when you have made them? 

I love Rarity, so watching her talk her way out of a sticky situation is great fun :D However, I love rooting for the bad guys (in this case, literally the "under dogs") and the Diamond Dogs are pretty good villains.

Thanks for your interest Bit Boss, I only made one so far but I hope to make the others soon too.

post-31859-0-20792700-1489032224_thumb.jpg

post-31859-0-20645000-1489032225_thumb.jpg

post-31859-0-21409600-1489032226_thumb.jpg

post-31859-0-24392200-1489032227_thumb.jpg

post-31859-0-41878300-1489032228_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest Bit Boss, I only made one so far but I hope to make the others soon too.

Wooow he's awesome!! I love his GIANT paws and spiky collar. What a bad doggy :)

• 2 weeks later...

5 out of 5.

Pony Rarity shows why Ponies are Superior to stupid dirt dogs.

And why Unicorns are Superior to other Less Superior but still QUITE Superior ponies.

Almost up to Alicorn Princess Standards... But not quite THAT Superior. ~Raises hoof~ "ALL HAIL OUT ALICORN PRINCESSES! MAY THERE LOVE SHINE DOWN ON US!"

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Funny! All the best gags are packed into the latter half, and the actual storyline is kinda simple and cliched, but it's a pretty good example of how Rarity doesn't behave as a character of her archetype would in many other shows. This is closer to the Rarity I like than many of her other early appearances, as her selfishness has been toned down, and the way she totally played those Diamond Dogs is pretty fun. It's a bit too simple for me to go back to it time and time again, but it also has some of the show's most iconic lines: "But I thought you wanted whining!"

Score:

Entertainment: 8/10

Characters: 8/10

Themes: 7/10

Story: 6/10

Overall: 73/100

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

sapphire was a really pretty pony, and the outfit rarity made was amazing! i don't think the diamond dogs look as cool as some of the other villains *points at avatar* but they served their villainous purpose lol. spike turning into a buff dragon knight was hilarious, and i'm happy they got all those gems in the end.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I didn’t like this one personally. The diamond dogs look strange, like they don’t fit in that world. Their crime of kidnapping someone in the end seems to be dismissed.

I did like the way the others hurried to rescue her, and the way Rarity managed to take charge. I didn’t find it funny though, so the episode kind of dragged.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah. This is a great episode. The action is fun and the jokes are pretty funny, though a lot of humor just comes from Tabitha St Germain voice acting. She was pretty good in Suited for Success, but this is even better.

Score: 8/10

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Never mess with a lady, especially someone like Rarity... Huh, that rhymed. That aside...

This episode, in my opinion, is a gold mine of karma. There were plenty of scenes that carried a ton of humor with them. I'd say the biggest instance was when Rarity 'plays' with the diamond dogs in order to get what she wants. Her ranting on about the difference between whining and complaining certainly stood out to me, but I can see how it can be annoying rather than funny, especially when they had to put up with it a lot. Sapphire Shores was a fun character as well, even though she only appeared in the opening scene and never appeared again until several seasons later.

If I have to nitpick something, it's the diamond dogs. Now I don't hate them, it's just that their motives seems rather straightforward. All they do is find gems... and for what exactly? I kinda wish that there was more context about the diamond dogs other than to just serve the plot for the episode, they just exist and was never brought back up again. Also, I can't help notice that the plot between the mane 6 and Rarity look like they were separated into two halves, making it look like each change of scenery happened in mere seconds.

Overall, this episode is definitely a good episode, filled to the brim with memorable, funny scenes that will always bring a smile to my face. I also like how they didn't make Rarity a princess in a castle just awaiting to be saved; she can get herself out of a situation without needing someone else to be her hero. I'd say it also gave the girl viewers some confidence. It's as they say, 'feminism marches on'.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This was the only episode I ever managed to catch on actual TV, so I've always had a soft spot for it.

This a great Rarity episode, plus Spike gets some time in the spotlight too, which I liked. Once again, I liked the attempt of having a different setting rather than just Ponyville. Yeah, the caves and the valley are dull looking, but it's also kind of refreshing in a sense.

I found the Diamond Dogs interesting. They show up, kidnap someone and we literally never see them ever again.  They're also completely inept villains, but that's the whole joke, so I really didn't mind that all. Humour is the focus of this episode and it's really good. All the gags made me smile. Rarity was also great in this episode. I loved that she was actively messing with the dogs via her own personality. Always thought that was awesome.

I enjoyed this one a lot. It's the type of episode you can just turn on at anytime. :)

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

S1 episode that sets up how Spike will look at the end of the serie ? Was that intentional ? Can Spike read the future ? I don't think so because he could've alerted Rarity and the other that they were slaver dogs in the caverns, that would've saved a whole bunch of time. I'm not a fan of the relationship between Spike and Rarity, always gave me the ick how much she strings him along. Like he's a kid, and your an "adult" Rarity, I'm pretty what you're doing is illegal. Maybe not as much as slavers, but still.

4.5/10, it sure is a Rarity episode.