NavelColt

116 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

What's not to like about this episode? The 'At the Gala' song is very good. Each character had their expectations of what the night was going to be like which goes completely south. I will admit that Fluttershy's mental break down was a little weird. Rarity smashing her glass slipper always gets a laugh out of me.

• 1 month later...

Two classics in a row! What a way to end the season! This episode doesn't just end the season, it also ends the arc of the mane six becoming best friends in an amazing way. The episode delivers 6 mini stories and each one contributes something funny. The payoff for the Grand Galloping Gala arc was genius, the comedy is fantastic, the song was great, and the entire episode is one of the best of the show.

Score: 10/10

• 1 month later...

Proof that a season finale doesn't necessarily need to be an epic battle with a huge villain. This was a very fun episode that doesn't try to be something it isn't. The humour is on point and there's never really a dull moment. Fantastic way to end the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was always hoping that Best Night would be how they ended every season. No unanswered (previously posed) questions, no cliffhangers, no drama. It was just a perfect feel-good ep. Also, At The Gala is probably the song that gets stuck in my head the most.

• 2 months later...

Seeing crazy fluttershy is the best thing ever. It was a very entertaining episode that led to a nice conclusion to the first season. Celestia enjoying the havoc was for me at least, predictable and funny. I wish we got more of blueblood in future episodes just to know how he is a prince at all. 9/10

Not every finale has to include a fight to save the world, a well done slice of life episode can be just what we need. 

• 4 months later...

I remember this was another one of those episodes I'd rewatch a gazillion times haha. Very cute and I loved the songs. 9/10 

The Mane 6 looked amazing in their gala dresses :darling:

• 7 months later...

Very fun and lighthearted.  The first and last simple and fun season finale.  Every subsequent one had to be an apocalyptic, doom of Equestria event.  It was nice to have a simple one.  It was really neat how they did the throwback to this episode in the donut shop at the end of The End of the End Pt II.  This one had fake Spitfire voice, right?  They didn't get real Spitfire voice until S2.  Unless the VA just did it really differently.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

It's basically the end of  season arch about the great galloping gala and I think it's good and lighthearted.To have these girls just some fun evening together without high stacks is definitely nice and I can enjoy this.  The fact that the gala is everything but what these six girls dreamed about it, is also a good lesson.

A good ending for season one and good episode.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This episode was amazing! Without a doubt, the funniest episode of the season.

EDIT:Expanded Thoughts: The song was awesome, the jokes are really funny, and I just love how this show was just wanna have fun. My favorite part of this entire episode was Fluttershy when she get really angry. That cracked me up so hard every time I watched it.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

It's the season 1 finale, so of course the writers had to go all out on this one

There's little to dislike about this episode. The animation was good, each of the mane 6's antics were fun to watch, and the song 'At The Gala' does a great job at addressing each of their goals when heading to the Gala. In fact, I like how the episode made it pretty clear the Grand Galloping Gala is a fancy ball where formality is considered as the norm, not the traditional, fun kind where people have fun all night long. For me, I think it's fun to spot the number of continuities thrown into there, the mane 6's goals being a call back to 'The Ticket Master', Rainbow Dash saving the Wonderbolts back in 'Sonic Rainboom', the dresses Rarity made for her friends in 'Suited For Success'. Continuities... are... EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! (Also, you cannot look at the entire episode and say that you cannot see the Cinderella refrences)

Like I said before, there's little to dislike in the episode. In fact, most of the negatives in the episode I can find actually strengthened the episode. Prince Blueblood was snobby and entitled, but I'd say that just made Rarity's outburst towards him all the better. The Wonderbolts were a bit ignorant of Rainbow even though they asked her to hang out with them, but let's be honest, they're national heroes and celebrities who most likely have a lot of stuff planned out for them, so it wouldn't be surprising that they have very little time for Rainbow, even after her attempts to get their attention. Finally, Fluttershy was oddly mean-spirited about being friends with the garden animals, but I'd attribute that to the animals' instincts being triggered by fear, plus Fluttershy acting wild is always fun to watch.

Great plot, great moral, great episode, it does a great job as a season 1 finale. No one was acting or doing something that would make me cringe or hate about the episode. (maybe Fluttershy's odd behavior, but it barely does any bad the episode as a whole) I can definitely imagine this episode being on a lot of people's top 10 season 1 episodes.

Edited by Reality Check

Looking back at this episode, I can safely say that this was a super strong way to wrap up the season. It's a clear cut lesson for everyone about expectations. We all have them, and because we as humans aren't perfect, it won't always go the way we want. The montage during The Pony Pokey is a really great example. You cannot forget about the masterpiece that is "At The Gala", gah I'd say that's the #1 song of Season 1. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love this episode. It's one of my favourites of all time. Not only is this a fantastic way to end the first season, but it's proof that you don't need a super epic battle to make an amazing finale.

The gala has been built up from the start of the season, which allowed the episode to feel both satisfying and important in the grand scheme of things. The animation shined brighter than ever here. Like they really went all out on this.

I really liked that they gave the each of the Mane Six their own kind of plotline here. I think my favourite was Pinkie and the Pony Pokey song - which is very underrated by the way! Seeing each of them reacting to everything going wrong lead to a lot pretty good moments. It's a funny perspective of the fact that things don't always go the way you expect it to. This episode also introduced us to the fan favourite character with a huge cult following - Prince Blueblood.

Nothing but good things to say here. Awesome episode and awesome way to end the season! :)

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 5 months later...
(edited)

I find it to be a very lovely episode.

It is relatable in the way it show that even if an episode/special/whatever doesn't match up to our expectations, we still got each other's company to enjoy amidst the chaos.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

• 1 year later...

This one was absolutely hilarious. My favorite part of it was Rarity's interactions with Prince Blueblood, it was so funny he was so snooty towards her and she got him dirty at the end! And he vomited when he tried commoner food, hah! The animation was very good, and I loved seeing the background ponies. It was cute to see Pinkie hugging them.

Funny that Celestia didn't charge them for property damage. Fluttershy wasn't being very kind though. 

• 2 months later...

Finally we get to the Gala. Where Applejack will make a lot of money, Rainbow will become a Wonderbolt, Rarity will become a Princess, Fluttershy will hang out with animals, Pinkie Pie will PARTAY with everyone and Twilight will spend all her night alone with Celestia. Right ? Right ? That's what's gonna happen here, right ?

Applejack, you know the food is provided right ? No one wants to buy your pastries when there's free food inside, however good it is.
Rainbow, relax, at least Spitfires knows your name now, that's better than you were at the start.
Rarity, don't you know prince Blueblood is not into mares ? That's what the latest magazines said.
Pinkie, there's a difference between a Gala and a Party, you should really check up on that.
Fluttershy, JUST ASK CELESTIA TO VISIT THE GARDEN !
Twilight, you're fine darling, I know how you feel. But you got to let your immortal god-like mentor do her job and *after* you might get to spend a little time with her.

8/10, these girls are crazy and I'm here for it.

• 5 months later...

By the way, I thought that if you think about it, the composition of the court ensemble band at Grand Gala is quite unusual!

I've never seen a piano, cello, sousaphone, and harp arrangement.

Amazingly,"I'm at the Grand Galloping Gala" was accompanied by this arrangement.

I would like to compose music with this arrangement someday...

download (11) (1).png