112 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

oh okays, i guess i remained ignorant to this info, since my first impression was just the Cupcakes fanfic, so i tried avoiding anything else with the Pinkamena tag.  i'm sorry that i was a fool :(  thank you for bringing this up.  is there any decent fanfic you can suggest of Pinkamena?

There is no need to be ashamed, you were only blissfully ignorant to the finer details due to misinformation is all. There is not need to apologies for something you had no involvement in. I do recommend looking around and looking at Pinkamena tagged things. You will come across true Pinkie Pie/Pinkamena fans that will be respecting both forms of the character. I cannot say myself that I'm huge fan of Pinkie, but I do respect her character whether she is happy or sad. In some ways, she reminds me of myself.

Though, I cannot openly say that I know any Pinkamena related things outside the 'Cupcakes' stuff, but I am sure there are some out there if you look hard enough.

Edited by Vemillia Nightshade

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds really funny. And no you are not the only one who has heard of the helium like noise.  But a party of one would almost sound like something I would also do if I lived in Equestria.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great episode, and shows the depth of Pinkie Pie's character. Seeing how vulnerable she became when she pondered losing her friends was unsettling, and gives a glimpse of her REAL self.

The best bit was the standoff at Applejack's barn with the combination of Pinkie's slanted glare with the ambient music, I can see why this episode caused an explosion of fanbase interpretations of her mental state (including some appalling fanfiction).

So much depth to this show. So awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if it wasn't for Cutiemark Chronicles, this would probably be my favorite S1 episode.

This episode shows a very deep emotional problem that Pinkie has. She hates to be alone and the thought of not having any Friends is scaring her. She is losing control of her own mental stability and goes nuts. It looks funny in this episode and it really is, but this is some real stuff that can happen.

The humor in this episode was also top notch, which i mostly expect from a Pinkie episode. The chase scene with Rainbow still cracks me up and the interrogation scene was also great.

The moral is also great. Expect the best from your friends and not your worst. People are very mistrusting these days, even towards some of their friends, which i really can't understand.

Overall, fantastic episode. Big thumbs up.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite from season 1, Bridal Gossip was very funny too, but I like this one for all out comedy. I think it's still suitable for kids too, mine were 4 and 6 when they first saw it and they were both very amused - easy to tell the comedy value of an episode for them by how many times they ask me to skip back a particular scene so they can watch it again and laugh their asses off over and over, and it took about an hour to get through this one ^_^

Certainly more suitable than some things apparently for children. When I was 5 I watched the original Alien, and Watership Down a few weeks apart - and Watership Down really creeped me out. I still wouldn't watch it now.

• 2 months later...

THIS is my MOST FAVORITE episode of all time. I dont knwo why but her craziness, and her silly party with teh flour and everything, it all jsut cracks me up. when she hits her head against the barn door, i bust up laughing every time. i find it much funnier than it probably is, but i LOVE this episode, so much, speaks very much to how i think some of us feel like when everyone avoiding us, or hiding things, that maybe our friends are who we thoguht we are, or that we all kinda feel alone sometimes, but im grateful i have great friends :)

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pinkie Pie is really awesome in this episode. Better then Rainbow dash.

>_>  Excuse me?

Ya I said it.

>_> You are the worst

Stfu

me being a large pinkie pie fan i think this episode is certainly her best episode that she is the main charicter. what i particularly like about this episode is that pinkie goes into a pesamistic crazy mode. and it has rockys debut.

I agree. She is totally better then Rainbow Dash too.

>_> : will you stop saying that??

Me: If you don't stop interrupting my conversations, I will.

>_> : Ok, I will, moron...

Me: Shut up RD

Gosh, she is annoying, sorry about that :/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ha! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! *cough* *cough*   :blink:  ...sorry for that  :lol: the first time i see the episode it was like  :wacko:

for the ENTIRE episode ESPECIALLY the part of pinki talking with herself? or whit the things? 

when i finish the episode 

OK IM DONE. * faints*

• 4 weeks later...

I'm weird in the fact that this episode is one that I've felt I could relate to on some level. I have schizophrenia and a big part of that is paranoia, including things like suspecting bad things from people, even friends. In some ways Pinkie's paranoia reminded me of my own, though hers was far more... dramatic and cartoonish.

And yes, there's the scene where Pinkie basically goes psychotic. What bothers me about this is not the scene itself as much as fan's reactions to it. Namely, the whole "Pinkamena the crazy psycho" thing. IT bothers me because it reinforces the completely untrue (to say the least) stereotype that all paranoid, schizophrenic, psychotic and even mentally ill people in general are evil crazy dangerous violent creeps. I hate that stereotype with a passion. As much as I love the brony fandom, what it's done with the whole "Pinkamena" thing is cringe-worthy to me. It also reinforces the "All mentally ill people are crazy" stereotype.

I don't blame the episode for this. It is a great episode, it teaches a good lesson (regardless of if you actually have a mental illness or not), and the "psychotic" scene was handled very well. It also showed that just because someone's paranoid doesn't mean they're a bad person, they just need to be helped and shown that not everyone's out to get them. Pinkie was back to her normal self at the end, showing that yes, good people can have issues but in the end they're still good people.

Also, the BGM that played during the "psychotic" scene was amazing. Like one of the best pieces of music in the series.

(Oh, and no, I don't talk to things like piles of rocks and sacks of flour. I relate in a more metaphorical way, not a literal one.)

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Most of the episode takes Pinkie's particularly silly personality and combines that with a series of understandings to great comic effect, but there's also a subtly building tension as she grows more and more aggravated with all of the evidence which seems to point to her friends trying to ditch her. Even so, there's so much inventive imagery, and the simple choices of what Pinkie does and doesn't accept (ex. she can accept all of her friends' blatant lies individually, but only when considered together do they become too much) are greatly amusing. It's a total blast to see this pileup of poor word choices and lines heard out of context lead up to Pinkie's increasing agitation, and it's not hard to see how her lack of context leads her to the wrong conclusion, or how that conclusion would upset her greatly. Oh, and this thing is absolutely hilarious, too. I mean, that Spike scene is one of the season's funniest. 

Then the episode goes totally off the rails, and it makes for one of the most memorably off-kilter scenes the show has ever had. Pinkie values her friendships greatly, so when she comes to the silly conclusion that her friends don't like her anymore, it's a severe blow to her self-esteem. The whole ventriloquist act? That's an attempt to justify it to herself, and an attempt to overcompensate for the sudden loneliness she's doubtless feeling. It's weird and unsettling, but it's also based in deep, genuine emotion. It probably helps that I think this show is at its best when one of the main characters is suffering from significant anxiety or insecurity, but rarely does the show depict those anxieties in such an unusual way. 

The way all of this builds up complements the moral perfectly. Pinkie is led to make some poor assumptions of her friends, but when she learns the real reason, she realizes how silly she was to come to those conclusions. This episode holds up really well on re-watch, because knowing what the mane five are doing makes it clearer why they might be saying the things they are. I just love this one so much. It's the kind of episode which made me realize how much hidden depth these characters had, and one of the first to really dive deep into that. One of the greats. 

Score:

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 10/10

Theme: 10/10

Story: 10/10

Overall: 100/100