• Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've started watching from the beginning again and this was such a fun episode! 

Best part by far was when Fluttershy burst in and shouted "you..are going to LOVE ME!"

I do that all the time when I am playing with my girls, they will be all upset at me for something and not want to give me a hug. I will follow them around trying to get a hug and kiss and they say "No mama" lol. So I snuggle them and tell them that they will hug me, and they will like it! lol

• 2 weeks later...

This was a pretty good episode. Fluttershy was kinda ( what's the word) weird

Should have called it 'The Worst Night Ever.' The title made me believe it to be a good episode, and I was disappointed.

Same with me. I also thought that it would be a much better episode.

(edited)

Even though this isn't my favorite finale, I still find this to be a pretty entertaining episode and a nice way to end the first season.

Edited by cmarston1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Truthfully I hadn't even started watching the show until near season 3 ending. However, I went back and honestly it's one of my favorite season 1 episodes. It's quite clever and funny seeing how things dont always go well in this happy go lucky show. Their expectations were so high; for sure, I thought, flutters will get her way! Lol, turns out her flipping out was the best scene of the season (in my opinion)

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Season 1 is a show about how six ponies with different interests, backgrounds, and personalities formed strong bonds while pursuing their passions. "The Best Night Ever" dangles those passions in front of their faces, and has them all screw up spectacularly. The scenarios are inventive and the humour is on point, but even though this wasn't supposed to be a finale (as far as I know), it perfectly encapsulates everything the season had built up. All six of the episode's different storylines tie back to the characters' interests and dreams, and when they screw that up, it turns out they still have each other. Their bonds have become strong enough that they can confide in the misery of the night together, and later they can laugh at its absurdity together. At the start of the season, these ponies barely new each other. At the end, they're thick as thieves. Season 1 might not be the show's best, but it's arguably the show's most controlled season, and those growing friendships mean much more to me than the frivolous "story arcs" in recent seasons. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to find new things to say about this one anymore, and I've watched it so many times that the magic of most individual moments has worn off slightly, but I did make a couple new observations. 

First, the episode takes on a new poignancy, specifically regarding Rainbow and Rarity's stories, given recent developments in their lives. Rainbow being so excited simply to spend some time with the Wonderbolts takes on a different tone now that she's become one herself, reminding me of just how far she's come. Makes me kinda emotional. 

Meanwhile, Rarity's infatuation with Blueblood stems from a desire to live an idealized "upper class" lifestyle, based partially on the fairytales she probably absorbed in her childhood. Season 2 and season 5 both gave her gateways to that Canterlot world, but "Sweet and Elite" was all about her deciding to place her friends first, and by "Canterlot Boutique," where she's built another inroad through tons of hard work, she doesn't even bat an eye at putting Ponyville first. It gives her arc here, where she's still chasing that fairytale ideal, an irony which it didn't really have before - aside from one incongruous incident in season 4, she hasn't fallen for some Canterlot type since, which demonstrates just how much more grounded she's become. 

I've also picked up something about a link between the mane six's actions here and their egos, but I haven't really developed that enough to put it together yet. Regardless, "The Best Night Ever" is still every bit as perfect as it's always been, and it's hard to imagine season 1 having a more satisfying conclusion. If every finale was just like this, I'm not sure I would complain. 

Score

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 10/10

Themes: 10/10

Story: 10/10

Overall: 100/100

• 1 month later...

i just loved the idea of the gala, it was so chaotic! i really enjoyed when they met at the donut shop and princess celestia said it was meant to be that way! BEST NIGHT EVER

OMG you are so right! this episode made princess celestia my FAVE XD! *brohoof*

• 2 months later...
(edited)

5 out of 5.

Great song.

Funny.

Good Moral:

Moral: Things don't always go as plan or want them to go. But good friends can soften the blow...

Also Important Moral: THE GODDESS EMPRESS CELESTIA! Hates the Gala. And she will destiny anything she hates..

P.S. I think HIGH PRIESTESS OF THE MOON PRINCESS LUNA had insurance taken out on the Gala.... As a wise PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT would.

P.S.S.: Clearly GOD EMPRESS CELESTIA gave her inside information on the Insurance ideals. but in her dreams where no one but Luna Would be able to listen in... and in the saucy bits. Because that is where Luna would hang out. Because she's kind of a creep like that.

Edited by blackstarraven

• 9 months later...

Except for further proving to me, that Fluttershy was never really shy at all, since i know a few shy people in real life and they wouldnt scream nearly as much as Fluttershy did in all of Season one, it was a good Episode. Also i know, that it might be, that a few shy people act like Fluttershy, but i dont know any examples, so it just seems unlikely to me.

The Episode was funny enough and also had a really good Song. It was funny to see the Mane 6 go a bit crazy, even though the only two People that messed the Party up, were Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, all the others did fine actually, specially Twilight, who...basically didnt do anything weird at all.

• 4 months later...

Fun episode, though some of them were doomed before it started. Someone needs to tell Applejack that Free Food > Paid Food, usually.

I felt Fluttershy acted a bit OOC in her reactions. She went a bit too crazy.

Spike was right, but I don’t entirely like the message. To a degree, there was nothing wrong with their plans. They just took it too far. They could have done a mix of both.