NavelColt

51 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Philomena being a dick ruins a lot of this episode. The parts with just her and Fluttershy are the worst because it's both boring and annoying. It gets a bit better when Twilight is added to the mix, but it's still not that good. At least the first act is pretty fun, even if it's not connected to the rest of the episode.

Score: 5/10

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Pretty good humor in this episode.  It was fun seeing Celestia slumming it with the common folk.  It does always bug me when characters sneak around and do stuff without asking.  Why didn't Fluttershy just frickin' ask Celestia?  How could you frigging birdnap the bird without asking, you maniac?  Who does that?!  What were you thinking?!

• 11 months later...

Loved this episode, it had some iconic moments. Philomena is a really majestic phoenix. I like the way Celestia does 'gotcha'. They are all so afraid of her despite Celestia being a nice princess to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good and funny episode :) I really liked it. I have to emphasis the humor of this episode.

Philomena being a phoenix was a bit to obvious to me, so the reveal had not the big surprise moment. But I give this show (especially season one) some leeway :)

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

Aight, time to add 'pheonix' to the list of species in MLP FiM

One of the things I like about the episode is the references, like Angel Bunny acting like the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland and the chase for Philomena reminding me of Road Runner. (I might be wrong, but that's just what it reminds me of) There's also the part where Celestia acts playfully when she was invited to the party in Ponyville, Trollestia anyone? I think it's also good that she doesn't act like a tyrannical ruler that Twilight thought that she would be. It kinda makes her a bit more likeable in my opinion and kinda shows how much Twilight doesn't not want to disappoint her teacher.

Philomena, in my opinion, is... odd to say the least. Not meaning to disrespect her or anything, but Philomena before revealed that she was a pheonix looked like a boiled, diseased chicken, like nothing about her suggested that she was a mystical creature, let alone a bird made of fire. There's also how the mane 6 acted in the party. Again, not meaning to disrespect. It's made rather clear that they all have they're own definition of casual. Some more problematic than others, but I think that's small compared to the episode's quality.

I don't have any strong feelings for this episode. It's not a favorite, nor is it a dislike, but I think it at least gives Celestia some screentime and character. It ain't much, but it's something. Overall, it's not a bad episode, but it's not exactly one for the history books either.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
(edited)

I like how the episode showed how trying so hard to be polite and not hurt feelings can cause more harm than good.

I loved Philomena's resurrection and Princess Celestia's teacup prank.

This is one of my favorite episodes from season 1.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

• 10 months later...
(edited)

I thought Philomena being a phoenix was actually quite cool. I liked the bait and switch and the fact she's a prankster.

Other than that, there's not really much I can add. Fluttershy kidnapping her and trying to nurse back to health was alright. I think the episode got a lot better once Twilight stepped in. I think it would've fared better for me if the entire ep was both Twi and Flutters trying to help Philomena and butting heads over it.

This episode is alright. It doesn't really stick out to me, but I enjoyed what I saw. :)

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 2 months later...

This episode was always my favorite of the ones I can remember. I love Fluttershy in this episode. Philomena was very funny, and so was Twilight. Very light hearted and funny. 

• 3 months later...

Yeaaaaah, it's all the birds doing. Right Celestia ? You had noooooothing to do with her trolling Fluttershy. You def didn't tell Twilight not to say anything, because Twilight def did her research and found out she was a Phoenix two minutes in. Not sketchy at all. Poor Fluttershy, she thought she was gonna get banished to the moon.

7/10, love the trolling.