NavelColt

75 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I thought this episode did a good job at portraying the Settler vs Native American Conflict. Better than a lot of other stories, actually. Plus, i cant get that Pie War out of my head. Didnt that remind anyone else of Veggietales?

I'll be honest: This episode kinda saved MLP for me.

When I saw it, I was still trying to be the cold, "tough but fair" critic, and episodes right before it were on a progressively more boring streak. I was downright surprised by how alive this one was. It took on a significant issue as best it could for the age level in question. It made a fair point in the moral it applied to the situation. It brought out everyone's lovable quirks (what with Applejack and her tree, Pinkie Pie finding a way to enjoy everything, Rainbow Dash being brash but ultimately showing a strong sense of right and wrong, etc.). And more than anything else, it just had a strong sense of fun to it, without losing the investment in the characters and their dilemmas. The pie war climax was goofy, but to be fair, it was kind of supposed to be. It found a way to do so much of what I liked and admired this show for in the first place, and I still think it might be the best standalone episode to utilize the entire main cast in equal measure. (Or almost-equal measure, anyway.)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'll be honest: This episode kinda saved MLP for me.

When I saw it, I was still trying to be the cold, "tough but fair" critic, and episodes right before it were on a progressively more boring streak. I was downright surprised by how alive this one was. It took on a significant issue as best it could for the age level in question. It made a fair point in the moral it applied to the situation. It brought out everyone's lovable quirks (what with Applejack and her tree, Pinkie Pie finding a way to enjoy everything, Rainbow Dash being brash but ultimately showing a strong sense of right and wrong, etc.). And more than anything else, it just had a strong sense of fun to it, without losing the investment in the characters and their dilemmas. The pie war climax was goofy, but to be fair, it was kind of supposed to be. It found a way to do so much of what I liked and admired this show for in the first place, and I still think it might be the best standalone episode to utilize the entire main cast in equal measure. (Or almost-equal measure, anyway.)

The Fluttershy is a tree scene has got to be one of the top 3 or 4 moments in animation history if we're being honest ;)

Great take on it. Every pony had nice moments in it, plus it was the introduction of MLP's first gay male character, ooh la la post-7348-0-25524400-1364679411.png

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 2

The Fluttershy is a tree scene has got to be one of the top 3 or 4 moments in animation history if we're being honest ;)

Great take on it. Every pony had nice moments in it, plus it was the introduction of MLP's first gay male character, ooh la la img-3646839-1-post-7348-0-25524400-13646

Thanks. And that last one's news to me, but I'll take it.

• 1 month later...

I liked this episode, The "war" bit was pretty funny ^^ I liked Appleloosa as a town and Braburn, Allthough the town was a bit ti small... Looked a bit, Empty i guess. I'm glad we got to more of it in S5 E6- "Appleloosas most wanted" :)

I did not like little Strongheart though, I don't know why i just dident... I like the idea of having buffalos as the kind of indians there though :)

Not a big fan of that episode, it was ok in my opinion, but nothing really more  -_-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought this was a meh episode. While it had some funny moments (the train sequence with the tree and Rarity yelling at them to be quiet), I thought it had a lot of issues.

For instance, I can't help but squirm at the Native American (buffalo) comparison. Although I'm usually indifferent to Pinkie Pie, this episode was not one of them. Although the tensions between the Appleloosians and the buffalo were already rising, the ill-fated reprise of the "Share" song by her helped spark the fight.

(It's really late here, and I'll edit this when I have time)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

During this whole episode, there was one song that was going through my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vkq2ztxSw

We have to be honest here. This is the pony equivalent of Pochahontas, dances with wolves and Avatar (the James Cameron Movie.) The man from the old world takes away the land, the indians say they where there first, the man dosen't listen, fight breaks out, everyone cries, everyone agrees, the end.

It's not that i hate this episode, or that i want to make fun at our history, it's just that i saw it a million times before.

The inclusion of Appleloosa is a nice one and it's nice to see them outside of Ponyville again. Also, the joke with the two stallions trading places in pulling the wagon is freaking genius.

I really didn't care for the buffalo, since they're part of the predictable story.

The moral is good, but i knew that since the beginning that it was about sharing the land.

Okay overall, but nothing special.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Generic and dull. Also, this episode stands out to me as one where the mane six only ever make the situation worse without really providing any insight into their characters or the tediously bland plot. You've seen it all before. If only there were funny jokes, but there just aren't. Ugh. 

• 4 months later...

2 out 5.

"Worst... Song.... Ever..."

1 MILLION YEARS MOON GOLAG for starting war with Proud Buffalo's... (Without consent of GOD EMPRESS CELESTIA)

In closing. Episode need more Image result for mlp buffalo

Would Ship with Rainbow Dash....

• 9 months later...

I didnt like this one, not only is Pinkie Pie extremely annoying again, but that the whole war just stopped, because they ate some pie...this Episode is just weird. Also not really sure what the moral is. So the People who originally lived in America all this years ago, should be happy with everything that happened, just because they get a little help now? Many of them are still poor, right? And what about the killings? I found this Episode a bit insulting.

• 4 weeks later...

This starts funny, but I honestly don't know what led the writers to think they could pull it off. It's just so reductive, and the complexities of this topic are entirely unsuitable for a show like this. Did you know that all the conflicts between European settlers and Native Americans would have been resolved if only they had compromised? I wonder why they didn't. Then there's the pie thing, which feels to me like the episode just giving up. This never should have been approved. Oh, and the mane six only ever make things worse for everyone in this, just to make it all the more insipid. All the scenes on the train are glorious, though, so it's not all bad; It's not the least watchable episode this season, but it is the least competent. 

Score: 

Entertainment: 4/10

Characters: 4/10

Themes: 3/10

Story: 2/10

Overall: 33/100

• 3 months later...

I liked the beginning of the episode, and I liked Pinkie Pie and her song. Otherwise, the episode was uncomfortable to watch, and the battle was too childish for me. Pies? Really? Hay bales would have been better if they wanted to keep with the comedy.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This is another guilty pleasure. I know the story is a mess and can't be applied to the corresponding real world situations, but this episode was funny. I love when Pinkie randomly started singing and that's what started the buffalo even though it's so stupid. The entire episode is really strange and stupid, but that's what makes it so funny to me.

Score: -8/10

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode feels a bit like a parody of native vs settler stories since it gets so absurd. I really don't see why people take this episode seriously since this episode barely takes itself seriously. It's just focused on being silly and funny, and I think it succeeds at that. The opening sets the episode up so well saying, "Don't take this one seriously". I mean, Applejack is reading a bedtime story to a tree. It would be a problem if the rest of the episode changed tone, but it doesn't. Sure, there are a couple scenes that focus on the story, and those are the weaker parts, but most of it delights in its own absurdity. That's why I don't have a problem with Pinkie. What she does here fits with the absurd tone the episode goes for. 

Score: 9/10

• 8 months later...

I loved this episode a lot, anything that is a reference to the wild west and such gets an easy 10/10 from me haha. And not to mention Braeburn aka best husbando pone makes his debut! :wub: