79 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

On 6/13/2016 at 6:30 PM, twiia said:

This was so bad... As spike episodes usually are.

I agree with this. I've never been much of a fan of Spike's episodes, although I will say they've really improved over the seasons. This one though I'd rate a 5/10

• 4 months later...

I rewatched this with Equestria Daily peeps this week, and while there are some nice moments, this episode felt really meh. Rarity made the same bow for the Owl immediately after making one for Spike, which seemed kinda weird. I feel like there's a lesson about siblings in here somewhere. Twilight said she couldn't see in the dark, but wouldn't she be able to light up her horn? Also the who joke was a little overplayed. Owlowiscious is really cute though!

Twilight_continues_her_evening_studies_S1E24.thumb.png.3ea31ca1db48188a0a3867ff51ee764c.png

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Pretty good.  I think the ending to this episode was the first time that we saw Twilight express to Spike just how important he is to her.  It was a very genuine, touching scene.  I still say that owl's name is Aloysius.  I don't f*ckin' care what anyone says.  To me it sounds like the characters are saying "Aloysius," not "Owlowiscious".  It could be "Owliscious," it's kinda hard to tell.  That's just the placement of the L sound.  "Alo" vs "owl".  But there's definitely not the extra syllable in there, "OwlLOWiscious."  That extra "low" syllable isn't there.  Not to my ear, anyway.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I like this episode. I think an Owl is the perfect pet for Twilight and he's really great. I love Owls by the way (so maybe I'm biased) and I truly love his name Owlowiscious. I'm just sad that there is no way to put his name in my native language in a way that gives it justice xD

I think most people are not happy with Spikes behavior. And it's of course nothing to praise him for. But this still doesn't make this episode bad for me.

And there is of course this Who-joke. Yes, I think the creators more then overused it here. On the other hand, it's show for children.

Good episode and good lesson. Jealously only leads to worser outcomes and at times, I've felt much like Spike here myself. The owel is cute and I love his name, although I wonder what would have happened if Spike got away with the plan he did.

I know that a lot of people hate this episode because of the jealousy storyline, but for me personally, I actually do like this episode. This is the first episode that made me appreciate Spike as a character and his relationship with Twilight.

• 5 months later...

So... first Spike episode, the writers are really not paying any favors to him, aren't they?

First things first, what I like about the episode. Problem is, there isn't much to. This was the episode that introduced us to Twilight's night assistant/pet, Owlicious. It is somewhat intriguing that Twilight now has two assistants, one working the during the day and one during the night. It opens up possibilities on what the writers could do with them. It also showcases Spike's full ability in the beginning as Twilight's number-one assistant, strengthening his character. Unfortunately, this is where my list ends

Now for why I hate about the episode. I get that this is only the first season, but there are a number of things I didn't like. First was Spike's sour attitude towards Owlicious after just meeting him, I was literally thinking 'does he not know that owls can't speak english?' during the whole interaction. Then there's Twilight, her obliviousness to why Spike is acting the way he is and her tone just feels painful to me, especially how she confronted Spike about the book and the setup instead of asking or trying to understand why he's doing this.

This episode really didn't do a lot of good for Spike. The pros aren't enough to balance or outweigh the cons, making this episode a bit painful to watch. Thankfully the episodes manage to get better as the seasons pass.  After all, I don't think some people would want to see their favorite little dragon constantly being abused.

Looking back at this episode, I think that this was one of the better Spike episodes. We all get jealous of someone at some point in our lives, but it's how we handle it...the protrayal of Spike trying to get rid of Owlwicious was the perfect example of the wrong way to do it, because Spike got caught eventually and had to confess...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
(edited)

Remember Owlowiscious? :laugh:

Okay, so I don't hate this episode. I just don't think it has any business existing, because this is the third jealousy episode in Season 1. We don't need three, let alone in one season.

As for the episode itself, I don't think it's bad. Let's start with Spike. Spike is a character I like, but they made him a jerk way too fast. I know the whole point is that he's acting like that out of jealous, but he flipped way too quick. I think if they layered the episode with more elements of it being a huge misunderstanding beforehand, I think it actually could've been better. I think Twilight could've also been handled better as well. Her being dismissive of Spike's jealousy at first is fine, but the fact that she really doesn't actively address it after Spike tries framing the owl is kind of dumb.

In terms of positives, I did mention that I liked a lot of the jokes. I'm probably the only person on the forum who actually laughed at the "Who" joke. I also thought the first half of the episode was decent. The message of the episode was good in concept, but the execution wasn't done well. I did also actually like Owlowiscious, so it is kind of a shame that they forgot about him after Season 5.

This episode has good moments, but there are just too many writing flaws for me to put it any higher than just okay at best.

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 2 months later...

I relate a lot to how Spike feels here. When someone you love starts spending time with other people, it hurts. You feel abandoned. I feel that. Twilight really is such a caring pony, it was a really cute episode. The "Who" joke was funny, if a tad overdone, but it gets the point across. 

• 2 months later...

Spike being jealous of an Owl because he thinks Twilight is replacing him, gets crazy, becomes an evil mastermind and almost ends up roasted. Yeah I feel ya buddy, we've all been there. This episode is alright, not great, not bad. I'm always down for some Spike shenanigans, so I'll let it slide.

5.5+0.5/10, I like Spike so I gave him a little bonus.