Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Keldeo from Pokemon was maybe a tiny bit based on MLP?

StarStriker

I mean, he does look just a little like a MLP character x3

Okay, I'm attempting not to start a whole, "Omg, Pokemon sooo copied MLP!!" or "MLP copied Pokemon you idiot!" so please don't start :s

Thoughts? :D

Posted Image

Edited by StarStriker

Posted Image

No I don't think it is based off mlp at all. I mean it doesn't even look like them. It's just some random animal they came up with. btw 5th gen sucks D:

• Brohoof 2

No, I don't think so. I think that they just came up with something that looked like a miniature horse. He doesn't really look like a character from MLP that much in my opinion. Too mush nose.

Posted Image

Edited by Jalaton

Keldo-who...?

TIME FOR GOOGLE-ACTION!!!

...the random trivia at the bottom of Bulbapedia says the following: "Keldeo is based on a Kelpie, a supernatural water horse that appeared as a lost pony, that dragged people to their deaths by drowning them."

Yup, totally based on MLP. But to be serious, not every appearance of a pony-like creature means that it's based of MLP FiM.

Posted Image

The thing is, they actually exist in real life. Long before MLP even aired... Yup.

Okay, I'm attempting not to start a whole, "Omg, Pokemon sooo copied MLP!!" or "MLP copied Pokemon you idiot!" so please don't start :s

Posted Image

We're not like that here. We're sophisticated and respectful on these forums. (well... most of us at least...)

Now back on topic, judging from that picture Jokuc posted, Imma say no, that Pokemon does not look like an MLP character. If you really think it does, then shouldn't you think that any other horse-related toy/game/show is also based on MLP?

I recently got that Pokemon at the Gamestop event. :D Pretty cool! I wish I had Pokemon Black 2 already....I have to wait, though!

And no, I really don't think that Keldeo was inspired by MLP. Nintendo just doesn't do that, and the style isn't that of MLP. Plus, why copy MLP? They had this idea probably for many years now, as they started creating the Pokemon Black/White Pokemon at around 2008-2009 (I Think).

Plus, what about Ponyta? ;) She evolves into Rapidash, and that definetaly isn't copied from MLP. Actually, MLP copied POKEMON.

Posted Image

And even THAT wasn't copied. It just coincidentaly looked like the Pokemon. However, I don't blame you for thinking it was based off MLP. It KINDA looks like it, but Pokemon/Nintendo would never really base things off of other shows, namely MLP. Also, you know the Pokemon Ninetales? Could Naruto have copied that (Pokemon came out before Naruto, and you know, the nine tailed fox)? But I don't think even that was copied either.

Edited by Pixiesong

I think Keldeo could have been inspired by FiM, at least to some extent. Satoshi Tajiri and Game Freak have to know by now how popular MLP is among such a wide audience. We all know that this series is garnering fans faster than Pokemon did in the same time span. And while I don't think the fanbase will reach the level Pokemon is at (though I could be wrong about this), the fact that this is now considered to be the most successful pony Gen in the history of the franchise is a little hard for major corporations to ignore. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Mystery Dungeon game featured characters with similar personalities to the mane 6.

Ok, I was being a bit extreme with that last sentence, but the point is, I'm sure they've noticed FiM's popularity by now.

Incidentally, Keldeo has an ability called Justified. According to Bulbapedia, Justified raises the user's Attack stat by one level when taking damage from a Dark-Type attack. Hmm... Interesting...

Edited by SBaby