NavelColt

75 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

So much randomness, but honestly I thought it was pretty funny. Especially when they were all in the train keeping everyone awake, hehe.

The story was well thought out in my opinion. The pies were definitely a random thing out of left field but sealed the story up nice and quick. I liked it.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Pinkie Pie was really annoying in this episode I have to say. I think this episode had poor writing, but the concept was there. Buffalo and the Appleoosa Ponies conflicting over the trees. I feel like the resolve they came up with was pretty smart, but simple. As for the pie thing at the end, I feel like that was cheaping out a little bit. I like the Buffalo, they are pretty interesting as well as the characters they introduced in this episode. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-03-29 at 1:58 AM, Califorum said:

Pinkie Pie was really annoying in this episode I have to say. I think this episode had poor writing, but the concept was there. Buffalo and the Appleoosa Ponies conflicting over the trees. I feel like the resolve they came up with was pretty smart, but simple. As for the pie thing at the end, I feel like that was cheaping out a little bit. I like the Buffalo, they are pretty interesting as well as the characters they introduced in this episode. 

You almost said everything I wanted to say. Here Pinkie Pie annoys even me, and I love her just as much as any other of the mane six. I had initially the same thoughts about this pie thing, but I give the show also some leeway here. It was made for children at the end of the day and this especially true in the first season.

What I really liked was the beginning of this episode. I really enjoyed the beginning of this episode with the mane six in the train. Quiet hilarious! And we learned not disturbed Rarity during her beauty sleep.

But I wonder do we know anything about Bloomberg? He was introduced in this episode but we never heard of him again? I hope is okay and have a fine life ;)

Overall I think it's a good episode :)

• 4 months later...

This could've been a good episode, but unfortunately, all of that was pushed back because of bad writing. Ain't that sad

If I have to say one thing I like about the episode, it'd probably be the world building. The most notably is Appleloosa, got nothing against having a town with an old west theme to it. There's also the fact that the ponies pose as the settlers, while buffalos pose as the natives. The kids watching would probably learn a thing or two about them after watching this episode. Though maybe this would've been played better if the writers told it right, or at least, that's what I've heard about.

Other than that, I have a plenty that I don't like in this episode. First is some of the mane 6 not taking a hint. The part that bugs me the most regarding that is when Little Strongheart and Braeburn met up but Applejack and Rainbow Dash ended taking over the conversation without letting the two talk first. Of course, there's also the gripe that I believe a lot of people didn't like, the terrible writing. I could honestly go on a tangent and say what could be fixed to make the episode better, and the list is longer than it should be.

This episode is... ungraceful to say the least. Scenes that are out right terrible, paper-thin conflict, and the writing all combined lead to this episode plummeting in terms of storytelling. The ok parts like the world building isn't bad per say, but I think they barely make up for the bad parts of the whole thing.

Edited by Reality Check

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've always enjoyed this one quite a bit.

The world building here was quite good actually. One of my favourite parts of the episode was when Braeburn was eagerly explaining everything about Appleoosa to the others. Humour was quite good too, with another one of my favourite parts being the scenes on the train at the beginning. I found the buffalo quite interesting, so it's a shame we never really see them again other than one or two cameos. Especially Little Strongheart.

Like I said, my only issue is some of the writing. Rainbow and Applejack are more significant to the plot due to being close to the two different sides of the dispute, but the Mane 6 overall didn't really do much. I actually didn't mind that in the sense that they were kind of onlookers, but I think a bit more could've been done. Spike was more relevant to the plot if anything.

Not perfect, but it's the kind of episode I can just sit down and have an amazing time with. :)

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 1 year later...

I like this episode a lot, though once again - the only issue I had was the whole pie thing which felt rather strange. Little Strong Heart is adorable. I wish we could have seen the buffalo again and learn more about their culture. 

• 3 months later...

Buffalos are cool, so this episode is cool. It's the far west episode, so it's Cowboys and Indian. At least it doesn't end like the real thing. Everything is solved with apple pie, which should be the only way to solve all international conflicts. Applejack has something to do with a tree, which makes sense I guess. It's just sad we don't see the cowboy ponies more often. At least Applejack wears a cowboy hat, so I'll make it count.

5.5+0.5/10, easy, simple, nothing too much going. +0.5 points for the memes. I also would like to be a tree.