NavelColt

73 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT <3

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, but I had a personal experience that very much compels me to play devil's advocate on this episode's moral. Particularly, the way Twilight is made to be the bad guy for trying to do other than hiding Fluttershy and Rarity's feelings towards each other.

I had an experience where one of my Internet friends was in a very similar situation in which he felt extremely jealous towards a friend, but the other friend was completely confounded as to why he was acting melancholic. He came clean to me about his feelings, but I tried as hard as I could to push him to come clean to his other friend. When he didn't, I was asked by the other friend about his jealousy, in which case I was at my wit's end. I couldn't keep covering for him, so I told her. At first, he didn't like that I told her, but in the end, they ended up all the better and neither one of us lost any friendships.

I knew fully well that I was risking my friends' trust by doing this. "Green Isn't Your Color", by using Pinkie Pie's now iconic and quotable "forever" and "Pinkie promise" lines, makes that a great point. However, there's a difference between keeping little secrets and hiding your true feelings from another person to which point it puts a strain on your relationship with them. Arguably, had Fluttershy and Rarity not conveniently come clean to each other while Twilight was in the room before the episode's runtime was up, their friendship would have suffered even more than had Twilight spilled, or had she set up a situation in which she could have prodded Fluttershy and Rarity to be more open to each other.

Had they gone the other way about this, they would have gotten a nice moral about how being a good friend sometimes means doing something they don't like. There's more importance and fulfillment that comes from helping them out than just keeping them happy all the time, especially when it comes to being open about their emotions. Sure, Twilight was still going to be seen as the bad guy by Rarity and/or Fluttershy for not staying quiet. However, encouraging them to be more open to each other and overcoming such an arbitrary barrier as "friendly secrets" would have been a better solution than just keeping quiet.

I count Twilight as lucky in this episode. Really, she is the big winner for not having been forced into that situation.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was a pretty enjoyable episode.

I really enjoyed the interactions between Rarity and Fluttershy and I am a bit disappointed that we don't get to see them very often.

• 3 months later...

Photo Finish is like the best character ever no joke. Everytime she showed up with that voiceover and the music started I laughed for no goddamn reason, best episode simply because she's there, lmao.

• 1 month later...

I actually have just as hard a time with this one's moral as with "Feeling Pinkie Keen," if only because it bites into my enjoyment of the episode. Twilight spilling the beans would probably be better for everyone in the long term, but even if she was worried about being seen as untrustworthy, she could probably still advise Fluttershy and Rarity to just... talk to each other. As a result, the ending of this one is a total coincidence; everyone involved should feel lucky that it ended so well, because that seems like the less likely outcome to me. 

This episode is also pretty funny, though not as funny as "Feeling Pinkie Keen," and that one scene where Fluttershy kicks the vase is one of the show's most memorable. It's just a shame that I find it so hard to buy into the most important part of the episode - that Twilight needs to keep the secrets to help her friends. That overcomes the episode's humour enough that I find it very frustrating. Oh well. 

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...

~mumbles~ 5 out of 5.

~Speaks up~

Pony Rarity spoils superior actions from episodes before by being Jealous off Less Superior Pegasus pony Flutter.......

Wait Fluttershy is Hero of Eqestrian Empire.

-

Objection Removed.

5 out of 5. 

• 9 months later...

I liked the Character of Photo Finish and i was very entertained by this Episode and since i dont find anything that bad about it, i voted for " loved it ". Not sure what else to write.

• 4 weeks later...

This one bugs me. Nearly every gag here is terrific, but the actual narrative bothers me on multiple levels. I don't like that this is a story about Fluttershy being pressured into doing something she's uncomfortable with. I think it's awful that Rarity ever pushed Fluttershy to do this, and the episode never really addresses that. I especially don't like how this keeps contradicting its own moral. Everything here proves that no, Twilight shouldn't have kept that secret. All of this would have been solved so much earlier if Twilight had just opened up, or at least told them to talk to each other. Maybe she was right to think giving the secrets away would have been hurtful, but surely there's a more graceful story to be told about it than this.

Still, though: one great joke after another. This episode irritates me, but it also has several of the show's funniest moments, so I can't entirely hate it. It's just so frustrating to be so divided on this thing. 

And season 1 Spike is creepy. 

Score:

Entertainment: 7/10

Characters: 7/10

Themes: 5/10

Story: 3/10

Overall: 55/100

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 8:17 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

I think it's awful that Rarity ever pushed Fluttershy to do this, and the episode never really addresses that. 

Rarity was trying to hide her jealousy about Photo Finish being more interested in Fluttershy over herself.

On 1/29/2018 at 8:17 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

I especially don't like how this keeps contradicting its own moral. Everything here proves that no, Twilight shouldn't have kept that secret. All of this would have been solved so much earlier if Twilight had just opened up, or at least told them to talk to each other. Maybe she was right to think giving the secrets away would have been hurtful, but surely there's a more graceful story to be told about it than this.

Twilight didn't know what to do since she was convinced (by Pinkie) not to spill anything, but of course Twilight could've tried dropping hints. I think Rarity and Fluttershy confronting each other themselves after everything that happened (starting with Rarity watching Fluttershy being humiliated) would've been more genuine on both ponies instead of having someone else push them. So Twilight was really just someone for Rarity and Fluttershy to express themselves to. I guess Twilight could've done more, but I'm not sure what.

Though I think Pinkie should've learned that keeping secrets wasn't always a bad thing.

44 minutes ago, Number62 said:

Rarity was trying to hide her jealousy about Photo Finish being more interested in Fluttershy over herself.

That doesn’t really make me more comfortable with pressuring Fluttershy into something she dislikes.

45 minutes ago, Number62 said:

Twilight didn't know what to do since she was convinced (by Pinkie) not to spill anything, but of course Twilight could've tried dropping hints. I think Rarity and Fluttershy confronting each other themselves after everything that happened (starting with Rarity watching Fluttershy being humiliated) would've been more genuine on both ponies instead of having someone else push them. So Twilight was really just someone for Rarity and Fluttershy to express themselves to. I guess Twilight could've done more, but I'm not sure what.

I just find it irritating that everything in this episode seems like it would have been so much more easily resolved had Twilight spilled the beans. Keeping secrets seemed to do more harm than good. 

Just now, Number62 said:

That was the point of constantly doing so.

I dunno, that just gets under my skin. I guess I can justify it, but it seems almost pointless, even self-defeating. Twilight’s problems with secrets don’t affect the plot much, and I’m not convinced keeping such secrets will always end well. 

• 1 month later...

it's so cute that rarity and fluttershy go to the spa together, i loved that detail! the way photo finish says fluttershy is hilarious, "FLOOTERSHY!" this epsiode was super enjoyable+funny!

"tomorrow a photo-shoot in the park...I GO!" i LOL'd 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2016 at 8:17 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

I actually have just as hard a time with this one's moral as with "Feeling Pinkie Keen," if only because it bites into my enjoyment of the episode. Twilight spilling the beans would probably be better for everyone in the long term, but even if she was worried about being seen as untrustworthy, she could probably still advise Fluttershy and Rarity to just... talk to each other. As a result, the ending of this one is a total coincidence; everyone involved should feel lucky that it ended so well, because that seems like the less likely outcome to me. 

I agree. It was strange that she didn’t push them to talk to each other. I don’t think Pinkie would have had an issue there.

Overall though, I enjoyed the episode. I think it would have been better if they each confided in a different pony, one being Twilight. The other could be Applejack. I could picture her being ready to spill the beans, but Pinkie is haunts her with “Forever!”

46 minutes ago, Meushell said:

I agree. It was strange that she didn’t push them to talk to each other. I don’t think Pinkie would have had an issue there.

In this specific scenario, I truly feel that keeping the secret was the wrong thing to do, but really, Twilight could have left small hints without actually revealing anything, and just suggested they talk to each other. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
13 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

In this specific scenario, I truly feel that keeping the secret was the wrong thing to do, but really, Twilight could have left small hints without actually revealing anything, and just suggested they talk to each other. 

Yeah. I understand why she didn’t. A poster back in this thread pointed out that she’s new to friendship, so she listened to Pinkie. That explanation works for me.  Of course, Pinkie is the same pony who never bothered explaining the sprite issue while asking for help. She’s not the best one to listen to for this sort of advice.

Edited by Meushell
Edited to fix “spite” to “sprite.”
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
(edited)

This episode suffers the most from the "Twilight being shoved into episodes where she's not needed" problem season 1 had. All she does is complicate the story for no reason. Instead of getting invested in Fluttershy and Rarity's surprisingly engaging jealousy story, I'm left wondering why Twilight doesn't just tell Fluttershy or Rarity the truth. It's especially sad because the episode is really good aside from Twilight, with a lot of really good jokes.

Score: -4/10

Edited by bigbertha

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2013 at 3:32 AM, Icy Wonderbolt said:

I don't know about you people, but i just don't like this episode. This episode revoles around a problem that can be good or bad depending on the ponit of view.

I really did not like this episode too.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great episode I really sympathized with Fluttershy being dragged into the spotlight. And Pinkies reaction to Spikes secret even though she probably already knew it was priceless. 

• 1 month later...

This episode is great for the first 13 minutes. Fluttershy and Rarity's conflict is very interesting and there are a ton of good jokes, mainly from Photo Finish. But then Twilight is introduced as a middle mare between Fluttershy and Rarity and the episode falls apart. It goes from being about Fluttershy and Rarity to being about Twilight trying to stop keeping their secrets, which is far less interesting. It's actually annoying how everything could be solved if Twilight just spilled the secrets and Pinkie keeps stopping her from doing it.

This is such a waste of potential. I guess we can only imagine how the episode would've turned out if Twilight didn't ruin it.

Score: 5/10

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Overall the episode was alright, nothing amazing but seeing more of flutters and raritys dynamic was interesting. Pinkies moments with twilight stole the episode! :laugh:   It was very funny.

7/10

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Simple and cute.  I liked it.  Rarity's generous and gracious nature shined very early on in the series.  Wasn't this the one where Spike confessed to Twilight and Pinkie that he had a crush on Rarity?  That was hilarious, the whole thing with Twilight trying to tell Spike that everyone already knows, and Pinkie constantly shushing her and swearing her to secrecy.  It was so funny how Spike continued to act like it was a secret throughout the whole series.  He even seemed to forget that he flat out told Rarity in Secret of My Excess.  I don't think he finally accepted that the jig was up until his song in The Best Gift Ever.  There weren't no pretending after that.