NavelColt

79 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I thought it was a pretty interesting episode that looked at Spike and Twilight's relationship. Owlicious could have been a little better characterised though, to me it just came across as a little annoying.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The best scene in this whole episode for me is probably the opening five minutes when Twilight, Spike, and the rest of the Mane 6 and CMC gather to watch the meteor shower.  It's a nice little scene that highlights just how far all these friends had come in the first season of MLP in their friendships without saying too much about it, and I wish we had scenes of Mane 6 get-together's like that more often in the show.

img-1900083-2-SC_55_MLPFiM-24_01_MeteorS

This scene... I LOVE this scene!!!

Same here. Really cute, the young ones standing on their sisters' backs. 'Fact I made two screen grabs of this that could be used as wallpapers.

AWWW!! score #11.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like many Spike episodes, this one puts him in a humiliating situation to demonstrate genuine emotion. Spike's a bit too much of a jerk early on, and Twilight's a bit too hard on him later, but what really comes across to me is how much his jealousy reveals about his relationship with Twilight. Spike can't be replaced - that's absurd. But insecurity is something we all feel at times, and this insecurity says a lot about how much Spike cares about Twilight. That Spike is afraid of his spot being taken shows how much he values that spot. Spike's young and immature, and in a way those childish concerns make this a precursor to "Bloom and Gloom," which I maintain as one of the show's most impressive episodes. 

I think this one deserves more credit than it gets. 

> sees that I hadn't voted on this poll. 

> fixes that

Ok. I am an optimist and a strong apologist when it comes to FiM's less than stellar episodes. I forgive what others see as flaws more often than not. Heck, I even like the character of Zephyr Breeze. 

This episode though. It's really really bad. It took several attempts for me to even finish it over the course of a few years. I was that put off by Spike and Twilight's portrayal. If I were to rank this episode it would likely be dead last. 

• 3 months later...

not a fan of spike. hes pretty annoying kid with annoying actions and dialogues.

I feel bad for him at the beggining tho cause it seems like spike is just a slave mascot. everytime mane6 said "number 1 assistant" instead of "friend" i was like  :scots:  :scots:  :scots:  :scots:

i did like thw "who" jokes, old basic jokes but i laughed. except for the very last one with twilight. pretty unncesary at that point. also the owl breaking the 4th wall and winking into camera was unnecesary too :diamondtiara:

i miss the library treehouse and  mane6 animals, in later seasons they barely appear (except angel and maybe opal) I do not want episodes arround them cause they bring nothing new but at least i wish mane6 mentioned them as a cameo or appeared as backround characters sometimes. 

This episode was excellent. I don't care what anybody else says xD.

Owls Well that Ends Well had some of the most touching Twilight x Spike "sibling" love moments in the entire series. I wish we could see more of this type of thing in more recent seasons :o (I also had no issue with the owl either. The whole "Hoo =/= Who" thing got stale fast, but other than that, it was a great episode. A solid 8 - 8.5/10

• 3 weeks later...

3 out 5.

Meh.

We get it... Spike is Twilight little brother and is Jealous.

Twilight should however get a better pet.. Something fitting. A Alicorn Princess... Sorry for now shouting that, I'm rather horse (No pun intended) After reviewing the other episodes in this season.

• 9 months later...

I thought this Episode was okay. Not sure how a loyal assistant for possibly years, would frame someone else for murder in a madder of a few days, thats a bit extreme, but otherwise it was okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Ooooohhh, big comedown on this one. Again, I just don't find misunderstandings inherently funny on their own, and while this has its moments, I just find Spike's jealousy really tedious. I stand by what I said before about Spike and Twilight's bond, and I still think their actions in this episode demonstrate how much they care about each other, but it's just way too contrived, and that doesn't necessarily mean that I enjoy watching Spike be petulant. By the end it has put in a forced action sequence just because it needed a dramatic climax, and I just don't care. I appreciate a lot what this is going for: Spike's jealousy isn't unrealistic, but that's not a trait of children I find endearing, so as much as I appreciate the actual message, and think the characterization has some depth, I just find this to not be all that entertaining. 

Score:

Entertainment: 3/10

Characters: 5/10

Theme: 8/10

Story: 3/10

Overall: 48/100

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed this episode. I knew from seeing future episodes that the owl was a pet, so seeing how Twilight got him as a pet was fun.

I don’t really see Twilight’s behavior as a problem myself. Spike brought it on himself. Besides, he’s complained about all the help he gives, and I agreed with him then. Now he complains when someone else helps? I get having off days, but Twilight either needed another helper, or she doesn’t. Spike should have known by now that his friendship with Twilight isn’t based on being her servant. 

(edited)
On 5/23/2018 at 2:28 AM, Meushell said:

I don’t really see Twilight’s behavior as a problem myself. Spike brought it on himself. Besides, he’s complained about all the help he gives, and I agreed with him then. Now he complains when someone else helps? I get having off days, but Twilight either needed another helper, or she doesn’t. Spike should have known by now that his friendship with Twilight isn’t based on being her servant. 

Twilight (and the RM5) singlehandedly contributed to the conflict Spike faced.

He's been helping her with her chores throughout his life. Then an owl suddenly shows up, is declared to share his duties, and Spike never gets a solid explanation why. To make it worse, everyone marvels at Spike and his great abilities while waiting for the shooting stars, but they gush at Owlowiscious just as much despite never meeting him, implicating insincerity for him.

Spike's fear he'll be replaced actually makes sense, yet the script instead makes him feel jealous, incompetent, and tells us he's wrong to fear he'll be replaced. Along with the fact that Owlowiscious let her take one of his feathers to make a quill and outed Spike for his accident, further implicating he's just trying to get Twilight to replace Spike with him. All this time, Twilight shows no empathy for him. Her "reason" for hiring Owlowiscious is also BS, because most of it takes place during the day. By how she treated Spike all episode, the story tells the audience she sees him as an indentured servant or slave instead of a mother figure or friend.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

26 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Then an owl suddenly shows up, is declared to share his duties, and Spike never gets a solid explanation why.

Twilight assumed that Spike would be glad to have a little help, and didn't recognize his jealousy. 

27 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

To make it worse, everyone marvels at Spike and his great abilities while waiting for the shooting stars, but they gush at Owlowiscious just as much despite never meeting him, implicating insincerity for him.

I don't think that's a reasonable interpretation of watching your friends dote over a cute animal who also happens to be very helpful. 

Still, Rarity giving him an identical bow to Spike's is just weird. That's where I'm coming from when I say this episode is contrived: to make Spike overreact and lash out, this episode comes up with very specific circumstances which don't always make sense. 

35 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Along with the fact that Owlowiscious let her take one of his feathers to make a quill and outed Spike for his accident, further implicating he's just trying to get Twilight to replace Spike with him.

Except Owlowiscious was just trying to be helpful. Spike began to see things the way he did because the universe appeared to contort itself so he only ever saw things which confirmed his theory. Spike had it out for Owlowiscious from the start, when all he had done at first was help out with some chores. 

Although, that silly owl was pretty inconsiderate of when Twilight specifically asked Spike for help...

43 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

All this time, Twilight shows no empathy for him. ... By how she treated Spike all episode, the story tells the audience she sees him as an indentured servant or slave instead of a mother figure or friend.

I'm not entirely sure what you wanted her to do. Not reprimand Spike for hiding the scorched book? Not get upset when Spike tries to frame Owlowiscious for doing basically nothing wrong? Her tone's certainly harsh, but the episode does demonstrate that she cares about him. 

(edited)
30 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Twilight assumed that Spike would be glad to have a little help, and didn't recognize his jealousy. 

That makes Twilight look worse. She knows him better than anyone and should've recognized it.

I don't think that's a reasonable interpretation of watching your friends dote over a cute animal who also happens to be very helpful. 

Everyone gushed over Spike because of how well he does his work, and Rarity rewarded him with a gem bow tie. The fact that they were so immediately impressed with an owl they never met until that morning is what makes that little rendezvous such a big problem. Rarity giving him a bow tie he clearly doesn't earn enforces those implications upon the entire group.

Except Owlowiscious was just trying to be helpful.

Most of the episode is shown in Spike's point of view, so we never get to see that until the final act. Secondly, Owlowiscious's actions were so conspicuous that it hammers in the belief that Spike was going to be replaced.

I'm not entirely sure what you wanted her to do.

1. Not be so dependent on Spike that she treats him like a slave. Seriously, Twilight, if he were up, you were going to ask him to retrieve your lost quill in the middle of the night? Your magic may not be powerful here, but you could just do it yourself.
  2. Be a good friend and good listener. Use her smarts so she can listen to Spike, look at him from his shoes, and better understand him. Shooing away the possibility that he may be fearful of his worth, not asking if he was okay after looking worn out from trying to find a measly feather for a quill, and waking him up with a start (and scolding him) for accidentally scorching her book escalated the problem and made her look like a terrible friend.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

@Dark Qiviut, I get what you are saying, but I don’t agree with you. @AlexanderThrond responded to your first post about the same way I felt, so I don’t feel a need to repeat the same thing.

10 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

That makes Twilight look worse. She knows him better than anyone and should've recognized it.

I don’t think not seeing his jealousy makes her a bad friend in any regard. Spike being jealous doesn’t make him bad either. The issue is how he went about it. He should have spoken to her instead of assuming.

13 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Everyone gushed over Spike because of how well he does his work, and Rarity gave him a gem bow tie as a reward. The fact that they were so immediately impressed with an owl they never met until that morning is what makes that little rendezvous such a big problem. Rarity giving him a bow tie he clearly doesn't earn enforces those implications.

Pretty much everyone I know does this when someone gets a new pet, so I don’t see an issue here. Owlowiscious is a pet, just a very smart pet as they all are on this show. Spike is a person. He’s not going to to be treated the same way, and it would be demeaning to him to do so.

18 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Most of the episode is shown in Spike's point of view, so we never get to see that until the final act. Secondly, Owlowiscious's actions were so conspicuous that it hammers in the belief that Spike was going to be replaced.

Even with seeing it from Spike’s point of view, I didn’t see Owlowiscious doing anything wrong. Spike, who has complained about work in the past, has an issue with Twilight getting help. Basically, “I want to work less, but I don’t want anyone else to help either.” That’s not reasonable. Her getting help isn’t something that should have to be explained to him.

24 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Not be so dependent on Spike that she treats him like a slave. Seriously, Twilight, you wanted to wake him up to retrieve your lost quill in the middle of the night? Your magic may not be powerful here, but you could just do it yourself.

Which is exactly why getting help from Owlowiscious is a good thing. 

27 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Be a good friend and good listener. Use her smarts so she can listen to Spike, look at him from his shoes, and better understand him. Shooing away the possibility that he may be fearful of his longtime status, not asking if he was okay after looking worn out for trying to find a measly feather for a quill, and waking him up with a start (and scolding him) for accidentally scorching her book tells us she doesn't respect him so much.

She’s largely book smart at this point. She’s still learning about friendship, and therefore missed his jealousy. As for the book, he destroyed it, and he hid it from her. She has a right to be mad about that. 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Meushell said:

I don’t think not seeing his jealousy makes her a bad friend in any regard. Spike being jealous doesn’t make him bad either. The issue is how he went about it. He should have spoken to her instead of assuming.

He was completely justified to assume so. A complete stranger suddenly entered his life and was immediately proclaimed by the superior to be a secondary assistant. Twilight was very vague to Spike in her explanation of Owlowiscious's sudden role, which didn't help relax the tension.

9 minutes ago, Meushell said:

Pretty much everyone I know does this when someone gets a new pet, so I don’t see an issue here.

Owlowiscious was given the same kind of praise as Spike, even though they never met the owl, right down to the bow tie; and this mirror is scripted intentionally to make Spike jealous. When they give someone the same praise, they're reducing their appreciation for Spike to something that was meaningless. Combine that with the fact that even in S1 (OW included), most pets (and a large chunk of the Equestrian animal kingdom) are semi-sapient.

18 minutes ago, Meushell said:

Her getting help isn’t something that should have to be explained to him.

It should be explained to him, because of how it all happened. Spike lost part of his duties without advanced input. Even when he complains about it, it doesn't mean he doesn't love his job any less. It makes sense for him to be so protective and territorial. Rather than have Owlow clean up Spike's chores that morning, why not have Twilight be the one to clean them up instead? Or that morning, Spike and Twilight agree that he can rest and have someone else temporarily take his place while he rightfully rests after staying up so late? Something that won't immediately warn Spike that he'll be replaced by that owl or make her look insensitive.

9 hours ago, Meushell said:

Which is exactly why getting help from Owlowiscious is a good thing. 

Or she can just get it herself or rewrite her letter.

10 hours ago, Meushell said:

She’s still learning about friendship, and therefore missed his jealousy.

Doesn't mean she can't use what she learned over the years or immediately dismiss Fluttershy's aloud fear that Spike may be worried that he'll be replaced. She hatched Spike from his egg and presumably took care of him the entire time. When they're more observant and worried than she is, you're putting Twilight — a character we're supposed to root for — in a really unlikeable light.

10 hours ago, Meushell said:

As for the book, he destroyed it, and he hid it from her. She has a right to be mad about that. 

Doesn't give her the right to slam it right next to him, wake him up from his deep slumber, and treat him like a delinquent for it. Spike made a mistake and hid it to not upset her or make her feel down. Her behavior was abusive.

(edited)

@Dark Qiviut I’m not denying the script’s contrivances, which generally feel too artificial to me to even attribute their behaviour to the characters. But Spike’s assumptions are not the most reasonable, and are all based on limited information and confirmation bias towards a relationship he has weirdly little faith in. Some things, like the bow tie, are hard to view in a positive light, but Spike shouldn’t be jumping to such conclusions without even discussing it, and if he’s not mature enough to weigh his long relationship with Twilight against the owl’s help, that’s not Twilight’s fault. Otherwise, I agree with @Meushell

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 2

The way Twilight could have handled it is that by taking in a pet to help with the load of Spike's chores, she's not replacing him but wants to give him a chance to change his outlook of just being her assistant by giving him more freedom to pursue his own endeavors.

• 1 month later...

When I first watched this episode, it was my most hated episode. Obviously I watched it again and it wasn't nearly as bad the second time, although that didn't make it good. The jealousy story was still uninteresting, the comedy was still unfunny, and the entire thing was still unpleasant, but watching more episodes put this into perspective for me. I realized this episode is not that bad compared to others...

But like I said, that didn't make it good.

Score: 3/10 

• 4 months later...